Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

No?

1080p content looks as expected on my Vizio P-Series 4k.

Well, that's just not true. A native signal is going to be processed better by a TV because it has to do less video processing. When I use my 720p TV with 1080i, and either of my two 1080p TVs with 720 or 1080i signals, I see a significant downgrade in handling busy patterns as well as additional artifacting. And these are a 2007 Westinghouse, a 2011 ST30 Panasonic plasma, and the current Vizio E-series, so I'm not basing it on a single TV, a timeframe or a display technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Recently bought a Samsung UN55HU7250 and am loving it for the most part... one issue though, when a movie or show has an entirely black screen (i.e. the time between credits at the beginning of Blade Runner) the screen literally turns off and then back on when the there is any non-black element on screen (i.e. the next credit has appeared). This is not much of an issue (as it's not particularly noticeable) when the room has lights on, but when the lights are off this is kind of annoying as there's definitely a visual pop-effect when the screen goes from mostly black with white credit to screen completely off and then popping back to mostly black with white credit.

Is this a "feature" and if so, how can I turn it off? I've been through the menus several times and can't figure out how to disable it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fremry posted:

Well, that's just not true. A native signal is going to be processed better by a TV because it has to do less video processing. When I use my 720p TV with 1080i, and either of my two 1080p TVs with 720 or 1080i signals, I see a significant downgrade in handling busy patterns as well as additional artifacting. And these are a 2007 Westinghouse, a 2011 ST30 Panasonic plasma, and the current Vizio E-series, so I'm not basing it on a single TV, a timeframe or a display technology.

I'm sure it looks better on a native 1080p set but it's not game-breaking my any means.

If you're that concerned take a laptop that can output a 4k signal to Bestbuy/Walmart/Costco and test it yourself.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Fremry posted:

Well of course there would be an issue when it's non native upscaling, but you can just quadruple all pixels on a 1080p signal and show it on a 4k screen without additional scaling algorithms. The other signals we dealt with before (especially that stupid relic of crt 1080i) were imperfect pixel ratios that makes for blurry messes. That doesn't stop most tv makers from over processing the poo poo out of the signal though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Next-Gen posted:

Well of course there would be an issue when it's non native upscaling, but you can just quadruple all pixels on a 1080p signal and show it on a 4k screen without additional scaling algorithms. The other signals we dealt with before (especially that stupid relic of crt 1080i) were imperfect pixel ratios that makes for blurry messes. That doesn't stop most tv makers from over processing the poo poo out of the signal though.

Vizio is the only one that does this and i think its only when using hdmi 5 in 120hz game mode or some poo poo from a pc

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know if the 4k Blu ray players will have downscaled 1080p 1.4 outputs for us that don't have HDCP 2.2 so we can at least take advantage of the 4.4.4 color? I'm not going to drop money for another projector any time soon.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Anyone know if the 4k Blu ray players will have downscaled 1080p 1.4 outputs for us that don't have HDCP 2.2 so we can at least take advantage of the 4.4.4 color? I'm not going to drop money for another projector any time soon.

I'm not sure I understand, blu-ray only uses 4:2:0 chroma. HDMI 2.0 itself is backwards compatible and I believe the 4k bluray set tops are as well, so they should still work fine on a device with the older hdmi ports. I wouldn't think they would be worth the extra upcharge over a decent 1080p bluray box, if you aren't planning on getting a 4k display for a long while.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So does sub-4k content look worse on a 4k tv than it would on a regular HDTV?

I'm looking for a display no larger than 60" to be used for movies, general computer use, tv, and non-competitive gaming.
Is there a specific reason not to go with something like the Vizio P series? Most of my content is regular HD but it'd be nice to have 4k as it'll double as a large computer monitor/workstation.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I have a Smart Samsung why can't I track it when it gets stolen?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So does sub-4k content look worse on a 4k tv than it would on a regular HDTV?

I'm looking for a display no larger than 60" to be used for movies, general computer use, tv, and non-competitive gaming.
Is there a specific reason not to go with something like the Vizio P series? Most of my content is regular HD but it'd be nice to have 4k as it'll double as a large computer monitor/workstation.

It can, you can get artifacts from upscaling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

55" LG 55EC9300 1080p Smart 3D Curved OLED HDTV $2000 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/7733505-55-lg-55ec9300-1080p-smart-3d-curved-oled-hdtv-1999-99-with-free-shipping-currently-2999-at-amazon

lol @ curve though

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

Welp. I guess the followup question is what is the best <60" TV for computer/television/gaming/everything use?
Don't care about smart features or 3d.
Do care about refresh rates, picture, and attractive design/a thin bezel.
Don't want to spend more than 1500 but I'm sure I could get something for way less?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The tv posted above you is the best 1080p tv under 60". Period.

