Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh man, they showed the Mikasa/Krista/Armin/Connie/Jean titans :swoon:

v right, forgot for a second

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh man, they showed the Mikasa/Krista/Armin/Connie/Jean titans :swoon:

Might wanna change that one name in there.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting this from the manga thread. Hopefully no one else has already reported on this.

I may not have much time left, the grease has already spread through my entire body. But I did as I said I would and I went and got myself an Attack on Titan burger.

Not sure why the image is rotated, but whatever.

Okay, they're all landscape, but tilt your head and you'll be fine. Sadly, I did not also get the fries.

It comes with a keychain (they ran out of sword ones [and also wouldn't sell me any without the sets]) and a - I'm not sure what to call it, but basically the burger was never meant to be consumed by humans, so you wrap it in a paper cylinder and I don't know what you do next to get it into your mouth.

The keychain came with a card as well. I got Mikasa.

After great difficulty, I finally got the burger to stand on its own, long enough for a picture even. The layers of grease and cheese made for a great and terrible lubricant, I'm not sure who thought this would be a good idea. And yet, this isn't actually the first time Lotteria has sold one of these. Because I have actually eaten one of these burgers before, last year. When I asked, I learned that apparently three other people had ordered the burger as well at that location.

I think the worst part of it all was the single pickle on top. Like it was mocking me. I guess it's like how Japanese people order salads with their corn pizzas, there has to be some kind of vegetable somewhere, somehow.

It tasted like you imagine it would. I was going to take a few bites and then leave when I had given the workers enough time to suspect that maybe I ate it, but one of them saw me with a quite incomplete burger and decided I needed a fork.

So much grease.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The dub of the first episode just finished airing on Toonami, and I wish I comment on the voices more, but the only really important characters that have voices in this episode are the main trio, and they're all kids during the events of this episode, and from my experience dub voice actors tend to use a lot higher pitch when they voice kids as opposed to doing their regular adult voices for characters, so I'd have to see how they talk from the third episode, when a lot more characters who have names and voices show up.

It's been a while since I've seen anime on TV, but is it common practice now to significantly shorten the opening and ending credits? The first opening has so much personality for a minute and a half, but the dub shortened it down to like 30 seconds of a VERY abridged instrumental Guren no Yumiya, and at first I was thinking it may just because they don't want to have Japanese voices, which I can kind of understand, but then they had some of the lyrics for the ED, but that was also significantly shortened. Is it just because of ads they have to cut the running time down for TV?

When I watched the Funimation channel many years ago, they had the openings and endings kept intact, so I'm wondering what happened there.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Sylphid posted:

Is it just because of ads they have to cut the running time down for TV?
I believe that's it. We have more ad time than Japanese television. Pretty much everything accept Space Dandy and Black Lagoon had their OP's shorten.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sylphid posted:

The dub of the first episode just finished airing on Toonami, and I wish I comment on the voices more, but the only really important characters that have voices in this episode are the main trio, and they're all kids during the events of this episode, and from my experience dub voice actors tend to use a lot higher pitch when they voice kids as opposed to doing their regular adult voices for characters, so I'd have to see how they talk from the third episode, when a lot more characters who have names and voices show up.

It's been a while since I've seen anime on TV, but is it common practice now to significantly shorten the opening and ending credits? The first opening has so much personality for a minute and a half, but the dub shortened it down to like 30 seconds of a VERY abridged instrumental Guren no Yumiya, and at first I was thinking it may just because they don't want to have Japanese voices, which I can kind of understand, but then they had some of the lyrics for the ED, but that was also significantly shortened. Is it just because of ads they have to cut the running time down for TV?

When I watched the Funimation channel many years ago, they had the openings and endings kept intact, so I'm wondering what happened there.

