Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

The new option is "skip it."

RIP, Power Rangers: Train Quest Guild. You were too beautiful to actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm incredibly hype for Human Ninjor Hikaru to become the sixth Nininger :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ok, seriously? No one's talking about Chase's new form?
Spoiler pic: http://i.imgur.com/ck5zzND.jpg

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So he's FangJoker?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I hadn't seen it yet. He looks like a Baseball Umpire with a Gundam headset.

I like it a lot.

Also isn't his weapon the Signal Hammer. Which was Miu's weapon in ToQger too? Though his looks more serious business.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So he's FangJoker?

Looked like a cross between Joker and Magnet states in my eyes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

RIP, Power Rangers: Train Quest Guild. You were too beautiful to actually exist.

I'd be surprised if they actually skipped it, to be honest. Saban's people grousing about what they have to work with is one thing, its highly unusual for them to actually just leave all that stuff untouched.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They already skipped Go-Busters, the option's there now when it wasn't before.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I have always wondered "How the gently caress is this going to translate for American kids" since Shinkenger.

Just look at what they did with Hurricanger/Ninja Storm. i.e. they kept the base plot and the mentor turning into a hamster, but changed the 6th's origin and the villain

When Saban adapts it, they'll probably drop the whole family thing but probably keep everything else mostly with Red likely being the grandchild of the mentor and son of the secondary mentor.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I know they did, but there were a lot of reasons for that beyond "the suits are ugly and this doesn't look like an American railroad." Gobusters had a lot of out of suit stuff OR stuff with Japanese face villains that couldn't be used, robot fights that would be hard to cut up since they consisted of a lot more than just jump cuts, terrible toy sales, terrible ratings, no support from Bandai/Toei and a season after it that had dinosaurs in it. I still think that Saban is more likely than not to adopt ToQ.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Thanks for posting a pic, I was getting curious.

I think he looks pretty neat, though I still think Mach is visually my favorite of the batch.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

What is this nonsense? He doesn't even have a scarf.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cliff Racer posted:

I still think that Saban is more likely than not to adopt ToQ.
Nope.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oh man is that DenLiner at the front? :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd be surprised if they actually skipped it, to be honest. Saban's people grousing about what they have to work with is one thing, its highly unusual for them to actually just leave all that stuff untouched.

Yeah they already skipped GoBusters so if they skip ToQ as well, they'll either have to go with Ninninger or go back to GoBusters. Otherwise they'll be out of seasons.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They can probably work with Ninninger. Ninjas are cool and something American kids like and understand.

Also they're still on Nick so there's gonna be 2 years of Dino Charge. They can afford to skip seasons occasionally while they're still contracted to Nick since the gap is self sustaining.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I heard Go Busters was going to be incorporated into Dino Charge somehow(evil rangers?). Toq is never gonna be adapted because of their costumes and the train dong.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

WickedHate posted:

I heard Go Busters was going to be incorporated into Dino Charge somehow(evil rangers?). Toq is never gonna be adapted because of their costumes and the train dong.

I think that was just a rumor. If they were smart, they'd introduce the GoBusters as the rival serious commando rangers to the goofy ninja rangers in Ninninger, then jump off into its own series afterward.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I think that was just a rumor. If they were smart, they'd introduce the GoBusters as the rival serious commando rangers to the goofy ninja rangers in Ninninger, then jump off into its own series afterward.

What with the villain being some sort of galactic bounty hunter, I could see Saban using the GoBusters as some sort of galactic cops.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't see why people care about the train dong. It showed up a grand total of once and then literally never again (probably because of the internet reaction.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Because it's funny.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't see why people care about the train dong. It showed up a grand total of once and then literally never again (probably because of the internet reaction.)

Fooley fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 28, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

I never watched Toq so I didn't know how much it showed up, but yeah if it was just one time they could easily edit it out. Still, Toq's costumes present a problem. They look like a Power Rangers parody that they'd show on the Wiggles or something. Power Rangers always tries to be edgier(but lighter) then the much sillier(but darker) Sentai.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

WickedHate posted:

I never watched Toq so I didn't know how much it showed up, but yeah if it was just one time they could easily edit it out.

Can't edit it out of the toy.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

WickedHate posted:

I never watched Toq so I didn't know how much it showed up, but yeah if it was just one time they could easily edit it out. Still, Toq's costumes present a problem. They look like a Power Rangers parody that they'd show on the Wiggles or something. Power Rangers always tries to be edgier(but lighter) then the much sillier(but darker) Sentai.

Have you seen RPM?

Dr Tran posted:

Can't edit it out of the toy.

