Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm gonna miss Candelira and Luckiero so much. :( They've been my favorite bad guys since Episode 1, especially Luckiero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
There is at least some precedence in the series for Deboss legion members turning to the side of good, so I certainly wouldn't put it past them for Luckiero and Candelira to make the good-guy turn at the end of the series.

I could also see the spirit rangers having to pass on their powers after making some sort of heroic sacrifice, but that's stretching plausibility a bit.

Either way that was a super episode. Train rangers is going to have a lot to live up to at this rate. Is there an import place someone could recommend for the music?

EDIT: Also, what's the Dekaranger reference? I never watched it.

Darksaber fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 10, 2013

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Darksaber posted:

EDIT: Also, what's the Dekaranger reference? I never watched it.

The "It's an Emergency!" line, the pose she takes when she says it, and the siren playing in the background (the same from Dekaranger). It wasn't on the captions, so she could've adlibbed the line.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Thanks Ignis. I had to go back and watch that part again to catch the sirens in the background.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

For someone's first Sentai series, is starting with Kyoryuger a bad idea?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nope! Kyoryuger is pretty great!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

Kyoryuger is my first sentai series and I am enjoying it immensely. I started watching it when it was about ~26 episodes in and couldn't binge through what was out fast enough.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

Kyoryuger is a fantastic starter Sentai. It's definitely a better starting series than Gokaiger or Go-Busters (both of which are amazing for the same reasons that they aren't good starter Sentais.)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Kyoryuger is a great first choice. Then branch out to some older series. You should watch Jetman, Zyuranger and Maskman at some point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bioman is not a typical Sentai what so ever, but you should still watch it.

It opens with innocent people being bloody gunned down in the streets. gently caress yes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ignis posted:

The "It's an Emergency!" line, the pose she takes when she says it, and the siren playing in the background (the same from Dekaranger). It wasn't on the captions, so she could've adlibbed the line.
I'd always thought she looked familiar but I had no reason to believe it was her until the Dekaranger tease :negative:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

To add to good sentai list, Kakuranger. I mean who doesn't love a team of ghost hunting ninjas that travel in a living cat-shaped taco truck?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flameingblack posted:

I'd always thought she looked familiar but I had no reason to believe it was her until the Dekaranger tease :negative:

Between her and the Gokaiger tribute episode, I am now convinced I need to watch Dekaranger soon.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jivjov posted:

Between her and the Gokaiger tribute episode, I am now convinced I need to watch Dekaranger soon.
Dekaranger was a lot of fun, but there are parts of it that get super repetitive. The cast is still a hell of a lot of fun.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Flameingblack posted:

I'm in the process of watching Dekaranger alongside Kyoryuger and I didn't see it. :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dekaranger was the first sentai I watched that wasn't Power Rangers and that's what got me into watching Sentai and Rider. So I too will add in my vote for it being a great series to start with. Or just to watch in general.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Since series recommendations are still a topic of discussion, what about Showa Rider series? I'm planning on watching Kamen Rider, V3, Black, and RX, but are there any other must sees? Are there any I should avoid?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
You should avoid RX really. There's only one Showa series that you didn't name that's even in English (sort of, it's Amazon) though, so that's kind of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll add my two cents and say that Dekaranger was my first Sentai too, and I loved the hell out of it, so I can definitely say it's a great starting Sentai.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finally watched the first episode of Kyoryuger today and it is just plain incredibly fun. Super Sentai wasn't really my bag (More of a Rider person up till now), but I think I am on board with this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bandai's put up a bunch of 15th anniversary Heisei Rider stuff on their shop, like

These ties! (4725 yen)

Shirts! (3150 yen)

Wallets! (Various sizes and prices, linked is small for 15750 yen)

Belts! (Linked is Kuuga, all belts 3675 yen except Gaim, which is 3500)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Goddamn, I would kill for one of those shirts. And... well everything but the belt buckles I guess. (Which I would still like but would probably not wear. Maybe.)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
150 bucks for a wallet? How much do people in Japan get paid?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I am in love with Kyoryuger after seeing the second episode. So ridiculous and hot blooded in all the right ways :3:.

(gently caress it, I am making this comparison) It reminds me of Gaogaigar in that way.

I love that they do a dance before their transformation and they do not question it at all

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:aaaaa: THE SISTER IS DEKAYELLOW???

I noticed the Dekaranger sirens, but I never made the connection. :allears:

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Bandai's put up a bunch of 15th anniversary Heisei Rider stuff on their shop, like

Belts! (Linked is Kuuga, all belts 3675 yen except Gaim, which is 3500)

Oh... oh god, this is amazing. It's just so... right.

