Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i like how they made a 3d model of that protester with the google glass and a scene with karpeles' head exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

OH

MY

GOD

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

holy poo poo piss

looks like bitcoin finally made it to the big leagues

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

holy jesus gently caress

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

yesssssss

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

oh my god

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
lol like depositors have any sort of equity stake in a company.

also dat vid

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

those areas i think are still clogged with tons of applications so it might be quite a while.

They just don't get published for 18 months from the filing date (unless you request early publication which is usually not a good idea), so you can't see anything recent. This will be hilarious in a year or so.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
That entire video was amazing. Nothing can top it. Might as well close the thread.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ryde posted:

Nothing can top it. Might as well close the thread.

this has been said so many times

bitcoin just keeps giving and giving

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

the segway of money

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Obviously deserving of a GIF

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so are shoddily-built exploding drones going to start killing off taiwanese news animators now too

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Paul Blart, GOX Cop

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

holy balls

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
emptyquoting without watching

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

holy poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help, police! Someone's stolen my bitboner!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
edit: i suck at gifs i guess!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pgroce posted:

2Mount2Goxious: Tokyo Grift

If you aint out of control you ain't in control!

Seriously though I lost the private keys

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-27/bitcoin-charges-improper-under-florida-law-lawyer-says.html

"Bitcoin Charges Called Improper Because Currency Not Real "

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
In my imagination I hope and pray barbarianbob was the one who figured out how to empty the MtGOX cold storage and hot wallet. Cosby full circle.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yessss show them exactly what "no regulation" truly means! :unsmigghh:

e: oh i thought this article was going to be all about mt gox stealing moeny from people nevermind

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

theflyingorc posted:

amazingly, the work Satoshi did is actually something to be proud of, it's good stuff from a program/design point of view - he didn't really create anything new, but he combined existing tech in a pretty clever way

you give him far too much credit

this crazy dude went through the trouble of constructing a bitcoin transaction by hand, choice quote:

"It turns out that actually using the Bitcoin protocol is harder than I expected. As you will see, the protocol is a bit of a jumble: it uses big-endian numbers, little-endian numbers, fixed-length numbers, variable-length numbers, custom encodings, DER encoding, and a variety of cryptographic algorithms, seemingly arbitrarily. As a result, there's a lot of annoying manipulation to get data into the right format.[7]"

if you read through the whole thing it's clear the bitcoin protocol is a hilarious clusterfuck

the best nakamoto theory i've seen built some evidence that he's a specific academic researcher with known ties to the chaumian e-cash sperg crowd. (explaining among other things why the bitcoin white paper is apparently written like a journal paper). researchers who mostly do theory are usually lovely terrible engineers who can barely write working code, this guy seems to prove that rule

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

do the altcoins even bother changing/improving the source at all or is it just search and replace names and some minor values?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

do the altcoins even bother changing/improving the source at all or is it just search and replace names and some minor values?

what does your heart tell you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I can't be bothered to remember which ones or look this trivial fact up, but some of them have replaced the proof of work algorithm with scrypt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the biggest change any of them made was litecoin being made to use scrypt, and litecoin was like the third bitcoin clone ever.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BobHoward posted:

you give him far too much credit

this crazy dude went through the trouble of constructing a bitcoin transaction by hand, choice quote:

"It turns out that actually using the Bitcoin protocol is harder than I expected. As you will see, the protocol is a bit of a jumble: it uses big-endian numbers, little-endian numbers, fixed-length numbers, variable-length numbers, custom encodings, DER encoding, and a variety of cryptographic algorithms, seemingly arbitrarily. As a result, there's a lot of annoying manipulation to get data into the right format.[7]"

if you read through the whole thing it's clear the bitcoin protocol is a hilarious clusterfuck

you left out the best quote

"I was curious if anyone would use the private key above to steal my 80 cents of bitcoins, and sure enough someone did."

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Misandrist Duck posted:

Paul Blart, GOX Cop

the cars look like theyre meant to be Mini Coopers

I was hoping they'd be FIATs

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Neodymium posted:

lol

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
One day we will tell our children these humorous tales around a camp fire.

Tales from the Crypto Keeper

Edit: Canadian version

Are you Afraid of the Dank?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i think there's only one that did anything meaningful (added functionality), everything else i've seen has just been shameful fiddling of the max number of bitcoins and other constants

i thought namecoin was the one that was powered by DNS servers, so answering DNS requests would be the equiv of doing all that stupid cryptomining busywork, meaning namecoin was actually "backed" by simply keeping the internet running

but i was wrong and it's actually dumber than that

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 28, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Neodymium posted:

The only thing missing is a chase atop a train

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

agreed

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/439243198934708224