Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

The second anime is going to be helmed by Sho Aikawa with some Toshiki Inoue sprinkled in for good measure though, so hold on to your butts.

Uuuuugh. Thanks for killing my enthusiasm for that. Oh well, I'm sure everything will be fine once we get another Raiga series, because Raiga is good. So is Kouga. And Leon/Alfonso. And basically everyone not named Ryuga.

Also Fourze was good because it was silly and hot-blooded and fun and friendship-filled. It made an absolutely terrible job with some of its plot lines though. Most of the Horoscopes ended up being totally pointless, and they were just left forgotten by the end. Ryusei was intolerable for a long while, until he turned sides and then we had the cockblock episode, plus his interactions with Tomoko and he became good. And goddamn could Yuuki get annoying. But overall I thought Fourze was good and fun and I wouldn't mind more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
And then Meteor ended up with some older woman from a movie while Tomoko got nothing. I loved the high school theme of Fourze, I liked the goofy astro switches, I loved the personality of most of the cast. It was pretty good overall.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ImpAtom posted:

Wizard's fight choreography actually got super-boring. He has a cool suit but the fights were incredibly dull for the most part.

Fourze didn't always have good fight choreography but at least it tried.

I could only really get though about 5-6 episodes of Wizard and the only thing I remember about the fights was at one point he turned into a Wind form and the fight became a kinda boring CG-fest with no real choreography.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Shout! Factory's cover department has outdone itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I feel like this doesn't quite mesh with the Zyuranger set...but I'm still totally picking it up!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

I feel like this doesn't quite mesh with the Zyuranger set...but I'm still totally picking it up!

It has a lot of the same terrible design elements people hated on the Zyuranger set, but manages to look worse.

They decided not to call it "Super Sentai Dairanger" like they did to Zyu though, so there's that?

I mean, yeah I'll certainly buy it too, because as wonky as the Zyu subs are, (the fansubs are better if you still happen to have the files, though nobody reading this should take it as an excuse not to buy the set) Dairanger's fansubs are kind of awful, so it's nothing but improvement... once you open the case and don't have to look at the cover anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Could be worse.

Their UltraSeven set has some weird knock off Chinese UltraSeven suit on the cover that never appears anywhere in any of the actual series. Like, at least the Sentai covers so far don't have off brand versions of the characters they're supposed to be

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AzraelNewtype posted:

They decided not to call it "Super Sentai Dairanger" like they did to Zyu though, so there's that?

I did not notice that bit, and I am very pleased now that you've pointed it out.

I hope that 1) Shout Factory keeps releasing Sentai sets, and 2) They accelerate to more than one a year.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm trying to watch Shinkenger. Linkara's HOPR on Samurai reignited my interest on that, I tried before, but had problems downloading it. Seems clear now. Theme song is bitchin, suits look awesome, and I hear it's got kickass choreography.

Kyoryuger is the only other Sentai I've watched all the way through(which is odd, because I've completed four Kamen Riders-Sentai are just harder to find for some reason), but after Samurai maybe I'll try another of the older ones. Why did Japanese footage used to always look so much older than when that footage is adapted?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shinkenger owns, after it watch Gokaiger.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

WickedHate posted:

Why did Japanese footage used to always look so much older than when that footage is adapted?

Film stock vs Saban's use of doing everything in video, primarily.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wonder if they don't use a shot of the suits because they don't want people getting confused and thinking its Power Rangers

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zedd posted:

watch Gokaiger.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

poo poo, I should have asked about the movie when I was at Comic-Con

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Parallax posted:

I wonder if they don't use a shot of the suits because they don't want people getting confused and thinking its Power Rangers

Somebody was suggesting it's less that they don't want to and more that Saban got their fingers in the pie and aren't letting them... but absent anything even remotely resembling proof. I guess that's a reasonable conspiracy theory, if there ever was such a thing. Looking at their roughshod running of Chroma Squad suggests they are very happy to get into fights over things they have no reasonable standing in, with people who haven't the time nor money to fight back about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It did lead to the hilarious outcome of Chroma Squad having a plot arc about how Saban is literally the devil though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Except in this case I'm pretty sure they do have legal right to this stuff? Didn't Shout Factory sublicense it from them, since they own all rights to the Dairanger footage in this country? Thats the only reason I could come up with to explain them not plastering the white ranger over everything.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Elfgames posted:

