Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
double edit: what if they used drone cameras?

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

They probably just live at the spirit base. Seems like that's where everyone hangs out for the vast majority of their free time anyway.

It's a shame they never used that house set that appeared in the ED

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

So did the Kyoryuger movie feel way too breakneck to anyone else? We kept moving from plot point to plot point with only the chomping screen transition between them, and everything just felt really rushed. Even the "lets show off all the toys for the kids to beg their parents to buy for them" stuff felt like it was done way too fast.

It feels like they wrote a story for a 60-70 minute special and instead did it in 30.

Yes. The movie listing on CDJapan referred to this as the theatrical version, which has me fearing that they've started the bullshit fake "Director's Cut" racket with the tiny Sentai half of the double feature now. I mean, they actually did it last year, but the extended version was available on the same day, they didn't even bait double dippers. The gross editing here suggests they might be.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Gaburincho of Music was pretty terrible, but I wonder if I would have liked it more had I not seen the episode-before-last first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man, and I was so hyped for a Sentai musical and had it downloaded and everything. So should I just wait to see if a Director's Cut comes out?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
When they promoted is as a musical, I was thinking it would be like "Mary Poppins" or "West Side Story" with a broad score of story-driving songs with brief interludes of standard conversation. Instead it was one original song sung several times and not a lot of actual talking because the action was too-much, too-fast to accommodate it.

So, no, it's not a musical.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel I'd like a lot of the Sentai "movies" more if they were about twice the length they normally are. Why won't they make an actual movie instead of an episode of the show with slightly higher production values.

45-minutes to 1-hour with no commercials could be used to make a really cool story, introduce and develop a new character (villain, hero, or supporting cast member), make jokes, and have it all build up to a really cool fight at the end. Instead the Sentai "movies" always feel kinda rushed about everything.

I know it's shown as a double feature with the Rider movie so they can't make it too long, but I don't really think 45-minutes would be bad.

:words: about Sentai "movies"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

toomanyninjas posted:

When they promoted is as a musical, I was thinking it would be like "Mary Poppins" or "West Side Story" with a broad score of story-driving songs with brief interludes of standard conversation. Instead it was one original song sung several times and not a lot of actual talking because the action was too-much, too-fast to accommodate it.

So, no, it's not a musical.

Well, gently caress that poo poo then.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I thought it was about average, but for a 'musical' it was missing the songs I like the most from the show - the Candelira song and the secondary fight theme they use sometimes. I wish they had that sort of budget to mess around with on all the mecha scenes though, even though the suit-fighting does have its charm.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Darksaber posted:

I thought it was about average, but for a 'musical' it was missing the songs I like the most from the show - the Candelira song and the secondary fight theme they use sometimes. I wish they had that sort of budget to mess around with on all the mecha scenes though, even though the suit-fighting does have its charm.
Really? I hate how the Voltasaurs look in CGI. Except when they're dancing.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, gently caress that poo poo then.

I think a lot of the problem, too, is that we're on a run of really excellent episodes and, plotwise, this movie feels like a crappy filler ep.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

"Pteragordon! You must shut your goggles!"

"That should keep him from hearing the song!"

I'm sorry, but what? How that even work?!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

"Pteragordon! You must shut your goggles!"

"That should keep him from hearing the song!"

I'm sorry, but what? How that even work?!
They just wanted to reference Flashman is that so wrong?!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Did the Flashman hear through their eyes or something?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
No, but the end of their transformation involved them all saying Shut Goggle as the visor slides in place over their mask. It seemed too deliberate to completely remove the reference from the subs.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Really? I hate how the Voltasaurs look in CGI. Except when they're dancing.

Normally I generally hate how the voltasaurs look in motion totally, but the cg fight at the end I thought was better than normal.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
Sad the Kyoryuger movie didn't live up to the "musical" expectations I had, but I kept my overall expectations low.

Going back to the sentai recommendations on the last page, I would say Shinkenger really struck a note with me and would be a good follow up. I mostly liked it for the characters and their arcs. It actually reminds me a lot of Kyoryuger but a *little* less silly and there is more of a journey with the leader opening up to the team. Also has one of the best plot twist in a sentai that I can remember. The final four or so episodes are an epic ride, better than most other series' in my opinion. Suit action is pretty good but the mecha were forgettable. The bad guys were decent, sometimes they had fairly intense back stories and scenes, but I was mostly there for the main five.

If you want a pure gag series, like Kakuranger, Carranger will always hold a special place in my heart. I adore that series, mostly for the bad guys and the silly plots. The main cast is so-so, especially Blue who always looks like a deer in headlights but to be fair I understand that he was very young and inexperienced. Like I said the villains are the highlight of the show and not just because of the the scantly clad JAV actress. The side heroes are a highlight as well with Signal Man's schtick and VRV Master being a toku bad rear end.

As I type all that out I just realized I'm not sure if you can get the whole series online, I've only seen a few episodes here and there on youtube and for download. My viewing experience of Carranger was raw third generation VHS tapes I got from a man I would meet behind a comic book shop in the late 90's.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kuso Meriken posted:

As I type all that out I just realized I'm not sure if you can get the whole series online, I've only seen a few episodes here and there on youtube and for download. My viewing experience of Carranger was raw third generation VHS tapes I got from a man I would meet behind a comic book shop in the late 90's.

FortMax has DVD raws up on the Bunny Hat blog.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Haroranger also has 20ish episodes subbed.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

everythingWasBees posted:

Since series recommendations are still a topic of discussion, what about Showa Rider series? I'm planning on watching Kamen Rider, V3, Black, and RX, but are there any other must sees? Are there any I should avoid?

Am I late to this party? In my opinion you should add Amazon and Stronger to the 'to watch' list, because they are full of awesome moments and great 70's wtf moments. RX was OK, I'd watch that last, but make sure to watch Amazon.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Hey, do you guys know the name of the Kyoryuger insert song that played when King fought those dudes shirtless, and more recently when the guys were fighting D's mooks unmorphed? I really wanna find that song in full.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
If I'm remembering right, that's Ale Ale! Kyoryuger

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Holy crap Kyoryu 40 is absolutely amazing. King as Gentarou Kisaragi, the police-rangers AND the gang fight and the kaiju allusion, the fact that it was Nossan's show 100%, and the romance and it even had more than enough Ramires.
I should never have doubted you, Kyoryuger.

All I could ask for now is some more Luckiero development.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 13, 2013

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011

Raizor posted:

If I'm remembering right, that's Ale Ale! Kyoryuger

That's it! Thanks dude, I adore this song :allears:.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Taisen 3
http://www.superhero-movie.com/

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Aw, now they're not even pretending the year's Sentai gets to play a role anymore? That's a shame. I wonder what the deal with this one will be, since it seems the Sheriffs won't be a big part this time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Weren't they teasing Kikaider in the last movie at the end?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aw, now they're not even pretending the year's Sentai gets to play a role anymore? That's a shame. I wonder what the deal with this one will be, since it seems the Sheriffs won't be a big part this time.

I think it's Kamen Rider Wars feat. Super Sentai with a showa vs. heisei focus

e: vvv Yes vvv

Raizor fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 14, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is that a different movie than the Rider War movie with Gaim?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raizor posted:

Showa vs Heisei has some potential; I like it!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Raizor posted:

Ohh okay. I really should have payed more attention to the image, huh? That actually does sound really interesting. Here's hoping they do something good with it. Maybe there's some kind of Showa resurgence movemen going on and that's why Tokkyuuger is so old school in appearance.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there some place that sells these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3w0m-iBg8

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Showa vs Heisei has some potential; I like it!

Yeah it does!

Seems like it's been done though, can't quite place where...

Oh right.

The first Decade movie. Where almost all of the early fights were literally Heisei VS Showa. And then there's Let's Go Kamen Rider. Which was again, Showa and Heisei Riders fighting.

Well, OK, it was a weird thing that the Heisei Riders were incompetent baboons and the Showa Riders were God-Like entities of unstoppable justice until the plot said otherwise, but whatevs. (And then the plot just kind of poo poo itself)

Goddamnit, Toei, DO SOMETHING INTERESTING FOR ONCE!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

When was the previous meeting between Nossan and Candliera in her human form prior to their date this last week? I can't recall, I would have thought it was from the movie but apparently not.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Brave 11, which had this

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there some place that sells these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3w0m-iBg8

Those are the Bikkura Tamago bath salt packs. I know AmiAmi sells the cases for around 3500 yen for a box of 15 assorted ones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

OZC posted:

Those are the Bikkura Tamago bath salt packs. I know AmiAmi sells the cases for around 3500 yen for a box of 15 assorted ones.

Thanks, but it looks like they're completely sold out across the board. I was hoping to find some cute ones and see if they'd arrive in time for christmas as a cool stocking stuffer for my sisters. :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Raizor posted:

e: vvv Yes vvv
I really need to see Stronger vs Kabuto in an extended fight. :allears:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Flameingblack posted:

I really need to see Stronger vs Kabuto in an extended fight. :allears:
And Fourze vs Super-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Double Riders vs Kuuga And Agito or bust :colbert:

EDIT:

Looks like that NDA sub guy is Doing Blade now (and is no longer doing Gaim. Eat it Ornac haters). Just released Blade 01. And allegedly The Blade scripts have been rewritten by Tom from GUIS, so they might be better than NDA's bland attempt at Gaim.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread