Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

Is there any mac app that would allow me to batch convert (read: just change the container of) a bunch of mkvs to mp4s, skipping if the video/audio contained in the mkv isn't supported by the mp4 container? Presumably Handbrake offers this but I have little if no idea how to use it to this end.
MP4tools is another one, but isn't free. It'll let you do one at a time with a delay but no batch without paying up. Other than that no clue how it compares to Subler cause I haven't used the latter.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools-home/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

japtor posted:

MP4tools is another one, but isn't free. It'll let you do one at a time with a delay but no batch without paying up. Other than that no clue how it compares to Subler cause I haven't used the latter.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools-home/

That is actually the program that caused synch problems for me. But I am using an old version, because the new version dropped some feature I needed. The new version may have solved the issues, or maybe I was manipulating files that had some edge conditions. But the same files Subler handled fine.

One way to 'batch' with Subler is to spawn a bunch of windows and have all the files being done at the same time.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I am now having to switch between Chinese and Japanese, and I want to have only two input methods active at any given time (and I hate the HUD display that pops up when there are three input running).

I am able to get things working the way I want by only having two input methods running and the just swapping out Chinese for Japanese when needed.

Is there a way to hide the choices for keyboard to just the three I use (Google Japanese, Kotoeri, Chinese) in the same way you can do with system wide languages? SO that I can quickly enable/disable input methods without having to scroll through the whole list?

Would post the Language System Prefs that shows the Edit List button, but imgur is down right now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

Is there any mac app that would allow me to batch convert (read: just change the container of) a bunch of mkvs to mp4s, skipping if the video/audio contained in the mkv isn't supported by the mp4 container? Presumably Handbrake offers this but I have little if no idea how to use it to this end.

Not sure how comfortable you are with CLI, but this little shell script will do the trick. You'll need to install ffmpeg. They make binaries available for OS X or you can compile yourself with X Code, or install using home-brew.

code:
#!/bin/bash
find /path/to/input/folder -iname '*.mkv' -print0 | while read -d '' -r file; do
    ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:v copy -c:a copy ${file%%.mkv}.mp4
done
Basically this assumes all your mkv files live in the same directory, and then creates a new file with the mp4 container.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luceo posted:

Is there an app that'll tell me what Time Machine thinks it needs to backup? I'm beginning to wonder if there's some stupid cache I need to exclude, because I'll see it wanting to back up a new 700mb chunk when I know that all I've done lately is browse the forums. This wouldn't be an issue except for when TM loves to sometimes upload to the NAS slower than a 56k modem.

As far as I know, TM will back up everything local except for files that are rebuilt on a reboot. So that includes system work files, caches, logs, etc...

For me the biggest offender are VMs. Make a change and the entire vmdk gets backed up again, which in essence means every time you boot one up. I've those, plus external local drives excluded for as long as I've been using Time Machine. I simply make a clone onto my NAS every now and then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's an exclusion plist or two, and apps can auto add exclusions themselves. I think VMware does this while a VM is running, and otherwise I got bit by some OS X bug that added a bunch of directories that shouldn't have been there. Might've been meant to be a temporary exclusion during an update but stuck for whatever reason? I read about a while back but can't find it anymore, I thought it'd be here but maybe just couldn't find the specific page (...and recently found out that guy died a few years back :().

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
You can exclude manually via System Preferences, but I don't know if you can tell which things are being changed.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

flosofl posted:

As far as I know, TM will back up everything local except for files that are rebuilt on a reboot. So that includes system work files, caches, logs, etc...

For me the biggest offender are VMs. Make a change and the entire vmdk gets backed up again, which in essence means every time you boot one up. I've those, plus external local drives excluded for as long as I've been using Time Machine. I simply make a clone onto my NAS every now and then.

I already exclude my VMs, but this oh hey 700 more megs! poo poo when I haven't even touched my computer since the last backup is getting old.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Luceo posted:

I already exclude my VMs, but this oh hey 700 more megs! poo poo when I haven't even touched my computer since the last backup is getting old.
Can you do a diff on two backup folders that you think should be identical and see what's changed?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

TACD posted:

Can you do a diff on two backup folders that you think should be identical and see what's changed?

I hadn't considered that since the TM folders are knot of hard links. I'll see if that works.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somebody finally found a solution to my problems running Synergy with a Windows server and an OS X client and experiencing lag after letting the cursor/keyboard sit for a second or two, if anyone's interested:

https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4132

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Somebody finally found a solution to my problems running Synergy with a Windows server and an OS X client and experiencing lag after letting the cursor/keyboard sit for a second or two, if anyone's interested:

Are you using OS X as the server or the client? I run mine as the server and never run across that issue.

That, being said. Fix your loving network stack, Apple.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

Are you using OS X as the server or the client? I run mine as the server and never run across that issue.

That, being said. Fix your loving network stack, Apple.

