Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

Also, I swear one of the villain themes is just straight up the Imperial March for the first ten seconds.
It absolutely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You may not have gotten that far yet but Gaia Memories are really explicitly drug metaphor and there are several episodes which make it very very blatant. They're weapons too of course but the primary metaphor they use is seriously addictive drugs.

Up to ep. 20. You were right.

also terui is an rear end in a top hat and I hate him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That is the correct response at this juncture.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Another five episodes into Gobusters, up to 20 now. Jin and Beet have a pretty good dynamic, and they mesh really well with the primary colors. Something in particular I love is how there is absolutely no respect going on between... anyone. Practically everyone is an rear end in a top hat to each other and it's amazing.

The doppelganger/deepest desires episode was handled pretty cleverly, too. For one, it became a two-for-one along with providing exposition for hyperspace and getting the Busters to have a good look at Messiah. A four-for-one. I love how projected Jin just flashed a peace sign as he went out. Even as a projection of Ryuuji's deepest desires, that man gives no fucks.

Also, it might have been the way it was shot, but Enter looks really goofy when he's seething mad. He looks alot better when he has a microscopic layer of composure over his anger. HAVE I MENTIONED I LOVE ENTER?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Looks like Chroma Squad was able to hit the Rider stretch goal!
This is pretty exciting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I got to Wizard 17 and while the series is still pretty so so, Beast is pretty cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

mikeycp posted:

Looks like Chroma Squad was able to hit the Rider stretch goal!
This is pretty exciting.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I was really hoping they'd pull that off. I added a backing as well, since I have to play it now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

So I got to Wizard 17 and while the series is still pretty so so, Beast is pretty cool.

If I come away from Wizard remembering one good thing, it'll be how great Nitou was throughout.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2 Observations:

1. Kyoryu Violet is THE BEST EVER.

2. You guys have no idea how bad I wanna see Gaburincho of Music.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
W ep. 25

i want more episodes like it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Blackest Goon posted:

W ep. 25

i want more episodes like it

Which episode was that? Lemme just look it up here. I'll just load the video up and take a quick look anOH GEEZ THIS EPISODE. :argh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
That laugh. That loving laugh :cry:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
what the gently caress is up with the comments around this pic?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Should have sutck with Lorem Ipsum I guess :v:

VVV Skull's fedora is a legit fedora. I'd sooner blame Accel. Or Phillip giving in to his goonier side. VVV

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 20, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

I don't know anything about Kamen Rider but I'm going to go ahead and blame the guy in the last pic there...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fooley posted:

I don't know anything about Kamen Rider but I'm going to go ahead and blame the guy in the last pic there...
"Nobody's Perfect" indeed.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

4chan?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RBX posted:

4chan?

I'm thinking Ranger Board.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I am now right at the halfway point in Gobusters. Not too hot on Escape, especially with that stock laugh she busts out every five seconds, but I do like how she joins the fray more often than Enter. And I feel the absolute best kind of weird seeing the main cast be all proactive and try to wrench answers out of Jin.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I just realized that JokerJoker and Joker are actually different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I like Escape in concept, but some of the acting (specifically that laugh) is pretty bad. They do do some interesting things with her a bit later on though, so it works out.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Nobody's Perfect" indeed.

REALLY hoping that's not an official pic...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They left out Accel BOOSTAAAH. Unforgivable.

Cyclone too, if you want to be technical about it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

It does say at the bottom: 'Create by Akemi Modxtoy.com'.

Modxtoy is a Thai forum where a lot of Toku magazine scans get posted.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Halfway through Dairanger, and I'm wondering what all the hype's about.The dialogue is extremely stilted, and I'm wondering if that's just the translation. While it's not as bad as, say, Gekiranger, the fight choreography frequently feels so mediocre. There are dazzling highs, don't get me wrong. But it often feels like a chore, like whenever they fought the grunts in Shinkenger.
Maybe they'll something loving amazing with Kou's mom and Kujaku, but right now I'm not feeling it.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Oh, so it turns out Ultraman Ginga was just a 12-episode miniseries and we're already halfway through it. I guess it's better than it being 52 episodes long, 40 of which are spent just going through the motions.

And now it's going on a break for a few months, which I might as well spend watching Mebius for the full anniversary series experience.

P.S.: Ginga has awesome music, you guys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm kinda glad Ginga is just a mini-series; I don't have a huge commitment to a franchise I'm not familiar with, so I feel I'll enjoy 12 episodes a lot more than the "52 with 40 just going through the motions" as was said above.

This week's Kyoryuger was pretty great. I'm legitimately curious about what hand-Deboss is up to and what Aigoron's deal is. Also, Red's suit actor did a marvelous job of being a human tyrannosaurus. I wish the +1 battery had gotten a bit more attention, but that's what the next episode is for, I suppose.

I'm actually really sad that we're past the halfway mark for Kyoryuger at this point. After Gokaiger's toyetic anniversary-ness and Go-Busters' quasi-serious tone, it's refreshing to have a Sentai series that isn't taking itself seriously at all, and isn't filling every Zord fight with janky CGI.

Also, the more I see of Gaim, the more I'm sure I'm watching Kamen Rider next season.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Halfway through Dairanger, and I'm wondering what all the hype's about.The dialogue is extremely stilted, and I'm wondering if that's just the translation. While it's not as bad as, say, Gekiranger, the fight choreography frequently feels so mediocre. There are dazzling highs, don't get me wrong. But it often feels like a chore, like whenever they fought the grunts in Shinkenger.
Maybe they'll something loving amazing with Kou's mom and Kujaku, but right now I'm not feeling it.

The second half of Dairanger is by far the best half. You haven't even got a glimse of the internal Gorma shenanigans yet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Ever since I exploded, I've been feeling kind of weird occasionally."

Phenomenal.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
W ep. 38

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS GUEST STARS

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Went into the latest episode of Kyoryuger expecting wacky Carnival shenanigans.

Ended up with an Ian focus episode out of nowhere. This show just keeps finding new ways to make me smile.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
W ep. 39

This is the first displayed case of autism in a tokustatsu show.

im positive :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

"This is a work of fiction"?

Once again a great episode. Between this and the impending Kamen Rider Fruit Salad Dance Party I'm a happy fan.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 21, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

W ep. 39

This is the first displayed case of autism in a tokustatsu show.

im positive :v:
That arc is a piece of poo poo, and comes at the worst possible moment. 38 is loving phenomenal, but there's no way you can have an episode like that and then immediately go into whacky time bullshit. You can delay the explanation of Wakana's turn to save it for the end game, but you need a loving transitional arc so you're not going from 11 to 1 in a single episode.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
You get the sense that she's just going through the ropes. That she hasn't completely turned. Even WHEN she gets the power up

EDIT:

W ep. 41

Philip posted:

Even the intense heat of the Shaft wasn't enough.

That's was she said! :razz:

EDIT x2:

Wakana posted:

Raito... I can feel it when you're inside of here.

god drat. two for two

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 21, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Pinwiz11 posted:

"This is a work of fiction"?

I wondered if I were the only one to notice that. Is it new, or have I literally not seen it every time?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dairanger just kicked my rear end. 26 and 27 are Sentai GOLD. Shades of Jetman over here.

That being said, I can't help but think about how, despite how loving rad it is, it falls short of Shinkenger.
That show spoiled me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
W ep. 46

oh my god this is literally FF7's plot

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 21, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
W Challenge Mode: Stop watching at 48.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Since I'm almost done, I'll go ahead and ask:

Black, Kabuto, or OOO.

Which should I watch (or i should say watch completely :smug:) next?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 21, 2013

• Locked thread