Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Professor Clumsy posted:

The idea that people would be bored enough of Jurassic Park that they would need Jurassic World to happen is the most unbelievable thing about it.

Disney World builds new parks and rides all the time, and a roller coaster is at least as cool as a giant dinosaur you can see and touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling from one of the final shots where the raptors actually seem to be... running alongside Chris Pratt?

IN that case I hope this is a successor to Gremlins 2 where a Raptor puts on a monocle and top hat and explains what's going on to the kids in the audience.

You know what. Jurrasic Park was a spiritual sequel to Gremlins 2 only serious in tone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

Disney World builds new parks and rides all the time, and a roller coaster is at least as cool as a giant dinosaur you can see and touch
People get bored of the roller coasters at Disney World so they build a hybrid roller coaster that tries to kill everybody who rides it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Wesley Snipes in Blade is up there with Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton and RDJ for best lead performance in a superhero movie. Dude owns.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Jurassic World is a literal sequel to Jurassic Park 3.

Uh how is that even a commentary on anything

Where's your subtext

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

penismightier posted:

Where's your subtext

It's underneath my text.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Jurassic World is a sequel to my butthole, the subtext is the awesome bass when I rip a burrito fart in the theater bathroom.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

penismightier posted:

Where's your subtext

Aliens, Gremlins 2, and Jurassic Park have similar underlying themes of man and nature and control or weaponizing it and failing. Gremlins 2 is the only one where an attempt at dialog between the two parties was made but ended in bloodshed. Aliens was to nuke it and survive. Jurrasic Park was to respect it and let it be.

Prometheus is a meditation of how trying to understand it can lead to madness and disaster and not being satisfactory.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Jurassic World is a sequel to my butthole, the subtext is the awesome bass when I rip a burrito fart in the theater bathroom.

Look at Prince Philip over here going to the bathroom to fart.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Gatts posted:

Aliens, Gremlins 2, and Jurassic Park have similar underlying themes of man and nature and control or weaponizing it and failing. Gremlins 2 is the only one where an attempt at dialog between the two parties was made but ended in bloodshed. Aliens was to nuke it and survive. Jurrasic Park was to respect it and let it be.

Prometheus is a meditation of how trying to understand it can lead to madness and disaster and not being satisfactory.

So that's what's meant by "Jurassic World is a sequel to Jurassic Park 3," thanks. Thanks for that. Thanks. Good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Professor Clumsy posted:

Look at Prince Philip over here going to the bathroom to fart.

I'm conscientious.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I hope a dinosaur fights Jaws! Shared universe Spielberg is the way to go. Post credit scene can have Schindler and ET recruit a raptor to go save Private Ryan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Wesley Snipes in Blade is up there with Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton and RDJ for best lead performance in a superhero movie. Dude owns.

Blade feels like a movie from a world where the '80s never happened and the '70s ran headlong right into the '90s

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Blade feels like a movie from a world where the '80s never happened and the '70s ran headlong right into the '90s

Yeah. Yeah.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Holy poo poo.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is the good poo poo.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Woah. :golfclap:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dope.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this is better than the jurassic world trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80TI7gRAoFM

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*shoots post into the wall, fist-pumps*

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Also, follow-up to my desire to poo poo on a euroskeptic's desk:

Today the EU Parliament was discussing combating violence against women. When it was a UKIP parliamentarian's turn to talk for a couple minutes, she said that women in the UK get assaulted because of "criminal gangs from abroad" who take advantage of the EU's open borders to prey on new, unsuspecting victims.

Professor Clumsy, therattle, echoplex any other British goons: I hold you all personally responsible. Explain yourselves.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Today the EU Parliament was discussing combating violence against women. When it was a UKIP parliamentarian's turn to talk for a couple minutes, she said that women in the UK get assaulted because of "criminal gangs from abroad" who take advantage of the EU's open borders to prey on new, unsuspecting victims.

I'm sure I'll be blamed for this, all those open borders waiting for the taking

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Professor Clumsy posted:

Jurassic World is a literal sequel to Jurassic Park 3.

It's a sidequel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honest Thief posted:

this is better than the jurassic world trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80TI7gRAoFM

fan film idea:
Sonic is a getaway driver in a gaudy jacket that is obsessed with driving his blue muscle car as fast as possible. The only words he ever says are "gotta go fast".

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The subtext of Jurassic Park is that Jeff Goldblum was a very sexy man in his youth.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Professor Clumsy, therattle, echoplex any other British goons: I hold you all personally responsible. Explain yourselves.

That's pretty tame, considering UKIP partner in crime on the European Parliament is this guy:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/08/nigel-farage-ukip-europe-janusz-korwin-mikke

Janusz Korwin-Mikke posted:

Part of his distaste for modern Europe is driven by the position of women, who he says have replaced “privileges” with “equal rights”, a phrase Korwin-Mikke spat out as if it was an insult. Most want to stay at home to raise families, and can’t be trusted to vote, said the twice-married father of six. They are also, he claims, “less tall, less heavy, less intelligent, on the average”. And he adds: “Women usually vote for the more handsome man.”

Asked how German chancellor Angela Merkel had come to power in a country where women vote, he changed the topic to sports teams coached by men. “Women want to be led by men,” he claimed. They particularly like to be led to the bedroom, he added, saying that men should often ignore a partner who said no to sex. “Women usually pretend that they don’t want [sex]. You must be competent enough to differentiate whether she seriously doesn’t want,” he said. “The percentage of women who pretend that they don’t want to have sex, but they do want in fact, is about 30 or 40%.”

Asked how a rape trial could be prosecuted if a woman’s words were not accepted as evidence of her intentions, he said men should not be convicted unless there were two witnesses to the crime.

“If you don’t have two testimonies, he must be acquitted,” he said. “Or some proof or some visible sign of rape, but if it is only her words and his words, there cannot even be a trial.”

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Don't get me started on those fuckers.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Every country is stupid and poo poo in it's own special ways.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TrixRabbi posted:

The subtext of Jurassic Park is that Jeff Goldblum was a very sexy man in his youth.

"Was"??

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a sidequel.

It's a Squeakquel

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

It's a Squeakquel

Yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

100% would gently caress

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

I'm sure I'll be blamed for this, all those open borders waiting for the taking

I'm a foreigner residing in Germany so I'm probably responsible for all kinds of European problems in UKIP's eyes. I'm white though, so maybe not.

Electronico6 posted:

That's pretty tame, considering UKIP partner in crime on the European Parliament is this guy:

No yeah I know it's not the worst thing UKIP politicians have said by any stretch of the imagination but it was still jarring to hear an elected official spout that bullshit in the same room I was sitting in.

Professor Clumsy posted:

Don't get me started on those fuckers.

Right?

Noxville posted:

Every country is stupid and poo poo in it's own special ways.

I'm a US citizen. You don't need to tell me twice.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In cool news, I got to take a leadership role in a demonstration today, which included calling out some creepo plainclothes cops embedded in the crowd.

In not so cool news, the demonstration was organized by the Revolutionary Communist Party, who are like 80% wingnuts. They have a pretty constant presence in the area, and I'm compelled to show some support for them- united front and all that, and you kind of take what you can get when you're trying to organize labor- but I can't dismiss the fact that they supported the Shining Path and Stalin, and preached that homosexuality was an indulgent capitalist perversity into the 90s, and that Bob Avakian is a bigtime fuckboy.

Edit: fix the drat font size Lowtax

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That time Nigel Farage got in a plane crash was pretty dope.

Personally I think Britain would be a lot better off without all those stinking Anglo-Saxons walking around like they own the place when they can't even speak Common Brittonic. They should probably gently caress off home to Germany.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Voodoofly posted:

It is fictionalized, and it has a lot of controversy, but The Confessions of Nat Turner is still a good novel and reading the critiques of the novel is not the worst way to get a larger view of the actual man, the event and the significance of both.

Of course I haven't read anything else that was specific to Nat Turner as opposed to just more general history so take my rec with a grain of salt.

My honest answer is there is no way to fix our system.

My optimistic answer is that we do such a horrendous job of actually teaching people about how our system works that even just a tiny bit of education should have a sweeping change. I stand by my honest answer though.

Also, apropos of nothing, there is a strikingly beautiful woman outside my window right now singing a French nursery rhyme to her child as her child is waving at my dog staring at them both through the window.

Seconding the vote for the book. It's a well-written, powerful novel.

As for UKIP, Jesus tittyfucking Christ, they are appalling. They are the Southern racist fucks of the UK.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

That time Nigel Farage got in a plane crash was pretty dope.

That photo series is, like, my favourite thing.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Noxville posted:

That photo series is, like, my favourite thing.

I wish he'd died.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really was pretty optimistic about Jurassic World because I like the idea of a film taking place in a fully operational park but man that trailer just looked like garbage. The original already slightly annoyed me in how it sort of reduced it's scientific arguments to "man should not mess in God's nature's domain" and "God Nature chose Dinosaurs for extinction" but even then it was minor because the kernel of actual chaos theory based arguments were in there with the easy to digest BS. This on the other hand seems to be saying "okay it looks like man got the whole 'futility in trying to control nature' under control but things go too far when they continue mess in God's domain!" It's just pretty much ignoring all that the first movie said except for the dumbest part of it and to me that's annoying.

It also just seems lazy in the plot department. They set up a concept where the problems in the first are overcome and the new concept is them just seems to be an excuse to bypass that fact and get them in the same situation, except with more people being eaten. Like the Raptors in the original were already this super intelligent killing machine that did whatever would make for a more thrilling movie. It seems pointless to make a new dinosaur that's "even more dangerous and ever more intelligent" because really anything they're going to make this thing do they could have just made raptors do and no one would have blinked an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

penismightier posted:

Excited to hear all about how Jurassic World is a metacommentary satire on Jurassic Park, because the cinematic landscape just plain needs more dubiously satirical metacommentaries.

What if it's a straight-up celebration of corporate theme parks - threatened from outside by this new, 'terroristic' dinosaur?

• Locked thread