Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RD ver.ANIME non-Char Zaku II is finally up for preorders on Hobbysearch, and I've preordered mine. :toot:

(Yeah, I know, it's not plamo. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The RD ver.ANIME non-Char Zaku II is finally up for preorders on Hobbysearch, and I've preordered mine. :toot:

(Yeah, I know, it's not plamo. :v:)

It's kind of an odd decision to try to make it as anime-accurate as possible, and then cover it in extra panel lines.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Is the RG 00R a decent kit? I don't know why, but I've been all over s2 of 00 for the last few weeks. I know its hot garbage, but that super sword busting up a meteor gets me hot in the collar.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

From everything I've read the 00 rg is a fantastic kit and is likely the best Rg made to date.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

...Age 3? That's hardly beefy at all.

Age 4 though, goddamn, I like that. I also really like that white prototype exia with the ribbons everywhere. :swoon:
Oh it's labeled as the Age4 there, I did mean that beefy beautiful son of a gun there. :swoon:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slightpirate posted:

Is the RG 00R a decent kit? I don't know why, but I've been all over s2 of 00 for the last few weeks. I know its hot garbage, but that super sword busting up a meteor gets me hot in the collar.

I second the "it's incredible" statement.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Reds posted:

Personally I think I would have preferred any of those besides the uncoloured one to get in over the final Exia. I find most of 00's Gundams really boring.

What slander, the final Exia is perfect

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

TaurusOxford posted:

I second the "it's incredible" statement.

Does it come with a stand for the Raiser? I'll pick up a shiny green 1/144 stand for the 00.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lessail posted:

What slander, the final Exia is perfect

If it's so perfect, how come Amazing Exia is better?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

slightpirate posted:

Does it come with a stand for the Raiser? I'll pick up a shiny green 1/144 stand for the 00.

Unfortunately it doesn't.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

The Amazing Exia...

isn't that Amazing

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

The Amazing Exia...

isn't that Amazing

It might be Amazing, but it's not A-meijin

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Heero you might, uh, want to do something about your right arm.

RG Wing vEW appears to be capable of holding up its buster rifle unassisted, so it's automatically miles better than the MG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why would they put Heero on the blue runner? That's gonna be a nightmare for anyone who wants to paint that. Good to hear that Wing ver. ka finally learned to hold his buster rifle though without needing superglue and having his shoulder joint rotated 180 degrees.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

slightpirate posted:

Literally the only problem I've had is the raiser parts being a little prone to falling off on the shoulders, but I'm 90% sure that's my fault

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would they put Heero on the blue runner? That's gonna be a nightmare for anyone who wants to paint that. Good to hear that Wing ver. ka finally learned to hold his buster rifle though without needing superglue and having his shoulder joint rotated 180 degrees.

The Wing Zero RG can manage to hold its buster rifles without any droop as well.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Reds posted:

it's not, but all exia variants are welcome :)

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Amazing Exia's extra blue makes it far better than stock Exia, but Dark Matter sucks. Bad colours, bad redesign.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you don't like Edgia, I don't know what to say.

It has fire and ice swords.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Amazing Exia's extra blue makes it far better than stock Exia, but Dark Matter sucks. Bad colours, bad redesign.

I like it because it's a crappy edgelord mess that doesn't really fit the show the original suit design is from. I mean, have you seen the guy who green-lit it? The MG in particular is this great mix of obnoxious tryhard and genuine intimidation factor.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is there an international ban on plain regular Wing Zero? I've just about had it with all of this EW nonsense. At least I can still find the HGAC kits pretty easily.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Consider getting into resin if you're that broken up about it.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
What's the general consensus on products like Vallejo Metallic Medium that add a metallic effect to regular acrylic paints? Are they reliable? I'm still deciding what colors I want to paint some of my backlog, and if it's a good product then it would open up the metallic colors I could use significantly. Thanks in advance~.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I've never had a problem with it, it's essentially just acrylic medium and the the metal flake/particles used to make that work. Just make sure you shake/mix well, I'd probably go so far as to make up a separate bottle of the color so you can fine-tune your ratio and then have something repeatable, rather than just do guesswork in an airbrush cup every time.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Okay =) i'll likely pick some up. Going to have to get some dropper bottles or other containers. My paint pots are too small.

I'm prepping my Zaku for priming. First, I'm priming the visible joints and other visible metal parts to paint steel. Also painting the tubes steel. Then i'm going to build the components that need to be cemented around the joints. I'll have to mask them when I'm priming the whole parts.

Used the Tamiya cement to cement the gun halves and oh my god it's amazing. Letting it sit for a bit but I know all it'll need is a little sanding. Don't know why I didn't just order it off the internet when my hobby shop didn't have it before.

I finished my little brother's Denial Gundam that he left here (save the plavsky effects and variant hands. It is incredibly flexible and stylish, but stiff to the point of being difficult to pose.

