Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm getting good at that.
Thank you very much!

Thoughts:
-Conductor is like a calmer version of Cakeboss which makes it a little more unsettling.
-The "crows" are really great goon designs.
-I wonder if the mystery behind the kids will be central to the plot or if it will be revealed right away?
-#5 seems like she's going to be the most dangerous...
-The Line Switching is an unique gimick but I'm curious how it will come into play to actually help them out.
-The bazooka attack is reminiscent of old sentai. All the imagination stuff has the potential to be really neat and open up the show for awesome and WTF moments. I hope the writers come up with some creative stuff.

I was a bit worried about not liking the main cast but they seem like they'll be fun. Right wasn't nearly as annoying as I feared he was going to be. Though I can't get over his lips, what is going on there?

The show is so colorful and full of trains I think my toddler is really going to enjoy it (I hope!).

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I really like Green's 'Gimmick'. Dude's just really quiet (I don't think he even had a line this episode?) and unflappable. Didn't even wince when Red/1 got tossed in the first fight.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
ToQger is fun. The enemies look great and I want to see where it goes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Lessail posted:

ToQger is fun. The enemies look great and I want to see where it goes.

I hope it doesnt run out of steam.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hopefully it won't get derailed midseason.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kuso Meriken posted:

I was a bit worried about not liking the main cast but they seem like they'll be fun. Right wasn't nearly as annoying as I feared he was going to be. Though I can't get over his lips, what is going on there?

We haven't had lips that beautiful in tokusatsu since Kamen Rider Kiva.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I really like Green's 'Gimmick'. Dude's just really quiet (I don't think he even had a line this episode?) and unflappable. Didn't even wince when Red/1 got tossed in the first fight.

#4 (color is fluid, number is not) had several lines, he was the one to start the conversation that kicked into the flashback, and relay that as soon as they got there the Conductor and Ticket conscripted them to be child soldiers.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
ToQ 01 was a lot of fun, kinda felt like a live action cartoon. I really like the "let's do this!" "I don't get it, but whatever" attitude of the show and hope it keeps up.

Still pretty iffy on the ToQ-oh design but I like the actual combining.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I wasn't super happy about the amount of CG in the fight but I will forgive a lot just because the thing actually ran on the tracks.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ToQger seems even more ridiculously silly than I was expecting but not in a bad way. Makes for an interesting contrast with Gaim.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One thing I don't like is the incredibly chatty background noise the show is doing. Mostly when they switch colors. Hope they tone it down for future episodes, otherwise it sounds really cluttered.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I got a bit of a laugh watching the subs and noticing O-T went with "ToQ-Oh" for the Robot. :allears:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Potsticker posted:

I got a bit of a laugh watching the subs and noticing O-T went with "ToQ-Oh" for the Robot. :allears:

Yup sure is a hilarious joke. :unsmigghh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

What else would you call it?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's a proper noun that doesn't have to be changed in service of an intertextual element though, ToQ-Oh is alright (and it's what OT is going with too, iirc.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

It's a proper noun that doesn't have to be changed in service of an intertextual element though, ToQ-Oh is alright (and it's what OT is going with too, iirc.)

ToQ-Oh is perfectly fine! And not only is OT doing it "too," it's also the subs I specifically mentioned!

And what struck me as funny was the hedging of bets against another ToQ King showin up. Unless there was a toy scan I missed?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Brother Entropy posted:

ToQger seems even more ridiculously silly than I was expecting but not in a bad way. Makes for an interesting contrast with Gaim.

Wait did you just say dancing fruit warring states with the belt who says goofy crap isn't ridiculous.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trill Twisty posted:

Wait did you just say dancing fruit warring states with the belt who says goofy crap isn't ridiculous.

Gaim is superficially ridiculous, but once you peel away the first layer, you see the true rotten fruit within.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Burkion posted:

Gaim is superficially ridiculous, but once you peel away the first layer, you see the true rotten fruit within.

That's loving disgusting, dude.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

Rei_ posted:

That's loving disgusting, dude.

