Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That bird desires the total extinction of mankind. I hope you're happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Trying to get in some last-minute cuddles/preening time before I leave tomorrow:

Ohtori however, is much less sentimental and quickly decided it was TIME TO WRESTLE. Not pictured: angry flailing, squeaks, rolling over, kicking at me, much biting between thumb and forefinger

At this point he was getting too bitey so I gave him a foot toy to fight with, and he did, but so furiously I couldn't get any non-blurry photos.

We got there in the end :3:

It's not fair that Ohtori is this beautiful and this adorable :allears:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Father-in-law built us a travel cage for Saturday:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So we have a problem. We're at the in-laws', where we only have an elderly cage that's on the small side and has flaking paint on the bars that I frankly don't trust. We have a pristine, bird-safe travel cage (pictured in my previous post) that's really on the small side. Like, really.

We're likely getting the birds tomorrow but we might not be going home until Sunday and we live several towns over. Is it okay for the birds to spend one night in the small travel cage if they're gonna be allowed out in our room here for the rest of the day?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They'll be fine. I spent some weeks living out of a hotel a few years ago and Ama resided in a tiny travel kennel.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Zeke and Zoe spent ten years living in a cage that size with two other birds. Your new guys will be fine. :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yeah, they might not LIKE it but for a few days they will be physically and psychologically fine. Just annoyed.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cythereal posted:

That bird desires the total extinction of mankind. I hope you're happy.

Sounds like his usual attitude :v:

Wizard of Smart posted:

More like AWWWtori

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's not fair that Ohtori is this beautiful and this adorable :allears:

:3:

Apparently they're all furious at their upset routines now I'm gone, especially Ohtori, who refuses to believe he shouldn't be allowed free reign over the butter dish and all the food prepared around him as apology.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We have our birds. :3:

One of them wouldn't leave the travel cage for the big temporary cage and my partner tried to gently take him out and, well. My partner got bit by a 10-week-old budgie. :( I hope we haven't traumatised them.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh god. The one that wouldn't leave the cage is now sitting in the travel cage bobbing his head. Is that normal? Is he okay? :ohdear:

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

chthonic bell posted:

Oh god. The one that wouldn't leave the cage is now sitting in the travel cage bobbing his head. Is that normal? Is he okay? :ohdear:

Bobbing his head means he's super happy about something!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, whew. I suppose he likes the ratty old cage we're using temporarily. :v:

Now he's climbing the cage bars and both chirp whenever we talk. I am taking those to be good signs? I didn't expect them to be active today at all.

Also, uh, how do I tell if the birds are scared? Or fighting? They're flying around the cage chirping at us and each other and earlier Hubris (the green, fat one) was knocking his beak against the beak of Gnosis (the smaller, blue one).

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Karl's recently caught on whenever I'm cooking chicken, and has started to make his way to his treat/fruit bowl and making sad african-grey whistles to ask for bits.

He's such a cutie. Is plain boiled/fried on a bit of oil chicken fine for him every few days? Or is that too often? I cook chicken based dishes a lot.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Also: how soon should I be letting the budgies roam the room?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

N17R4M posted:

Karl's recently caught on whenever I'm cooking chicken, and has started to make his way to his treat/fruit bowl and making sad african-grey whistles to ask for bits.

He's such a cutie. Is plain boiled/fried on a bit of oil chicken fine for him every few days? Or is that too often? I cook chicken based dishes a lot.

I'd say it's fine - salt is more of a problem than a bit of meat with a little bit of oil. Pookie loooves to eat a bit of rare steak, also spaghetti bolognese.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Pookah posted:

I'd say it's fine - salt is more of a problem than a bit of meat with a little bit of oil. Pookie loooves to eat a bit of rare steak, also spaghetti bolognese.

Funny you say that, I've got a pan full of bolognese on the stove. I dread to see the mess though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

chthonic bell posted:

One of them wouldn't leave the travel cage for the big temporary cage and my partner tried to gently take him out and, well. My partner got bit by a 10-week-old budgie. :( I hope we haven't traumatised them.

Oh man, if how often I've been bitten by my 'too was an indicator of his trauma level then he's been through WWI, WWII, and 'nam combined.

(Don't worry about it.)

chthonic bell posted:

Now he's climbing the cage bars and both chirp whenever we talk. I am taking those to be good signs? I didn't expect them to be active today at all.

