Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Perigryn posted:

And Kougami's the best supporting character. SUBARASHI!

I'm still irked that Megamax didn't give him and Gentarou a chance to meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I still like OOOs more then Fourze and actually hold it right up there with W.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
So this is a thing that apparently exists.

quote:

The upcoming Power Rangers series is using our beloved Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger as a toy commercial for the twentieth anniversary that rightfully belongs to the original Japanese Super Sentai Series which is an iconic artform in Japan. Saban doesn't understand how much of a masterpiece Super Sentai is and has continued to create season after season of a show that talks down to its audience with bland characters instead of teaching them better and more realistic life lessons with sophisticated characters that are well loved and cared about. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger is going to be the next victim in this copy cat massacre. As fans we have a god given right to speak up and not let good art go to waste. Let the american people and Saban know that corruption has to stop even with good television shows.

:laffo: Yeah have fun with that buddy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He's right though, Sentai is not one big toy commercial. Now let me show you guys my collection of Ranger keys, Hidden Disks, Engine Souls, and Batteries...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I was with him in concept. On the whole, Sentai is much better at not talking down to the audience (and seems to have much better acting [but that could just be the language barrier masking bad acting]) than Power Rangers. But he completely lost me at calling Super Sentai an 'iconic artform' and 'great masterpiece', as well as going on about our 'god given right' to protest.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I was with him in concept. On the whole, Sentai is much better at not talking down to the audience (and seems to have much better acting [but that could just be the language barrier masking bad acting]) than Power Rangers. But he completely lost me at calling Super Sentai an 'iconic artform' and 'great masterpiece', as well as going on about our 'god given right' to protest.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sentai is not art. Shinkenger may tell a wonderful story about a young man who carries an incredible burden that makes him detached from others, self-loathing, and even wishing for death on some level. But he still transforms into an action figure using a cell phone pen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think that is also a case by case basis, but then again I prefer Power Rangers just because I really like connecting stories and how they can build up to amazing things. See In Space for that. Mind after In Space that has largely dwindled, but I'm hoping it'll change in the future.

And yeah, that petition is all kinds of hilarious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I think that is also a case by case basis, but then again I prefer Power Rangers just because I really like connecting stories and how they can build up to amazing things. See In Space for that. Mind after In Space that has largely dwindled, but I'm hoping it'll change in the future.

And yeah, that petition is all kinds of hilarious.

Agreed there. All the Sentai shows take place in their own pocket universes (except when they don't, like teamup movies and Gokaiger), but the first 6 seasons of Power Rangers had a pretty good through-line narrative, despite rotating cast in and out.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's just one huge waste of time really. Want to boycott a TV show? Just don't watch it, how simple is that? I don't even understand to logic behind this petition, how would Power Rangers going away benefit Sentai one bit?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JT Smiley posted:

It's just one huge waste of time really. Want to boycott a TV show? Just don't watch it, how simple is that? I don't even understand to logic behind this petition, how would Power Rangers going away benefit Sentai one bit?

Hell, it'd probably harm Sentai. I would imagine Bandai or someone gets a nice check every year so Saban has the rights to adapt the show and the toys.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
On one hand that guy is hilarious, but on the other Power Rangers: Spy Force is probably going to be painful for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really curious how they're going to take Go Busters and Dancin' Dinos. Go Busters is just such an odd show in general, and PR adapting Parody Sentai in the past has lead to two very, titanically different things. Turbo, which is arguably one of the most godawful things ever produced Japanese or American or Chinese or whatever, and RPM which was loving fantastic.

And that's without realizing/considering that they're almost definitely going to combine the two the same way they're combining Gosei and Gokaiger. It's just, what in the hell are we going to get here? The future of Power Rangers is a scary, bizarre, wonderful thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really can't see how they could possibly combine Go-Busters and Kyoryuger. It makes even less sense than the Goesi-Gokai merge.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

I really can't see how they could possibly combine Go-Busters and Kyoryuger. It makes even less sense than the Goesi-Gokai merge.

I don't know, but there's a sick part of me that wants to see them try...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mikeycp posted:

I don't know, but there's a sick part of me that wants to see them try...

God, you are a sick sick person....but man, I wanna see it too.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What Saban needs to do is make a Summer season and then Winter season to get through the back log. Seriously, one year for 20 episodes is dumb. Just crank them out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we even know when Megaforce is coming back on the air? Its been, what 3 or 4 months since the last aired, we've been seeing all sorts of Super Megaforce stuff, and all I've seen is "Megaforce coming back soon"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Burkion posted:

And that's without realizing/considering that they're almost definitely going to combine the two the same way they're combining Gosei and Gokaiger.

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

This is assuming that Nick keeps them to the schedule they're forced to have. Which is also something to remember, Saban is not purposely only making 20 episodes a year-that's a mandate from Nick.

If they changed channels you'd likely see a shift to the old style again.