Also built my Petitg'guy, they're adorable. I got Burning Red :kimchi:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lately I've been following the works of some artist on twitter called kuramo kyoryu. In between endless pictures of cats, they put up some redesigns of various mecha. In particular, they did a bunch of silly stuff with the Wing crew.

Behold:

A Heavyarms that literally turns into a gatling gun,

a Deathscythe that can turn into a coffin (they got a response from some dude actually trying to make this :v:),

a Sandrock that combines with Maganacs,

a Shenlong that turns into a dragon,

and this crazy Wing that can combine with the Mercurius' shield and the Vayeate's gun for what I can only assume to be a god drat tank.

Also it looks like the Mercurius/Vayeate literally fold themselves up into their weapons somehow? Or maybe they split up their parts? I can see the Vayeate's legs attached to the gun here and maybe its... shoulders?

They also did the Tallgeese and the Leo. Not really a fan of how thin his TGs are (or the TGIII's colors), but I guess the resemblance is even more blatant now.

The person has a pretty neat art style and is pretty creative. It'd be cool if they someday became the next Katoki.

In more gunpla related news, Daban will release their PG Unicorn LED set for $30 around February to March. Their bootleg PG Unicorn is whatever, but if those LEDs work that'd be really great.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That Sandrock is :krad:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The last five suits of my G-Reco collection are now complete!

Let's run 'em down:

The G-Self is notorious for its number of stickers, and I can confirm that the rumours are true, but they are, by and large, not especially difficult stickers, and they're often concealed behind transparent plastic. It was with the Space Pack that I ran into trouble - there are some very fiddly stickers and small parts that you need to attach before the manual advises you to. Poseability is perfectly serviceable, although you will need the stand that comes with the Space Pack if you want to fit that (like I did), and the Pack's weight will result in your Gundam permanently rearing back slightly, but that's not a big deal. The end result speaks for itself, though - it's a very nice centrepiece for your Reconguista collection.

The G-Arcane mostly lives up to its reputation as a simple, well-engineered kit with tonnes of options, and I'd like to add to that that it's quite sticker-light - the head stickers are small and fiddly, but you do get used to them, and you're almost done once you put them all on. I will note, though, that the backpack with the folding nose-cone can be quite tricky to assemble - I got it done in the end, but not before it had popped apart half a dozen times.

The G-Lucifer's engineering is just as elegant as the suit itself - it's a dream to assemble, with minimal parts deployed for the maximum effect, and the stickers are few and relatively user-friendly. I'd call it a perfect beginner suit if it wasn't for the tiny, easy-to-lose thrusters and beam saber emitters on the skirt funnels. I managed them fine, but I can see how they might cause problems.

The Lucifer's sister from Venus, the Gastima, is definitely not for beginners, though. The stickers are OK (although you should attach the eye-sticker afterputting the two parts of the face-plate together, so you have a better idea of where it goes - this is important) - but the assembly is complex, and you're forced to pay careful attention to both the manual and the colour photos of the finished suit. In particular, there are two pairs of runners that are identical except for their colour, and if you can't read Japanese, you'll have to look closely at the photos and illustrations to get a better grasp of what parts go where. Similarly, knotting the power cables to the right length is something of a matter of guesswork, and I think I got it right more through luck than judgement. The finished suit is pretty great, though, and the niggles are largely unimportant. The huge shoulders limit poseability, but not by as much as you might fear, and while it would have been nice if the rifle had had stickers or coloured parts to make it more show-accurate, let's be honest here - if you've got a Gastima, it's not because you want to give it the rifle.

The Gaeon is, again, for experienced modellers only. It doesn't play any dirty tricks on you like the Gastima with its coloured runners, but it has lots and lots of little pieces that you have to put together with painstaking care and attention to detail. Even glancing at the runners as they come out of the box is an exercise in intimidation when you're more used to simple HG builds. The stickers aren't all that user-friendly, either, although I was lucky enough that they didn't present any major problems. The finished kit, as you can see, is quite capable of standing on its own two feet, even if it requires some slightly delicate posing, and while the waist joint is a single (heavily-reinforced) pivot rather than the usual pair of ball joints in order to support the massive Big Arm Unit, I've never personally had much use for my kits being able to bend up and down at the waist. The wrists on the regular arms and the 'shoulders' on the Big Arm Unit are a little floppy, though, which can be an issue when posing the rifle and means that you want to be a little careful in how you angle the wing-hands. No big deal, though. Oh, and this thing is loving huge in a way that pictures can't adequately express. Hell of a display piece.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Lately I've been following the works of some artist on twitter called kuramo kyoryu. In between endless pictures of cats, they put up some redesigns of various mecha. In particular, they did a bunch of silly stuff with the Wing crew.

