Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do YOU continue to watch Monday Night RAW?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy the storytelling 14 3.60%
I enjoy the athleticism 18 4.63%
I enjoy standing up for WWE 9 2.31%
I enjoy tater tots 37 9.51%
I enjoy magic beans 26 6.68%
I enjoy succatash 19 4.88%
I enjoy having something to flip to between plays on Monday Night Football 17 4.37%
I enjoy having something to flip to during commercials on NCIS 7 1.80%
I enjoy Foochs' attempts at optimism 42 10.80%
I enjoy FartBlood's attempts at erotica 17 4.37%
I enjoy hatewatching 58 14.91%
I hate enjoywatching 27 6.94%
I enjoy waiting for the off-chance that MY CLIENT BROCK LESNAR will appear 51 13.11%
I enjoy passing the time until Lucha Underground Season 2 kicks off 47 12.08%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm glad Roman finally got the big win, but he can't carry Raw anywhere near as well as Seth could promo wise and match wise. Roman's match formula is weak and predictable, which will get old very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

They could take the Brooklyn Brawler and trick fans into liking him, it really doesn't loving matter what fans think of him.

Agreed.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kinda curious about what they are going to do with Roman now until Wrestlemania.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Cena was pushed down people's throats for a decade and that's why they STOPPED liking him, not why they started liking him

thank you. this is the answer.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm glad Roman finally got the big win, but he can't carry Raw anywhere near as well as Seth could promo wise and match wise. Roman's match formula is weak and predictable, which will get old very quickly.

Agreed but I honestly think they did a great job the last two nights and Roman as champ puts a TON of excitement back into the Rumble for me.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Both those guys are good, liked by the crowd, and being pushed so what's the beef? I mean would I switch them? Yes, but still, well done.

I mean, I'm okay with this now that we've finally gotten here, but I think the point is let's not forget exactly how much poo poo happened en route to getting here and how unnecessary it would've been if they'd put the marketing engine behind someone the crowd was invested in.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
After yesterday this was the best and only ooutcome to make Roman look cool and strong. Turn up the heat even more and give him the drat strap. That he would even knock out Vince was the icing on the cake.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It's not Dean getting the belt. It's not cesaro or Sami getting the belt. But at least they got it over with

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CarlCX posted:

I mean, I'm okay with this now that we've finally gotten here, but I think the point is let's not forget exactly how much poo poo happened en route to getting here and how unnecessary it would've been if they'd put the marketing engine behind someone the crowd was invested in.

Yeah that's where I am at this point. I feel like a bunch of people that wouldn't take half the effort got torched for this one person and it feels bad.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

bartok posted:

Kinda curious about what they are going to do with Roman now until Wrestlemania.

Rematch vs sheamus at the rumble, maybe a match with HHH at Fast Lane and then probably rumble winner Brock or Cena at WM.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who the hell has gotten buried specifically for Roman Reigns? Bray Wyatt?

i mean, i get that people are getting buried, except that it usually includes Roman, who has been booked to do poo poo like cry in the middle of the ring after getting beaten up by a guy who looks stupid

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

By now I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt. Remember when during the Shield days we thought that Seth would end up in mid-card hell, cause he could wrestle well, but not talk. And oh boy did he improve his mic skills during his time as champ.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Never underestimate the "Vinny Mac gets Sucker-Punched" pop

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SylvainMustach posted:

thank you. this is the answer.

People hated Cena for his good guy demeanor and his constant push yeah, but he was there for 10 loving years, comparing a dude who was on top for that long and had the crowd that bored by him to a newcomer who's getting his very first title reign is totally absurd. The crowd ADORED Roman by the end of the night. Roman's green, I'll totally agree, but acting like this is a nightmare and that the black hole of charisma that was Sheamus was a better choice is insane.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also Cena was much, much worse than Roman as a wrestler when he first started to get pushed, iirc. I mean, Cena is better than Roman now but he was bad.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

bartok posted:

Holds the belt until the Rumble where Triple H screws him so badly that he abandons the title for vengeance, culminating in a match at Mania.

