Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

timeline, but i'm the guy who can take three days off of work to travel by plane across half the world in order to camp out in the offices of a firm called magic the gathering online exchange, demanding my monopoly money back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

welp, i keep doing this

odds that he's blocked me?
what does he even think he's saying

the only thing that the protocol does is keep coins from being duplicated (as inefficiently as fukken possible too), how is it even tangentially relevant to this

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

transfatphobic posted:

this is a really stupid man youre arguing with

i know, but he's really popular with bitcoiners

it's like arguing with the pope, you know it's not going to do any good but how can you pass up the opportunity?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

welp, i keep doing this

odds that he's blocked me?

AA has the biggest punchable douchebag personality I've ever seen.

Pretty soon he'll start throwing up that argument triangle picture and screaming "ad hominem".

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
you started using words he didnt understand like https so he started just repeating the word "strawman" over and over

he has to be a gbs poster

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Werthog 95 posted:

so has anybody figured out where bitpay gets their cash from yet?

i always suspected they have a back door deal with one of the exchanges

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

I was going to mention this. That guy is like the Bitcoin Jesus to redditors.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

it's like arguing with the pope, you know it's not going to do any good but how can you pass up the opportunity?

you're my hero

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https is just the plural of http how loving stupid do you have to be to not know that?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
some guy just asked "Did I miss something? Where was it stated that #bitcoin was designed to prevent fraud or financial misbehavior?"

i linked him to two of andreas's tweets and he deleted the question

these people, really

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
here's a silly question, in a sustained 51% attack can the controlling party effectively revert past transactions as long as all succeeding transactions are recalculated/rehashed/whatever? Sounds implausible but would it be impossible?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

ayn rand hand job posted:

I arrived at MtGox early, approximately 8am, and stood outside with a sign reading “MtGox, where has my money gone”. I got some curious looks, and a lot of questions from passersby about my protest.

Then at approximately 9.20 am, Mark Karpeles himself came along carrying a large, and very fancy coffee in his hand that could have passed as a dessert. I immediately confronted him and told him we needed a chat. So he stopped to hear me out.

i'm the japanese passers-by trying to figure out what the gently caress the weird foreigner wants

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

some guy just asked "Did I miss something? Where was it stated that #bitcoin was designed to prevent fraud or financial misbehavior?"

these people, really

im pretty sure bitcoins protocol does an excellent job of preventing COUNTERFEITING, but that has absolutely nothing to do with other types of fraud???

like, that's an advantage bitcoin has over cash - it is harder to counterfeit BTC than USD. that doesnt mean i cant tell lies because i have bitcoins

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

these people, really

you're doing gods work

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i seem to have shut up @aantonop through sheer force of words or something

also some guy on g+ linked to mine last night suggesting that my "bitcoin doesn't scale" argument was wrong because of that 10MW mining center in sweden somebody's building

i hope that it actually gets built because then everybody else's expensive asics will be even less efficient

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

also some guy on g+ linked to mine last night suggesting that my "bitcoin doesn't scale" argument was wrong because of that 10MW mining center in sweden somebody's building

i hope that it actually gets built because then everybody else's expensive asics will be even less efficient

no you see the more computing power is thrown at bitcoin the faster transac...oh. I mean, more transactions can be cleared per bl...poo poo.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Cryptoforcoins.com is a scam (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by Caad10

I decided to try out cryptoforcoins.com aka crytpoforcards.com, which is a trade your starbucks gift card in exchange for bitcoin site, and they stole my $12 starbucks balance.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Robawesome posted:

Cryptoforcoins.com is a scam (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by Caad10

I decided to try out cryptoforcoins.com aka crytpoforcards.com, which is a trade your starbucks gift card in exchange for bitcoin site, and they stole my $12 starbucks balance.

lmfao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

$12 in starbucks is what a small caramel macchiato with a lemon pound cake

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

i always suspected they have a back door deal with one of the organized criminal organizations

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Heresiarch posted:

he's a dipshit who gets by on what bitcoiners consider to be personality. he was on joe rogan's podcast the other day and it took twitter a week to shut the gently caress up about it. he looks like :froggonk: in every photo i've seen

anyway they have literally started calling him bitcoin jesus and abandoned roger ver. he won't acknowledge me or any questions i've ever asked him

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
the first publicly traded Bitcoin company: Bitcoin shop

it's over the counter

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Is rule lawyering your way to "invalidating" someone else's argument through tenuous logical fallacies really a good way to make a point?

I feel like the internet has transformed logical fallacies from something that's a bad practice which forms weak arguments into a "I don't have to prove my point anymore" card.

Remember, this is the guy /r/Bitcoin wants to represent Bitcoin on TV and possibly even run the foundation.