The Kuuga one is probably the least loud of the lot, so you might get away with wearing that in "respectable" company.

But, drat, if the Decade buckle isn't incredibly tempting...

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, I am in love with Kyoryuger after seeing the second episode. So ridiculous and hot blooded in all the right ways :3:.

(gently caress it, I am making this comparison) It reminds me of Gaogaigar in that way.

I love that they do a dance before their transformation and they do not question it at all

Kyoryuger does literally nothing but get better just about every single episode. It feels like the climax has happened like three or four times now and it's not even over yet.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Can you even buy this stuff if you live in the states?

EDIT: Not that any of it would fit me as I am not the slender japanese teenager I used to be. :v:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh god I would kill for those wallets (I don't wear ties and as said those shirts will probably fit no on). Why are they the most expensive item, I don't get it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So did the Kyoryuger movie feel way too breakneck to anyone else? We kept moving from plot point to plot point with only the chomping screen transition between them, and everything just felt really rushed. Even the "lets show off all the toys for the kids to beg their parents to buy for them" stuff felt like it was done way too fast.

It feels like they wrote a story for a 60-70 minute special and instead did it in 30.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

jivjov posted:

It feels like they wrote a story for a 60-70 minute special and instead did it in 30.
So a normal Sentai movie then?

I recently got my nieces (ages 5 and 7) to watch Kyoryuger and they're loving how insanely fun it is.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

These ties! (4725 yen)

Wallets! (Various sizes and prices, linked is small for 15750 yen)

I might have to start looking into middlemen for these. That wallet is fantastic, and I'm gonna need a tie for work.

How much does a good middleman service run, anyway?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Ok, the last Kyoruger episode was hilarious with all the costume changes. I just loved the cop stereotype versions of everyone. What was Daigo eating during that scene, it looked like a bagel and a milk box? What is that a reference too? I was thinking the detective in Lupin, but maybe that's something else.

And the school punk versions of everyone were great, except Souji who was exactly the same. Such a great joke on how he is already in a student uniform and stereotypically the straight laced good student. Just like when Shinkenger did the that movie where they changed costumes all the time, I would watch a full episode with them all like that. Is that a sentai tradition to have an episode like that for every team? I've only watched this one and Shinkenger. Started Gobusters but could not get into it, and I did not like Goseiger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Perigryn posted:

So a normal Sentai movie then?

I don't recall any of the others feeling quite that rushed. Maybe I'm misremembering though...

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I like to believe that Ramirez's ghost lives with Nossan and family now -- how else would he get kitchen privileges! Now they just have to answer my questions about where Gold and Red live! King doesn't even have his tent anymore, so they could both be living on the street!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

jivjov posted:

I don't recall any of the others feeling quite that rushed. Maybe I'm misremembering though...
I haven't seen this one yet but I do remember Gekiranger's being pretty drat rushed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

Ok, the last Kyoruger episode was hilarious with all the costume changes. I just loved the cop stereotype versions of everyone. What was Daigo eating during that scene, it looked like a bagel and a milk box? What is that a reference too? I was thinking the detective in Lupin, but maybe that's something else.

And the school punk versions of everyone were great, except Souji who was exactly the same. Such a great joke on how he is already in a student uniform and stereotypically the straight laced good student. Just like when Shinkenger did the that movie where they changed costumes all the time, I would watch a full episode with them all like that. Is that a sentai tradition to have an episode like that for every team? I've only watched this one and Shinkenger. Started Gobusters but could not get into it, and I did not like Goseiger.

Daigo had a milk box and some kind of bread. Maybe curry bread or something. It's probably a reference, but NOT to Zenigata.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

toomanyninjas posted:

I like to believe that Ramirez's ghost lives with Nossan and family now -- how else would he get kitchen privileges! Now they just have to answer my questions about where Gold and Red live! King doesn't even have his tent anymore, so they could both be living on the street!

They probably just live at the spirit base. Seems like that's where everyone hangs out for the vast majority of their free time anyway.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AgentHaiTo posted:

You see a cop holding a round bread thing and think "bagel" and not "donut"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You see a cop holding a round bread thing and think "bagel" and not "donut"?

It just looked more doughy to me, and I wasn't sure if Japanese cops have the the whole fat cop with donut thing like we do.

How great was Utchy with the shotgun and trenchcoat though? And Amy was that typical office lady Japanese cop.

• Locked thread