And they don't need to, because you can do dumb poo poo like that with anything you have physical access to. They just need to not show it themselves.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Actually, they probably could figure a way to edit it out of the toy. BoA remakes the toyline from scratch each season, with the zords usually being of a less detailed quality than their Japanese counterparts IIRC. Looking at the picture posted above all they would have to do is remove that last twist so that red's train cannot pop into itself.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cliff Racer posted:

Actually, they probably could figure a way to edit it out of the toy. BoA remakes the toyline from scratch each season, with the zords usually being of a less detailed quality than their Japanese counterparts IIRC. Looking at the picture posted above all they would have to do is remove that last twist so that red's train cannot pop into itself.

Yeah you might want to look up how that combination actually works.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AzraelNewtype posted:

Have you seen RPM?

No, I stopped watching Power Rangers after SPD. I did watch Go-Onger, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

No, I stopped watching Power Rangers after SPD. I did watch Go-Onger, though.

RPM is literally a post apocalyptic action show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

RPM is literally a post apocalyptic action show.

I know. That's broad, though. It's all still very PG-13, in a similar way to how modern WWE tries to be all hardcore while still heavily marketing itself towards children. Super Sentai is a kid's show, don't get me wrong, but it's still a lot darker then Power Rangers usually is. Toku, and a lot of Japan's kid's entertainment that falls on the more serious side, has always been like that in general. I'm not saying that's better or worse(though personally I do prefer Sentai), just noting it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You should really watch RPM regardless.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

You should really watch RPM regardless.

To be honest, I really dislike pretty much everything post Wild Force, except maybe Dino Thunder.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WickedHate posted:

To be honest, I really dislike pretty much everything post Wild Force, except maybe Dino Thunder.

Watch RPM anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

I know. That's broad, though. It's all still very PG-13, in a similar way to how modern WWE tries to be all hardcore while still heavily marketing itself towards children. Super Sentai is a kid's show, don't get me wrong, but it's still a lot darker then Power Rangers usually is. Toku, and a lot of Japan's kid's entertainment that falls on the more serious side, has always been like that in general. I'm not saying that's better or worse(though personally I do prefer Sentai), just noting it.

This post makes like no sense and is factually incorrect on a lot of points. The point is, RPM is a much darker, and yet still really silly!, PR show, especially contrasted to loving Go-Onger.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

This post makes like no sense and is factually incorrect on a lot of points. The point is, RPM is a much darker, and yet still really silly!, PR show, especially contrasted to loving Go-Onger.

In this particular instance, Go Onger is lighter, yes. Usually that's not the case. I was never saying RPM, specifically, is lighter then Go Onger, specifically, just that RPM is the darkest Power Rangers has gotten and that's not as dark as Sentai is a lot of the time.

My original post wasn't even about Power Rangers not being dark, but that it takes itself too seriously to use Toq's costumes. Did you just see "WickedHate" and figure you needed to argue?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
How many genuinely "dark" Sentai is there anyway? It's still a show for kids. Most of the stuff we'd consider dark/mature didn't even get adapted over here, like Liveman where the characters' friends are killed in front of them, or Jetman. And even those series weren't "dark" because they still had poo poo like ramen noodle monsters.

The main series I can remember being dark purposely was Ohranger, which had to do a 180 after the sarin gas attacks on the Japanese subway, which caused it to switch back to being goofier. At the very least we haven't had any dark Sentai since I started watching, which was Go-Onger. I almost want to say Go-Busters but that was still the series where a guy froze every time he saw a chicken and the show constantly had more and more ridiculous ways to shove chickens into episodes so that would actually be an issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm seperating darkness/lightness from edgyness/sillyness. Kamen Rider Gaim is a good example of something that's silly, but dark.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
With the editing Power Rangers does sometimes I highly doubt a dong that could easily be taken out affected Saban's decision in any big way. They have different toys for America so they could also remove that function.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think one of the sticking points about talking about whether a show is Lighter vs. Darker is that there's a lot of metrics that are often lumped into calling something "Darker". A show can be more or less serious for instance, and by that metric RPM was generally a lot more serious than Go-Onger was. There's also optimistic vs pessimistic, Gaim was indeed dark but it was also a strikingly optimistic and hopeful show all throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
This whole "light versus dark" debate is kind of dumb to have because Japanese cultural and storytelling norms are so different than ours that Japan can have something like a character dieing or people being enslaved or whatever in an otherwise light show while the US can have a character with a badass motorcycle who takes orders from a hamster. Ultimately its whatever the audience likes and wants to see. Thats not even a sentai/PR thing, its just a thing. You'll see the same to a lesser extent with any foreign import.

• Locked thread