Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lycus posted:

You're saying this series is gonna have a happy ending?

Everyone on Westeros dying or being enslaved is a happy ending?

Oh right, Littlefinger and Varys get away, but Sansa gets mauled and eaten by Arya's direwolf and Little ringer has to settle for marrying Arya instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure this is good stuff...but within the first two paragraphs he seems to have not acknowledged that "I'll go to these conventions if I finish the book first" was a really really obvious joke by GRRM.

I like how most people just assume he is using the two weeks he's opened up skipping the cons to write TWOW. Sweet summer children.

Damned grammar.

Woodpile fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 25, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I like how most people just assume he is using the two weeks he's opened up skipping the cons are going to be used to write TWOW. Sweet summer children.

I can see how that implies that he's writing but there's a fort knox full of things that imply he's writing and he's not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Even IF Winds of Winter comes out in mid 2016 that means that Season 6 will be finished. Which means the TV got the plot points first. And then there's a Dream of Spring which... hah. hahahah

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I will get through my entire 5-year contract with the military before GRRM publishes another loving novel in this series.

Maybe even a re-up, too.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Ros was an interesting idea, it gave the tv watcher a neat way to tie all these disparate characters together while being a quasi social climber. Then they abruptly ended that and killed her.

I liked the conversation Littlefinger gave her that was chilling as hell. But yeah, mostly a misfire there .

Wasn't GRRM so impressed with her character he said he was planning on writing her into the books? Lol

I remember watching that Ros/Littlefinger scene and wondering what the gently caress was going on, because it was early in season 2 and Aiden Gillen had just changed his accent for no reason. And then they did one of those "Inside the episode" clips, and David Benioff said something like "Yeah Littlefinger is really clever and pleasant, but we felt like we had to remind everybody that he's really just a pimp, so we had him threaten this whore because that's what pimps do."

This was after the really dumb "Littlefinger threatens Cersei in public for no reason" scene but before the really dumb "Littlefinger hits on Catelyn in a tent with her husbands bones in it" scene.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

All that just because they are too loving lazy to read a book,

I'd really like to know how many words the TV threads are up to now and compare that to the number of words in AsoIaF up to this point.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have a bold new Game of Thrones theory for you. It's pretty widely accepted that the main story of Starks v Lannisters was based of the War of the Roses with the Yorks v Lancasters. Following the end of this war, Henry VII and then Henry VIII took to the throne of England. Henry VIII is of course most famous for having six wives, and their fates are listed in a rhyme of "Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived".

Six wives of Henry VIII - six Stark children with their wolves. Coincidence? Well, Grey Wind and Lady were both beheaded, and Nymeria has been separated or "divorced" from Arya since the first book. It all seems pretty clear to me.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The books are like two times the size of regular books, so they take a while to write you see.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, and it's not a linear relationship either. Everyone knows that each page past 'normal book' length takes exponentially more time to write.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Even with the dragons as a convenient plot shortcut ("everything gets burned / eaten, The End"), it's hard to see how he can wrap up all of the existing plot lines in two more books without it seeming even more contrived than it otherwise would as a work of fantasy fiction.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
words are wind you guys.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

And yet the whole problem is Winds' lack of words.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
words aren't (in) winds you guys.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Even with the dragons as a convenient plot shortcut ("everything gets burned / eaten, The End"), it's hard to see how he can wrap up all of the existing plot lines in two more books without it seeming even more contrived than it otherwise would as a work of fantasy fiction.

There's only like 3-4 people in Essos that people care about and 3 of them are in the same general vicinity (Slaver's Bay), so they can head back fairly easily. In Westeros you have most people either in the King's Landing area (including Aegon) or between Winterfell and the Wall. The rest of them are plot exposition POVs (Bran, Sam) or are quickly going to have their conflicts resolved (Jaime).

It's pretty easy to only have two general locations at the end of Book 6, and that's without considering that the Wall is probably coming down anyway.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure its a 8 book minimum to do it right, but well... GRRM would be like 80 at that point, and people really hit a wall around then. Mental faculties often slip, etc. I just don't think he can do it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah just imagine if he got senile and did something like forget to put a climax into a book or spend a whole page describing a character making GBS threads on stuff because she ate shitberries

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Potooweet posted:

I remember watching that Ros/Littlefinger scene and wondering what the gently caress was going on, because it was early in season 2 and Aiden Gillen had just changed his accent for no reason. And then they did one of those "Inside the episode" clips, and David Benioff said something like "Yeah Littlefinger is really clever and pleasant, but we felt like we had to remind everybody that he's really just a pimp, so we had him threaten this whore because that's what pimps do."

This was after the really dumb "Littlefinger threatens Cersei in public for no reason" scene but before the really dumb "Littlefinger hits on Catelyn in a tent with her husbands bones in it" scene.

God they did a poor job with Littlefinger. Most viewers probably didn't even notice the Jon Arryn reveal in the Eyrie, too. He's just some creep that's really into Sansa.