Reminds me of something

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

One thing I was genuinely curious about was the decision for OT to go with Right for ToQ#1's name. With the Rainbow vs. Shadow plot, I would have expected Light to be the romanization to go with.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

One thing I was genuinely curious about was the decision for OT to go with Right for ToQ#1's name. With the Rainbow vs. Shadow plot, I would have expected Light to be the romanization to go with.

It was probably for the pop quiz at the end of the episode where he asks if his name is Right or Left.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caphi posted:

It was probably for the pop quiz at the end of the episode where he asks if his name is Right or Left.

Oh, I skipped the end and must have missed that.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
How often do they make villain figures because I want all of the bad guys, or at least a Crow figure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sentai and Rider don't really merchandise the monsters. That's more Ultra's domain.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do they even do a lot of action figures at all, other than the figuarts stuff? I thought it was mostly mecha toys and changers/weapons.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

Do they even do a lot of action figures at all, other than the figuarts stuff? I thought it was mostly mecha toys and changers/weapons.

I think most of the "low end" stuff would be like the soft vinyl figures. They go for about 7-8 bucks. Not really articulated though. In that regard, Bandai America does a better job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, Gaim has the Arms Change figures, which are more traditional action figures.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Surely they made separate figures for all 6 Carnival forms, right?
(Regular, Samba, Macho, Kung-Fu, Western, the one with Tobaspino)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Caphi posted:

Potsticker posted:

There was a dumb rumor that their names are light in multiple languages the same way the villains are black in multiple languages, but nobody ever gets beyond Hikari (indisputable) and Raito (potential). Finding that there is a Tokachi class train (it's even blue) suggested that the theme was more obvious, but couldn't pin down all five, even with our resident train otaku around.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

There was a dumb rumor that their names are light in multiple languages the same way the villains are black in multiple languages, but nobody ever gets beyond Hikari (indisputable) and Raito (potential). Finding that there is a Tokachi class train (it's even blue) suggested that the theme was more obvious, but couldn't pin down all five, even with our resident train otaku around.

I don't remember those rumors, but that image is clear enough. Thanks!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
5TIGMA THROUGH IDIOT HEARING

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uuurgh goddammit man, I need to study for finals!

...poo poo I'm downloading this right now and going through all the series now, it's inevitable...

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Kinda off-topic (sorry), but I finished watching Double for the first time, and I really loved the show (probably my favorite Kamen Rider now), but there's two plot points I'm really confused on:

(About half-way through) What exactly is Wakana's reasoning for accepting her place in the Museum? One moment she's begging Phillip to leave Fuuto with her, and she's waiting for him at the train station, and the next scene she's in, she's suddenly evil? There was basically zero transition in her character there and I'm still really :psyduck: on it.

(End of the series, ep. 45-46) What was the point of the Evil Tail? The show made it seem like Ryuube's justification for doing the things he did, but I can't connect the dots to that conclusion. Then it never comes up again.

Really good show, got me to buy toys, I was really happy with it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spoiler 1 response: There's no good reason. It's the part about W's plot I hate the most because that transition makes no sense at all.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
W spoilers

Wakana changes her mind because she's shown that Philip is the avatar and her brother, her father finally brings her into the fold and tells her what he believes, that the world will be destroyed if they don't initiate the Gaia Impact. After that, even if she had had second thoughts again, Isaka starts to experiment on her and she becomes ClayDoll Xtreme, and she's basically unable to exercise her own will.

The thing about the devil's tail is pretty obvious... Shotaro even goes over it in the arc. Ryubee is loving crazy. He put all his positive memories about his family and his life into that fetishistic item so that maybe when this is all over he can go back and get it and everything can be the way it used to be. It's that compartmentalization that allows him to put his children in danger and even sever Philip/Raito completely from his family unit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would have been a lot cooler with the mystery surrounding Wakana's sudden turn to evil if they hadn't followed that episode with the worst two episodes in the whole series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I would have been a lot cooler with the mystery surrounding Wakana's sudden turn to evil if they hadn't followed that episode with the worst two episodes in the whole series.

Heaven' Tornado is MUCH earlier my friend.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Heaven's Tornado was so good they made an entire Kamen Rider Series about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RBX posted:

Heaven's Tornado was so good they made an entire Kamen Rider Series about it!

Yes. They made an entire series about the cast suffering as much as possible.

• Locked thread