I legit have no idea who will be wrestling for the strap at Mania.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

Rematch vs sheamus at the rumble, maybe a match with HHH at Fast Lane and then probably rumble winner Brock or Cena at WM.

A Cena/Roman match sounds like it could be incredible

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Alain Post posted:

i mean, i get that people are getting buried, except that it usually includes Roman, who has been booked to do poo poo like cry in the middle of the ring after getting beaten up by a guy who looks stupid

It's not a matter of them burying Roman's opponents, it's a matter of them basically making favorites like Cesaro and Ambrose irrelevant in their quest to push him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

People hated Cena for his good guy demeanor and his constant push yeah, but he was there for 10 loving years, comparing a dude who was on top for that long and had the crowd that bored by him to a newcomer who's getting his very first title reign is totally absurd. The crowd ADORED Roman by the end of the night. Roman's green, I'll totally agree, but acting like this is a nightmare and that the black hole of charisma that was Sheamus was a better choice is insane.

This is the gospel. But people will say Roman sucks and is not over until the end of time, and the sooner we accept that the better.

I thought the title match was also good actually.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bartok posted:

A Cena/Roman match sounds like it could be incredible

I seriously think they'll do this now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OldTennisCourt posted:

You're also acting like having one crowd be over for him, on a night where they had to pull 70 year old Vince loving McMahon out of retirement to make it happen, and have the dumbest overbooking in the main event to make it happen, means he is over with crowds everywhere for good

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I think the quicker you realize that internet wrestling fans don't represent the majority of their actual customer base, the quicker you will realize how terribly wrong you are.

Agreed, Roman Reigns was super over before tonight and WWE gets amazing 5.0 ratings because the average fan is nothing like the internet fan

wait what's this

I'm picking up scattered reports that the hardcore fans are the only ones left besides children and the WWE Network model is entirely geared towards them

It was a cool Raw, but a lot of the oomph was taken out of it for me given how they just made up this stupid story about Roman Reigns getting 'screwed' and rushed through it in like six weeks after over a year of him just drifting along cutting lovely promos and no one caring about him.

The real test is what happens from here on out. Is he just John Cena rapadooooo and everyone will hate him again in no time, or do they actually let him remain a badass who just loving kills people?

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
hey, good on Roman for sticking it out through all this nonsense and waiting for his day. it's awesome for him that he got some of his biggest pops on his big night in the same place that booed the Rock for being near him.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Holds the belt until the Rumble where Triple H screws him so badly that he abandons the title for vengeance, culminating in a match at Mania.

I legit have no idea who will be wrestling for the strap at Mania.

brock vs roman

royal rumble is triple h vs roman for title. "let me get this done myself", loses

OKay this is the be all end, this is it we are taking the titel off Reigns, Brock Lesnar enters rumble loses to roman at mania

Then the try to pit Dean vs Roman until summer slam culimnating with a suprise third entrant, seth rollins for sheild triple threat for title. Roman Retains. lol

side note: last two nights have been perfect roman reigns, loved it. They can't keep it up, but at least they got a template.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

StarkRavingMad posted:

You're also acting like having one crowd be over for him, on a night where they had to pull 70 year old Vince loving McMahon out of retirement to make it happen, and have the dumbest overbooking in the main event to make it happen, means he is over with crowds everywhere for good

It's almost like wrestling is about manipulating the in-ring action to produce a crowd reaction

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Alain Post posted:

not buried but I think they deliberately never put Ambrose over in a meaningful way, and its not unreasonable to think it was so he wouldn't outshine roman.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alain Post posted:

It's almost like wrestling is about manipulating the in-ring action to produce a crowd reaction

but you can't do this level of manipulation on a nightly basis, that's why the guy they pick to be "the guy" actually has to be able to carry that weight on his own

