Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Waroduce posted:

Are there any books that cover the 13th Black Crusade?

Well there's a background book called "The 13th Black Crusade" by Andy Hoare but it's been out of print for 10 years, you might be able to find a used copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Waroduce posted:

Are there any books that cover the 13th Black Crusade?

I never played warhams, what like super major events took place in the game world and aren't covered by a novel? Most of them? Like my buddy told me when he played as a kid gw used to have world wide tournaments and poo poo that would significantly alter the lore and direction of the game, but they quit with the 13th Black Crusade.

Is it true Chaos wiped the floor with the Imperium and gw had to retcon a bunch of poo poo and thats why they dont do it anymore?

Are there any lore related podcasts? I have a long rear end drive coming up.

There's a podcast called After Ullanor which is basically the Horus Heresy book club:
http://garagehammer.net/2013/02/after-ullanor-episode-0-before-ullanor/

The 13th Black Crusade campaign had Chaos wrecking shop and killing Eldrad, but GW ended it by saying they'd basically set foot on Cadia and stopping there. The fluff has since been retconned so now it's just about to happen along with all the other end of times stuff. GW did used to do a few global campaigns that affected the fluff, and it bums me out that they don't anymore. Apparently it's easy to spoof, and it's a lot of work for something that doesn't directly correlate into dollars. As for books focused around campaigns they did, Helsreach is for one of the wars of Armageddon and that book is pretty cool.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Chaos won on the ground but lost in BFG, it's not an awful extrapolation thogh it's clear the outcome was preset for stuff like ELdrad. Also yeah there was rumored to be rampant cheating by Chaos players when reporting results.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cream_Filling posted:

Chaos won on the ground but lost in BFG, it's not an awful extrapolation thogh it's clear the outcome was preset for stuff like ELdrad. Also yeah there was rumored to be rampant cheating by Chaos players when reporting results.

As one of the BFG players who helped save the Imperium, I was mighty glad to actually be relevant for a brief shining moment. Of course, nowadays GW won't even admit BFG ever existed, but hey, we saved the galaxy, drat it!

I'm pretty sure that had Order actually won out over all it would have been Ahriman who bit it instead of Eldraad. Arihman was the one taking the risky solo mission to the Black Library at the same time as Elfraad was doing his risky solo mission to the Blackstone Fortress, after all...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

IIRC the trick was to have both people use an IG army and then declare that whoever won the game was actually Chaos guard.

GW also hit the problem of there being proportionally way more Imperial players than anything else, but then one of the Chapters of Space Marines with the largest following basically took its ball and went home.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arquinsiel posted:

IIRC the trick was to have both people use an IG army and then declare that whoever won the game was actually Chaos guard.

GW also hit the problem of there being proportionally way more Imperial players than anything else, but then one of the Chapters of Space Marines with the largest following basically took its ball and went home.

Didn't the Ork players rebel at being in the forces of "evil" and just go out on their own little waaagh just for shits and giggles?

Or am i thinking of the last fantasy campaign?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arquinsiel posted:

one of the Chapters of Space Marines with the largest following basically took its ball and went home.

Which one was that?

e: Also, clearly the Guard trick is perfectly consistent with the lore. Chaos nudges two loyal IG regiments into turning on each other in a fit of madness and paranoia; whichever one survives has earned the honor of being fully adopted by the dark gods. :getin:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Didn't the Ork players rebel at being in the forces of "evil" and just go out on their own little waaagh just for shits and giggles?

That was Storm of Chaos campaign in fantasy, IIRC Orcs were neutral and could decide to submit votes in favor whoever they wished, so for trolling's sake they decided to gently caress Archaon, in the end they submitted mroe votes than the other two factions together, therefore deciding the campaign by themselves. This resulted in that hilarious ending where Archaon had Valten on his knees, in the climax of the battle, and out of nowhere Grimgor appeared, proceeded to beat Archaon, tea bagged him, and left.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JerryLee posted:

Which one was that?

e: Also, clearly the Guard trick is perfectly consistent with the lore. Chaos nudges two loyal IG regiments into turning on each other in a fit of madness and paranoia; whichever one survives has earned the honor of being fully adopted by the dark gods. :getin:
Dark Angels. They basically were handed a no brainer choice between defending the Imperium as a vague whole or defending their Chapter homeworld/flying fortress and took the option that GW didn't foresee.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

That was Storm of Chaos campaign in fantasy, IIRC Orcs were neutral and could decide to submit votes in favor whoever they wished, so for trolling's sake they decided to gently caress Archaon, in the end they submitted mroe votes than the other two factions together, therefore deciding the campaign by themselves. This resulted in that hilarious ending where Archaon had Valten on his knees, in the climax of the battle, and out of nowhere Grimgor appeared, proceeded to beat Archaon, tea bagged him, and left.

No they did it in the eye of terror as well - da green krusade!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Shockeh posted:

And the understatement of the year award goes to....

In addition to what Improbable Lobster wrote, also add Ridley Scott's Alien/Aliens, Tolkein, the usual array of Star Wars & Co. and a healthy dose of the other early miniatures companies like Ral Partha.

Star Wars and Star Trek are influences in the sense that they were something to react against and go in the complete opposite direction.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
That podcast is fuckin awesome

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

lenoon posted:

No they did it in the eye of terror as well - da green krusade!

I stand corrected then. In every time, in every place, Orks are awesome :orks101:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cythereal posted:

You say that as a joke, but that last bit actually happens in A Thousand Sons. One of the psyker-remembrancers notes that one of the unique luxuries on Prospero is that restaurant staff don't have to ask you for your order.

Somewhat :nsfw:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hTBAOnDQE:nsfw: (Everything is censored though)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Helicon One posted:

Star Wars and Star Trek are influences in the sense that they were something to react against and go in the complete opposite direction.

Also Star Wars is itself a tribute to Dune.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jadebullet posted:

Somewhat :nsfw:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hTBAOnDQE:nsfw: (Everything is censored though)

I like A Thousand Sons for the little touches. It even has the Heresy series' first openly gay couple, and they're both on the side of good and survive through the end of the story, complete with one of the two saving the day for the remembrancers fleeing the Thousand Sons and the coming of the Wolves.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I like A Thousand Sons for the little touches. It even has the Heresy series' first openly gay couple, and they're both on the side of good and survive through the end of the story, complete with one of the two saving the day for the remembrancers fleeing the Thousand Sons and the coming of the Wolves.

I missed it. Whose the space gay couple?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vigorous sodomy posted:

I missed it. Whose the space gay couple?

Don't have the book on hand to check names, but it's the remembrancer lady who can read the history of objects when she touches them with her bare skin. She's noted to be a lesbian when first introduced, though not by that explicit name, and on Prospero later she has a Prosperine noblewoman girlfriend. Don't remember if the girlfriend gets a name or not, but she saves the day for the remembrancers' escape with a telepathic mind trick on a suspicious guard.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The orks rebelled good. Originally GW wanted the Orks to ether fight the Tau for some completely arbitrary area of space that would mean nothing, or go and be part of chaos. Ork players basically said gently caress that and made their own little Waaghhh "Da Green Kroosade" which consisted of them trying to take over the Scarus sector (which they did, and no GW never really did anything with it).

JerryLee posted:

Which one was that?

Every single Dark Angel player basically took off to run for the DA homeworld Caliban (isn't King Arthurs world called Albion?). Which is really odd because the codex for the Dark Angels that was out at that time, said that Caliban was destroyed and the rock is the biggest chunk left.

The eye of terror was an awesome campaign, unfortunately the Order faction had too many problems soley in the fact that it had space marines. The space marine factions basically out screamed all the other order factions who pretty quickly realized they couldn't do a drat thing because there was 10x more space marine players than them.

Also Disorder figured out all the mechanics of the campaign really early on and was pretty organized. Order on the other hand basically fell apart and the entire forum became a monumental nightmare of screaming space marine players, which kind of ruined it.