Edit: someone dig up that reddit endorsement that said this guy was special because he is an extrovert and used tumblr psychology to explain that Bitcoin has almost no extroverts because they're good at technology, but that made them weak to extroverts who hold panels or give interviews.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

theflyingorc posted:

im pretty sure bitcoins protocol does an excellent job of preventing COUNTERFEITING, but that has absolutely nothing to do with other types of fraud???

like, that's an advantage bitcoin has over cash - it is harder to counterfeit BTC than USD. that doesnt mean i cant tell lies because i have bitcoins

you're wrong actually. pirateat40, patrick starfish, bitcointalk's donation drives - none of these things would be possible with bitcoin

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
had to look up that starfish dude and it's patrick harnett, and here's a funny thing i forgot about http://ripper234.com/p/why-i-trust-patrick-harnett/

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

killhamster posted:

he's a dipshit who gets by on what bitcoiners consider to be personality. he was on joe rogan's podcast the other day and it took twitter a week to shut the gently caress up about it. he looks like :froggonk: in every photo i've seen

anyway they have literally started calling him bitcoin jesus and abandoned roger ver. he won't acknowledge me or any questions i've ever asked him

i wondered how bitcoin could possibly become more insufferable and there it goes showing me by getting joe rogan onboard.

well done bitcoin.

TVarmy posted:

Is rule lawyering your way to "invalidating" someone else's argument through tenuous logical fallacies really a good way to make a point?

I feel like the internet has transformed logical fallacies from something that's a bad practice which forms weak arguments into a "I don't have to prove my point anymore" card.

Remember, this is the guy /r/Bitcoin wants to represent Bitcoin on TV and possibly even run the foundation.

Edit: someone dig up that reddit endorsement that said this guy was special because he is an extrovert and used tumblr psychology to explain that Bitcoin has almost no extroverts because they're good at technology, but that made them weak to extroverts who hold panels or give interviews.

there have always been assholes that wouldn't accept losing an argument and would grasp at excuses why the other side isn't being fair when they are not winning but the internet just gives them an endless opportunity to not shut up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dex posted:

you're wrong actually. pirateat40, patrick starfish, bitcointalk's donation drives - none of these things would be possible with bitcoin
i dont' understand what you are trying to say at all

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

theflyingorc posted:

i dont' understand what you are trying to say at all

cool

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TVarmy posted:

strawmen is probably the most poorly used one, and whaddasurprise this guy used it and incorrectly

a strawman is when you defeat unrelated arguments to look like you've defeated the main argument, it isn't "here is a situation that appears to be parallel to this one, could you demonstrate how that situation is fundamentally different from the one we're talking about" which is what heresiarch was doing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so apparently it's illegal to sell coins for cash on localbitcoins.com :lol:

"it's easy" - MLR

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/florida-targets-high-dollar-bitcoin-exchangers/

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i was trying to be clever because twitter has those length limitations, and of course trying to be clever when arguing with an idiot is a huge mistake because they can't even tell what you're talking about

that's why i just said "gently caress it" and made like 20 tweets explaining in detail what i was trying to say so he would shut up about "strawman arguments"

what does it look like when somebody blocks you on twitter, anyway? i've done it to a couple of people but never seen what it looks like from their end. if he did, is there a way for me to tell?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"it's easy" - MLR

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/florida-targets-high-dollar-bitcoin-exchangers/

today is the day that keeps on giving :toot: :woop:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

i was trying to be clever because twitter has those length limitations, and of course trying to be clever when arguing with an idiot is a huge mistake because they can't even tell what you're talking about

that's why i just said "gently caress it" and made like 20 tweets explaining in detail what i was trying to say so he would shut up about "strawman arguments"

what does it look like when somebody blocks you on twitter, anyway? i've done it to a couple of people but never seen what it looks like from their end. if he did, is there a way for me to tell?
i can block you on twitter if you'd like

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"it's easy" - MLR

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Lmbo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

i can block you on twitter if you'd like

i did so. if you can see that "akbarbitcoins" blocked you, then that's what twitter does

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
bitcoin twitter is a fun one

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"it's easy" - MLR

lollin at the first comment

quote:

XWzGjtin0
February 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Hello,

We are interested in selling bitcoin to American citizens, we’d like to know what it would cost to operate this totally legally?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Sell your AAPL shares and reinvest in bitcoin or something else. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 17 minutes ago by tharlam

and if you own a shop that sells Apple products, boycott them.

[–]millsdmb 3 points 8 minutes ago

you should sell your apple shares anyways, cuz its a pos junker.

[–]tomuchfun 1 point 2 minutes ago

Never buy an apple product again! And If ypu own one(that is under warranty) jam the connectors inside the headphone jack with a needle and bring it back and get a new device under your warranty(i've done it atleast 10 times and never had a problem with them not believing me) gently caress them make them waste their money!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The undercover agent and Michelhack allegedly arranged a face-to-face meeting and exchanged a single Bitcoin for $1,000, a price that investigators say included an almost 17 percent conversion fee. According to court documents, the agent told Michelhack that he wanted to use the Bitcoins to purchase stolen credit cards online.

fukken lol

• Locked thread