Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Shageletic posted:

That's kind of tame by Cinemo Discusso standards.

The Reddit standard (oh god) considers injuries of three or more to count as a mass shooting. The FBI considers four or more KILLED to be a mass shooting. The former also disregards the intention behind the act, lumping in crime figures and crimes of familial passion and the like.

Here's the FBI's definition, according to their website.

This further separates the two figures, by focusing more on the intent of the perpetrator. I mean, that still means we're getting a shitload of mass shooting events, compared to other developed countries. 6 or more is crazy. But 355 is plainly not right, and contributes to a state of hysteria in our culture about the subject.

EDIT: The governmental standard has actually been reduced to THREE killed, not four.

state of hysteria being that some people find it odd that 30k+ a year are injured or killed by firearms without any change in sight?

edit: lmao thats not even correct, its 30k+ deaths a year, the injuries not resulting in death are 3-4 times that per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Pictured below: Shocking image of the American government executing its citizens without due process.

:nms: :nms:

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Honestly, you see this happen all the time in academia as well as the miscellaneous sphere of intelligensia that circles academe. Someone comes up with a single good idea or model (in Silver's case, a basic polling model that, shocker, actually controls for polling house accuracy), everyone sucks their dick for a few years and throws accolades and money at them, eventually their bubble bursts as people slowly realize that a single good model/idea is not intrinsically a predictor of future performance for, say, running a major media site that revolves around turning "data"/sports stats into "news" as fast as humanly possible. (Really good in-depth data analysis and research can take years.)

Then they hang around for a decade or so since their name still possesses sufficient amounts of intrinsic value that they can keep riding on that legacy. (Nate Silver will be called into CNN for every year leading up to the next two elections at the least.)

See also: Nassim Taleb, Jared Diamond, etc.

What's the deal with Jared Diamond. I thought Guns Steel and Germs was fascinating. Did he go dumb afterwards? I have Collapse collecting dust on my shelf, is it worth reading?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ogmius815 posted:

Nate Silver is good at one thing: using polls to project presidential elections. Once he can start doing that again D&D will come crawling back.

Alternatively you can follow Voteomatic which did unweighted averages of all polls and also got the numbers exactly

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Typical Pubbie posted:

Pictured below: Shocking image of the American government executing its citizens without due process.

you mean

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

joeburz posted:

state of hysteria being that some people find it odd that 30k+ a year are injured or killed by firearms without any change in sight?

edit: lmao thats not even correct, its 30k+ deaths a year, the injuries not resulting in death are 3-4 times that per year

I'm talking about mass shooting, not generalized gun violence. And something needs to be done in either case.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

That is more accurate, yes.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Typical Pubbie posted:

:flashfap:

Hit em again Willie!!!

joeburz posted:

you mean

:smith:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

joeburz posted:

you mean

He was a hardened criminal and thus deserved it. :foxnews:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Happy birthday, Ted Cruz.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Taerkar posted:

He was a hardened criminal and thus deserved it. :foxnews:

I'm pretty sure the Fox News take was "the liberals killed him by taxing cigarettes." That or "he died because he was fat."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fiction posted:

I think TDD is just angry that Obama will never have a catastrophic foreign policy fuckup that will temper the Democrats' election chances for decades to come.

*checks congressional, state legislative, gubernatorial elections since 2009*

*silently mouths "wow"*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Junkyard Poodle posted:

What's the deal with Jared Diamond. I thought Guns Steel and Germs was fascinating. Did he go dumb afterwards? I have Collapse collecting dust on my shelf, is it worth reading?

GG&S is a good introduction to the effect of geography on the rise and fall of civilizations but is hardly the end all-be all it was once touted as.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Due process isn't a citizen-only thing.

Never said it was.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Any of you ever see Secret Honor? A one man show with Nixon going crazy. It's on Hulu and it owns

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

GG&S is a good introduction to the effect of geography on the rise and fall of civilizations but is hardly the end all-be all it was once touted as.

It should be treated as like a 101-level book.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It'll be pretty fun to watch the ol' goon consensus swing back to Silver being right and good after July.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

Never said it was.

then why is "we killed an American" mentioned as if it matters?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Iron Rose posted:

oh good we're talking about drones again I get to repost my standard "the extrajudicial argument is total bullshit"

Thank you for this post, this is a good post.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

It should be treated as like a 101-level book.

What's a good follow up?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

oh good we're talking about drones again I get to repost my standard "the extrajudicial argument is total bullshit"

This is a really good post. Thanks.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I have good news and bad news, the good news is that if you were curious about the inner working of the Kathryn Knott trial it's pretty much all out in the open now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphia/comments/3xdp7b/i_was_juror_4_on_the_kathryn_knott_trial_ama/

The bad news is that because of this she might get off. From what it sounds they thought she did it and wanted to convict on the more serious charges but one juror hosed everything up, in addition to this juror possibly further loving things up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
FDR: "I welcome their hatred." Bernie: "I welcome their dislike."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSDctzd7_k

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Oh hey... Muslims and Sikhs just lost the right to opt-out of those airport scanners.