However I'd still lay money down that we'd get another hybrid season, purely so that we aren't three years behind anymore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Is being three years behind a bad thing, though? It's probably easier on the people working on the show to have some breathing room to know what the whole thing is like so they don't get blindsided by some twist near the end that they have to suddenly take into account and I doubt the people who stick exclusively to PR would give a poo poo.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Well Saban owns a Saturday morning block on CW, so I assume that's where they are going as soon as possible.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

SpazmasterX posted:

There's nothing wrong with Goseiger.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah, part of this mess is because Nick split up Samurai into two 20 episode seasons instead of the one 40 episode season that Saban had intended.

This is also why Saban bought that Saturday block to program their shows however they want.

They do like the added time between the Japanese versions and the American versions. This way they get to see the entire show before deciding what themes to push. That way you don't get things like In Space having shuttle Zords despite the Japanese version having nothing else to do with space. Or TimeRangers where they supposedly travel through time but they only do it once.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 19, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, no, that's pretty unlikely, especially because Goseiger was a good series. :colbert:

The reason for the split was more likely that Gokaiger didn't have enough usable content. A huge chunk of it is made up of nostalgic callbacks to shows or situations which didn't get an English release. By combining the two shows you get enough content to use the parts of Gokaiger you want to use but not the parts which are less workable.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

This is assuming that Nick keeps them to the schedule they're forced to have. Which is also something to remember, Saban is not purposely only making 20 episodes a year-that's a mandate from Nick.

If they changed channels you'd likely see a shift to the old style again.

However I'd still lay money down that we'd get another hybrid season, purely so that we aren't three years behind anymore.

I don't think so. Is Nick mandating them to stick to one series a year? If not, there's no reason they couldn't do GoBusters over two years and take full advantage of their budget over the two years. Especially because the source material would make it extremely easy thanks to the change from Messiah to Enter as the end boss.

They could even do a special parody episode ala Dino Thunder using the Bestial Battery GoBusters special. :v:

EDIT: Hey look at all those new posts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't think so. Is Nick mandating them to stick to one series a year? If not, there's no reason they couldn't do GoBusters over two years and take full advantage of their budget over the two years. Especially because the source material would make it extremely easy thanks to the change from Messiah to Enter as the end boss.

They could even do a special parody episode ala Dino Thunder using the Bestial Battery GoBusters special. :v:

EDIT: Hey look at all those new posts.

You mean like what they did with Samurai?

That got them even further behind, I'll note. It's kind of lose-lose for Saban. He is only allowed 20 episodes of Power Rangers a year, and he is, at present, three years behind, roughly.

Personally I'd be up for an extreme VR Troopers style multiSentai season just to burn through the backlog and get back on track. Otherwise the time gap will become more and more obvious as technology improves.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

At the very least, they need to be allowed to do more than 20 episodes a season. 26 at a minimum, so you could do two 13 episode arcs. I agree that there's enough there for a full season based on Go-Busters, but I don't want to wait an extra year to get Power Rangers Dino Samba Ole! :dance:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Just like people couldn't wait for the awesome American adaptation of Shinkenger, right?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Just like people couldn't wait for the awesome American adaptation of Shinkenger, right?
Imagine if the people behind RPM had done Samurai.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

I can never, ever be made at Shogun Mode.

That thing is a piece of art.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Burkion posted:

I can never, ever be made at Shogun Mode.

That thing is a piece of art.

Well Shogun Mode is a Battlizer, so it gets a pass.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I'm curious how much new suit footage they're shooting for Megaforce. Gokaiger was pretty heavy on gunplay and I don't know how well that's going to go over here. Same for Kyoryuger and the Gaburivolvers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just waiting to see how they're going to explain the black Megaforce ranger getting a green Pirate suit.

That does assume they use the pirate stuff as upgrades, rather than outright replacing the gosei suits.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

jivjov posted:

I'm just waiting to see how they're going to explain the black Megaforce ranger getting a green Pirate suit.

That does assume they use the pirate stuff as upgrades, rather than outright replacing the gosei suits.

From everything I've read it sure sounds like the latter. At this point Power Rangers is a fairly hilarious exercise in bad writing and worse acting, so I'm genuinely eager to see how hosed up it gets.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Scratch that, I'm most interested in watching the Gokaiger's mannerisms with the Megaforce teens' voices. Gokaiger was my first Sentai, and thus this will be the first time I see the adaptation after having seen the original. It's gonna be painful. Especially when we get Gokai Silver, because they cannot cast someone as cool as Gai. The only person that could come close would have been JDF because of his history with the team.

At least they can use Gokai Silver's Gold Mode in Super Megaforece, since the 6th Rangers on the armor start with Zyu's Green.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

At least they can use Gokai Silver's Gold Mode in Super Megaforece, since the 6th Rangers on the armor start with Zyu's Green.
You say that like its a good thing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So Movie War Ultimatum...I'm not completely wrong in thinking that it's not very good, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

So Movie War Ultimatum...I'm not completely wrong in thinking that it's not very good, right?

The Fourze part is fun as a sort of simple post-series epilogue but the rest... eh.

Haruto just murders the energy of a scene any time he shows up. He's like a sentai villain only real, sucking the life from all things around him. Presumable after someone blows him up all the excitement and energy will return to Wizard as a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

You say that like its a good thing.

I was a fan of the Gold Mode power up, especially the Wave of 6th Rangers attack.

• Locked thread