Vince isn't going to show up to get suckerpunched every day

(edit): it's fine, forget it, I'm done arguing about this dumb show. You win. Roman Reigns is the greatest champion of all time, he's the new Stone Cold, all hail the Roman Empire, he's the bestest and all the true fans love him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Agreed, Roman Reigns was super over before tonight and WWE gets amazing 5.0 ratings because the average fan is nothing like the internet fan

wait what's this

I'm picking up scattered reports that the hardcore fans are the only ones left besides children and the WWE Network model is entirely geared towards them

It was a cool Raw, but a lot of the oomph was taken out of it for me given how they just made up this stupid story about Roman Reigns getting 'screwed' and rushed through it in like six weeks after over a year of him just drifting along cutting lovely promos and no one caring about him.

The real test is what happens from here on out. Is he just John Cena rapadooooo and everyone will hate him again in no time, or do they actually let him remain a badass who just loving kills people?

If they dragged it out people would bitch about that too and also it'd be a bad decision. Tonight was smart. They struck when the iron was the hottest it's been in a long time with Roman, clean and decisively.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

That one crowd was the smarkiest smark crowd, it's PHILADELPHIA for fucks sakes dude. Having Vince out there wasen't going to make them turn into Roman marks immediately.

quote:

(edit): it's fine, forget it, I'm done arguing about this dumb show. You win. Roman Reigns is the greatest champion of all time, he's the new Stone Cold, all hail the Roman Empire, he's the bestest and all the true fans love him

:rolleyes: No one is saying that Roman is perfect, but acting like some grand manipulation was pulled to get a crowd to organically cheer for him is ridiculous.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 15, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imagine how lovely wrestling throughout history would be if promoters never tried to manipulate the audience and just went off everyone's favorite "organic booking".

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

This but unironically, unironically

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The year is 2040. Roman Reigns is now in the Ric Flair Old Guy spot. Internet dorks are still having the same endless arguments.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alain Post posted:

Imagine how lovely wrestling throughout history would be if promoters never tried to manipulate the audience and just went off everyone's favorite "organic booking".

Like if they pushed people that audiences actually liked? Crazy loving thought, I guess.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

StarkRavingMad posted:

Cena was pushed down people's throats for a decade and that's why they STOPPED liking him, not why they started liking him
They were booing Cena heavily in 2006 for example. The crowd was against him in his feuds with Edge, Triple H, RVD, etc. Just for the record, the divisive crowd on Cena wasn't a thing that happened because it was a decade long. It's just a thing they kept going for a decade (and counting).

I dug this Raw, fun stuff and always nice to see a shake-up, and a hot crowd. And it's great to have this "Reigns era begins" bit out of the way, and it'll be interesting to see who wins the Rumble and whatnot. Just keep the flow going, keep things moving and WWE may get out of the rut they were in for a bit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Like if they pushed people that audiences actually liked? Crazy loving thought, I guess.

Yeah man that Stone Cold kid never got the rub he deserved, same with that Rocky.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

zakharov posted:

The year is 2040. Roman Reigns is now in the Ric Flair Old Guy spot. Internet dorks are still having the same endless arguments.

Gets ripped apart in his retirement match by Vince McMahon who has used his billionaire powers to replace is failing body with cybernetic parts.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah man that Stone Cold kid never got the rub he deserved, same with that Rocky.

Clearly, Roman is the next Stone Cold and Rock combined! ALL HAIL THE ROMAN EMPIRE! As I said, you all have totally convinced me, he is the dreamiest. I'm going to go make a tumblr about how awesome he is.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

you mean like a guy who closes out shows to raucous cheers and applause, even in smarky cities like Boston and Philadelphia? gee, when will that ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You watch a wrestling show which is scripted, edited, and manipulated to the point where matches are edited and backstage vignettes look like actual movies, and you think wrestling isn't about manipulating the audience.

• Locked thread