Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The older show has good subs if you know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

The older show has good subs if you know where to look.

Specifically the OP

Garo is bad though. I've tried to like it for two and a half seasons but nope, it's bad.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Specifically the OP

Garo is bad though. I've tried to like it for two and a half seasons but nope, it's bad.

Yup, the one toku that much of ADTRW watched during a well received simulwatch is just objectively bad. You caught all of us who like it, it's a years long stretch of performance art.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yup, the one toku that much of ADTRW watched during a well received simulwatch is just objectively bad. You caught all of us who like it, it's a years long stretch of performance art.

I had a hard time enjoying GARO at first, and I put it off after only watching less than a dozen episodes. I eventually realized this was due to the terrible encoding job, as this is a show that deserves to be watched in high definition. Especially with the action scenes taking place at night. This realization came about due to watching a re-encoded version; it was like night and day. I re-watched all of the episodes I'd seen, and later when we got to Kouga's father and Zero, I was entirely sold on the show. I still think it has some of the best action scenes I've ever seen in a toku TV show.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Daler Mehndi posted:

I eventually realized this was due to the terrible encoding job, as this is a show that deserves to be watched in high definition.

It was not filmed in high definition, so good luck with this. Sadly.

Dammit all.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm glad you guys like it but in this thread where we post our opinions of toku I was expressing mine.

Garo is bad. The first two season's main character is worse then Squall Leonheart and the main love interest has zero personality. Rei is the best character and has the best episodes, but sadly takes a backseat in a lot of episodes.

The action is good until the CG kick in and then it looks just as bad as early CGified sentai.

The overall plot is just bad and goes no where and does nothing. When THIS:

Was revealed as the ultimate evil in Makai Senki I just about died laughing at how absurd it looked.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

AzraelNewtype posted:

It was not filmed in high definition, so good luck with this. Sadly.

Dammit all.

Oh? I must have confused the re-encoding with an HD version then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Classic Twisty posted:

It seems fairly consistent with the entire sentai continnum. Remember! It's a children's show

How one show deals with comedy can be very different compared to another's.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

HKR posted:

Garo is bad. The first two season's main character is worse then Squall Leonheart and the main love interest has zero personality. Rei is the best character and has the best episodes, but sadly takes a backseat in a lot of episodes.

The action is good until the CG kick in and then it looks just as bad as early CGified sentai.
I still haven't mustered the motivation to finish the first season (the second season was my starting point for Garo after the Requiem movie.) Regardless of what you think of Garo, everyone should watch Makeup (Makai Senki episode 9) if only for the amazing out of suit fight sequence at the end. It's my favorite out of everything I've seen! :allears: It's very plot-light so you can just watch that and never watch another again if that's what your heart desires.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also, the season that's running right now has one common complaint: not enough in-suit fighting. Which is to say, there's dramatically less of that CG you hate so much. Also the new lead is basically as far from Kouga in temperament as you can get.

We're half way through the series now, and aside from not knowing who the Tribune are when they're namechecked in this most recent episode, I can't think of anything in particular you need to have seen the previous entires for.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How does the announcer keep his voice, good god that man needs several raises. How did he not run out of breath or die laughing while saying the preview.

http://i.imgur.com/j52mNt1.jpg

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RBX posted:

How does the announcer keep his voice, good god that man needs several raises. How did he not run out of breath or die laughing while saying the preview.

That picture is amazing! :allears:

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

RBX posted:

He's honed his craft for decades. His Hokuto no Ken previews get progressively more intense as the series goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_D_p-zZafA

I guess that he's gotten accustomed to this sort of intensity in his voice.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Potsticker posted:

Continuing Kyoryu spoilers: So, with Silver and Violet both being guys, this is largest guy to girl ratio in Sentai yet. A surprise especially given Sakamoto's involvement.
Well, there were rumors that Nao Nagasawa/Hurricane Blue was suppose to be a Spirit Ranger, meaning she's essentially appeared in every single Toku show since Hurricanger ended. Including two different seasons of Kamen Rider, and even indirectly in Akibaranger! She is Gokai Silver irl :v:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 10, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Brother Entropy posted:

Spoilers for next week: He doesn't just have a revolver, he's the dude who made the revolvers. He's also being played by Sonny Chiba which means Kyoryu Violet used his own voice for the revolver noises. :haw:

Shigeru Chiba, not Sonny Chiba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigeru_Chiba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Chiba

I'm also going to bet that his granddaughter takes over for him as KyoryuViolet since the promotional materials say he's coming back to Earth to retire.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 10, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Well, there were rumors that Nao Nagasawa/Hurricane Blue was suppose to be a Spirit Ranger, meaning she's essentially appeared in every single Toku show since Hurricanger ended. Including two different seasons of Kamen Rider, and even indirectly in Akibaranger! She is Gokai Silver irl :v:

Yeah, I remember hearing that rumor too. It would be great if she showed up anyway, even if not a ranger.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing that rumor too. It would be great if she showed up anyway, even if not a ranger.