Yeah, yeah, the regulation only states broadly that TSA can require some passengers to go through the machines or be refused boarding "as warranted by security considerations in order to safeguard transportation security", but I think it's pretty easy to figure out what those "security considerations" will be.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

I have good news and bad news, the good news is that if you were curious about the inner working of the Kathryn Knott trial it's pretty much all out in the open now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphia/comments/3xdp7b/i_was_juror_4_on_the_kathryn_knott_trial_ama/

The bad news is that because of this she might get off. From what it sounds they thought she did it and wanted to convict on the more serious charges but one juror hosed everything up, in addition to this juror possibly further loving things up.

The OP got taken down. What did it say?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

All of the details are still there in the posts by [deleted]

quote:

See I dont know her, never heard of her before this trial, and luckily for her I based all of my judgement on her from the trial alone. With only those few days, it seems like I drew the same opinion of her that everyone who follows the news did. When she took the stand, it was clear she was a liar.

Well they were mostly obstructing justice because of their personal feelings and bias. We even reported them to the official and we basically just got a talk from the judge about working together, but nothing really changed. The charges you see are a huge compromise because of 1 juror

At one point, one of the jurors said "I don't care if she did it I don't feel right sending her to jail." And they kept comparing it to the case to things that had happened to their family, or get emotional about their own lives, but it had nothing to do with evidence. They kept ignoring evidence, that was the biggest struggle.

We were all extremely upset about it, and this one woman in particular was just so stupid. You could read her the same law over and over again, and she'd say "I just don't see it that way."

Actually quite the opposite, she was this 46 year old lady from the 5th and lehigh area. She was so wrapped up in parts of the trial that made no difference to the law. Like the fact that Andrew's bag was stolen at the scene of the incident. It had ZERO bearing on any charge but she kept saying things like "I just can't get past this bag being stolen". We'd say things like "That has nothing to do with anything!" and then she'd yell and accuse us of trying to bully her into a different opinion. We left the deliberation room with the opinion that She hosed this thing up majorly, and there was nothing we could do about it.

etc, there's a ton more.

It's ironic that they sound like they were better educated and able to analyze this case than some of the other jurors described but then went out and made the idiotic decision to make an AMA before the trial was even over, possibly ruining the entire case.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Joementum posted:

It'll be pretty fun to watch the ol' goon consensus swing back to Silver being right and good after July.
Even if you're right, and "The Party Decides" hypothesis wins the day, the certainty with which you guys speak is grating as gently caress, and not remotely justified. Trump's been leading nationally in the polls since summer, has had a solid lead for that long in NH as well, leads in SC, has a lock on poor Republicans with no degree, ties among Republican degree-holders, etc etc.

I don't doubt that the GOP establishment will do everything it can to screw him (or schlong him, rather) out of the nomination. I also realize that earlier polls are not terribly predictive. But the GOPe is not all-powerful, and the "too early to poll" excuse is wearing thin - we're 5 1/2 weeks from IA and 6 1/2 weeks from NH. Your obstinance here (and Nate's) is starting to look less like a rational certainty in your belief, and more like a commitment to a narrative that you have, or that you think you have, staked your ego and your reputation on.

If you end up right, great. FWIW, personally I reckon the odds of that at greater than half. But especially in 538's case they are staking out a position that's going to make them look pretty stupid if they're wrong - and not because they were wrong but because they were so sure they were right.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

TheDisreputableDog posted:

*checks congressional, state legislative, gubernatorial elections since 2009*

*silently mouths "wow"*

If you think the current political economy for the Republicans is sustainable when their current front runner is Donald J Trump then I don't know what to tell you

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Pacific Standard has a summary of a series of ProPublica and NPR articles this year, detailing the dismantling of worker's comp. Some of this has been discussed in passing already.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Guns Germs and Steel was garbage as far as academic history is concerned, in that it takes a strawman of what historians believed 60 years ago, exaggerates it further, and then goes too far and too simplistically against it. That's fine insofar as it's pop history, but not easy to reproduce.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

berzerker posted:

Guns Germs and Steel was garbage as far as academic history is concerned, in that it takes a strawman of what historians believed 60 years ago, exaggerates it further, and then goes too far and too simplistically against it. That's fine insofar as it's pop history, but not easy to reproduce.

Are there any more academic books that try to cover the same subject matter? I really enjoyed the book but I know that it has a lot of flaws.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kilroy posted:

Even if you're right, and "The Party Decides" hypothesis wins the day, the certainty with which you guys speak is grating as gently caress, and not remotely justified. Trump's been leading nationally in the polls since summer, has had a solid lead for that long in NH as well, leads in SC, has a lock on poor Republicans with no degree, ties among Republican degree-holders, etc etc.