Windows server, OS X client. Running OS X as the server also fixes the problem, but it's not practical for my setup.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well gently caress my pucker!

Apple today released an update to Boot Camp with support for Microsoft Windows 10, according to a new support document. The update, Boot Camp 6, is still propagating and is not yet available for OS X. However, several MacRumors forum members have noted the update is available within Windows partitions in Boot Camp, Apple's tool to allow Intel Mac owners to dual boot OS X and Windows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Feenix posted:

Apple today released an update to Boot Camp with support for Microsoft Windows 10, according to a new support document. The update, Boot Camp 6, is still propagating and is not yet available for OS X. However, several MacRumors forum members have noted the update is available within Windows partitions in Boot Camp, Apple's tool to allow Intel Mac owners to dual boot OS X and Windows.
Supported computers:

tl;dr - anything from 2012 onwards (except apparently the Mac Pro?).

I guess my 2011 computer had a nice run and really Win 7 is still fine.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 13, 2015

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Luceo posted:

I hadn't considered that since the TM folders are knot of hard links. I'll see if that works.

As an update, I found a tool called Backup Loupe: http://www.soma-zone.com/BackupLoupe/

This lets you browse each backup to see what was included. I've discovered that ~/Library/Application Support/Google is an excellent thing to exclude. Also, the loving Curse Client has a 180MB log file. :mad:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luceo posted:

As an update, I found a tool called Backup Loupe: http://www.soma-zone.com/BackupLoupe/

This lets you browse each backup to see what was included. I've discovered that ~/Library/Application Support/Google is an excellent thing to exclude. Also, the loving Curse Client has a 180MB log file. :mad:

That's a great find. And.. added to exceptions.

Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Luceo posted:

Thanks for this find.

And also, Chrome puts about a gigabyte of data down, and I have had 2 gigbytes of Google Earth data. I exclude all of the Cache folder as well.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Luceo posted:

Also, the loving Curse Client has a 180MB log file. :mad:

Didn't they basically kill the Curse client because they gave up on getting it to work properly?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

robodex posted:

Didn't they basically kill the Curse client because they gave up on getting it to work properly?

It still works, at least for WoW. Not like there's a choice in the matter other than manually updating addons. I hear they're trying again for a Mac version with the new v5 client.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Here's today's 10.10.5 Combo Update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832?locale=en_US

Nothing terribly exciting as Yosemite likely receives its last version bump.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Luceo posted:

It still works, at least for WoW. Not like there's a choice in the matter other than manually updating addons. I hear they're trying again for a Mac version with the new v5 client.

Ahh, right. When I came back to WoW briefly a few months ago, I remember I had to hunt for the Mac client on their site since they had it buried with a "THIS MAY NOT WORK, ALSO WE GAVE UP ON V5" note. Considering how much a train wreck the app is on Windows, I'm not surprised :shrug:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

Thanks for nothing, Scott.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Just updated the boot camp software within my upgraded Win 10 install using the apple software update thing. Now I have proper updated video drivers built on 7/15/2015. Version 15.2

Still no support for 5k, but if the performance in my games is good then I don't really care. Everything else on the 5K imac was fine with the old drivers and whatever MS included.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GregNorc posted:

Does anyone know what would cause Handbrake to hang on a re-encode?

It seems to only happen when I select a 2 pass MP4 at 6000kbps... when I do one pass it renders fine but is a bit jagged for my tastes

I'm re-encoding this fractal video that's very pretty but it's also 19GB.
'

Is it hanging or going just really god drat slow? I would think fractal animations would be a worst-case scenario for x264. Is the CPU pegged still?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The new El Capitan disk utility is pretty, but perplexing to me.

I have a 1TB disk split into a 900gb partition (5 year old install) and a 100gb partition (clean install, and running EC B4).

I moved a ton of data from the 900gb drive off to externals and successfully (after many hours wait, naturally) reduced it's partition down to 450gb, thinking I could then increase the other by 450gb and start migrating things across.

What I now have is a 3rd partition, taking up that 450gb called Untitled that seems to be blocking me from increasing my new 100gb partition up. I've tried unmounting it, hitting the '-' on it in the partition editor (this just seems to increase the old one up to 1tb and 1.3tb somehow), but nothing I've clicked has allowed me to add more space to the drive I want to use.

I've tried this in both Live mode and rebooted into Recovery mode and same result.

e: from reading elsewhere sometimes the 'bottom most' partition can't be resized for reasons I haven't found (I've checked if anything is listed as being Core Storage and it's not), so it's just a combination of bad feedback and a GUI that feels a bit of a mess. Luckily moving all my Home folders to this new empty partition has resolved for now, I only need the machine for about 4 months more anyway.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 14, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

flosofl posted:

Not sure how comfortable you are with CLI, but this little shell script will do the trick. You'll need to install ffmpeg. They make binaries available for OS X or you can compile yourself with X Code, or install using home-brew.

code:
#!/bin/bash
find /path/to/input/folder -iname '*.mkv' -print0 | while read -d '' -r file; do
    ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:v copy -c:a copy ${file%%.mkv}.mp4
done
Basically this assumes all your mkv files live in the same directory, and then creates a new file with the mp4 container.