Did the Tau ever do anything?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

UberJumper posted:

The eye of terror was an awesome campaign, unfortunately the Order faction had too many problems soley in the fact that it had space marines. The space marine factions basically out screamed all the other order factions who pretty quickly realized they couldn't do a drat thing because there was 10x more space marine players than them.

Also Disorder figured out all the mechanics of the campaign really early on and was pretty organized. Order on the other hand basically fell apart and the entire forum became a monumental nightmare of screaming space marine players, which kind of ruined it.

Again, this seems perfectly in line with the world that GW has created. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Didn't they then do a similar campaign when Cities of Death first came out? I remember that being a lot of fun, though my battle reports of my Tau army getting its rear end kicked by my friend's IG probably shouldn't have counted because we played pretty stupidly. (No points, no force org, no objectives most of the time, just his armored company against my poo poo ton of rail guns)

Nothing like having a blast trying to take him down by allying my Tau with my other friend's Templars, and another friend's Demonhunters and still getting our rear end kicked. (though like I said, it was still a blast)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What books cover the Isatvaan betrayals? I read 1 and 2 and than skipped to Legion and Thousand Sons.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

jadebullet posted:

Didn't they then do a similar campaign when Cities of Death first came out? I remember that being a lot of fun, though my battle reports of my Tau army getting its rear end kicked by my friend's IG probably shouldn't have counted because we played pretty stupidly. (No points, no force org, no objectives most of the time, just his armored company against my poo poo ton of rail guns)

Nothing like having a blast trying to take him down by allying my Tau with my other friend's Templars, and another friend's Demonhunters and still getting our rear end kicked. (though like I said, it was still a blast)

Sorta. The big thing about Ichar IV(That's what it was called?) and EoT was that it would move the story forward in the galaxy at large. Medusa V was basically a miniscule planet which was doomed no matter which way you sliced it.

I remember that Canada had their own mini campaign after Battle for Macregge box set came out. Imps vs Xenos. 4 week campaign with results totalled every week. Xenos won 3-1. Also, it introduced the deathleeper.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Waroduce posted:

What books cover the Isatvaan betrayals? I read 1 and 2 and than skipped to Legion and Thousand Sons.

Galaxy in Flames, Fulgrim, First Heretic

Flight of the Eisenstein also has a bit to do with it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Let's see if I got this right - when Argel Tal and pals are being shown the vision of the Emperor's lab in the First Heretic, they hear Horus' voice before being pulled from it. Is Horus in the middle of his post-Davin visions and they shared the same one?

I got to say that TFH-Aurelian-Betrayer is kind of my favorite line of books so far.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Yeah it's almost like a Word Bearers trilogy all on its own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With an optional detour to Ultrasmurfs land for Know No Fear.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How's Double Eagle for a fan of real-life warplanes? I've heard it described as "Battle of Britain 40k", and I really struggle to think of how a book about airplane combat would be written properly to make it engaging. :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azran posted:

How's Double Eagle for a fan of real-life warplanes? I've heard it described as "Battle of Britain 40k", and I really struggle to think of how a book about airplane combat would be written properly to make it engaging. :v:

It's about the pilots, duh.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

VanSandman posted:

It's about the pilots, duh.

Well yes, I kind of worded it poorly I suppose. Let me rephrase it - are there dogfights? Did he manage to make them entertaining? That's what I was getting at.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I like Double Eagle as much or more than pretty much all of the Gaunt's Ghosts books, and it's written in their spirit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Azran posted:

Let's see if I got this right - when Argel Tal and pals are being shown the vision of the Emperor's lab in the First Heretic, they hear Horus' voice before being pulled from it. Is Horus in the middle of his post-Davin visions and they shared the same one?

I got to say that TFH-Aurelian-Betrayer is kind of my favorite line of books so far.

It's implied that that what they are being shown are not quite visions but using the whole "time and distance don't matter" nature of the Warp to actually visit other places and times. So it's entirely possible that both parties were brought to the same site at roughly the same time.