The network usually cuts OP/EDs to fit American timeslots, but apparently they intended to run the full OP and got a cut version by mistake. They said they'll probably run the full version next week.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The second OAV is pretty great. I wouldn't mind if they put out shorts like that while we're waiting for season 2.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Has there been any word on when/if the dub will be hitting Hulu or Netflix? I just watched the first three episodes in Japanese on Netflix and love it so far, but I tend to prefer watching dubs when I have the choice these days and don't have cable. I might be willing to pay if the dub hits iTunes as well.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Behonkiss posted:

Has there been any word on when/if the dub will be hitting Hulu or Netflix? I just watched the first three episodes in Japanese on Netflix and love it so far, but I tend to prefer watching dubs when I have the choice these days and don't have cable. I might be willing to pay if the dub hits iTunes as well.

Probably not until after its run on TV.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Go RV! posted:

Finally got around to watching this, and boy, this is just a whole other can of worms.

Same. The animation did it fair justice as well, and fills in some questions as to Hanji's motivation for me

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, uh... I'd seen the first couple episodes with some friends a while back, and it being on Adult Swim prompted me to marathon it on Netflix in the last two days. The show's pretty kick-rear end, but from skimming the last couple pages, I'd guess there's no season two yet? Most of my experience is with old school anime that tended to stick to the 13 or 26 episode run for the whole thing, so jonesing for anime is a new and terrifying experience.

Terper posted:

Someone's uploaded the very first scene and opening, and it's quite a riot. Oh Jean. :iamafag: Don't know about any subs yet.

This is pretty amazing, the bit at the very end (the only part with Eren in it) had me in stitches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There won't be a season two for at least another year since the manga isn't quite at a point where making a second season would be feasible or at least make sense without putting in tons of filler.

You could always join us manga readers. If for nothing else to avoid getting future events spoiled for you since holy moly even googling Attack on Titan(don't do this) results in boatloads of spoilers even in the website descriptions and poo poo, and I've seen a few facebook posts that are spoileriffic just out of the blue by random friends.

If you start reading the manga, I suggest beginning at 32, that's where it starts to significantly diverge from how the anime ended things.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think next.. January? We'll have the same amount of manga used for the first season (33 Chapters) available for the second. But then there'd be no manga left and it'd be like 2˝ years before they had ANOTHER 33 Chapters (Assuming it lasts that long.) I have no idea what the gameplan is to avoid scenarios like that.

Despite what everyone (Myself included) has said about the pacing for the series, if they wanted to do a half-length season, I think there is at least one good stopping point for that right now.

I wonder if it will just be turned into an OVA series.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Captain Invictus posted:

There won't be a season two for at least another year since the manga isn't quite at a point where making a second season would be feasible or at least make sense without putting in tons of filler.

You could always join us manga readers. If for nothing else to avoid getting future events spoiled for you since holy moly even googling Attack on Titan(don't do this) results in boatloads of spoilers even in the website descriptions and poo poo, and I've seen a few facebook posts that are spoileriffic just out of the blue by random friends.

If you start reading the manga, I suggest beginning at 32, that's where it starts to significantly diverge from how the anime ended things.

Thanks for this. I just started watching on Monday and am now caught up on Animes and am blue balled as gently caress. Before 32 is there anything I should read as a one off or anything like that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's Ilse's Side Journal, a side story, but it's not 100% required and doesn't involve anyone in the main crew personally.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
If you don't want to wait on a week-by-week basis for the dub, there's a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack of the first 13 episodes coming out early next month, complete with a more expensive Limited Edition. I might just get that instead of continuing my watch of the Japanese version on Netflix, though I'll watch some clips of the dub first to make sure nothing about it rubs me the wrong way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Since my friends won't shut the gently caress up about it I gave in an watched an anime series all the way through and overall I liked it! People have pretty much echoed my negative sentiments about season 1 in this thread already (bad pacing, boring/pointless episodes, way too many cliffhangers, unnecessarily added and cut content like backstory building up Eren and Annie's relationship, I would have liked to see that, a metric shitload of whining, endless repetition) but for some reason I still enjoyed my time with Attack on Titan. Maybe it's my weird fondness for Fake Japanese Europe in anime and games, maybe it's the non-hypersexualization of female characters, or maybe that it's just generally something a bit different. I'm not in here to bust on anime but as someone who usually avoids it like the plague I'm looking forward to season 2.