Also, uh, how do I tell if the birds are scared? Or fighting? They're flying around the cage chirping at us and each other and earlier Hubris (the green, fat one) was knocking his beak against the beak of Gnosis (the smaller, blue one).

Gnosis, what an awesome and ridiculous name for a bird.

Birds are very weird, but in the best ways so don't let their crazy behavior freak you out. They're birds, it's their one job to be hyperactive, especially budgies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Eejit posted:

I agree, though Hubris is probably more accurate :sun:

I can't wait to see photos of the new additions!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

N17R4M posted:

Funny you say that, I've got a pan full of bolognese on the stove. I dread to see the mess though.

Pookie likes her spaghetti with enough sauce to coat, but no lumps. She also holds each strand in her fist and neatly chomps off sections; she is a remarkably efficient eater of spaghetti.

:)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

chthonic bell posted:

Beak bopping is standard budgie conversation - it's totally fine and normal. Fighting is more when the kicking and knocking over starts.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I visited the local pet store tonight to pick up a treat for my mother's dog and oh my gosh, they had a big cage with like a dozen zebra finches in it. Maybe the most sympathetic noises I've ever heard a bird make, it was like a whole cageful of teenytiny trucks stuck in reverse.

meep meep meep meep meep...

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

All is well! You have happy budgies! As for the bopping, that's pretty standard. Fuji will do it to me when he's on my shoulder and I'm not giving him enough attention. Just watch out for kicking or pushing each other over.

Just keep talking to them and soon they'll be wanting to chat with you all the time!

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pookah posted:

Pookie likes her spaghetti with enough sauce to coat, but no lumps. She also holds each strand in her fist and neatly chomps off sections; she is a remarkably efficient eater of spaghetti.

:)

Now seems an appropriate time to post this:

In regards to chicken, Pearl loves crunching on the bones and getting the marrow out. It just makes her super amped a day or so after. Leads to craziness...

In other bird news, no sign of our rescue's owner. My husband has named her Fi (for Formula One, the first thing we'd seen her have a reaction to). We've sort of grown attached. Currently we're working on switching over from so much millet, and I'm using the times I give her millet as sessions to get her more used to my hands.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Corvids are just so cool.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Hubris has climbed to the roof of the cage, where he's plucking at one of the bars, like he's trying to break it. :stare:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Mine do that too. He probably just likes the twangy feels.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
Sooo...I accidentally got another bird. Well, not me, it's my boyfriend's bird. Right.

I usually stop and look at the birds in our local Petco and think "well that's too bad, he seems like a nice bird but I'm not gonna get a bird from Petco" and walk away. There was this one cinnamon turquoise green cheek that was really pretty and seemed super friendly but I already have two birds.

Cut to last Monday when I had to run to Petco for the first time in a couple of months to replace my fish tank heater, and this little turquoise green cheek is still there. He's 50% off. I look at his arrival date and it's in April. He's been in this horrible tiny Petco cage for more than six months. He's trying so hard to cuddle us through the glass. My boyfriend and I are like "oh no" and we leave to go get dinner and turn right around and come back and ask to see him. He's a little afraid but he lets us give him scritches and we can cup our hands around his back and he leans into us. At this point the store is closing and we have to leave. The girl who's showing us to him asks us a little about our birds and tells us that she'd be really happy to see him go home with us.

We agonize about it all week, do we really want another bird, what if they don't get along, what if he turns out to be a girl. I tell my boyfriend that if it were me alone I would say no but if he wants a bird I think we could make it work. We go back to visit a few times and he's just playing with his toys. We think maybe he's okay, maybe he's not too unhappy in his cage.

We walk in today to "check to see if cat food is on sale" and go straight to his cage. He runs over to try and cuddle through the glass and he's limping pretty noticeably. We look at each other and my boyfriend says "So what do we need to buy to bring him home?"

Meet Jenkins (name not chosen by us but we'll probably keep it and add a Leeroy):

He was pretty nervous for the first few hours and just sat in his cage cuddling the toy from his petco cage. In the last few hours though, he's come out of the cage and snuggled under my boyfriend's chin, sat on the windowsill for a while, and let me preen his many pinfeathers while obviously in close-to-total bliss. His limp is also pretty much gone (we'll ask the vet about it though).

His tag said he was "hand-fed" whatever that means in the context of crappy bird mills but he really is a super friendly bab so far. The people working at Petco all acted sad to see him go but also seemed pretty relieved that he was going home with people who (hopefully) don't seem like idiots.

