Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I enjoy the Space Sheriffs, so I thought I'd try another Metal Hero series to see if I would enjoy more. I'd only seen bits and pieces of Juuko B-Fighter and wasn't immediately impressed so instead I watched the first episode of Juspion. It was so awful!

:( I guess Metal Heroes are all dead to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Track down Metalder.

It is amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AzraelNewtype posted:

You didn't? Obviously team Over-Time did. Why else do you think we've had the Fourze based theme for so long? Everything is going according to plan.

Let's just hope Gaimu has some thing you can use for ____-Time jokes. You got lucky with Wizard and his catch phrase. So far you've had W-Time, OOOver-time, SPACE-TIME, and Show-Time.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Burkion posted:

Track down Metalder.

It is amazing.

Just finished the first episode -- awesome; I was surprised how serious and sensible the villain's plot is. I don't remember a whole lot of VR Troopers from my mornings before school, but this looks like it'll nicely wash its taste out of my mouth (or at least half of it).

Most likely I wouldn't have tried this out on my own. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now if someone would just sub the rest of Gavan so I can upgrade from the horrible HK subs.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

toomanyninjas posted:

Just finished the first episode -- awesome; I was surprised how serious and sensible the villain's plot is. I don't remember a whole lot of VR Troopers from my mornings before school, but this looks like it'll nicely wash its taste out of my mouth (or at least half of it).

Most likely I wouldn't have tried this out on my own. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now if someone would just sub the rest of Gavan so I can upgrade from the horrible HK subs.

GUIS should be starting up Spielvan soonish, once they get caught up on Bioman.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
This has to be a record for longest solo henshin sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDQ_bggqSg

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toomanyninjas posted:

Metalder is pretty fantastic all the way through. I have some issues with how it ends, but considering the show got cut short it ends better than one could hope.

The best part is the HK subs that fill in the gap between, I think, 21 and 30, are just about the best possible HK subs you can imagine. There's some odd grammar here and there, but they're arguably better than some other fansub groups.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Dr Tran posted:

This has to be a record for longest solo henshin sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDQ_bggqSg

I knew I was going to love this character from the moment I saw him in the toy catalog images.

edit: OK, I just watched the whole episode. This could be the greatest episode of Kyoryuger ever.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 15, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

AzraelNewtype posted:

You didn't? Obviously team Over-Time did. Why else do you think we've had the Fourze based theme for so long? Everything is going according to plan.

No, I thought Dinosaur Samba would have been enough to carry the series but clearly I was thinking inside the box.

EDIT: Hooray, another Purple Ranger who's awesome! This is the best week.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 15, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, so if "color of chest band" is an indication of spirit ranger vs. still alive, then that means that the red-and-blue ranger in the Kyoryuger movie preview is a spirit. Interesting.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Hmm, so if "color of chest band" is an indication of spirit ranger vs. still alive, then that means that the red-and-blue ranger in the Kyoryuger movie preview is a spirit. Interesting.

Has Utchy been dead all along? :iiam:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

He is the 6th ranger in a Dino series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

It really bugs me that his outfit is so unique compared to the rest of the team. If rangers 6-10 all had custom suits, I'd be okay with it, but he stands apart way too much.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Agent Rush posted:

`
Hooray, another Purple Ranger who's awesome! This is the best week.

Indeed. This does make me a little sad we likely won't be getting Kyoryuger Ranger Keys, because now I just want an official Kyoryu Violet key to go with the Geki Violet key I still want to get.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

jivjov posted:

It really bugs me that his outfit is so unique compared to the rest of the team. If rangers 6-10 all had custom suits, I'd be okay with it, but he stands apart way too much.

Well, he is the only one who can fly, so the wing addition on his suit makes sense to me. At least that's how I've rationalized it to myself.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I hope Torin/Silver and Violet get alot of action scenes. And I know they better than the epic final battle with all 10 of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wait wait wait, related to that spoiler, is Torin Kyoryu Silver? If so, how does that even work?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Well the scans of the toys made it obvious I thought. Silver's Revolver is red,blue,and white. And with his zord being huge and loving epic i'm guessing it's around ep 30-soemthing or so.

Whoever did today's episode had to have helped on the Go-busters movie. It feels so weird that we're almost half way through the series. This is the first time i've gotten to watch while it was on air.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Over-Time just rolled out Ultraman Ginga. If I know absolutely nothing about Ultraman, what do I need to know/will I enjoy Ginga?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 16, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

Over-Time just rolled out Ultraman Ginga. If I know absolutely nothing about Gingaman, what do I need to know/will I enjoy Ginga?

Guy's grow big and metally, fight rubber monsters. Sometimes guys who used to get big and metally join the fight.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also if you want to appreciate the work AzraelNewtype puts into making the the these shows look good, watch Bima-Anon's sub of Bima Satria Garuda and lose your lunch every time there's scrolling text across the screen.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

jivjov posted:

Over-Time just rolled out Ultraman Ginga. If I know absolutely nothing about Gingaman, what do I need to know/will I enjoy Ginga?