This is great - any idea how to get this to scan recursively in multiple subfolders?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

This is great - any idea how to get this to scan recursively in multiple subfolders?

That should already prevent globbing since the -iname parameter is in quotes. That means find should drop down into subfolders from the path declaration.

If it has issues, try running the following script from the root of your mkv collection. It will actually run correctly from anywhere that's in a higher level than the mkv files in the folder tree, but it will add time as find recurses everything it can. It's better just to specify the root level, or run the following at the root level of your collection.
code:
#!/bin/bash
find . -iname '*.mkv' -print0 | while read -d '' -r file; do ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:v copy -c:a copy ${file%%.mkv}.mp4
done
I just tested the "." version from my comics folder against '*.cbr' files and it returned the full path for all my comic files in all the subdirectories. So the above will definitely work. You can even just run it as a single command in terminal. But if you want to save it, you can just paste the above into a text file called "convertMKVtoMP4.sh". Remember to chmod it executable if you do.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 14, 2015

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The new El Capitan disk utility is pretty, but perplexing to me.

I have a 1TB disk split into a 900gb partition (5 year old install) and a 100gb partition (clean install, and running EC B4).

I moved a ton of data from the 900gb drive off to externals and successfully (after many hours wait, naturally) reduced it's partition down to 450gb, thinking I could then increase the other by 450gb and start migrating things across.

What I now have is a 3rd partition, taking up that 450gb called Untitled that seems to be blocking me from increasing my new 100gb partition up. I've tried unmounting it, hitting the '-' on it in the partition editor (this just seems to increase the old one up to 1tb and 1.3tb somehow), but nothing I've clicked has allowed me to add more space to the drive I want to use.

I've tried this in both Live mode and rebooted into Recovery mode and same result.

Older system but just checking. Is the 100GB partition at the end of the disk? If so, that's your problem

You can only expand a partition onto following space on the drive. This is complicated in addition by the hidden recovery partition that will block a lot of what used to be simple partition rearrangements.

Assuming the recovery partition is not blocking any moves you want to make, you are going to have to make a third partition, clone the 100 into the new second partition, erase the original 100 gb partition, then finally expand the cloned space out to the extent of the disk.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I guess something like GParted would also work in a situation like this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thanks, I edited just as you posted because I'd found similar (but less detailed) info. In the end I just moved my home folder to the new partition. I have 70gb free on the OS drive now which should be fine for day to day stuff and the odd app install.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I found ShareMouse easier and more reliable than Synergy, which seems to have a weird history with maintainers/forks/etc.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Martytoof posted:

Man so I switched cold turkey back to Safari a few months ago and it's been 99% fine. One bug that I'm seeing is that when I hit the back button or swipe back, sometimes it'll go back to just a blank white page. Is this widespread? It's not TERRIBLY annoying since cmd-R will fix it but sometimes I'm just like :rolleyes: ..

Yep, I'm having the problem too, and it continues to occur with the latest Safari update for Mavericks, version 7.1.8.

I'm holding out hope that Apple means what it says by telling us that El Capitan will focus on stability and security, and fix the buggy pile of crap that OS X is becoming.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Anton Chigurh posted:

Yep, I'm having the problem too, and it continues to occur with the latest Safari update for Mavericks, version 7.1.8.

I'm holding out hope that Apple means what it says by telling us that El Capitan will focus on stability and security, and fix the buggy pile of crap that OS X is becoming.
Have you noticed this with anything other than going back to a Google search?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mercurius posted:

Now that you mention it, I think it has mostly been using Google search. I'll pay more attention and see if I notice it with any other sites.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mercurius posted:

Personally, I've only had the issue with Google searches.

If I remember tomorrow (er... today, up late doing some change-window work) I'll see if it happens with other WebKit browsers too. I wonder if it's something with Google and Yosemite Safari specifically, or if there's an issue with WebKit and Google.

EDIT: God drat Heisen-bug. Now I can't get it to trigger at all. I'll try to keep track of the searches I see this behavior on and see if I can narrow down the conditions and whether it's limited to OS X Safari, Safari in general (OS X and Win) or WebKit (testing both OS X and Win).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 17, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Mercurius posted:

I also notice it fairly often with The Verge, but that's one of the shittiest-coded sites around sooooo

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

edit: oops wrong thread

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Historical question: why did Microsoft bother building Office for the Mac in all these years where the Mac was close to gone? On one hand, I guess a sale is a sale, but on the other hand, 1. the margins must have been much worse than on Windows, 2. the Office division was making life harder for the OS division.