The curve is gentle at that size anyways. And at the edges it's as thin as an iPhone.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Welp. I guess the followup question is what is the best <60" TV for computer/television/gaming/everything use?
Don't care about smart features or 3d.
Do care about refresh rates, picture, and attractive design/a thin bezel.
Don't want to spend more than 1500 but I'm sure I could get something for way less?

Also: I'm not interested in a curved TV.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Vizio E or M series is your best bet. M series is going to be a more attractive TV, but the E series has a thin bezel as well.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Samsung: h7100/h7150 series or the brand new ju7100 sets (these don't have sale prices yet so are probably over 1500)
Sony: w950b, their new sets haven't come out
Vizio: M or P series depending on how much you want 240hz over 120hz
LG: that oled panel is tits but over 1500, and I don't like LG's (non-oled) screen uniformity issues on their current sets.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 19, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I kind of get the hate for a curved TV set, but OLED technology (amazing viewing angles) and the curve of that tv. It's not really noticeable in my experience.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
I'm now in the market for something between 32" and low 40's due to limited space and close viewing distance (6"~ 185cm or so). I'm planning on doing an upgrade for an old 720p 32" sharp LCD, which was top of the line then but I want 1080p.

3 days of researching while slacking at work I've noticed the 40-42" range is kind of a quality and technical dead zone. Pretty frustrating, looking at A/V sites and reviews of must-have TV's, top 5 lists and all are pretty much all 50"+ range sets. A few options, all flawed in some way, inconsistent reviews. I just wish there was a 400-600 dollar 40"-ish TV that spent all that 400-600 dollars only on picture technology, refresh rate and input lag. Not smart TV stuff (can get a Roku 3 which I read is better), not 3D, not 4k

Something that's odd is this TV, only one review (despite similar models by Vizio having hundreds), and a warning about inventory

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E43-C2-43-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBFP2W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426788197&sr=8-3&keywords=vizio+42

So far what I've made of the messy reviews:

Vizio E series has problems, Wirecutter blog says hold off, rating dropped to 4.0 on Amazon

Vizio M series 42" is top pick by CNET, consumer reports though says its below the others in motion and accuracy tests

CNET didn't rank the Samsungs as highly, but Consumer reports puts them at top

A lot of people say just get a Roku 3 instead of needing smartTV internally, but few say why.

Basket of Kittens fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 19, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Basket of Kittens posted:

A lot of people say just get a Roku 3 instead of needing smartTV internally, but few say why.

Smart TV interfaces still aren't as good as an extra box. My Samsung has one of the better ones, but its still buggier than using my 360 or HTPC. I'd say the argument is more that you shouldn't buy a TV for its smart capability because a Roku/Fire/etc will probably be better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The CPU resources dedicated to onboard Smart features are usually so limited that it makes the whole user experience slow and clunky.

I mean once you get the video started, it's typically fine. But getting there is a not-fun process and they're also generally not as well supported over time as standalone products.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Samsung 6350 model has been on sale quite a bit. It has smart features and USB playback etc. Although not ideal it's definitely much more usable than older smart TVs. Has plex, Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

We use a 6350's smart features everyday in our bonus room. The built in ota guide and apps work very well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Once again, just ignore smart features and focus on the TV.

Smart features are a near zero cost add and virtually no TV manufacturer and smart and non-smart versions of the same TV. The Smart ones will be further up the ladder and nearly always have better features outside the Smart stuff.

I personally wouldn't buy a Roku 3 right now either. It's been out for 2 years now and will almost surely be replaced in a few months. Not much else beats a Chromecast at this point for sheer utility. Runner up would be a fireTV stick if you are more invested in the Amazon media ecosystem than Google.

I really wish Roku could run Play Music along with its Play Video support, because then it would finally have the crown of one media player to rule them all.

I will say that the smart apps on my Sony TV are decent if a bit limited.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The fire stick is pretty great. Yeah they're fire selling the roku 3 so a new one is due out soon surely. Seems like the fire TV stick is maybe a bit better than the chrome but just imo

Smart TVS features aside the 6350 has great specs and is cheap because 2014 model

Anyone have experience with those android TV boxes or whatever?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I cannot get the Netflix app on my FireStick to work worth a dick... so.. beware of that. And a lot of people have the same problem. It constantly buffers every couple of minutes and a lot of the times just straight out says it loses it's connection.