I don't doubt that the GOP establishment will do everything it can to screw him (or schlong him, rather) out of the nomination. I also realize that earlier polls are not terribly predictive. But the GOPe is not all-powerful, and the "too early to poll" excuse is wearing thin - we're 5 1/2 weeks from IA and 6 1/2 weeks from NH. Your obstinance here (and Nate's) is starting to look less like a rational certainty in your belief, and more like a commitment to a narrative that you have, or that you think you have, staked your ego and your reputation on.

If you end up right, great. FWIW, personally I reckon the odds of that at greater than half. But especially in 538's case they are staking out a position that's going to make them look pretty stupid if they're wrong - and not because they were wrong but because they were so sure they were right.

I actually meant because come July he'll be telling goons what they want to hear (Hillary will win) rather than what they don't want to hear (Donald Trump won't win).

I spent most of 2012 telling people that Nate's proprietary polling model was needlessly complex and overstated Obama's lead.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

MaxxBot posted:

Are there any more academic books that try to cover the same subject matter? I really enjoyed the book but I know that it has a lot of flaws.

Subject matter being what? Historical geography? Overall civilizational theories? I could look up the former, but for the latter, not really. Historians don't believe (these days) in grand theories and simple monocausal explanations. History just isn't that simple, however satisfying it is to think you understand everything via one theory or book. (This is also why dogmatic Marxism was so popular and is dumb and bad history.)

But poli sci and sociology loving love broad overstated theories so probably they could point you to stuff like that, as long as you also like opaque and yet thin quantitative data tables "supporting" these too general theories.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Joementum posted:

I spent most of 2012 telling people that Nate's proprietary polling model was needlessly complex and overstated Obama's lead.

I thought you spent most of 2012 deleting anime bestiality posts? Or was that not the time you were a mod?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MaxxBot posted:

The book thread used to (probably still does) recommend Fourteen Ninety-Two by James Blaut.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rappaport posted:

I thought you spent most of 2012 deleting anime bestiality posts? Or was that not the time you were a mod?

That happened in 2013 and they were ponies not animes you Philistine!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Joementum posted:

That happened in 2013 and they were ponies not animes you Philistine!

Hey, you deleted them, it's not like I could go back and look >:|

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

poo poo like this pisses me off. Party of fiscal responsibility strikes again by ignoring a root cause, letting it blow up into a nasty mess, causing people suffer, and lastly giving tax payers the outrageous bill.

PS I'm extra sensitive to this since my dad was nearly killed on the job a few days before Christmas when I was a kid.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 23, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

poo poo like this pisses me off. Party of fiscal responsibility strikes again by ignoring a root cause, letting it blow up into a nasty mess, causing people suffer, and lastly giving tax payers the outrageous bill.

PS I'm extra sensitive to this since my dad was nearly killed on the job a few days before Christmas when I was a kid.

Republicans are only fiscally conservative towards the 1%. If you're not a millionaire then :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The Iron Rose posted:

This is an awesome post. It has actually led me to reconsider my position on the al-Awlaki drone strike. What rubs me the wrong way, however, is two things. First, is the level of secrecy involved in modern anti-terrorism drone strikes versus the "send in the military" actions of the civil war. And second is the lack of confrontation in the drone strikes. Perhaps these come from a total misunderstanding, but let me elaborate.

1, Secrecy)
The modern drone campaign is more or less based on the government saying "this person is doing or was planning to do really bad things that we can't reveal for good reasons." Rather than during the civil war when a vast majority (if not all?) of people killed were clearly rebelling.

2, Confrontation)
When the army shows up at your house to drag you away for organizing a rebellion, you can at least go peacefully. On the other hand, when a bomb shows up out of seemingly no where with your morning coffee you can't choose to surrender.

These distinctions are important to me because the combination of the two means that the government can simply say that anyone, anywhere was doing bad things that cannot be revealed and those people don't even get the chance to profess their innocence peacefully. Article III, Section 3 of the Constitution exists to prevent the government from simply saying that so-and-so is guilty of treason and was shot down for good reason. I'm not saying that section applies here, but legal or not, I don't like the road the al-Awlaki drone strike leads down and I feel like we have been down this road before.

Edit: Since it appears to have already come up I want to make clear that the foregoing is not an argument for whether the al-Awlaki drone strike was legal or not based on a difference in war making during the civil war and today. I am actually rather convinced by The Iron Rose's argument that the drone strike was probably legal. What concerns me is that the legality is based on laws that were enacted when life in general and warfare in particular were very different. And further, how the current methods being used in the "war on terror" work is similar to the way that treason "worked" pre-Constitution. A system so feared/detested that the conditions for conviction were explicitly laid out in the constitution in order to prevent it.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread