Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Blood Ravens are cool.

The books written about the Blood Ravens are not cool. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
CS Goto man.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

vigorous sodomy posted:

And books, but at least those lovely chapters are legit/canon.

Sorry man, Blood Ravens are canon too.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070209...lood-ravens.pdf

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

On a more serious note, how is Down Amongst the Dead Men? Or Baneblade and its spinoff short stories? I'm especially keen on the second one because, you know, Baneblade.
Down is alright - it's a short story that shows you how screwed up Krieg is. It focuses more on the Krieg than Dead Men Walking does. Baneblade is decent - the prologue is really cool and shows you the drawn out process of building and consecrating a Baneblade. It's also got a crazy Ork Weirdboy in a Gargant. I swear I read the two Baneblade-related shorts, but I can't remember anything about them...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

This came out months after the DoW games did. That has to count for something. Are the blood ravens in the official SM codex with rules and such?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

vigorous sodomy posted:

This came out months after the DoW games did. That has to count for something. Are the blood ravens in the official SM codex with rules and such?
They're mentioned in the Space Marine codex and they have had a painted model or two shown in there. GW/WD staff Blood Ravens armies have been showcased by White Dwarf a few times too. Forge World also sells a Blood Ravens transfer sheet.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey so just how necessary is the astronomican really? I mean during the great crusade the emperor went all over the galaxy, so how did starships navigate the warp while he was away from the astronomican? Was the warp just easier to navigate prior to the heresy?

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mr.48 posted:

Hey so just how necessary is the astronomican really? I mean during the great crusade the emperor went all over the galaxy, so how did starships navigate the warp while he was away from the astronomican? Was the warp just easier to navigate prior to the heresy?

Well Slaanesh had just been born so the warp was much calmer before the heresy, i think the Astronomican was either less needed or maybe the Emperor could do a similar effect to it before he was sitting in it? I might be wrong but wasn't the Astronomican built first over to be the gateway to the Webway connected to Earth? It's been quite a while since i read about this stuff.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...
I think the fluff infers that the astronomicon was always centred on Terra, even when the Emperor was away on the Crusade. He is just that awesome.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The Emperor focuses the Astronomicon. It's light is provided by thousands of dying psykers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not really BL related, but GW has a new page showcasing their licensed products: http://licensing.games-workshop.com/

holyshitsomanygamescomingsoon

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

VanSandman posted:

The Emperor focuses the Astronomicon. It's light is provided by thousands of dying psykers.

DocHorror posted:

I think the fluff infers that the astronomicon was always centred on Terra, even when the Emperor was away on the Crusade. He is just that awesome.

Oh yeah i don't how i forgot this.

I'm really annoyed because i was given an Omnibus called the Sundering by an acquaintance a week ago and i know Gav Thorpe not good at writing and i have spent a huge part of that week looking up reviews on the internet but all i found was reviews that focus on the positive aspects with the only thing negative i have seen mentionned was it was plodding at some points) would you guys give it 4 to 5 stars like others on the internet do?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VanSandman posted:

The Emperor always powered it at first and he didn't even need to be on Terra to do it. The only reason he was ever injured was he was so far away from it, still powering it, and while in massive combat an Ork boss got a lucky hit it because he was so focused on keeping the Astronomican powered.

Then while back on Terra during the revolt Malcador said "Hey, we could use psykers to power it, you just focus it, frees you up to concentrate 100% on fighting Horus" and the Emperor grudgingly agreed.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Much to my genuine surprise The Talon of Horus arrived today, my girlfriend bought me it on the sly after I said I wanted it but wouldn't accept the price. The best of both worlds!

I'm 80ish pages in and its already a great read, ADB talks a lot in his intro about using older sources for the 'big reveals' about how chaos actually works and the book goes into detail regarding the effect of the eye of terror on the Legions and its crew minions. EG: Those chaos crew members who are flesh melted into their consoles are actually enjoying themselves and gain heightened senses for their craft and so on, not unlike Titan commanders.

Its taken a while but its basically the book I've been waiting for since I started collecting Chaos marines in second ed at the age of 11, where I would sneer at other people's perception of evil corrupted demon marines and say mine still had chapter banners and pride in their Legion roots. ADB caters to that extensively in this book and shares the love outside of the Night Lords Legion, its gonna be interesting seeing how the perspective on Chaos will be changed by it since he is given reign to change the foundation of what Chaos Marines are about and enjoys explaining the nuts and bolts of what they do and why they do it.

I'll refrain from posting any spoilers at least until some others weigh in on reading the book, but its great so far.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

maev posted:

Much to my genuine surprise The Talon of Horus arrived today, my girlfriend bought me it on the sly after I said I wanted it but wouldn't accept the price. The best of both worlds!

I'm 80ish pages in and its already a great read, ADB talks a lot in his intro about using older sources for the 'big reveals' about how chaos actually works and the book goes into detail regarding the effect of the eye of terror on the Legions and its crew minions. EG: Those chaos crew members who are flesh melted into their consoles are actually enjoying themselves and gain heightened senses for their craft and so on, not unlike Titan commanders.

Its taken a while but its basically the book I've been waiting for since I started collecting Chaos marines in second ed at the age of 11, where I would sneer at other people's perception of evil corrupted demon marines and say mine still had chapter banners and pride in their Legion roots. ADB caters to that extensively in this book and shares the love outside of the Night Lords Legion, its gonna be interesting seeing how the perspective on Chaos will be changed by it since he is given reign to change the foundation of what Chaos Marines are about and enjoys explaining the nuts and bolts of what they do and why they do it.

