Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

I'm starting to feel as though I'm missing out for only having watched The One Who Shines in Darkness.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Sweet. This is the best Kaixa Day present.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Apple Mummy posted:

I'm starting to feel as though I'm missing out for only having watched The One Who Shines in Darkness.

Not only have you missed out, you're also an awful person who watches a very mediocre and kind of lovely show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I hear it's getting better. I've decided to wait until the show's over to power through it, much like Wizard

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Unless 51 and the Decade stuff pull some crazy rear end poo poo out of their hat, Wizard is a complete pass. I've been watching every week and have defended the series in the past, but there has been zero build up to this finale and no real plot to speak of.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

I hear it's getting better. I've decided to wait until the show's over to power through it, much like Wizard

Everything I've heard, as I honestly dropped it after a while of it just being kind of boring and lovely, sounds like it tepidly steps towards being better before things get easy again. Though the latest development sounds promising.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Every Garo series so far seems to have a kind of lovely first half, lots of horror-of-the-week plots with wildly varying quality. You have to push through to when they decide to get the actual plot going, and then it's dynamite. I was pissed off about how much The Hero Who Shines in the Darkness was wasting its potential, but it seems well on track now.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Can someone explain Kaixa Day to me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eponymous posted:

Every Garo series so far seems to have a kind of lovely first half, lots of horror-of-the-week plots with wildly varying quality. You have to push through to when they decide to get the actual plot going, and then it's dynamite. I was pissed off about how much The Hero Who Shines in the Darkness was wasting its potential, but it seems well on track now.

Except it's STILL pretty goddamn poo poo when it comes to what made the first half of the original Garo so fantastic.

The suits, the monsters, and the in suit fights.

If I wanted to watch a bunch of humans fight each other, I'd watch kung fu movies or the like. If I wanted to watch CGI cartoons fight each other (For about thirty seconds) I'd watch Pixar or some such whatever. I want to watch Tokusatsu here, and to me, that means that a good balance has to be struck between the human fights and the suit fights. The suits have to be important, and the monsters must be interesting.

The first season of Garo really, REALLY struck a great loving balance between actual suit and CGI, AND human action VS suit action. Season 2 didn't strike as fine a balance, but they still had the majority be the actual suit and it got used a lot.

And this is ignoring the monsters where Season 3 just isn't even trying what so ever. One fun thing about the Horrors of season 1 and 2? They all looked very interesting and unique, all were pretty badass and elaborate. They ALL worked, even the ones that had to be purely CGI.

Season 3 gives us the same Goddamn thing over and over and over again, and then we get some genericish looking new things over a dozen episodes in. Oh and those loving goblins that have cheap Halloween mask heads, what the gently caress?

This is why I think season 3 is so freaking lame, and it really disappoints me because I really love Garo season 1 and enjoyed the poo poo out of season 2. I want to like you Season 3, but give me loving SOMETHING before we're literally two episodes away from the finale. Anything?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

Can someone explain Kaixa Day to me

It's 9/13.

913 is the code for the Kaixa driver to activate it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

HKR posted:

Unless 51 and the Decade stuff pull some crazy rear end poo poo out of their hat, Wizard is a complete pass. I've been watching every week and have defended the series in the past, but there has been zero build up to this finale and no real plot to speak of.

I've been thinking about it, and I'm willing to bet that 52 and 53 are going to cover the Foundation X stuff that's been missing through the whole show.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I've said as much in our poor quiet Garo thread I'm sure, but I've been greatly enjoying the past six or seven episodes. I am a bit bummed by the lack of some of the toys and the small amount of in suit fighting, but I personally think that the humans fighting has been pretty excellent, and the story has been passable enough that I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap up a few plot threads. Then again I watched the first season, the first movie, and the second season didn't hold my interest past 5? episodes, so my tastes might be a bit off. I might go back and try S2 again.

I do really hope that Garo continues to be a franchise too. I enjoy Rider and Sentai, but I think that Garo fills its own little niche. It'll never be as big as the other two, but a show/movie every few years would be nice. A six episode series where they don't have to pad it with filler sounds awesome, and Ray Fujita is great.

Also if there's a S4 it really needs a better theme song. The S3 one is passable, but it's no Savior in the Dark.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

HKR posted:

It really is the shittiest Kamen rider in a while. Would you compare it to the second half of hibiki?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The Blackest Goon posted:

It really is the shittiest Kamen rider in a while. Would you compare it to the second half of hibiki?

I haven't seen Hibiki yet. I'm really behind on my rider as I'm more of a sentai fan.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Potsticker posted:

It's 9/13.