Yeah but fourze didn't do poo poo and people love his show Honestly i think they're about the same quality wise, fourze is just ugly as hell and almost every character makes me want to punch them at least half the time (yeah, i know they're highchool kids and this is normal) But wizard Looks cool has cooler fights and powers and has the best belt ever.

Gen didn't do anything quite as over the top, but he made up the difference with natural charisma from his actor and the rest of the show. Haruto has the charisma of a wet paper bag.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Haruto has plenty of charisma and acting ability, whenever he was under the thumb of a different writer/director he's a LOT more expressive. Wizard's biggest problems were behind the scenes, the cast itself was quite competent.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Yeah Shunya Shiraishi is pretty good, can't fault him that half of Haruto's lines were some variation of "I'll be the last hope"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meet your new Kamen Rider, Nishime Shun.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like a dork. Thats much preferable to pretty boy so I hope they go with that.

Sigh, he's going to act like a perfect pretty boy, isn't he?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Personally, I think Tomoko's haircut looks very nice.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wizard was the first Kamen Rider I saw and I think it's a good series to start with. I liked it for the fun action that reminded me of Power Rangers and for the goofy humor that (mostly) wasn't overplayed anime jokes. My friends and I were laughing our asses off at the Christmas episode with the Santa Ex Machina, and we liked Beast. We never finished watching it though, once we got up to the episode where Haruto got the infinity dragon form the friend who had seen the show before said that the fights got samey after that point, and I guess we were going to get back to it after some point but that never ended up happening.

I can see why it might be boring and disappointing if you've seen a lot of other Kamen Rider series and it isn't as fresh and novel. I've seen a bunch of the other series now and so far I've generally liked most of the ones I've seen more than Wizard. I still find it a fun series though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Akett posted:

Wizard was the first Kamen Rider I saw and I think it's a good series to start with. I liked it for the fun action that reminded me of Power Rangers and for the goofy humor that (mostly) wasn't overplayed anime jokes. My friends and I were laughing our asses off at the Christmas episode with the Santa Ex Machina, and we liked Beast. We never finished watching it though, once we got up to the episode where Haruto got the infinity dragon form the friend who had seen the show before said that the fights got samey after that point, and I guess we were going to get back to it after some point but that never ended up happening.

I can see why it might be boring and disappointing if you've seen a lot of other Kamen Rider series and it isn't as fresh and novel. I've seen a bunch of the other series now and so far I've generally liked most of the ones I've seen more than Wizard. I still find it a fun series though.
So, your advice is literally "watch it before you know any better"?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Akett posted:

It's also not as good if your introduction to the franchise is ZO, and your first full series are Kamen Rider Black, Kuuga and V3 in that order. Just, tone wise, those four don't even belong in the same category as Wizard.

Mind you that's just my own unique introduction to the franchise. So results may vary!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

It's also not as good if your introduction to the franchise is ZO, and your first full series are Kamen Rider Black, Kuuga and V3 in that order. Just, tone wise, those four don't even belong in the same category as Wizard.

Mind you that's just my own unique introduction to the franchise. So results may vary!

hmm I'd have to say ZO & J do work fairly decently for introducing someone to the franchise in a more one-shot nature(also I just realized that I have a mighty need for Blu-Ray quality releases for Shin, ZO, and J, cause they'd look amazing in High Definition)

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wizard might be a pretty alright first series as far as Heisei goes: it still hits the typical points, you get to see the cool suits, and your choices on what to watch next only go up in quality from there. Though you'd probably want an episode guide like that one somebody made for Mazinger Z to tell you where to skip episodes because nearly everything that's not an upgrade or cast addition can be completely ignored for the better.

Personally I'd still recommend OOO, but that might be my own first-series experience talking.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 18, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard might be a pretty alright first series as far as Heisei goes: it still hits the typical points, you get to see the cool suits, and your choices on what to watch next only go up in quality from there. Though you'd probably need something like that Mazinger Z episode guide to tell you where to skip episodes because everything that's not an upgrade or cast addition is dull as gently caress.

Personally I'd still recommend OOO, but that might be my own first-series experience talking.

Drive will probably be a pretty good choice assuming it doesn't botch it's ending(seriously don't understand why that happens so often with Kamen Rider)

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

drrockso20 posted:

Drive will probably be a pretty good choice assuming it doesn't botch it's ending(seriously don't understand why that happens so often with Kamen Rider)

Yeah Drive is a great show so far and it's got enough episodes built up that someone can reasonably watch it and catch up in time for seeing the end live. Definitely not without its flaws (Gou becoming so distressingly one-note), but I can be comfortable calling it my W.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Drive seems pretty analogous to OOO in that it has a good start, but it can get a little boring in the middle. OOO ended really strong and Drive's been heading that way as well. I do feel like OOO had a stronger cast overall, but both are good shows.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Speaking of Drive, jesus this week's episode.

They're doing a really good job in making me hate Banno.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm betting Heart will never fight Tomari after his Ultimate Evolution and destroy himself as the ultimate gently caress you to Banno

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flameingblack posted:

How does the Fourze cast irritate you but you're able to deal with Shunpei?

Shunpei was awful but he was 1 awful dude in a decent cast (I don't hate the less over the top dudes like haruto.) while fourze had a whole cast full of assholes and the only bright spot was gen.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Potsticker posted:

Drive seems pretty analogous to OOO in that it has a good start, but it can get a little boring in the middle. OOO ended really strong and Drive's been heading that way as well. I do feel like OOO had a stronger cast overall, but both are good shows.

The one thing Drive is doing better is stopping that feeling most two episode arcs cause where the plot comes to a screeching halt just for the sake of the MotW surviving till the next episode. It's still flawed, but I haven't really run into my burning hate of "AHA WE GOT AWAY' like they did with the more filler-y Dopants, Greed/Yummies, and so on. Mind some sections are still slow, but I can still appreciate that much about the show as is.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

also while Drive's middle was kinda slow(between Type Formula's debut and Freeze's debut), it's better than OOO's due to Drive having much better fight choreography than OOO's(I still maintain that OOO's has the worst fight choreography in the franchise) and much better handling of it's gimmicks

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well I wouldn't put it so negatively. It's not a bad show, it's just a little weak. Haruto's good as the straight man eye of a goofy storm, but he's not exactly an effective font for drama. I may have said that I've liked other series more than it (Kabuto, Den-O, OOO and Agito come to mind), but there are some series I've liked less (Blade isn't very fun from what little I've seen but I might give it another shot, and I want to like Ryuki but the only characters I like there are Kitaoka and Goro). Mostly I'm just watching Kamen Rider to have fun, and I found Wizard fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
kishidan doing kamen rider ghost's op promises it is going to own bones

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Akett posted:

Well I wouldn't put it so negatively. It's not a bad show, it's just a little weak.

OOOs is a weak show, Wizard is bad.

Bad cast, bad fights, bad writing, the show is nothing but lost hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

drrockso20 posted:

also while Drive's middle was kinda slow(between Type Formula's debut and Freeze's debut), it's better than OOO's due to Drive having much better fight choreography than OOO's(I still maintain that OOO's has the worst fight choreography in the franchise) and much better handling of it's gimmicks

OOO's fight coreogarphy being kind of bad at first made sense; Eiji was a reluctant fighter who verged on pacifistic; giving him a super suit doesn't magically make him know Kung-Fu, all he was relying on was raw strength. Date never read Birth's Manual, either, and was just going on what he thought would work.

then Tajador shows up and Eiji tries to transition into this weird flowing martial artist that utterly clashes with his character.

Good Drive Episode; loving Banno.

• Locked thread