Nothing because it's not a Super Sentai show. It's in fact an Ultra show. So they have nothing to do with each other. I guess you could call it Ultra's version of Gokaiger though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Uznare posted:

Nothing because it's not a Super Sentai show. It's in fact an Ultra show. So they have nothing to do with each other. I guess you could call it Ultra's version of Gokaiger though.

Derp, I meant to type Ultraman there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Derp, I meant to type Ultraman there.

Nah, you're just channeling Luna. 12th episode of Akibaranger 2 is enough to get a good idea of what Ultraman is.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

HKR posted:

Also if you want to appreciate the work AzraelNewtype puts into making the the these shows look good, watch Bima-Anon's sub of Bima Satria Garuda and lose your lunch every time there's scrolling text across the screen.

They (and the other youtube groups working on it) can't really help it - apparently nobody in Indonesia has the required instruments to cap tv shows with decent quality, since those are literally the only raws available.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Oh yeah, I understand that, but it makes you really appreciate the effort put into the other weeklies.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
how much of this guide is bullshit?

[img]http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/m/image/1339/72/1339720168992.jpg[img]

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Starting at Kabuto would likely be a poor idea. People say start at W but I would avoid it because it may be the best goddamned rider show there is. Maybe Black would be a good start? Black or Kuuga or Agito are probably great entrances.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Starting with Kabuto is fine as hell. It's what I started with and I'm still here, however many years and series later. I think I've said in his thread before but the best advice is to go with whatever looks good and sounds interesting to you. I mean, if I had tried starting with agito I would've given up on the franchise after one episode since the first ep was so boring.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

People say start at W but I would avoid it because it may be the best goddamned rider show there is.

I still don't get the logic in this. I started with W and I've had no problems enjoying other Riders I've watched since.

I mean yeah, it's probably still my favorite but that kinda seems like a popular opinion in general no matter when you watched it.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

DiscoJ posted:

I think I've said in his thread before but the best advice is to go with whatever looks good and sounds interesting to you.

I started with Fourze because of this reasoning and I have no regrets. It was hokey at times, but so enjoyable.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I'm new to all this, but I started with Kamen Rider Black, and it entertained the hell out of me and got me thinking "I want more of this; where do I go from here?", so it worked as a starting point for me.

I'm working my way through the beginning of Kamen Rider W based on recommendations from this thread and having a blast. One thing I didn't think of beforehand but am noticing is that I like the simplicity of the W costume (even given the half-and-half gimmick; sell those toys, son!), which is one similarity it has with Black, even if the tone of the shows is different. They both have a very clean design that I find very appealing; some of the other Riders in that picture have much more busy designs.

Also, Chojin Sentai Jetman is good, campy fun so far. It was recommended to me on my appreciation of Black's earnestness, and what I've seen has a similar quality.

Thanks for the recs, guys!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just finishing Go-Busters Returns after marathoning the series, and goddamn..

I guess, above all else, I love that Go-Busters exists, and that nothing else like it ever will again. Something that took that many risks with a notoriously formulaic franchise deserves to stand unique.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm new to all this, but I started with Kamen Rider Black, and it entertained the hell out of me and got me thinking "I want more of this; where do I go from here?", so it worked as a starting point for me.

I'm working my way through the beginning of Kamen Rider W based on recommendations from this thread and having a blast. One thing I didn't think of beforehand but am noticing is that I like the simplicity of the W costume (even given the half-and-half gimmick; sell those toys, son!), which is one similarity it has with Black, even if the tone of the shows is different. They both have a very clean design that I find very appealing; some of the other Riders in that picture have much more busy designs.

Also, Chojin Sentai Jetman is good, campy fun so far. It was recommended to me on my appreciation of Black's earnestness, and what I've seen has a similar quality.

Thanks for the recs, guys!

The actor who plays Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider is Black, and he actually asks for some Black-related in-jokes that you'll see later on.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Ryou's luck with women is disturbingly similar to batman's

EDIT:

ImpAtom posted:

The actor who plays Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider is Black, and he actually asks for some Black-related in-jokes that you'll see later on.

wait wuhh

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 17, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ImpAtom posted:

This post confused the hell out of me until I realized you meant "(The actor who plays Shotaro)'s favorite Kamen Rider" as opposed to "The actor who plays (Shotaro's favorite Kamen Rider)"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What a coincidence, I started with W and now i've moved on to Kabuto today. It has a pretty awesome theme and similar aesthetic. I'm trying to decide if i'm gonna keep watching the dub or the ~TV-Nihon subs~. I have a feeling W is the best i'm gonna get but whatever it's not like two shows can't be good. Nobody really cares what the "best" is but weirdos.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
is hibiki and decade really as bad as people make them out to be?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Hibiki wasn't popular with kids and changed format a lot about halfway in which is why people dislike it. Decade is a loving weird mess of a character who's a smug dick and murders childhood icons for ill defined reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Blackest Goon posted:

is hibiki and decade really as bad as people make them out to be?

Hibiki is the best rider show ever made...for the first 29 episodes of its run. Then it runs into Inoue and welp.

• Locked thread