I'm not looking forward to their original writing in the next few seasons, but at least we'll get an ending.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

That might be kind of interesting actually. I could imagine him abandoning traditional plotting altogether, while at the same time getting lost in detail, rambling and allusive, resulting in a kind of Gravity's Rainbow of pulpy fantasy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd be really impressed with any show-only person remembering the whole Jon Arryn thing. And I wouldn't blame them at all, that's a hell of a callback on top of the meat of JA's story being in the first couple of episodes where you're already trying to figure out who's names you really need to remember.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
i started rereading these books for some reason, what's wrong with me?

finally I can reread the R+L=J stuff and see where the implications comes from

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd be really impressed with any show-only person remembering the whole Jon Arryn thing. And I wouldn't blame them at all, that's a hell of a callback on top of the meat of JA's story being in the first couple of episodes where you're already trying to figure out who's names you really need to remember.

He's the guy who ties together the fat guy who dies at the end with the Sean Bean character who dies right after him but is never actually shown. Something about a strong seed, maybe related to those weirdwood trees.

Zero relevance after that.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Elman posted:

God they did a poor job with Littlefinger. Most viewers probably didn't even notice the Jon Arryn reveal in the Eyrie, too. He's just some creep that's really into Sansa.

I'm not looking forward to their original writing in the next few seasons, but at least we'll get an ending.

They've completely botched Littlefinger and it's shocking because they've done such a good job with nearly every other major character and have a great actor in Aiden Gillian. He varies between "stupidly obvious supervillain" and "extra creepy pedophile" without any charm or grace. It's hard to tell if it's the writing or Gillian hamming it up unnecessarily or what.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

They've completely botched Littlefinger and it's shocking because they've done such a good job with nearly every other major character and have a great actor in Aiden Gillian. He varies between "stupidly obvious supervillain" and "extra creepy pedophile" without any charm or grace. It's hard to tell if it's the writing or Gillian hamming it up unnecessarily or what.

Littlefinger is all about subtlety and that's something the show in general does very poorly.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gillian was the perfect Littlefinger on paper, and he's a good actor generally, I reckon it must be the writing. He can also do American, British, whatever accents, so gently caress knows what's up with that.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"Your sister."

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The march towards death via peak fuckery continues:

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-showrunners-admit-theyll-spoil-end-bo-216931

“the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion.”

“the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey, but HBO said they're willing to go 10 seasons. GRRM's got this guys. He'll have it done by this summer and he'll go the cons and he'll finish DoS and it'll all be good. Think positively.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Elman posted:

I'm not sure how this could be missed unless someone just doesn't see the episode.

I actually think he's one of the best characters on the show, him and Varys. He certainly looks exactly like I pictured LF. Are there big departures of Show LF from Book LF? I haven't read this series in a couple years now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ross posted:

I'm not sure how this could be missed unless someone just doesn't see the episode.

A lot of viewers won't remember the Jon Arryn plot or realize why that it's a big deal. The show certainly didn't make a big deal out of that reveal, and they've been messing up Littlefinger's characterization all along.

It's a shame because other than him they've been knocking it out of the park with every character. I'm gonna miss Tywin, all of his scenes were gold.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I thought it could be pretty easily missed if you aren't real clued in. Lysa rattles it off in the middle of her crazy poo poo right before her moon door adventure.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Want that the finale for whatever season that was in? I'm fairly certain most show watchers at this point know poo poo goes down in like the last few episodes ofa season

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Luna Was Here posted:

Want that the finale for whatever season that was in? I'm fairly certain most show watchers at this point know poo poo goes down in like the last few episodes ofa season

It was in one of the later episodes of Season 4 but I don't think it was the finale.

Edit: Episode 407 according to Wikipedia

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Lysa nonchalantly confesses to Jon Arryn's murder in Season 4, Episode 5. She gets pushed out of the Moon Door after Littlefinger says "your shishter" in Episode 7.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Lysa nonchalantly confesses to Jon Arryn's murder in Season 4, Episode 5. She gets pushed out of the Moon Door after Littlefinger says "your shishter" in Episode 7.

In all fairness, nobody gave a poo poo about who really killed Jon Arryn in the books either.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

In all fairness, nobody gave a poo poo about who really killed Jon Arryn in the books either.

wasn't it pretty much all about why he was killed

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sweet summer child...these books aren't about anything.

Except maybe lemoncakes and other assorted GRRM fantasies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Yeah. In AGoT, it was all about how Jon Arryn was killed because he figured out Joffrey/Myrcella/Tommen were incest bastards and was gonna spill the beans to Robert. The blame was pinned on Jon's retainers, who were all subsequently offed by the Lannisters ala Ser Hugh of The Vale Horrific Neck Trauma to keep them from talking, thus accidentally making them look guilty by default. At least the ones who were stupid enough to stick around King's Landing.

Then in ASoS, suddenly it's Lysa who poisoned Jon on Littlefinger's urging because she believed he'd bang her if she wasn't married anymore. And I guess that "The Lannisters killed Jon, they're all evil" letter to Cat was just a lie to cover her crazy rear end. Or something LF told her to write as just another step in his plan to get Cat by any means necessary... even starting a loving war for her.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 26, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah the letter to cat was just to start poo poo up so littlefinger could see what happens and try to advance himself

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Mark our words, the end is going to be a shaggydog anticlimax. There's no other way it can realistically go, and we'll endure assholes talking about "it's not the destination, but the journey" and "it's more like real life that way!' from here to eternity the same way we do every form of serialized fiction with an ending (but particularly TV-style poo poo like LOST, BSG, X-Files, and especially ASoIaF from acclaimed TV writer GURM).

-------------

I spoiled Arya going blind on reddit today. Felt good. Felt right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
are there any good spoilers I can fit into 16 letters (including spaces)? I need a new league of legends name