Or shown the same false vista.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UberJumper posted:

The orks rebelled good. Originally GW wanted the Orks to ether fight the Tau for some completely arbitrary area of space that would mean nothing, or go and be part of chaos. Ork players basically said gently caress that and made their own little Waaghhh "Da Green Kroosade" which consisted of them trying to take over the Scarus sector (which they did, and no GW never really did anything with it).

Every single Dark Angel player basically took off to run for the DA homeworld Caliban (isn't King Arthurs world called Albion?). Which is really odd because the codex for the Dark Angels that was out at that time, said that Caliban was destroyed and the rock is the biggest chunk left.

Did the Tau ever do anything?

The Dark Angels were fighting over the scattered ruins of Caliban and making sure The Rock itself was safe, they never said that the planet was still around. (By the way Caliban is a character from "The Tempest", along with Prospero)

The Tau undertook the "Third Phase Expansion", which was later added into their main fluff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Azran posted:

Well yes, I kind of worded it poorly I suppose. Let me rephrase it - are there dogfights? Did he manage to make them entertaining? That's what I was getting at.

Oh there are several dogfights in that book and they're all pretty well written and executed.
Should almost reread that one again, been a while since last time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Azran posted:

Everything that happens in a good WWII plane movie happens in Double Eagle. It's a solid book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Everything that happens in a good WWII plane movie happens in Double Eagle. It's a solid book.

And viffing. Lots and lots of viffing.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
Lets talk Talon of Horus spoilers

Okay - the two primarchs thing (in reference to the talon) is extremely interesting. Who do you guys think it refers to? Missing legion? I think it might refer to Dorn. Having him go out against Abbadon is a much better fate than what the lore is currently written as.

Second - What do you guys think about the confirmation that the emperor is dying? It seems like GW usually dances around the issue but in this book they just straight up confirm that hes gonna be gone pretty soon.

The book was very interesting lore-wise. Cant wait to see what the sequels bring.

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

spootime posted:

Okay - the two primarchs thing (in reference to the talon) is extremely interesting. Who do you guys think it refers to? Missing legion? I think it might refer to Dorn. Having him go out against Abbadon is a much better fate than what the lore is currently written as.

Second - What do you guys think about the confirmation that the emperor is dying? It seems like GW usually dances around the issue but in this book they just straight up confirm that hes gonna be gone pretty soon.

The book was very interesting lore-wise. Cant wait to see what the sequels bring.

I sort of missed the two primarchs thing when reading I think I assumed it meant Horus Clone ? Does the mention come before or after?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spootime posted:

Those don't really need to be spoiled - both the Talon and the Throne failing have been mentioned before. I'm pretty sure he said that the Talon killed a primarch (Sanguinius) and wounded the Emperor.

As for the Emperor dying, that's been the story for a while. The short bit about the Golden Throne failing came out a couple of years ago. That being said though, this is the second time (that I'm aware of) that ADB has specifically written about the 41st millennium being the last, dark millennium. This can be taken two ways - either mankind will fall, or the Emperor will awaken, and his light will shine across the galaxy. Khayon does specifically state that it is the End Times, which is interesting, since Fantasy is using that phrasing for their big shakeup right now. Maybe 40K will do the same in a couple of years?

To be honest, GW could allow the Throne to fail and kill the Emperor - he could then be free to fight Chaos on their terms, and the Imperium could be thrown into the role of attacker to push back the Orks, Tyranids, etc. It really wouldn't change the storyline, other than not having a threat of mankind being on the verge of collapsing. Or they could play it off as the Emperor is dead, woe is the Imperium... until an explorator unit finds a very charismatic young man who claims to be the Emperor reincarnated. Then the race is on to get him back to Terra, blah blah blah.

At any rate, GW could do a few things to "advance" the storyline without upsetting the balance. We will see if that happens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Won't Terra get hosed almost immediately if the emperor dies? What with the portal to the warp and all.