I'll refrain from posting any spoilers at least until some others weigh in on reading the book, but its great so far.

what is the time setting for Talons of Horus? Is this like, immediatley after the failed siege of terra? right before the 13th black crusade?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Its a few centuries after the defeat at Terra, with the book covering the nadir of the Chaos Legions and them pointing fingers and warring in the Eye of Terror. It will go on to how the Black Legion is formed and they become a credible threat to the Imperium rather than killing each other. The next book is called 'Black Legion' so that will probably cover the first black crusade.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

pentyne posted:

The Emperor always powered it at first and he didn't even need to be on Terra to do it. The only reason he was ever injured was he was so far away from it, still powering it, and while in massive combat an Ork boss got a lucky hit it because he was so focused on keeping the Astronomican powered.

Then while back on Terra during the revolt Malcador said "Hey, we could use psykers to power it, you just focus it, frees you up to concentrate 100% on fighting Horus" and the Emperor grudgingly agreed.

Ah ok, didnt realize the Emperor could operate the thing remotely.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not really BL related, but GW has a new page showcasing their licensed products: http://licensing.games-workshop.com/

holyshitsomanygamescomingsoon

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/rebirth-first-edition.html

I hope you have all pre-ordered your £40 Nick Kyme Salamanders book.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The doorbell rang from the mail lady, which usually means a package came.

It wasn't mine. I am crushed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Ah ok, didnt realize the Emperor could operate the thing remotely.

Like all current fluff, it was recently jammed into the lore via the HH books for another contrived reason for the Emperor to ditch Horus and let the resentment stew among the Primarchs.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Its actually kinda great to read stuff which is just post heresy, since you have a lot of the mystery and flavour of being 9 thousand years ago, but lack the supermen manchildren with 80s names running about.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Its going to be a long wait until November :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I had a dream about receiving the book in the mail.

I was absolutely livid when I woke up.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Whoever brought up Riders of the Dead, thanks. Really solid book.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Are there any good Deathwatch books other than Deathwatch? I liked the parts of Blood of Asenhiem (spelling) that talked about it.

im lookin for stuff tohold me over until Talons gets released

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

maev posted:

Its actually kinda great to read stuff which is just post heresy, since you have a lot of the mystery and flavour of being 9 thousand years ago, but lack the supermen manchildren with 80s names running about.

I prefer Age of Apostasy myself

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Are there any books based on the AoA yet? Seems like a pretty ripe setting for a decent writer.

Actually... since we already know that we're going to get some books taking place right after the Horus Heresy, maybe they're planning to cover all the events from the HH to the 13th Black Crusade chronologically!

With 10,000 years of history to fill, they can keep publishing books and never have to advance the setting!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

One Legged Cat posted:

Are there any books based on the AoA yet? Seems like a pretty ripe setting for a decent writer.

Actually... since we already know that we're going to get some books taking place right after the Horus Heresy, maybe they're planning to cover all the events from the HH to the 13th Black Crusade chronologically!

With 10,000 years of history to fill, they can keep publishing books and never have to advance the setting!

I think gw just found their new ceo

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Waroduce posted:

I think gw just found their new ceo

Haha no, I like making money and intelligent decisions

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One Legged Cat posted:

Haha no, I like making money and intelligent decisions

Eh, one out of two ain't bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fearless posted:

More like 1/3 out of 2. GW has fallen pretty far since their heyday.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Going to jump back to how silly vengeful spirit was. I had forgotten to mention the stupid plague marine composed of sentient world-eater virus, and how Mortarian can drink the poo poo with zero side-effects. Idiotic...guess Chaos wins the loving war guys, time to go home.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fearless posted:

It's worth pointing out (as Pentyne alluded) that GW of the moment doesn't actually like "making money" in a proper sense, either.

What they do like is the act of putting high sticker prices on their items, which is no longer the same thing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

It's worth pointing out (as Pentyne alluded) that GW of the moment doesn't actually like "making money" in a proper sense, either.

What they do like is the act of putting high sticker prices on their items, which is no longer the same thing.

Have you actually looked at their financial statements?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cream_Filling posted:

Have you actually looked at their financial statements?

Yes, I'm aware that they still have money coming in and are not near the point of hanging up a for-sale sign on their factory, if that's the rhetorical 360noscope you were leading up to.

It still doesn't mean their current approaches are anywhere near a good answer to the question of 'hmm how can we maximize our sales.'

e: sorry in advance if this seems pretty snarky; it's just annoying how people always come into discussions of GW's corporate health with 'WELL THEY AREN'T BANKRUPT SO THEY MUST BE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT' or similar sentiments. It got old in Games long ago.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 1, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Uroboros posted:

Going to jump back to how silly vengeful spirit was. I had forgotten to mention the stupid plague marine composed of sentient world-eater virus, and how Mortarian can drink the poo poo with zero side-effects. Idiotic...guess Chaos wins the loving war guys, time to go home.

You are familiar with 40K right? He was essentially a plague daemon. Also, Mortarion is a Primarch who survived just about every poison thrown at him on his homeworld. Lorgar gets shot in the face with a Titan's plasma cannon and Angron gets stomped on by a Titan.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

Yes, I'm aware that they still have money coming in and are not near the point of hanging up a for-sale sign on their factory, if that's the rhetorical 360noscope you were leading up to.

It still doesn't mean their current approaches are anywhere near a good answer to the question of 'hmm how can we maximize our sales.'

Their approach for the past 5 years or so has consistently grown their business and profitability. They seem to be doing fine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

Their approach for the past 5 years or so has consistently grown their business and profitability. They seem to be doing fine.
Uh... no? They're down majorly on profits. They're still in the black, but they're losing ground fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Cream_Filling is looking to be the next CEO.