Every other streaming app on it works fine. It's just Netflix (for me).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Yeah, I got a Fire Stick when they were promotional for $20, and I don't feel like I completely wasted the money, but I'm planning on getting a Roku to replace it. It just isn't stable enough for me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone have experience with those android TV boxes or whatever?

If you want to play emulators and android poo poo or use an hdhomerun then get an androidtv. if you want internet streaming poo poo get a roku 3

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AndroidTV is a complete and utter shitheap right now from a streaming perspective.

Netflix doesn't even have 5.1 audio. Stereo only for Google's flagship streaming solution. It's an utter joke.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

You just happened to find the brand new 2015 version of the vizio e series, which is why it has no reviews yet. the 2014 models have a b in them after the dash. The only change appears to be 1" bigger and possibly 120hz refresh rate on them.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
Gentlemen.

For reference, I've enjoyed my 2.5 year old 55" 6150 series Samsung, but last week it poo poo the wall after a series of power outages and now I'm looking for a replacement.

For my budget I've narrowed it down to the 55" Samsung 6350 series or the 60" Sony W850B. I came to these two (heh) mostly based on rtings.com's reviews. The Sony gets one less star on Amazon due to crummy 3D performance which I don't really care about because all I do is watch TNG and play Metal Gear. I'm leaning towards the Sony for hopefully better reliability, but because I'm a cheapskate and because I'll also be buying an extended warranty no matter what I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $300 cost (bestbuy has the 6350 for $900, everyone has the W850B for $1200).

Couple questions. How is Sony's GUI? Is it good looking and responsive? I could give a dry poo poo about any "smart" features, cuz I've got consoles and whatever else that all do a better job, but a responsive setup menu is important because I'm always loving with that. Also, does the Sony have a button on the remote to directly select between view mode presets? 'Cuz on my old Samsung I'd have to navigate the menu with a half dozen button presses just to swap between the presets I tuned for low light, lights off or daytime. Best Buy "couldn't find" the remotes for either TV last time I went.

Thanks

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Doesn't the 6350 have a 60" option?

I know you mentioned budget but that poo poo is always on sale. Honestly it seems like these days smart is standard

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Doesn't the 6350 have a 60" option?

I know you mentioned budget but that poo poo is always on sale. Honestly it seems like these days smart is standard

It does, I believe. It's more that the Sony does Not have a 55" in the 850. Honestly from my viewing distance 55" is more than enough, 60" is just what I'd have to get if I wanted the slightly more decent Sony. And as far as smart poo poo is concerned I just don't know whether any performance benefits of a "good smart-TV" translate to any features other than "smart" ones re: set-up GUI responsiveness

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

AndroidTV is a complete and utter shitheap right now from a streaming perspective.

Netflix doesn't even have 5.1 audio. Stereo only for Google's flagship streaming solution. It's an utter joke.
You've complained about this a couple of times now in various threads but it's the Netflix application that doesn't support it as opposed to the device itself. I'm guessing it's the same thing that runs on phones and they didn't anticipate more than two speakers, as opposed to the ground-up software they made for the Chromecast. I can't imagine there's a big enough group of people who have both the Nexus Player and a 5.1 system for Netflix to care at this point.

If you use Google's movie service on Google's "flagship streaming solution" it will have 5.1 audio. Not that this helps you any.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/bttWxRd8PVw

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

piercedbronson posted:

Gentlemen.

For reference, I've enjoyed my 2.5 year old 55" 6150 series Samsung, but last week it poo poo the wall after a series of power outages and now I'm looking for a replacement.

For my budget I've narrowed it down to the 55" Samsung 6350 series or the 60" Sony W850B. I came to these two (heh) mostly based on rtings.com's reviews. The Sony gets one less star on Amazon due to crummy 3D performance which I don't really care about because all I do is watch TNG and play Metal Gear. I'm leaning towards the Sony for hopefully better reliability, but because I'm a cheapskate and because I'll also be buying an extended warranty no matter what I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $300 cost (bestbuy has the 6350 for $900, everyone has the W850B for $1200).

Couple questions. How is Sony's GUI? Is it good looking and responsive? I could give a dry poo poo about any "smart" features, cuz I've got consoles and whatever else that all do a better job, but a responsive setup menu is important because I'm always loving with that. Also, does the Sony have a button on the remote to directly select between view mode presets? 'Cuz on my old Samsung I'd have to navigate the menu with a half dozen button presses just to swap between the presets I tuned for low light, lights off or daytime. Best Buy "couldn't find" the remotes for either TV last time I went.

Thanks

If you dont mind openbox check hhgregg. The ones around here all have 60 w850b's around the $800-900 mark

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!
Since I'm not aware of any 4k displays having 4:4:4 chroma, does it honestly mean anything if the TV is 4:2:2 subsampling? How much of a loss in quality or gamut is there? This will be for TV applications only and not being used for text.

