Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

That was ironic.

This is not ironic. This is literally the writers going "here is the best character love him and adore him."

Pretty soon everyone's going to be asking where Takaharu is when he's not on screen.

Seriously, even Daigo from Kyoryuger (another show where almost everything revolved around the Red Ranger) wasn't nearly this bad. Like I've said before, this wouldn't be quite as bad if the guy playing Takaharu actually knew how to loving act (seriously, he almost rivals Troy from Megaforce in this regard).

However I do like pretty much everything else about the show so far and am interested in seeing where this whole subplot with Kyuemon goes (at this point, I'm guessing she ends up betraying Gengetsu towards the end and becomes the final boss of the series, either that or it's a Dogold-esque situation where the mask is controlling her somehow).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
She wouldn't be the first Fox Faced Demon to attempt to betray her master only to get creamed by a pissed off giant monster with a massive shoulder piece.

Maybe she'll break the cycle.

And Yeah, NinjaDad for 7th Ranger. Even though they seem to have dropped that whole thing

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Daigo worked because even though he was overpowered as hell throughout the series and got to one shot the final boss, he still showed a constant appreciation for his teammates that felt genuine the whole way through. He had an infectious optimism that made him a natural leader in addition to the talent inherent in being a Red. With Takaharu it seems like he's an idiot child that everyone else only tolerates because he's strong as hell, and Takaharu's (and the show's) understanding of teamwork seems to be "that thing where I use everyone else's powers in addition to my own."

I was so loving ready for the other four to tell Takaharu "no you loving idiot, get back to the house you can't do poo poo. Are you so self-centered and arrogant that you believe that we're actually just trying to buy time until you show up and save us all? We're a family, dumbass, that means we protect each other, not wait for you to protect us." But instead the opposite happened I was real pissed at the lovely writing and couldn't enjoy the fight choreography.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is nobody going to talk about Grandpa's incredible Last Ninja self-help book that he apparently gave to a small Japanese-American cowboy child? It's amazing on like every level.

1st level: That cover is super cheesy and looks like one of those "get rich" infomercials. Also reminds me of all those books and kits you used to see in mail-order catalogs about how to harness your latent psychic powers and poo poo.

2nd level: Included in this book is a chapter on building your own (maybe sapient) giant battle robot, which is a thing that Kinji was definitely able to do without any issues.

3rd level: Is a self-contained narrative explanation for why his transformation device is a toy hamburger- it's because he made it himself and that is exactly how he rolls.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

deadly_pudding posted:

Is nobody going to talk about Grandpa's incredible Last Ninja self-help book that he apparently gave to a small Japanese-American cowboy child? It's amazing on like every level.

1st level: That cover is super cheesy and looks like one of those "get rich" infomercials. Also reminds me of all those books and kits you used to see in mail-order catalogs about how to harness your latent psychic powers and poo poo.

2nd level: Included in this book is a chapter on building your own (maybe sapient) giant battle robot, which is a thing that Kinji was definitely able to do without any issues.

3rd level: Is a self-contained narrative explanation for why his transformation device is a toy hamburger- it's because he made it himself and that is exactly how he rolls.

I think that's part of the issue; everything involving every other character is basically amazing, but it's dragged down by the issues with Takaharu.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, just about everyone who isn't Takaharu has been great so far. As mentioned, I probably could tolerate him more if he had a better actor, or at the very least wasn't the Red Ranger. Putting the majority of the focus on him just makes his flaws stand out all the more.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 19, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Daigo worked because even though he was overpowered as hell throughout the series and got to one shot the final boss, he still showed a constant appreciation for his teammates that felt genuine the whole way through. He had an infectious optimism that made him a natural leader in addition to the talent inherent in being a Red. With Takaharu it seems like he's an idiot child that everyone else only tolerates because he's strong as hell, and Takaharu's (and the show's) understanding of teamwork seems to be "that thing where I use everyone else's powers in addition to my own."

I was so loving ready for the other four to tell Takaharu "no you loving idiot, get back to the house you can't do poo poo. Are you so self-centered and arrogant that you believe that we're actually just trying to buy time until you show up and save us all? We're a family, dumbass, that means we protect each other, not wait for you to protect us." But instead the opposite happened I was real pissed at the lovely writing and couldn't enjoy the fight choreography.

I've said it before but Kyoryuger's approach to its team was "These guys are all awesome, and this guy is especially awesome too". There's a difference between putting over the red ranger (which always happens) and putting him over at the expense of the rest of the team. The standard default mode of Super Sentai is the red ranger is the best ranger, but most Sentai shows have that whole "team" thing to them where having an awesome dude as the leader also puts over the rest of the team by having them work together well.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Larryb posted:

Like I've said before, this wouldn't be quite as bad if the guy playing Takaharu actually knew how to loving act (seriously, he almost rivals Troy from Megaforce in this regard).

As much poo poo as we give Takaharu's actor (and rightfully so), at least he can change his expression. Whether stage direction or no, I swear to god we've had monsters of the week with more facial range than Yakumo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have they given this dude a Battlizer yet? That was always a good example of peak RED=BEST bullshit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Light Gun Man posted:

Have they given this dude a Battlizer yet? That was always a good example of peak RED=BEST bullshit.

Surprisingly, no. The power-up for the season is like Shinkenger's, it can only be used by one person at a time but it can be used by every member of the team. That said, I fully expect nearly all of the use to be Takaharu, with the rest of the team getting to use it once each, except Nagi who doesn't get to use it at all because we need to ignore him even more.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Surprisingly, no. The power-up for the season is like Shinkenger's, it can only be used by one person at a time but it can be used by every member of the team. That said, I fully expect nearly all of the use to be Takaharu, with the rest of the team getting to use it once each, except for Kasumi and Fuuka who share their one use together in a comedy bit.

ToQger!!! :doom:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shaezerus posted:

As much poo poo as we give Takaharu's actor (and rightfully so), at least he can change his expression. Whether stage direction or no, I swear to god we've had monsters of the week with more facial range than Yakumo.

TOO. EASY.
I like how the two characters who spent time in English speaking countries got into an argument about pronunciation of their random English phrases the first time they met.

See, like, I think it works with Yakumo. He's supposed to be a real stick in the mud who was brought up by somebody who thinks ninja stuff is dumb, so him like phoning it in completely is practically in character. On the flip side, I don't know how Takaharu somehow sounds bored when he's yelling "I'M FIRED UP," but it's like a weird, sarcastic yell. I don't know if I could adequately describe it to somebody who hasn't seen a clip of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched Kamen Rider OOO, and it was really, really good! My only complaint is that Putotyra looks really awful. Tajadol is way better and I'm glad it ended with that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

WickedHate posted:

I watched Kamen Rider OOO, and it was really, really good! My only complaint is that Putotyra looks really awful. Tajadol is way better and I'm glad it ended with that.

PuToTyra has the best theme song though

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpazmasterX posted:

PuToTyra has the best theme song though

quantifying the Combo theme songs as 'best' is just a terrible thing.

Put them all on your Computer and listen to them in Sequence. Much Better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't know how Takaharu somehow sounds bored when he's yelling "I'M FIRED UP," but it's like a weird, sarcastic yell.

That's probably the most accurate way of describing it. It just sounds horribly off, and the fact that it's his catch phrase means he does it at least once an episode and the show is much worse off for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stallion Cabana posted:

quantifying the Combo theme songs as 'best' is just a terrible thing.

Put them all on your Computer and listen to them in Sequence. Much Better.

ShaUTa and SaGoZo never got much use, sadly. GataKiriBa didn't either, but at least it got one really cool scene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My favorite is just TaToBa, and I didn't really care for any of the others, aside from TaJaDol, which was just ridiculously badass. Better than Kiva's super mode, in fact, and I love that one.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

ShaUTa and SaGoZo never got much use, sadly. GataKiriBa didn't either, but at least it got one really cool scene.

It's not uncommon for the Water Form of the Rider to not get much use but I always did wonder why SaGoZo especially got very little screen time. I wonder if it was a tricky costume to wear or something.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Because there was a devastating earthquake.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SpikeMcclane posted:

Natural disasters affecting the broadcast and airing of Japanese shows is pretty common. Japan being an island will do that.