Nossan needs a girlfriend

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
With all this talk of the new Go-Busters movie owning bones I decided to give Go-Busters another shot and holy poo poo what was I thinking a year ago this is awesome.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Pacific Rim reminded me a lot of early GoBusters.

Also, Pacific Rim is the best movie ever.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Is anyone subbing Kamen Teacher? It just started last week, and didn't see anything from the sub groups I watch, so I was wondering if anyone was subbing it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also anyone doing Ultraman Ginga? First episode has a raw out and I might be slightly interested in it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Are scrubs any good, or are they just TV-N subtitles with readable font, translated attack names, and the baka-chan-tachi taken out? Because aren't TV-N subtitles still consistently incorrect?

In case it makes a difference, I'm asking specifically about the Go-Onger scrub, but I'm also asking in general.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What I saw of that guy's stuff seemed fine.

But if you didn't like Gekiranger you probably shouldn't watch Go-onger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

What I saw of that guy's stuff seemed fine.

But if you didn't like Gekiranger you probably shouldn't watch Go-onger.
It wasn't Gekiranger's humor that I didn't like, it was when it tried and failed to be serious that made me so intensely dislike it. From what I've heard about Go-Onger, it never tried to be serious.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

HKR posted:

Also anyone doing Ultraman Ginga? First episode has a raw out and I might be slightly interested in it.

I poked around OT's site yesterday seeing if I could find a mention, but I guess they're still recovering from the Spring From Hell and aren't eager to start doing another series. OT guy, please prove me wrong.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Well Akibaranger 2 is over so that should leave room for something new.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Well Akibaranger 2 is over so that should leave room for something new.
Possibly Dekaranger?
*crosses fingers for Shinkenger*

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I think they finished translating Timeranger. Timing and QC is another story.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

toomanyninjas posted:

I poked around OT's site yesterday seeing if I could find a mention, but I guess they're still recovering from the Spring From Hell and aren't eager to start doing another series. OT guy, please prove me wrong.

Not the same OT guy you were thinking of, but I wrote this for you.

Re: Time, it's been timed since forever, and it only just finished being translated. The only things that are left to be translated are the silly recap and the VS. 14 is mostly on the way out, while 15-16 are on the encoding pipeline. The rest is at editing.

I think Shinken's stuck at editing, so we're more likely to release Deka and Time in the meantime.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Time to pick up Time I guess!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are scrubs any good, or are they just TV-N subtitles with readable font, translated attack names, and the baka-chan-tachi taken out? Because aren't TV-N subtitles still consistently incorrect?

In case it makes a difference, I'm asking specifically about the Go-Onger scrub, but I'm also asking in general.

It varies wildly. Go-onger's scrub I think is pretty much just a removal of the Japanese. Gekiranger's scrub is a removal of comprehensibility along with the Japanese, because they tried to edit and made everything worse. GARO and Agito were corrected where mistakes were obvious enough for them, and edited to read like actual English where possible.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Ignis posted:

Not the same OT guy you were thinking of, but I wrote this for you.

Thanks! I just wanted to know whether to wait or go looking elsewhere. I really appreciate all you guys do.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It wasn't Gekiranger's humor that I didn't like, it was when it tried and failed to be serious that made me so intensely dislike it. From what I've heard about Go-Onger, it never tried to be serious.

You're not going to like the Wings' intro arc, then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Justin_Brett posted:

They're serious for maybe like two episodes tops before the brother goes into a guitar solo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It wasn't so much they were serious as the show had already made fun of that kind of hard-rear end character type with Gunpei. And then those two show up and get to be played totally straight.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm halfway through Go-Busters and I can't believe I didn't like this show when it was first coming out this is amazing.

Edit: Akibaranger Season 1 is a lot funnier after seeing the blatant acceleration towards the original endgame in Gobuseters 28.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 12, 2013

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

It is pretty interesting how Go-on Gold manages to stop one monster from going giant by stealing his Bikkurium right out of him after delivering the deathblow. It's at least something that probably hasn't been done that much.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm so glad my worries about Kyoryuger were unfounded, it's been great so far and things are looking up. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to combine space into the newest dinosaur show.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Agent Rush posted:

I'm so glad my worries about Kyoryuger were unfounded, it's been great so far and things are looking up. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to combine space into the newest dinosaur show.

You didn't? Obviously team Over-Time did. Why else do you think we've had the Fourze based theme for so long? Everything is going according to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Everything is going according to plan.
* plan means keikaku

• Locked thread