Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

All this talk about show-only storylines, how has no one mentioned Ros?

Remember Ros? That was pretty awful.

Ros was an interesting idea, it gave the tv watcher a neat way to tie all these disparate characters together while being a quasi social climber. Then they abruptly ended that and killed her.

I liked the conversation Littlefinger gave her that was chilling as hell. But yeah, mostly a misfire there .

Wasn't GRRM so impressed with her character he said he was planning on writing her into the books? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

Wasn't GRRM so impressed with her character he said he was planning on writing her into the books? Lol

Think so. He also said that he may expand Osha's role in the books as HBO inspired him and that the show would never ever ever ever ever ever in million years ever affect how he writes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wasn't as bothered about Ros on my recent re-watch. She must be a lot more insufferable when you're dying to get to the Red Wedding fireworks factory.

Edit: It's a lot of fun watching my fiancee on the re-watch now, completely abandoned any love of Robb and Robbwife, just shakes her head at every single scene of his after meeting her. "JUST KEEP HER ON THE DL YOU GODDAMN IDIOT"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"I like this character, I might add her into the books." (Show kills her off)
"I like how the show developed this character, I might expand on her in the books." (MIA since Season 2)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

who?

e: this is not a joke post I actually do not know what Ros is and I watched the show

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like writing these books (hasn't published a complete one since the year 2000).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

who?

e: this is not a joke post I actually do not know what Ros is and I watched the show

"Play with her arse."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Red headed whore that Theon banged with a flaccid dong that somehow ended up in King's Landing. She worked for Baelish until Joffery made her into a pincushion.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

Ros was loving terrible but I actually found her death both shocking and disturbing. I was a show-watcher for a brief and fleeting moment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lycus posted:

"Play with her arse."

Okay I just read some wiki about her, didn't a character like her exist in the book? I don't think she had a name but wasn't there someone who Cersei thought was Shae? I literally don't remember this character being significant at all in the show and would have guessed she was cast as "prostitute 3" or something. I guess I didn't pay that much attention in S2.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
There is some red-headed whore in North in the books (can't remember if her name is actually Ros), she is a very minor character with no role in the story.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

As much as I'd prefer to get the ending via the books, even if they're all ADWD level crap, this is the perfect punishment for GRRM and I very much look forward to him getting saltier and saltier as the seasons slip by.

Edit: I'm enjoying watching people hang their hats on the "Well HBO said it could be 10 seasons" thing. Even if we're just going by averages and accept that Le Fucker Absolutament isn't going to fret over his ending more than anything that's come before, he's still not going to beat them. And ironically, in the time between the show debuting and now showrunners have really strengthened their hands for fighting against artificial series stretching thanks to things like Breaking Bad and Lost.

I'd be willing to bet they pad a little bit to try to give him time as this is sort of a "get it done right now or get hosed forever" situation. Either that or the show is going to abandon a poo poo load of plot lines in the end and we're going to have to read book 7 to get closure on a lot of stuff

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kcroy posted:

If not then, in the HBO series... I have heard she will have a small character cameo, but that it will secretly reveal she isn't the original Miley.

I know this is just creepypasta, but I have had this uncomfortable feeling of dread in my chest all day since I saw this. I think the other side-rumors of sex abuse at Disney in the OP of that screenshot really put me over the edge. Especially with all the news about how extensively the UK government has been covering up basically all of their celebrities and Important People raping and killing kids for years, I think my gut was all too ready to believe this, even if my brain knows better.

Also, can someone explain the Andrew W.K. thing to me? Going off the wiki, it seems like AWK is a character created by a group of people but the actor playing him isn't allowed to say so? And for a period of time a different actor replaced him and someone else was mad about it? The wiki and cited articles make it seem so enigmatic, but when I boil it down it sounds kinda boring. I did always think it was odd he went from being sorta-buff when Party Hard came out to being this skinny dude.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If they're finishing Dance up this season, I don't think they're gonna pad for Gurm at all, and you're gonna have to wait for the books if you want to find out what happens with Aegon, Stone heart, Victarion or the beloved Penny.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

kcroy posted:

If not then, in the HBO series... I have heard she will have a small character cameo, but that it will secretly reveal she isn't the original Miley.

haha what the gently caress is this. I know that the entertainment industry and Disney in particular has done a lot of shady poo poo with casting couch stuff but how do you go from believing that to believing in loving plastic surgery body doubles to cover up murder?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 24, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

As much as I'd prefer to get the ending via the books, even if they're all ADWD level crap, this is the perfect punishment for GRRM and I very much look forward to him getting saltier and saltier as the seasons slip by.