913 is the code for the Kaixa driver to activate it.

Technically doesn't this year mean it's Kaixa Month?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Race Realists posted:

Hibiki at least had its opening half to build a few good points out of, Wizard has just been kind of 'eh' throughout. I thought the fights were ok before the Dragon/Infinity win buttons showed up, but the plot's been largely obvious and uninteresting for most of the series. I hope Gaim is better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of Wizard, I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to try anymore and just drop the series. Which means I'm in the market for another Kamen Rider series to watch! The only series that I've watched to completion is Fourze, and I'm almost at the end of W, and I plan to watch OOO after I'm done with that. I'm interested in Den-O, but I'm hesitant to use TVN subs when there's a new set of subs being worked on by Onore. I'm also kinda interested in Ryuki and Kiva, but like most pre-W Heisei, I've heard mixed things about them. Any suggestions?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
As always, I'm gonna recommend Agito. If you can get past the early-00s CG that looks like a PS2 game, it really is one of the best heisei shows. And not just because of G3.

...okay, it's mostly because of G3. gently caress it, I'm biased.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Waiting on resubs of TVN shows are a gamble, you might as well bite the bullet, it's not life ending. I'd recommend Kuuga, Kabuto, and Black.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Take a look ZO's way if you want an hour of nonstop Rider action.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Can I get some goon opinions on Goseiger? I watched the Shinkenger vs Goseiger movie to complete my Shinkenger viewing (Gedouu Takeru was amazing, btw) and I'm not sure if I want to start watching Goseiger or not. Megaforce kinda depresses me and I was thinking maybe watching the source material would make me like Megaforce better... That said, Alata (and a couple other of the Goseigers) seems really punchable. Is that just a consequence of the limited plot of the teamup movies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, what I'm gonna do is watch the first episode each of Den-O, Kiva, Agito, and Kabuto, and see which two I like best. I think I'll also watch ZO for the heck of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Can I get some goon opinions on Goseiger? I watched the Shinkenger vs Goseiger movie to complete my Shinkenger viewing (Gedouu Takeru was amazing, btw) and I'm not sure if I want to start watching Goseiger or not. Megaforce kinda depresses me and I was thinking maybe watching the source material would make me like Megaforce better... That said, Alata (and a couple other of the Goseigers) seems really punchable. Is that just a consequence of the limited plot of the teamup movies?

Goseiger is a good show but it's very much a hippy bullshit show. It's relentlessly positive and immensely optimistic almost to the point of excess. It also takes a bit to get going, with the plot transferring between several groups of villains with their own gimmicks as the plot progresses. It is, however, at its core an incredibly optimistic show, far more than the series around it, and that may hurt it if you can't get behind a show where the context is just pure unbridled positivity.

There's a new set of translations coming out which help the show a lot. The original (TVN) translation sucks, misses a lot of the subtext, and distorts fairly important foreshadowing. Use the new translations if you watch it. For what it is, it's actually a fairly subtle show at times, and depends a fair bit on quietly building up certain plots. It is a much stronger show on a second watch than a first watch for example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 15, 2013

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Dammit. I thought Tsuburaya's DVDs were supposed to be awesome. But the Fireman DVDs were sourced from blendy tape masters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

There's a new set of translations coming out which help the show a lot. The original (TVN) translation sucks, misses a lot of the subtext, and distorts fairly important foreshadowing. Use the new translations if you watch it.

Who's doing the new translation? I might follow the release.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
MillionFold Curiosity, which is the same team behind the GUIS Zyuranger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Who's doing the new translation? I might follow the release.