Has there even been a year in recent memory where some kind of disaster didn't change or delay KR?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Natural disasters affecting the broadcast and airing of Japanese shows is pretty common. Japan being an island will do that.

Has there even been a year in recent memory where some kind of disaster didn't change or delay KR?

No, Decade caused everything to move up several months.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpikeMcclane posted:

Oh right. I for some reason didn't connect that those occured at the same time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
A yes, the OOO form with the legs of the mighty condol.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

A yes, the OOO form with the legs of the mighty condol.

A most majestic bird.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The only thing I didn't really like about most of the Combos was that only Tajador had a full sized image on it's chest; the three parts together form a phoenix on his chest, but none of the other combos do that either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

The only thing I didn't really like about most of the Combos was that only Tajador had a full sized image on it's chest; the three parts together form a phoenix on his chest, but none of the other combos do that either.

Wasn't that the only combo from a single type of animal? Theoretically it could probably be done with others.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What's the difference between henge, henkei and henshin?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

Grammar. I think.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

Not entirely true. Gatakiriba is a preying mantis from the front-view.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's the solution to the Takaharu problem: Replace him with Daigo and Nagi with Nossan. Problem solved.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Actually let's just replace the rest of Ninninger with a second Kyoryuger series.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yoshihiko and Akibaranger taught me to never wish for another season of an enjoyable show. :smith:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr Tran posted:

I have no clue about henkei, but I think henshin more or less means the transformation of the body into something completely different, like how the Showa Riders had their bodies actually changed when they transformed. Henge might just mean changing the outer appearance.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was actually mentioned in the first episode of Gundam Unicorn. Mobile Suits and Mobile Armors that transformed in the sense of "henkei" had existed in the setting prior to Unicorn, and in the case of MSes they changed from humanoid form to something else entirely, like a plane a la Macross, while Mobile Armors could be just about anything. The Unicorn Gundam, however, was noted to explicitly not change via "henkei," but through "henshin." To paraphrase the official subtitles, it didn't transform, it morphed. It retained its humanoid form, though the details of its body where changed.

So guessing based on picking things up from context, I'm assuming henkei specifically means "change form," henshin means "change body," and maybe henge is to change in a more general sense.

One of you guys who actually knows Japanese might wanna fill us in, though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Watching Takaharu makes me miss BoukenRed. Why can't we have a Red Ranger like him again?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

T.G. Xarbala posted:

So guessing based on picking things up from context, I'm assuming henkei specifically means "change form," henshin means "change body," and maybe henge is to change in a more general sense.

One of you guys who actually knows Japanese might wanna fill us in, though.

That's more or less accurate I think. In a toku context, I've noticed the following tendencies with the usage of the words:
Henshin - Used for people when changing into their armoured/warrior forms. 'Henshin' is literally 'change' 変 and 'body/oneself' 身.
Henkei - Used for objects, weapons, robots/mechs, etc. 'Henkei' is literally written as 'change' 変 and 'shape' 形.
Henge is much less common I think and maybe more old-fashioned. The kanji, 変化 is more usually read as 'henka' and is indeed a general word for 'change'. The 'henge' reading of that kanji compound can also be used to mean youkai and other fantastical creatures, maybe that's why Toei chose to use it for Ninin.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Justin_Brett posted:

Watching Takaharu makes me miss BoukenRed. Why can't we have a Red Ranger like him again?
Just put Marvelous in place of NinRed and boom, show mostly fixed. (and I don't even mind NinRed that much)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The rumors of a fashion-themed Rider for the next series keep coming in. Apparently the name Kamen Rider Oshare has been trademarked, which means "fashionable," but the o is king, but there's no concrete proof yet. Pretty much all the rumors have been pointing in this direction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Waffleman_ posted:

The rumors of a fashion-themed Rider for the next series keep coming in. Apparently the name Kamen Rider Oshare has been trademarked, which means "fashionable," but the o is king, but there's no concrete proof yet. Pretty much all the rumors have been pointing in this direction though.

Speaking of, what's the series where the two dudes had a makeup face off?

• Locked thread