Yeah its gonna be pretty sweet. And besides, its not like an extra 3 seasons would make any difference, right? Assuming he doesn't die, this is the time line I would expect. I see this as the MOST optimistic timeline possible:

TWOW: 2017 / Whenever HBO series ends. Age: 68
Book 7: 2023 Age: 74
Book 8: 2029 Age 80

Once HBO series is done, he will slump into a major depression and focus on his side projects galore even more than he does now.

edit: There will be SOME book shipped before the end of the HBO series ( or in conjunction with it ) ... even if it is a half finished piece of crap. I have serious doubts about his ability to put out Book 7. Add in some likely health issues, a joint replacement or three, that double bypass, and whatnot, and I just don't know if book 7 will happen. I don't think ( especially with having to rush out book 6 ), that book 7 can possibly be the end to the series. Unless they just use the GOT ending, and kill off every other plotline. Then they could poo poo that out right quick. Expect that to happen if GRRM dies anywhere along the way.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 24, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Disney in particular has done a lot of shady poo poo with casting couch stuff

That is horrifying considering all their child actors. Reminds me of the Godfather. Is there proof of any of that stuff, or just industry rumours?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

haha what the gently caress is this. I know that the entertainment industry and Disney in particular has done a lot of shady poo poo with casting couch stuff but how do you go from believing that to believing in loving plastic surgery body doubles to cover up murder?

Have you ever heard of the conspiracy theory that Paul McCartney died in 1966 and was replaced by a body double? It was pretty popular and there are still youtube loons who are convinced Paul is now Faul* despite the fact that Faul would now have been playing Paul for longer than the real Paul was alive.

*McBlackfyre

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I just read some wiki about her, didn't a character like her exist in the book? I don't think she had a name but wasn't there someone who Cersei thought was Shae? I literally don't remember this character being significant at all in the show and would have guessed she was cast as "prostitute 3" or something. I guess I didn't pay that much attention in S2.

Yep

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is also optimistically predicting that he won't split any of the last books.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is also optimistically predicting that he won't split any of the last books.

The Green Mile was critically acclaimed right?

Roger Ebert posted:

I appreciated the extra time, which allows us to feel the passage of prison months and years.

Sounds about right.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

I'm going to pretend that Taylor Swift started that conspiracy theory since she apparently does go on 4chan.

Well like Gerstmann said, sometimes you just need the internet raw.

*edit* Oh boy, here we go again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-RiqaK8n0

Arbite fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 24, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Im pretty sure its not a conspiracy and he really is trying to write books, its just that he is old and doesnt give as much of a poo poo as he did 20 years ago and the reality that nothing that he writes could ever come close to bringing in the kind of cultural relevance and success the show has brought in. So he does kind of still want to finish it but he is fat and lazy and the "reasoning" part of his brain tells him to just revel in it all as much as possible while it lasts and only work when he absolutely has to.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, can someone explain the Andrew W.K. thing to me? Going off the wiki, it seems like AWK is a character created by a group of people but the actor playing him isn't allowed to say so? And for a period of time a different actor replaced him and someone else was mad about it? The wiki and cited articles make it seem so enigmatic, but when I boil it down it sounds kinda boring. I did always think it was odd he went from being sorta-buff when Party Hard came out to being this skinny dude.

I think what it comes down is just legal wrangling between WK and his his old record company over various rights. The thing is, WK hasn't made any attempt to play down these rumours, and has even helped spread them. The idea of there having been more than one Andrew WK is ridiculous.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What is it about these books that make people absolutely insane.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Too bad the show has...a less than stellar record on inventing material.
So does Martin.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Junkenstein posted:

I think what it comes down is just legal wrangling between WK and his his old record company over various rights. The thing is, WK hasn't made any attempt to play down these rumours, and has even helped spread them. The idea of there having been more than one Andrew WK is ridiculous.