Also "Ilse’s Notebook" was probably one of the best episodes so far. There needs to be more of that filling in the world and less moping and crying about absolutely everything. Some more specific observations/critiques about the show:
  • I kinda hate how Eren's titan form looks. Why is he the only one with weird elf ears? He looks like a goddamn dumb goblin and it doesn't seem to follow the "rules" of Annie and the other human titans.
  • And kinda echoing above I'm not sure how I feel about Annie's whack-rear end crystal prison. It felt like a rule change just to drag things out a bit.
  • The show does a real bad job of showing just how big the walls are. If I didn't read this thread and see the diagrams I'd have thought the entire walled area was much smaller than it actually was. That being said, how big it actually is only heightens the mystery.
  • Sasha, Zoe, Levi, and Mikasa are the best. Eren and Armin are the worst. Truth.
  • It wasn't until the end of the 57th expedition that I actually cared about who was getting killed. The show does an awful job for the most part of making the audience give a drat about the Scouting Regiment as their members seem to mostly be loving idiots. The Trost battles are the worst for this easily with the whole "our job is to distract them OH NO we lost most of our people already somehow Eren you should feel bad about this" speech.
  • I laughed when the wall worshipping congregation got smashed. Maybe I'm the true monster.
  • It cracks me up that they used Old West style covered wagons. It seems so completely out of place unless I'm completely mistaken and that style of prairie schooner was also used in Europe but I've never seen that referenced in history before.

Maybe I'll watch the dubbed versions as they come out but drat if I wish they'd re-edit good chunks of this show. I can't imagine sitting through some of that tripe twice even to get to the meaty action scenes and other goodness. Also here's hoping they animate some of the many parts they just didn't in the first pass.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe I'll watch the dubbed versions as they come out but drat if I wish they'd re-edit good chunks of this show. I can't imagine sitting through some of that tripe twice even to get to the meaty action scenes and other goodness. Also here's hoping they animate some of the many parts they just didn't in the first pass.

Anime revenue comes almost entirely from dvd/blu-ray sales and merchandise, so many studios will just say "gently caress it" and release some half-baked stuff that they'll finish in the blu-ray release.

Also I really like Eren.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Eren as a character is fine (I enjoy mentally unhinged protagonists) but I guess once again I got burned out on the repetitive inner monologues. His character good, the writing for his character many times insufferable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Yodzilla posted:

[*]And kinda echoing above I'm not sure how I feel about Annie's whack-rear end crystal prison. It felt like a rule change just to drag things out a bit.
No change here, its just the hardening ability again (and also important to the plot)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now read the manga starting from chapter 32 and get your mind blown. :allears:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Now read the manga starting from chapter 32 and get your mind blown. :allears:

Do it. :downs:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Eren as a character is fine (I enjoy mentally unhinged protagonists) but I guess once again I got burned out on the repetitive inner monologues. His character good, the writing for his character many times insufferable.

His character perfectly written to be so insufferable you kinda root for the bad guys when he gets his face shoved in, but it also makes for some pretty good growth.

Expect to see more growth through the series in the manga as well as anime.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I marathoned half of season 1 on Hulu. Good loving God that's a lot of commercials. Commercials before it starts -> intro -> 4 commercials -> 1st act -> SOME MORE COMMERCIALS -> 2nd act -> YOU BET YOUR rear end THERE'S COMMERCIALS -> Ending -> repeat

I basically use that time to play the AOT flash game

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

How long would this be if you stripped it of all commercials, intros, endings, flashbacks and recaps.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Just watch it on Netflix.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hear a lot about subtitles this subtitles that, how one site has better subs than another, is there any credence to this or is it just pedantic bs

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I hear a lot about subtitles this subtitles that, how one site has better subs than another, is there any credence to this or is it just pedantic bs

Are you talking about the fansubs? There was a big ruckus over the fansubs because one of the groups that subbed Attack on Titan as it was airing in Japan decided that "Attack on Titan" was a really dumb name and that the Titans shouldn't be called as such; therefore he changed the name to "The Eoten Onslaught" and renamed "Titan" to "Eoten." Who the gently caress knows why he chose "Eoten."