Tytanium fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 20, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

You've complained about this a couple of times now in various threads but it's the Netflix application that doesn't support it as opposed to the device itself. I'm guessing it's the same thing that runs on phones and they didn't anticipate more than two speakers, as opposed to the ground-up software they made for the Chromecast. I can't imagine there's a big enough group of people who have both the Nexus Player and a 5.1 system for Netflix to care at this point.

If you use Google's movie service on Google's "flagship streaming solution" it will have 5.1 audio. Not that this helps you any.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/bttWxRd8PVw

It doesn't matter. The Netflix app has been around since GoogleTV and apparently google has never prodded Netflix about it.

Google cannot operate in a vacuum. Someone in the AndroidTV department needs to pick up a loving phone and call Netflix and say "Hey, we are two gigantic companies, you think we could work together to get this basic feature set down?"

Again, Google needs to stop walking into a room with shiny things, tossing them up in the air, and yelling "CATCH" before diving headfirst out the nearest window.

Beyond that, casting doesn't even work loving properly on the Nexus Player. One of the supposed perks of AndroidTV is backward compatibility with Chromecast for apps that just support casting. But it's broken, it doesn't work for a good chunk of A list apps. That falls squarely on Google's shoulders for not properly emulating a Chromecast in their own software.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Like I said, 5.1 sound is probably low on their priority list since it doesn't matter for the (out of my rear end) 90% of people who don't have more than stereo speakers. In their own forums said to contact Netflix. Did you try that? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a simple fix they could get out fairly soon.

An idiot I work with has one and loves it. The only complaint I've heard from him is that he can't cast from it to a Chromecast, which I'm not even sure why anyone would want to do. Does casting not work at all on yours?

I don't want to defend the device and certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone buy it, but you seem really angry about a nonessential feature not being supported in a 3rd-party application.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Tytanium posted:

Since I'm not aware of any 4k displays having 4:4:4 chroma, does it honestly mean anything if the TV is 4:2:2 subsampling? How much of a loss in quality or gamut is there? This will be for TV applications only and not being used for text.

Existentially speaking, that poo poo doesn't matter. I bet if you had a 4:4:4 to compare against, without a magnifying glass you'd struggle to tell the difference or at least not be bothered by the fact you didn't wait 5 years for them to roll out. fwiw my buddy's 4K Black-Friday-Deal Samsung looks really excellent with the right source material, the overwhelming majority of which is still heavily compressed for streaming btw....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

Like I said, 5.1 sound is probably low on their priority list since it doesn't matter for the (out of my rear end) 90% of people who don't have more than stereo speakers. In their own forums said to contact Netflix. Did you try that? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a simple fix they could get out fairly soon.

An idiot I work with has one and loves it. The only complaint I've heard from him is that he can't cast from it to a Chromecast, which I'm not even sure why anyone would want to do. Does casting not work at all on yours?

I don't want to defend the device and certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone buy it, but you seem really angry about a nonessential feature not being supported in a 3rd-party application.

Netflix has been contacted about it. They said that it's not on their current todo list.

Vudu doesn't work on it for casting and Vudu has stated they have no intention of supporting it. Flixster also doesn't work on it. Those are two of the largest apps for UV out there.

I'm angry about it because the whole streamer is ill thought out and does literally everything related to streaming worse than a Chromecast for triple the price. This even includes Google's native apps. Play Movies has (documented) frame rate issues and the Play Music interface is terrible (the currently playing screen has zero information about what's currently playing other than showing artist art and the remote doesn't really offer direct control of playback, navigation stacks to the point where if you want to get back to the main music screen you are endlessly hitting the back button). You also can't turn off autoplay on the Youtube app which is beyond annoying.

Nexus Player was literally the worst electronics purchase I've made in the past 5 years. I ended up returning it on the 13th day of the 14 day return window because there's been zero development on it since it launched in December. As far as I'm concerned, it's 2014's Nexus Q and a dead platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande

Next-Gen posted:

You just happened to find the brand new 2015 version of the vizio e series, which is why it has no reviews yet. the 2014 models have a b in them after the dash. The only change appears to be 1" bigger and possibly 120hz refresh rate on them.

Ah, only to make it more confusing. Now I have the M-series 2014 model which I want the most, but the newer 2015 E-series. The 2015 M-series appears to be a 4k though. It's hard to tell whether or not a year's change in model makes it better than an older M-line

M-series 2015 manual out:
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/m43c1/um-m43c1.pdf