But there is proof, maaaaan!!! http://archersguild.blogspot.com/2011/03/andrew-wk-and-steev-mike-conspiracy.html

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Pro comments on that article.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...e-10127324.html

Some hard hitting "news" that you all probably saw already. I'm gonna call this the Gurm Squirm.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jokes on them, they're going to catch poo poo dick from him and not finish the show either.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Show watchers have been putting up with book readers spoiling stuff for years, now they're gonna get revenge.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

a spoiler nightmare!!!

ps dany invades westeros with dragons and the others tear down the wall and a bunch of people die and its like there is ice and fire stuff

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PDP-1 posted:

Show watchers have been putting up with book readers spoiling stuff for years, now they're gonna get revenge.

At the time I told them they were giant privileged gaywad babies for demanding the rest of the world pretend like the books don't exist so they could enjoy a TV show AND post on the internet, abandon one or the other. I am a Stannis man so I proudly stand up and tell everyone reading the books not to be giant gaywad babies who pretend the TV show doesn't exist and to log off the loving internet if it's so drat important to stay completely unspoiled.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Monster, you know they're going to log off the internet forever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

each day is a struggle to cling to life as I have been sentenced to battle the demon of spoilers for books that will never exist for as long as I live

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
http://watchersonthewall.com/a-scientific-guess-at-george-r-r-martins-progress-on-the-winds-of-winter

This is actually some good analysis

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Real talk: one of the only things on this forum to actually exasperate me was being in a GOT TV thread and having multiple people argue that the entire forum was doing them major harm because there was speculation discussion going on that MAY or MAY NOT have anything to do with the books. It wasn't even someone going in and saying "here's a spoiler from the books for ya!" it was them crying because people who weren't as hardcore spoiler averse as them were speculating and someone somewhere might say "nah that doesn't happen in the books" and then all speculation anywhere would be RIFE WITH SPOILERS.

All that just because they are too loving lazy to read a book, too weak willed to stay away from the internet and too hosed up to realize that telling everyone how gay they are wouldn't magically make the internet a place where the books stopped existing.

And I am absolutely convinced that before this battle is through someone who only reads the books is going to surpass their terribleness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spoiler, Dany meets Aegon and they fall in love and settle down and have kids and start a New Valyrian Empire while half of Westeros' population dies in the ongoing civil war and the remaining half to the Others/winter. Years later the Summer islanders colonize Westeros and enslave the few remaining white people.

The End

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

eXXon posted:

Spoiler, Dany meets Aegon and they fall in love and settle down and have kids and start a New Valyrian Empire while half of Westeros' population dies in the ongoing civil war and the remaining half to the Others/winter. Years later the Summer islanders colonize Westeros and enslave the few remaining white people.

The End

You're saying this series is gonna have a happy ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

I'm sure this is good stuff...but within the first two paragraphs he seems to have not acknowledged that "I'll go to these conventions if I finish the book first" was a really really obvious joke by GRRM.

Edit: Okay, the rest looks legit.

Edit2: For TLDR's

quote:

Here’s what I’ll call the Super Pessimistic Prediction: If The Winds of Winter will be 1500 manuscript pages and George was at 375 manuscript pages, and he keeps his 204 new manuscript pages/year pace for 2012 going, we can suppose that George currently has ~783 manuscript pages of The Winds of Winter currently complete with an expected completion date of early-to-mid 2019

At the very height of optimism, George R.R. Martin would be able to write at his incredible 632 manuscript pages/year pace, but absolutely no one, including George, believes that this is happening or will happen. So, here’s the height of optimism data point: If George was able to write at his 2010 height and complete 374 new manuscript pages, he’d be at ~1200 total finalized manuscript pages by March 2015 with an expected completion date of around January-February 2016

In the end he says if he was forced to make a guess, he'd guess late 2016/early 2017.

Thankfully we all know better, that the book will never come out and we will have to wait for the white people enslavement ending on HBO.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2015