Behold:

A Heavyarms that literally turns into a gatling gun,

a Deathscythe that can turn into a coffin (they got a response from some dude actually trying to make this :v:),

a Sandrock that combines with Maganacs,

a Shenlong that turns into a dragon,

and this crazy Wing that can combine with the Mercurius' shield and the Vayeate's gun for what I can only assume to be a god drat tank.

Also it looks like the Mercurius/Vayeate literally fold themselves up into their weapons somehow? Or maybe they split up their parts? I can see the Vayeate's legs attached to the gun here and maybe its... shoulders?

They also did the Tallgeese and the Leo. Not really a fan of how thin his TGs are (or the TGIII's colors), but I guess the resemblance is even more blatant now.

The person has a pretty neat art style and is pretty creative. It'd be cool if they someday became the next Katoki.

In more gunpla related news, Daban will release their PG Unicorn LED set for $30 around February to March. Their bootleg PG Unicorn is whatever, but if those LEDs work that'd be really great.

I like everything going on in this post.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Huh. Does the GM Cannon only come with waterslides? I thought the blue-backs were dry transfers, but I applied one and rubbed it over several times and nothing came off.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Huh. Does the GM Cannon only come with waterslides? I thought the blue-backs were dry transfers, but I applied one and rubbed it over several times and nothing came off.

Blue-backs are always waterslides.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

P-Bandai kits usually come with waterslides.

If it didn't come with a sheet of wax paper, it's not a dry transfer.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Right, ok. It's been a while since I've built a kit. Shame, I don't like waterslides- I know most prefer em but I'm a lazy snap-build-and-ink poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I just started getting into Gundam kits. I just built an HG rx 78 and had a great time doing it, and I want to get a few more HG's before I move into the MG's, but as someone who is a novice to this, would getting the master grades be getting in over my head? I'm not looking to doing painting or anything like that. Just some panel lining. How long should I expect an MG to take me.

Also what are your thoughts on the RG kits. The price point is nice but those skeleton's seem like a pain.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You should be able to take on an MG fine. It will probably take ~3-5 times longer to make than an HG.

I haven't built any, but RGs are basically MGs at RG scale. A lot of people here like them but there are some kits that are particularly fiddly to build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

You should be able to take on an MG fine. It will probably take ~3-5 times longer to make than an HG.

I haven't built any, but RGs are basically MGs at RG scale. A lot of people here like them but there are some kits that are particularly fiddly to build.

The only prerequisites you need to build an RG are a bit of practice with an HG kit or two, decent tweezers, ideally a low surface to work on like a coffee table (bits can and will try to ping off into the ether), and a varied lexicon of profanity to belt out at difficult moments during assembly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

So I just started getting into Gundam kits. I just built an HG rx 78 and had a great time doing it, and I want to get a few more HG's before I move into the MG's, but as someone who is a novice to this, would getting the master grades be getting in over my head? I'm not looking to doing painting or anything like that. Just some panel lining. How long should I expect an MG to take me.

Also what are your thoughts on the RG kits. The price point is nice but those skeleton's seem like a pain.

MGs, with a couple exceptions, don't really require more skills than hgs. They do take longer though

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

More than that though, for preorder customers, Daban will throw in a free pg full armor set. So for 100bux you get an LED set, their PG Unicorn, and the web exclusive FA set, and right now, they might not be selling the FA set on its own? Might be your last chance to get it if you're interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Electric Lady posted:

What's the general consensus on products like Vallejo Metallic Medium that add a metallic effect to regular acrylic paints? Are they reliable? I'm still deciding what colors I want to paint some of my backlog, and if it's a good product then it would open up the metallic colors I could use significantly. Thanks in advance~.

It makes things look speckly metallic. It's better than having to custom mix clear colors and hope for the best over chrome, but not by extremely much.

If you have an airbrush, Alclad's candy colors will blow your mind, but if you want a flake metallic look, the Vallejo metal medium goes in at 50% of your paints' totals before thinning. Example: you want a metallic orange, and you've made it with 20 drops of red, 20 drops of yellow. You use 20 drops of metallic medium, and thin at a ratio appropriate for 60 drops total (in my normal use that'd be 18 drops of airbrush thinner and maybe 20 of flow improver for good measure). Might require more metallic medium, as the directions say it's at least 50%. It may also require more thinner since it's very low viscosity, dense stuff. I honestly haven't really used it much since I got really into airbrushing, so YMMV.

After snapfitting the bootleg 1/100 Moebius Zero, oh dear lord avoid bootlegs forever if you can. At least from whatever the heck brand made this one. The plastic is weird and doesn't really bead as well as Bandai's, the fit and engineering are awful, and it sure as hell requires cement for many parts. It's basically a normal non-Gunpla model in that it requires putty, cleaning up molding flash, putty to fill sink marks, etc. But then again, the 144 is super tiny and requires the same extra garbage anyway.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 11, 2016