We'll make a vet appt for him ASAP and we're going to use the quarantine period to help him bond with my boyfriend. Honestly I'm a little scared that Oliver will love Jenkins more than he loves me but if that happens I guess it's all for the best. Ideally though I'd like for Jenkins to bond with my boyfriend and for Oliver and him to just be buddies who can entertain each other so I don't feel so guilty about leaving them alone.

I will post more pictures when he's feeling a little less scared. He's seriously so pretty, and $200 for a cinnamon turq is really cheap compared to what local breeders charge, if you can even find a turquoise. We just hope that petco didn't make much profit off the sale.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

He's a really good looking bird. Eyes like dinner plates though haha, that is one disoriented bird, but that will pass. Congrats and I hope all goes will with him.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Currently I'm sitting on the couch on my back porch, having a coffee and watching the birds. The pied currawong is walking around, with 2 new holland honey eaters flitting about above it, calling in artillery strikes as soon as it tries to take off. There is another bigger honey eater sitting up on a tree and its dive bombing the poo poo out of the currawong when the new hollands make a certain noise. I'm OK with this because those drat currawongs scared away the bronze wing pigeons that were making a nest outside the kitchen window.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Frogman, do you see many purple crowned lorikeets down your way?

My girlfriend and I were on holiday in your neck of the woods last year, saw plenty of the other local birds while we were down there but no purple crowned lorikeets.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The odd one here or there, but it's not a regular sighting.

Though as I was typing this, a Lori that looked a lot like one came a perched on our water tank, looked at me for a few seconds then flew off.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Eejit posted:

Oh man, if how often I've been bitten by my 'too was an indicator of his trauma level then he's been through WWI, WWII, and 'nam combined.

(Don't worry about it.)

Whew. They were aviary-raised and not hand-fed, so they're scared of hands still. At least they freak out less now than they did on the first day.

quote:

Birds are very weird, but in the best ways so don't let their crazy behavior freak you out. They're birds, it's their one job to be hyperactive, especially budgies.

They were originally going to be Phobos and Deimos but then we decided not to name birds "Fear" and "Terror" :v: But yeah, they're super hyperactive. I dread the day they figure out how to play with the bell in their cage.

DarkHorse posted:

I agree, though Hubris is probably more accurate :sun:

I can't wait to see photos of the new additions!

Here's them in the travel cage!

Hubris.

Gnosis

Pookah posted:

Beak bopping is standard budgie conversation - it's totally fine and normal. Fighting is more when the kicking and knocking over starts.

Sociopastry posted:

All is well! You have happy budgies! As for the bopping, that's pretty standard. Fuji will do it to me when he's on my shoulder and I'm not giving him enough attention. Just watch out for kicking or pushing each other over.

Just keep talking to them and soon they'll be wanting to chat with you all the time!

Oh, good. They've been chirping and chattering at each other a lot.

And they start chirping when my partner and I are having a conversation. I assume that's them trying to join in. :v:

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

chthonic bell posted:

Here's them in the travel cage!

:kimchi: That's the cutest thing. Makes me want a pair myself.

Here's a picture of Karl stopping his swinging for a moment to eyeball the phone.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Posting this at the request of LITERALLY A BIRD: parrot.gif

From this BBC clip.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Kea are amazing.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So when should we be starting to let the little bastards out? They're still shy of hands, is the thing.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
DAY 4: THE BUDGIES ATE SEED OUT OF OUR HANDS.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

So when should we be starting to let the little bastards out? They're still shy of hands, is the thing.

I'd wait for a bit- it took Tokyo (RIP) about a month before she was comfortable being out of the cage. Fuji still is a bit skittish, but I think that's mostly because he's on his own now.

Also congrats on hand feeding them! You'll have them stepping up in no time!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

chthonic bell posted:

DAY 4: THE BUDGIES ATE SEED OUT OF OUR HANDS.

Hahaha it's me from a few weeks ago.

I didn't let smuggler out till I knew a way to get her back. Fresh grass seeds seemed to work well.

Switch their diet to pellets asap, so seeds can be the treat used to train them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, we'll be switching them to pellets soon! I'm going out to get them some fruit and vegetables, too.

Partner feeding them by hand.

They ate out of my hand, too.

And later they perched on my partner's hand. :kimchi: After that, I think they were full bc they weren't as interested in my hand (full of seed) and I couldn't stand at the cage for long periods of time bc I am a literal cripple and my arms were starting to convulse from the effort of keeping them up.