There's also other slight differences (one group calls them the Recon Corps while another calls them the Scouting Legion, etc.) but besides the whole Eoten thing, it's just pedantic BS.

If you're watching this on Hulu or Netflix you don't have to worry about any of the fansub crap.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Eoten is some manner of bastardization of Ettin, from the scandinavian Jotun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

It's nitpicky bs most of the time but in the case of AoT I went with HorribleSubs.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Commie subs was the most accurate, as they respected the honorifics, a prefix or suffix for proper nouns that indicates the respective social status of the speaker. It's an important part of the Nipponese language!

As such, every titan was correctly referred to as "that motherfucking titan bitch" or "that goddamn titan fuckburger."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Squidster posted:

Commie subs was the most accurate, as they respected the honorifics, a prefix or suffix for proper nouns that indicates the respective social status of the speaker. It's an important part of the Nipponese language!

As such, every titan was correctly referred to as "that motherfucking titan bitch" or "that goddamn titan fuckburger."

Mikasa referring to Levi as "that midget" was funny and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Episode 5 of the dub aired yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ujjeNmaOM

:toot:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Where can the commie subs be watched

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

Where can the commie subs be watched

It's :filez: so you'll have to google for it yourself, not that we'd endorse doing that. If you do that keep in mind you might have to download a torrent, and can't just watch it streamed.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Renoistic posted:

Mikasa referring to Levi as "that midget" was funny and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:
Commie subs were unironically the best subs - AoT is the kind of show that's improved by a bit of righteous profanity. "How DARE you motherfucker!" convey more than the literal translation that Crunchy/Horriblsubs used. Recon Corp 4 life yo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xavier434 posted:

It's nitpicky bs most of the time but in the case of AoT I went with HorribleSubs.

HorribleSubs is just pirated rips of stuff from Crunchyroll or Funimation's streaming services.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Squidster posted:

Commie subs were unironically the best subs
A lot of people think "giants" are probably nice. Apart from that, there's another huge, basic advantage "eoten" has over "Titan" and "giant": it's Anglo-Saxon. A basic rule of thumb in English writing is that if you're describing a scientific, cultural, elegant, or intellectual item, you want to select a word of Latinate or Greek origin (example: "endeavor"), but if you're talking about something everyday, deeply-felt, fearful, or weird you want to call upon words from the deep Anglo-Saxon (that is, Germanic and Norse) roots of the English tongue (example: "work"). The old, Anglo-Saxon side of English forms the grounds of the language in a way that even 1066 couldn't destroy, and it's always peeking through the intellectual veneer of the newer Latinate words... exactly as the Eotena's hoary truth can't be kept out by the humans of "The Eotena Onslaught."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well AoT isn't European fantasy, it's a bizzaro-world Japanese interpretation of European fantasy. The stilted broken English of something like 'Attack on Titan' or 'Fullmetal Alchemist' is part of the charm, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Elotana posted:

A lot of people think "giants" are probably nice. Apart from that, there's another huge, basic advantage "eoten" has over "Titan" and "giant": it's Anglo-Saxon. A basic rule of thumb in English writing is that if you're describing a scientific, cultural, elegant, or intellectual item, you want to select a word of Latinate or Greek origin (example: "endeavor"), but if you're talking about something everyday, deeply-felt, fearful, or weird you want to call upon words from the deep Anglo-Saxon (that is, Germanic and Norse) roots of the English tongue (example: "work"). The old, Anglo-Saxon side of English forms the grounds of the language in a way that even 1066 couldn't destroy, and it's always peeking through the intellectual veneer of the newer Latinate words... exactly as the Eotena's hoary truth can't be kept out by the humans of "The Eotena Onslaught."
Are you quoting this or something?

• Locked thread