Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Omnicrom posted:

I think one of the sticking points about talking about whether a show is Lighter vs. Darker is that there's a lot of metrics that are often lumped into calling something "Darker". A show can be more or less serious for instance, and by that metric RPM was generally a lot more serious than Go-Onger was. There's also optimistic vs pessimistic, Gaim was indeed dark but it was also a strikingly optimistic and hopeful show all throughout.

Right, pessimism vs optimism is yet another seperate sliding scale that should be considered when discussing a show's tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

WickedHate posted:

In this particular instance, Go Onger is lighter, yes. Usually that's not the case. I was never saying RPM, specifically, is lighter then Go Onger, specifically, just that RPM is the darkest Power Rangers has gotten and that's not as dark as Sentai is a lot of the time.

My original post wasn't even about Power Rangers not being dark, but that it takes itself too seriously to use Toq's costumes. Did you just see "WickedHate" and figure you needed to argue?

Seeing as you're still missing the point, he was right to. Go-On is goofy as gently caress and they managed to take that all the way to RPM's post apocalyptic future hellscape (complete with googly eyed robots). They could absolutely paper over the costumes of ToQGer with some bullshit rationalization if they wanted to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Kakuranger/Hurricanger crossover of sorts in Ninninger has now been officially confirmed.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

I'm seperating darkness/lightness from edgyness/sillyness. Kamen Rider Gaim is a good example of something that's silly, but dark.

No matter how some may disagree with my opinions on Gaim's ending, I think most of us agree

Gaim is not dark.

It gets serious from time to time, but it's never dark. They simply don't DO enough with it to give it that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

No matter how some may disagree with my opinions on Gaim's ending, I think most of us agree

Gaim is not dark.

It gets serious from time to time, but it's never dark. They simply don't DO enough with it to give it that.
Be real, they try. When Fruit Jesus stabs his rival Fruit Satan in the stomach, they try really hard to make it dramatic and sobering.

Meanwhile we all just laughed our asses off because it was Middle School Drama Class quality of fake stabbing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Be real, they try. When Fruit Jesus stabs his rival Fruit Satan in the stomach, they try really hard to make it dramatic and sobering.

Meanwhile we all just laughed our asses off because it was Middle School Drama Class quality of fake stabbing.

What I mean is, dark is not what I'd call that. That's just, in theory, tragic...though they really don't do a good job of playing that up.

For the record, I'd never refer to Kamen Rider Black as dark either, or Kuuga.

The only Rider that goes that far is Shin, which is about a more realistic super violent monster man and involves the graphic death of his girlfriend and unborn child.

There's nothing in Gaim that reaches that.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Burkion posted:

Gaim is not dark.

Gaim has some arguably dark moments/idea such as a young adult loses the ability to think rationally, gets essentially gunned down and then the killer in question tries to lecture like its a good thing. A corporation intends to commit mass genocide and installing weapons of mass destruction. Several deceptions occur with intent to murder of friends or family.

That said, I agree Gaim is not very dark or contains really heavy drama. With the exception of the first one listed, most of these fail or never even get off the ground. A dark Kamen Rider series tends to have dark moments being such a regular occurrence that many times they are glanced over cause so much heavier stuff is going on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gaim also has the deaths of the people transformed into monsters. Hase's death was pretty gut wrenching. And that arc where Kouta had that tramatic experience with Zangetsu. It's a lot lighter by Kamen Rider standards, but that's because nearly everything before Decade has moments like that or worse. Comparing it to modern Kamen Rider, modern Sentai, and especially Power Rangers, I'd say it's a lot darker.

Burkion posted:

For the record, I'd never refer to Kamen Rider Black as dark either, or Kuuga.

The only Rider that goes that far is Shin, which is about a more realistic super violent monster man and involves the graphic death of his girlfriend and unborn child.

What about Ryuki?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it might just be how I define dark.

To me, Berserk is Dark. Kamen Rider, just because of what it is, rarely is. It can have some dark moments, same as Power Rangers and Sentai, but never is the show itself that way.

Similarly, I wouldn't say the original Garo is dark, even though it's certainly bleak at times. It's just mature and serious.

Dark is when it goes even further than that, when the outlook of the show is bleak, and awful things happen a lot, often to people who don't deserve it.

Which is why I list Shin, which is frankly the most adult Rider thing ever created.

Ryuki is more pointless than anything, given how it ends. Though to reiterate, that's just how I define the term- if you have a different definition, that's fine, we're just arguing semantics. Gaim often tries to be a very serious show, but it undermines itself often and in various ways. It's got some unarguably dark moments, but some of the worst ones they either don't give enough attention to, or even go back on. Like Mitchi as a character and practically everything he did.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I would probably define dark as serious or tragic consequences but it wouldn't necessarily reflect the message or philosophy of the series. Going from previous examples, I would call both Kuuga and Ryuki Dark for Kamen Rider series but I would also consider them both stark contrasts of outlook. Kuuga is extremely Optimistic despite what happens in the series. On the other hand, while have not finished it yet, is currently coming off as rather nihilistic.

So its like Burkion said, its semantics. One person can call something Dark and another doesn't but it doesn't mean both are looking at the same series in completely different ways.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Like Mitchi as a character and practically everything he did.

It would have been better if Mitchi had some kind of sacrifice, or better yet, died in his battle with his brother. That way he could be forgiven and still suffer consequences.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

It would have been better if Mitchi had some kind of sacrifice, or better yet, died in his battle with his brother. That way he could be forgiven and still suffer consequences.

What kills Mitchi is that everything they built up, every crazy thing they tried to define about the guy, they also tried to soft ball as hard as possible and then make it go away in the last episode.

Despite betraying everyone over and over and over again, he never really suffers any repercussions for it...and part of that is because he never actually gets to DO anything. Beyond just generally being a dick and confusing Kouta, everything Mitchi did is either nullified or turned out for the best by the final episode. He didn't actually kill Takatora! Him trusting the good doctor helped Mai! Him joining the Overlords was ultimately pointless! Him using the forbidden fruit was ultimately pointless AND Kouta just kinda got back up after taking a sacrificing stab to the stomach!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I get the hosed up feeling we were supposed to sympathize with Micchy the whole time which says some weird poo poo about Urobochi, honestly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Handled differently, he could have been super relatable. Poor sap quickly realizing he's way out of his depth and that he can't be the hero he wants to, so he does reprehensible things because he thinks that it's the only way to make any headway in such a horrifying system. He'd actually be a decent foil for both Kouta and Takatora then.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Drive preview: Gou is posing and fighting with the Deadheat busted tire. I'm guessing he overcomes the time limit through sheer force of will.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is the Taisen movie out already? I wonder if Burger Ninja has a cameo in it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is anyone else enjoying Mitsuhiro Oikawa's "Who's That Guy?" as much as I am? I've had it in rotation pretty much as soon as I heard it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Agent Rush posted:

Is anyone else enjoying Mitsuhiro Oikawa's "Who's That Guy?" as much as I am? I've had it in rotation pretty much as soon as I heard it.

I've haven't heard it yet, but it has an amazing title.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've haven't heard it yet, but it has an amazing title.

Do you not watch the previews at the end of Ninninger or Drive? They've been playing the short version since they started showing the previews for Super Hero Taisen Grand Prix.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Agent Rush posted:

Do you not watch the previews at the end of Ninninger or Drive? They've been playing the short version since they started showing the previews for Super Hero Taisen Grand Prix.

Sadly my group is a good two or three weeks behind so I've only heard a few short clips of it. I did laugh when I saw "WHO'S THAT GUY?" in big letters in the corner though. I generally quite like the movie insert songs though, so I'll check it out soon!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It was interesting that the crossover is apparently canon to both Drive and Ninninger while also keeping the SS/KR universes separate, as opposed to the Gaim/ToQger crossover which was definitely not canon to Gaim and probably not to ToQger.

I was a bit surprised when Gou transformed because I had thought the damage to the Mach belt in the previous episode meant it couldn't be used anymore, I almost thought it was still alternate universe due to this but apparently he transforms just fine in the next episode too so I guess the damage wasn't that bad. I also kind of felt like the fact that Ninninger is just starting and we barely have gotten to know the characters came into play here, since the special kind of divided the team up into Takaharu and "the other four" with Yakumo being the only one to get a scene to himself for a minute or so.

Also kind of disappointed to see Medic and Heart being friendly to each other again in this episode considering the last one set them up as Heart starting to get annoyed with her and Brain seeing it as his chance to drive a further wedge between them. Kind of weird that the Ninninger are able to destroy Cores too, but I guess that can be chalked up to "Dimensional travel has unforeseen side effects!" Overall though it wasn't bad I thought.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was interesting that the crossover is apparently canon to both Drive and Ninninger while also keeping the SS/KR universes separate, as opposed to the Gaim/ToQger crossover which was definitely not canon to Gaim and probably not to ToQger.

I was a bit surprised when Gou transformed because I had thought the damage to the Mach belt in the previous episode meant it couldn't be used anymore, I almost thought it was still alternate universe due to this but apparently he transforms just fine in the next episode too so I guess the damage wasn't that bad. I also kind of felt like the fact that Ninninger is just starting and we barely have gotten to know the characters came into play here, since the special kind of divided the team up into Takaharu and "the other four" with Yakumo being the only one to get a scene to himself for a minute or so.

Also kind of disappointed to see Medic and Heart being friendly to each other again in this episode considering the last one set them up as Heart starting to get annoyed with her and Brain seeing it as his chance to drive a further wedge between them. Kind of weird that the Ninninger are able to destroy Cores too, but I guess that can be chalked up to "Dimensional travel has unforeseen side effects!" Overall though it wasn't bad I thought.

I'm not sure it's so canon or important when every important plot point of the previous episode was just ignored. Kind of makes it seem like it's not too picky about the plot or whatever happens.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eh the Ninningers got a Sealing Shuriken and that's kind of a big deal in their series, even if this one didn't turn into another support mech. I guess we'll know if any of the supposed destroyed cores from the crossover show up in Drive in the future though.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It's probably not meant to take place directly after last week's episode, if only because the numbering is still the same. So if it was canon, it certainly wouldn't be in this time period for Drive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh the Ninningers got a Sealing Shuriken and that's kind of a big deal in their series, even if this one didn't turn into another support mech. I guess we'll know if any of the supposed destroyed cores from the crossover show up in Drive in the future though.

The preview for next episode shows the story picking off exactly from last episode, depressed Gou and all. Even if the cores were destroyed I think this is one of those "Eh...time shenanigans happened, don't think about it too much (GO BUY OUR MOVIE YOU FUCKERS)" deals.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Please try to remember Ninninger is running a week behind.

It's likely Toei intended the special to air on March 22nd (the weekend of the latest SHT's release), placing it after UFOmaru's originally scheduled debut (which is where it did air) but before the current storyline in Drive.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 1, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah that's a good point I'd forgotten about the late debut of Ninninger. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the anniversary episode is going to air a week later than it was supposed to due to that. Yeah if this was meant to actually be in continuity it makes way more sense for it to have happened before last week's Drive.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm betting the sealing shuriken they picked up will be used in the movie for the Tridoron or something

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only thing that confused me was Kyuuemon apparently not going "Oh yeah these guys have a giant gently caress-off robot, watch out for that" just so they could do the same joke over again.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Some people are really mean. :eng99:

Thanks, April 1st?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

Some people are really mean. :eng99:

Thanks, April 1st?

To be fair, if there was any Ultra series that deserves to be subbed last, it's either this or Cosmos.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would like all of Lionmaru now please and thank you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My only exposure to Lion Maru is watching subs from a long dead sub group that did Lion Maru G, which was sort of an interesting show, starred the guy who played Sid in Gaim (and that musician guy in Den-O).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So I finally got around to watching the Spring Break Special and holy poo poo Captain and Grandpa making faces at each other was great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah,I watched it today too and enjoyed it for the most part. I wish the other Ninningers had gotten a bit more to do though. And that it had aired at the proper point during Drive.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

And if Lionmaru wasn't enough already :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oh, that's just cruel. :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I finally opened up and posed my Figuarts Rider 1 today and I'm very happy with him. My only disappointment is that I can't seem to articulate his arm into a proper henshin pose, which is lame.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Waffleman_ posted:

So I finally opened up and posed my Figuarts Rider 1 today and I'm very happy with him. My only disappointment is that I can't seem to articulate his arm into a proper henshin pose, which is lame.

It does take some fiddling. I find that super-1 is a better figure, than 1, 2 and 3 because of that stupid bicep joint they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kinda disappointed that the All Ninja team crossover only has the Reds show up. It's to be expected, I guess, but a three ninja team team-up would be grand.

Maybe they'll do it for a movie I guess.

• Locked thread