Millionfold Curiosity, the same people dong Zubat/Megaranger

http://millionfoldcuriosity.wordpress.com/category/releases/goseiger/

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

The robots/weapons stink and I don't think anyone will deny that but hey, I hear a lot of people just skip over those parts of these shows entirely. Other than that the show suffered a real dearth of quality, in my opinion, from around episode 6/7 to around episode 18. I've heard other people say they thought that that middle run of the show was intolerable, etc. I'll just say this-- I thought that, having watched only the TVN dub, the show would quickly introduce things and then drop them after the episode was done in a way that, for example, Shinkenger or Gokaiger wouldn't do. It improved on this towards the end but its sort of disappointing looking back on little character points that could have been brought up again but weren't. I guess thats my big gripe, all the wasted potential. As to whether you should watch it, if you have the time and just want to watch anything or are trying to complete a run of series sure go ahead but if you are looking for one specific thing there's probably at least one translated show that does it better. Boukenger, apparently, had better villains, Gobusters had a better "villain is on the verge or winning" style ending, Jetman had better characters, Gokaiger had better one episode side plots, Shinkenger had better fights, etc. About the only thing I can say is that it had better crossdressing than Go-onger, and even then that was in a series of extras that MFC probably won't be translating.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 15, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nobody told me Dairanger villains and monsters are so swaggy. I haven't seen one I dislike yet. They talk so much poo poo. You really want to punch the triumvirate everytime they show up. The copy episode is a standout. Every un-morphed fight is a treat, even more so when I found out they're in the costumes alot of the time. Reallly love every battle pretty much. The choreography is so tight. Even the silly episodes are amusing. Master is pretty badass without over doing it. He really talks with his eyes sometimes. Everyone already knows how good the Dairangers are together. I love how they've handled the Kou without over doing so far and how he's not always there (Because he's a drat kid) to save their asses every week like most 6th rangers. The whole group really act friends though, its good see such comradery. Everybody has their time to shine and Red doesn't overpower the show which I loved about Zyuranger too.

Really excited to watch Maskman, Jetman, and Liveman next. I did watch the first few Gekiranger eps and though I can tell its red centric it looks fine enough.

RBX fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 15, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is random and apropos of nothing, but if I ever get a fancy car with a built in satnav computer setup, I will do everything in my power to make it say "Let's Driving!" every time I turn on the ignition.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Started watching Zubat...I love the aesthetic...but something is really bothering me. Asuka was a mountain man with a guitar as his one possession....but he also had a secret lab where he was working on a power suit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Started watching Zubat...I love the aesthetic...but something is really bothering me. Asuka was a mountain man with a guitar as his one possession....but he also had a secret lab where he was working on a power suit?

Asuka Goro was the manliest man who ever manned in all ways.

(Seriously, do not get overly caught up on logic when it comes to Zubat.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 15, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I just watched the first episode of Den-O, and it seems interesting so far. Like I said, I've got a few series to try before I settle on a couple to watch, so I'm gonna watch Kiva later today.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBX posted:

Nobody told me Dairanger villains and monsters are so swaggy. I haven't seen one I dislike yet. They talk so much poo poo. You really want to punch the triumvirate everytime they show up. The copy episode is a standout. Every un-morphed fight is a treat, even more so when I found out they're in the costumes alot of the time. Reallly love every battle pretty much. The choreography is so tight. Even the silly episodes are amusing. Master is pretty badass without over doing it. He really talks with his eyes sometimes. Everyone already knows how good the Dairangers are together. I love how they've handled the Kou without over doing so far and how he's not always there (Because he's a drat kid) to save their asses every week like most 6th rangers. The whole group really act friends though, its good see such comradery. Everybody has their time to shine and Red doesn't overpower the show which I loved about Zyuranger too.

40 episodes in and while I'm still not all that invested in the main plot of Dairanger the fight scenes alone make the show worth watching.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

He was also a scientist trying to create a super suit that could go and survive in space.

Because gently caress a normal life or career, he's a goddamn mountain man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

He was also a scientist trying to create a super suit that could go and survive in space.

Because gently caress a normal life or career, he's a goddamn mountain man.

Duly noted. He truly was the manliest man's man ever.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The ending of Dairanger is like a weird fever dream that i'm going to act like never happened. Loved the interwoven plots.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I finished watching Decade, and while I enjoyed it from the beginning, it started getting pretty stupid towards the end. It felt like they tried to do this epic story, and they were doing a good job on it until they tried to tie in all together. The understand some of the decisions that they make, including the ending, but it was pretty meh. My hatred of Gackt might have influenced my decision. Maybe.

30 episodes in, I love Gokaiger. Full stop. I feel that is all that needs to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dante Logos posted:

I finished watching Decade, and while I enjoyed it from the beginning, it started getting pretty stupid towards the end. It felt like they tried to do this epic story, and they were doing a good job on it until they tried to tie in all together. The understand some of the decisions that they make, including the ending, but it was pretty meh. My hatred of Gackt might have influenced my decision. Maybe.

30 episodes in, I love Gokaiger. Full stop. I feel that is all that needs to be said.

When it comes to watching Decade I find that the best way to watch it is after the last episode and it's cliffhanger of an ending, you then watch this;
KRDCD - Episode 32 - The Tenth Story/25 Stories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JouYisYJTg
Which is a condensed version of Movie Wars 2010 which segues nicely into All Riders vs Dai-Shocker

• Locked thread