Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

AndyElusive posted:

Did anyone in Fury Road have an actual Australian accent?

Aside from furiosa and max, pretty much everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This movie doesn't need more effusive praise but it's one of the best action movies I've ever seen. This is like Aliens or T2 for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Inmmortan Joe - Patriarchy
People Eater - Business ( a little on the nose, get it)
Bullet Farmer - Military

I think I got that right on who George Miller thinks has destroyed the world.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

i love you

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks to the youtube videos posted in this thread, I watched a suggested video that showed me how George Miller's movies have basically created their own form of Juggalo. There's a party every year out in the desert and the ones who attend go dressed up like post-apocalyptic gangs, show off their custom rigs and cars and get drunk. Somehow the combination of all those elements seems like a really bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5dJYQtfEU&t=213s

(edited in a start tag)

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 19, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Somehow the combination of all those elements seems like a really bad idea.

That's pretty much Burning Man

(which is generally a really bad idea)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

Aside from furiosa and max, pretty much everyone.

I legitimately couldn't tell, not because of any other reason than because I'm poo poo at picking out accents.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
English isn't my first language and I'm no good at telling a lot of accents apart. I guess I did notice that the australian accent was present, but I didn't really notice its absence in the others. I mean if some of these guys had gone full on Montery Jack on me the contrast probably would have been more noticeable :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll respect everyone that doesn't enjoy the movie, there's always going to be minor niggles and major complaints that I may not agree with or bother me enough personally, but this is a world of myriad taste and humanity's collective pallet is all the better for the range of flavors.

Though I do wonder if some of the people that had a bad time with the movie approached it with the wrong frame of reference. Fury Road is not a summer blockbuster, not a traditional one or one we're accustomed to these days. We need to remember that Mad Max started as a foreign 70's exploitation flick, one that sold itself on revenge and violence with a terrible American dub. It's not an "action movie" in the style of Jaws or Rambo in that same era.

Likewise, Fury Road isn't a movie about cool cars going fast like FnF7 is. It's a college film by a 70-year old director who managed to trick studios into giving him $150 million for. It's a Road Runner cartoon filled with rage, with the audacious insanity on display obeying twisted rules we're not always privy to. It's a western in an era where the genre is almost unheard of and unremembered.

This isn't a movie full of hot babes, the latest cars, sweet jumps, and morals of brotherhood and family.

It's filled with sand, rust, speed, flame, rage, despair, and madness.

And you're just along for the ride, barely hoping to keep pace.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's pretty much a critique of the modern world and pretty damning of US policy as well. It's not exactly subtle. I mean you literally have women of color being milked for their sustenance and kept in bondage, while white women are kept as breeding tools and the woman named Furiosa has been symbolically castrated. The Left hand in Hebrew was seen as a symbol of power, and has been associated with mysticism and the feminine for like centuries.

Then you got two brothers one of which is Business, who is literally named the People Eater. The other a Bullet Farmer who becomes blind and screams about justice.

Then there's Max who's reduced to a animal by this world around him and through the destruction of the symbol of his masculinity finds rebirth.

Yeah, it's not subtle.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 19, 2015

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

great

this is great

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
A.O. Scott's rating blurb was perfect

quote:

Mad Max: Fury Road is rated R (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian). A ruthless critique of everything existing.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

You shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Saw it Saturday night. loving loved it. I'm trying to pick a day to see it again this week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly can't wait to watch it again this weekend. I hope it dominates this weekend so a sequel is ensured. George Miller is a loving genius.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure the Milk Mothers are all Maori.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 19, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramsus posted:

and everything i saw is possible
the killing power of that tiny little wrist-crossbow that guy in road warrior has is not possible, sorry.

also the razor boomerang in fury road is 100,000% impossible, and also everyone in it would die to heatstroke due to their dumb leather outfits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

leokitty posted:

A.O. Scott's rating blurb was perfect

That is fantastic

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I loved Twisted Metal as a child and this movie was basically that.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cephalocidal posted:

Skull mouth doesn't drop open, 5/10.

Are you trying to say that it's :mediocre: ?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've seen it mentioned that the name of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's character, Angharad, is actually a real Welsh name meaning "much loved one," according to wikipedia.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Oh, hah. I just finished making the same thing and was trying to talk myself into buying it.

Too slow.

I am...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TWO EMOTES ENTER

ONE EMOTE LEAVES.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

TerminalBlue posted:

Oh, hah. I just finished making the same thing and was trying to talk myself into buying it.

Too slow.

I am...

If you can't stand up, you can't do posting!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't think Toast the Knowing (Zoe Kravitz's character) or whatever Riley Keough's character was spoke with an Australian accent either.

Seems awful nit picky. In a post apocalyptic world where civilizations are few and far between, it's not hard to imagine accents evolving.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I wish that was a real rating because I'd see every B-rated movie ever.

Also lmao what on earth could possibly constitute a false rape sequence in that movie?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Is their logo really a take on the V for Vendetta logo?

And they named their indoctrination after the Matrix?

Have the Wachowskis told them to gently caress off yet?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A friend showed me that image a few weeks ago, no one can figure out what "false rape sequences" is supposed to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

A friend showed me that image a few weeks ago, no one can figure out what "false rape sequences" is supposed to be.

When max puts the iv in Furiosa?

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

If you're part of a movement to MANcott this movie, you are probably sitting around making images like that instead of actually watching the movie.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Joe is married to his wives, so under South Carolina law it's not technically rape.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 19, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

I guess I missed the part where Splendid seduced Nice Guy Immortan Joe so they could have consensual sex but then she lied about it so he'd get arrested and everything would turn out great for her because reasons?

Guess I have no choice but to see it a fourth time and see if I can pick up on the false rape sequences.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The concept art is rad as hell. It's every bit as amazing and old school as the movie. http://io9.com/the-explosively-awesome-concept-art-of-mad-max-fury-ro-1705332309

I'm totally getting this book. And pretty much anything else related to this movie that gets released.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 19, 2015

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

strangemusic posted:

If you can't stand up, you can't do posting!

If I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna fail historic on an avatar road!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I legitimately couldn't tell, not because of any other reason than because I'm poo poo at picking out accents.

You have good cause, actually. Most Australian accents in hollywood are an american guy doing a confusing hybrid of new zealand, south africa, and non-specific british. The worst one I can think of in recent years is Pacific Rim.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You have good cause, actually. Most Australian accents in hollywood are an american guy doing a confusing hybrid of new zealand, south africa, and non-specific british. The worst one I can think of in recent years is Pacific Rim.

Weren't the two main guys in that British?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

Weren't the two main guys in that British?

The Aussies (dad and son) were Americans.

The Americans (sons of anarchy guy and Idris Elba) are both Brits.

e: And the Russians were Canadian.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 19, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Complaining about Americans doing Australian accents in movies is pretty funny in the Mad Max thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

A look into how the cars in Fury Road were built - So shiny, so chrome...

• Locked thread