Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
is he more of a smug dick than tendou?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Blackest Goon posted:

They're on roughly equal footing.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Decade was a hot mess for sure. It was quite fun to watch though and it had more variety in stories and action sequences than most single shows (a benefit of the anniversary gimmick) but it's storyline made no real sense and it was oddly disrespectful of the seasons it was meant to be honouring. I don't regret watching it though. If you give up on expecting a coherent storyline, it's not so bad.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Decade is two shows, a really entertaining one that we rarely get to see, and a really bad one that takes up most of the screentime.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
What is the general consensus here so far of Wizard?

I've asked this before and you assholes never answered it! :-(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It has a weak early-game but it improves alot once Beast enters the picture. It's not the best but it's perfectly watchable.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Its really boring. Not outright bad, just boring. The show pulls its punches like hell (don't expect to see much in the way of people dieing,) has a very generic lead after three years in a row of unique mains and a "mysterious (generic) head villain who barely even shows up. It hasn't happened yet but they are obviously pushing towards a twist final few episodes that has been pretty well telegraphed for awhile now.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I don't know how about here specifically, but the consensus I've seen seems to range from It's poo poo to It's Boring. I think it's really just aggressively average. It doesn't help that it's coming off the heels of W, OOO, and Fourze, which I thought were all great in different ways, and that it's airing alongside Kyoryuger, which is a WAY funner show. Things are a little stacked against Wizard, I'd be interested in seeing what people would have thought of it had it aired several years earlier, probably before a lot of people would have been following it weekly.

It's probably a fine show to have as your introduction to Rider. Some of the key themes aren't explored at all and it isn't super great, but it does the job I guess. Having the most modern effects will probably help ease a lot of folks into it too. I wouldn't recommend it as a starter specifically, but if circumstances just so happened to be such that Wizard was someone's first show, I wouldn't really fear for their continued interest in the series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

The show pulls its punches like hell (don't expect to see much in the way of people dieing,)

This is kind of a weird criticism given the rest of the Neo-Heisei era.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DiscoJ posted:

Decade was a hot mess for sure. It was quite fun to watch though and it had more variety in stories and action sequences than most single shows (a benefit of the anniversary gimmick)
This was Gokaiger's strongest point by a country mile.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Just finished Agito a few hours ago.

The final fight doesn't really hold up to Kuuga's and the ending was a okay

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

This is kind of a weird criticism given the rest of the Neo-Heisei era.

OOOs had onscreen death as well as showing scenes of areas immediately after monster attacks where everyone who was there ceased to exist. W had death in flash backs. Fourze... was lighthearted and aside from the whole Kengo thing didn't have any. But Wizard is unique in that the whole point of each episode is the villains trying to kill a specific person and it literally never happens. Twice the villains have even succeeded but a special incredibly rare event lets the person live anyway. The villains get NOTHING each and every 2 episode arc, without exception. Are we really supposed to fear these guys? To even think they have a chance? I mean obviously no villain groups do, but when you watch the end of, say, Goseiger, you want to see how they are going to get out of the mess they are in.

Agito's ending was so odd because it felt to me that the series wrapped up around episode 42 where Souichi regained his memories and we got a replay of the Akatsuki Incident. Then we get eight episodes of a sort of slice of life show with monster attacks. I sort of liked that they had the guts to do that but was really let down by the fact that his social habits don't really change at all after the incident. Hell, he stops using his real name in less than an episode.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 17, 2013

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
For the record, I love Wizard, though I'm aware it's not really everyone's cup of tea.

However, I must point out that the Phantoms' goal is to make more Phantoms, not kill Gates. So they're not actually trying to kill a specific person.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TheGreenAvenger posted:

However, I must point out that the Phantoms' goal is to make more Phantoms, not kill Gates. So they're not actually trying to kill a specific person.

They do try to use the fear of death to cause despair though, so they're not above grievous injury.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheGreenAvenger posted:

For the record, I love Wizard, though I'm aware it's not really everyone's cup of tea.

And the way they try every episode is by killing a specific gate. I should say though that Wizard's plots are a bit more complex in nature than, for example, Fourze's or OOO's so this is one series where the two episode arcs don't wear out their welcome quite so fast. Stuff like this/next week's episodes wouldn't really have been possible with just twenty five minutes to tell the story.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Well yeah, technically, but turning into a Phantom basically does kill the person. What's left is something that acts like them and looks like them, but ultimately isn't them.

It would be a really creepy concept if they did much with it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm up to episode 29 of Black so far and I'm really excited about Shadowmoon. I've enjoyed the series up to this point for how fun and old school it is, but the story hasn't gone very far from the set up of the first episode, so a new development will help a lot in regaining some of the steam the endless wave of kids in need has taken away.

I will say though that Black has the single best power up episode of all time. Can't punch hard enough to beat Crab Mutant? Only the desperation of saving The Fluffiest Puppy from certain doom can bring forth that kind of strength! I've shown that scene to basically everyone now. What was that puppy even doing in the quarry, and what does Kotaro do with it afterward?! Unnecessary questions, crab battle time!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

is hibiki and decade really as bad as people make them out to be?

If you like fog and bad camera angles you will like hibiki

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm up to episode 29 of Black so far and I'm really excited about Shadowmoon. I've enjoyed the series up to this point for how fun and old school it is, but the story hasn't gone very far from the set up of the first episode, so a new development will help a lot in regaining some of the steam the endless wave of kids in need has taken away.

I will say though that Black has the single best power up episode of all time. Can't punch hard enough to beat Crab Mutant? Only the desperation of saving The Fluffiest Puppy from certain doom can bring forth that kind of strength! I've shown that scene to basically everyone now. What was that puppy even doing in the quarry, and what does Kotaro do with it afterward?! Unnecessary questions, crab battle time!

Remember to touch your knees!

After reading this I went back and watched that episode again and was reminded that I love the music in that show.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Decided the next KR show I'm watching is Blade.

Is there anything I should know beforehand (besides it having the most fangirl-friendly intro of the entire franchise)?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You should know there are some good parody videos of the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXhcgIfhLM

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Decided the next KR show I'm watching is Blade.

Is there anything I should know beforehand (besides it having the most fangirl-friendly intro of the entire franchise)?

I'm pretty sure that I've been told before that TV-N's subtitles for the first half of the series don't match what's being said at all, if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
was expecting a parody of the first OP :(

EDIT: I already know.

It's TV-Nihon

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Son Ryo posted:

I'm pretty sure that I've been told before that TV-N's subtitles for the first half of the series don't match what's being said at all, if that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

Specifically, this is how bad it is:

http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/tagged/kamen-rider-blade

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The difference between Tsukasa and Tendou is that Tsukasa often gets his comuppance whereas Tendou never does. Tsukasa is allowed to be wrong and often is made to look goofy. Decade's plot may be more of a mess than even is standard for Rider shows, but the characters are enjoyable and if you go in expecting that they make a mess of all the AR worlds rather than Gokaiger's treatment of the previous sentai teams then you should be fine.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Oh and this thing too I guess.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I posted the ranger keys in the other thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3535564&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I started off with W as my first Rider series, and I don't think it was a terrible mistake. I'm watching Wizard right now, and while it's a bit of a mess it's still entertaining. I haven't watched Fourze or O's just because I don't think I could put up with the leads for more than a few movies.

That said, I'd also give my right arm for more W movies, another series somehow, or whatever I could get beyond suit cameos in movies. I'm also aware that this is pretty much not going to happen, but a guy can dream.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like its time to shell out for the Legacy Megazord. I was on the fence since there was no DragonZord.

My hope now is that the Green/White coins (and hell, maybe the gold plated morpher) are available at retail and aren't solely ComicCon exclusive.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Eiji isn't bad, the underwear thing only comes up occasionally and it never derails the plot. If anything I remember more people criticizing him for just being there while Ankh and the Greed drag the plot along.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Darksaber posted:

I haven't watched Fourze or O's just because I don't think I could put up with the leads for more than a few movies.

Gentaro is the best lead in the franchise.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hey guys, Podcasters with Attitude is still chugging along and I need new guests. So if you want to help us and have some fun, message me on Skype @ liarlyresa.

But hey, Kyoryuger stuff! Kyoryu Violet might be one of my favorite characters ever. He's just the most eccentric scientist I've ever seen. He's my hero. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Gentaro is a good lead but his supporting cast tends to get underutilized outside of the movies which hurts him too.

He really does shine in the movies though because his cast gets to actually do stuff. I even kind of liked Ryusei in the new movie. Maybe it was just because he was alongside Haruto, the amazing man born without charisma.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

jivjov posted:

Looks like its time to shell out for the Legacy Megazord. I was on the fence since there was no DragonZord.

My hope now is that the Green/White coins (and hell, maybe the gold plated morpher) are available at retail and aren't solely ComicCon exclusive.

What's the big difference between the Legacy Megazord and the original HD season release? Just a new paintjob and some chrome?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

404GoonNotFound posted:

What's the big difference between the Legacy Megazord and the original HD season release? Just a new paintjob and some chrome?

From what I understand, it's a lot better put together, using die-cast parts instead of shiny plastic. It may also be slightly larger (the Legacy Morpher was 110% the size of the original one, not sure if the Megazord is as well)

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

From what I understand, it's a lot better put together, using die-cast parts instead of shiny plastic. It may also be slightly larger (the Legacy Morpher was 110% the size of the original one, not sure if the Megazord is as well)

The Legacy one is identical to the 2010 mold, they just added the die-cast in place of some of the plastic, and gave it show accurate stickers/paint. It's still smaller than the 1993 Megazord, since all the modern US Megazord toys are smaller than the Japanese counterparts.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

Thinking about it, Gentaro really is one of my favorite Riders. I don't speak that fondly of Fourze on a whole, but I certainly can't fault it for it's lead. He brought a lot of energy and personality to the role.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

OZC posted:

The Legacy one is identical to the 2010 mold, they just added the die-cast in place of some of the plastic, and gave it show accurate stickers/paint. It's still smaller than the 1993 Megazord, since all the modern US Megazord toys are smaller than the Japanese counterparts.

To be more exact, basically almost all the gray bits and limbs on the megazord were replaced with diecast. It's only slightly smaller than the MMPR version and a bit sleeker with different types of connectors. The Dragonzord will probably be quite different too since the original is completely incompatible with the redesigned Megazord.

Mostly I want to make the Legacy Dragonzord Warrior Mode so I can put my original back into Ultrazord formation until they release Legacy Titanus.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

AzraelNewtype posted:

And Kougami's the best supporting character. SUBARASHI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Perigryn posted:

And Kougami's the best supporting character. SUBARASHI!

I think you misspelled KaGAmi there.

And Tsurugi. And Misaki, Tadokoro, Daisuke, Gon, Kageyama and Yaguruma. As much as I dislike Kabuto, it had some fantastic non-Tendou, non-Hiyori characters.

OOOs had other great characters too. Date, Gotou, Dr. Maki and Satonaka.

• Locked thread