Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

blue squares posted:

I'm starting to stall out on Recognitions already. The tone of this book varies a lot from page to page.

hallelujah there is something good in this gosh dang god empty world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hey, Italo Calvino fans, he wrote an essay on why you should read this month's BotM:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762828&pagenumber=1#post455837730

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

listen to NPR then nerds

NERDS

NPR is only good at certain times of day. That particular pasture is mined with cow pies like The Takeaway with John "More Like HACKenberry!" Hockenberry.

e: On weekends I guess there's Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 4, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

at the date posted:

NPR is only good at certain times of day. That particular pasture is mined with cow pies like The Takeaway with John "More Like HACKenberry!" Hockenberry.

Prairie hasn't been funny in two decades and Car Talk is a zombie show.

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Whaddya Know are both Good Shows, though.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Prairie hasn't been funny in two decades and Car Talk is a zombie show.

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Whaddya Know are both Good Shows, though.

Wrong-o. Prairie is still great. The Tales from Lake Woebegone segment in the San Francisco show a couple weeks ago was mesmerizing. Car Talk is still better than pretty much everything else on the radio. Those other two are beneath the dignity of criticism and I'm convinced you're trolling.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

at the date posted:

Wrong-o. Prairie is still great. The Tales from Lake Woebegone segment in the San Francisco show a couple weeks ago was mesmerizing. Car Talk is still better than pretty much everything else on the radio. Those other two are beneath the dignity of criticism and I'm convinced you're trolling.

Same but the opposite opinion.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Swillkitsch posted:

Hello literature thread, I finished The Brothers Karamazov yesterday and it made me emotional. Cannot believe there was a sequel planned that never happened, I am basically having the problems I usually have with cancelled comic books with actual books for grown-ups.

Oh man the part near the end where Ivan goes crazy and talks to the devil.

Re: 19th century russian sequels, if that upset you, I hope you never find out what happened to Dead Souls 2

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

I'm starting to stall out on Recognitions already. The tone of this book varies a lot from page to page.

Yeah, been there. Maybe we should get a thread together and do a scheduled reading so we can all prop each other up when it gets tough.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

Yeah, been there. Maybe we should get a thread together and do a scheduled reading so we can all prop each other up when it gets tough.

I don't like turning my favorite hobby into what feels like work or an obligation. I prefer to read whatever I feel like reading. That means I sometimes have four or five books going at once.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Actually reading must feel like really hard work as you slowly climb the mountains of canon
Only occasionally shall you ironically partake in frivolous joys of plebeians
This is real literature

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

mallamp posted:

Actually reading must feel like really hard work as you slowly climb the mountains of canon
This is real literature

That's stupid talk bro. Even knows lit readers are the literary equivalent of nazi mountaineers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What bit aren't you liking?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TresTristesTigres posted:

Re: 19th century russian sequels, if that upset you, I hope you never find out what happened to Dead Souls 2

What we have is flat out bad and it'd been better if Gogol had managed to burn it all

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

at the date posted:

I live near Philly so I get WHYY which is basically god's version of NPR

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

What bit aren't you liking?

Chapter 2 onward. I'm on page 86 now

but on a positive note, I am loving Sophia this time around. I read the first half last night and will finish it today. I've never had such a turnaround with a book before in a such a short time. I guess it goes to show that some books have to be approached with the proper mindset.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 4, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

This is real literature

Reading so called "real" literature is an absolute chore, but I'm afraid its got to be done.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Chapter 2 onward. I'm on page 86 now

but on a positive note, I am loving Sophia this time around. I read the first half last night and will finish it today. I've never had such a turnaround with a book before in a such a short time. I guess it goes to show that some books have to be approached with the proper mindset.

yeah boi

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

whenever I find highbrow book that's actually entertaining or that entertaining book I read was highbrow, I'm so happy, like when I found out there's John Updike Society. Whenever I read Joyce I become depressed but do it anyway. I guess I'm depressed anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What makes a book entertaining for you? For me, great prose and metaphors is entertaining, good dialogue, variety in the characters. I don't need a fast-paced plot or even any plot at all, though of course that helps.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Here's a handy guide if you're wondering if something is highbrow: If I like it, it's highbrow, if I don't like it, it's low class garbage for babies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

What makes a book entertaining for you? For me, great prose and metaphors is entertaining, good dialogue, variety in the characters. I don't need a fast-paced plot or even any plot at all, though of course that helps.

I've said before I would rather read 500 pages of the most-well developed character sitting on a chair alone than 200 pages of a big exciting adventure with poorly developed characters.

Characters, their development, and the authenticity of their relationships and interactions is my prime interest.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There's a reason Ulysses is considered by many the greatest novel ever written (at least in English)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, I am really enjoying City on Fire and the plot is great but I find myself getting caught up on some of the characters because they strike me as a little inauthentic

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I am really enjoying City on Fire and the plot is great but I find myself getting caught up on some of the characters because they strike me as a little inauthentic

excuse me but there is a really fantastic thread that is perfect for posts like this. Just kidding, it's topical to what we're talking about here. Yeah, you have a point. Some of the characters are less of characters and more of plot-drivers. But Larry and Charlie are great.

Do you like Pynchon? Because I feel like his characters are deliberately inauthentic. Maybe that's part of his postmodernism, in that pomo fiction is self-aware of its fictionality. But his characters exist more to make literary and philosophical points rather than to exist in the world of the book

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 4, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If you want honest non-ironical answer: I want to relate to the characters (Updike), or either escape reality (Dickens, sf) or get interesting views on it (pomo). If it's all language then I don't really give a poo poo, but sure I'll read it if it hgelps me graduate one day

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

whenever I find highbrow book that's actually entertaining or that entertaining book I read was highbrow, I'm so happy, like when I found out there's John Updike Society. Whenever I read Joyce I become depressed but do it anyway. I guess I'm depressed anyway.

Personally I have never remotely enjoyed reading a "highbrow" book, but I read them anyway because I want to lord it over the people in other threads in this forum.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

excuse me but there is a really fantastic thread that is perfect for posts like this. Just kidding, it's topical to what we're talking about here. Yeah, you have a point. Some of the characters are less of characters and more of plot-drivers. But Larry and Charlie are great.

I am struggling with Charlie. I cannot tell if he is an obnoxiously flat character or a really well written obnoxious person

quote:

Do you like Pynchon? Because I feel like his characters are deliberately inauthentic. Maybe that's part of his postmodernism, in that pomo fiction is self-aware of its fictionality. But his characters exist more to make literary and philosophical points rather than to exist in the world of the book

tragic confession, I have only read 1 Pynchon and its Calling of Lot 49

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

Personally I have never remotely enjoyed reading a "highbrow" book, but I read them anyway because I want to lord it over the people in other threads in this forum.

Nice, me too

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mason & Dixon is the Pynchon book with Characters and it's really good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I fee like highbrow is a bitch term for people who don't like a book but want to look intellectual for having read it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lowbrow, middlebrow, and highbrow are judgements of social status more than the book itself

highbrow - I didn't like it but reading it makes me look smart
middlebrow - I liked it but I don't feel like I can act smart for having read it
lowbrow - I didn't like it and I want to feel better than people who did

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

To make this simpler do what I did and shave off your eyebrows

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think Charlie is a well written obnoxious character. He's a teenager who's experienced a traumatic event and is lashing out rather than confronting it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah Charlie is a great character. He is an inherently good person who feels betrayed by the world and is doing whatever he can to find someone who will approve of him. He also struggles with being in love with someone who he thinks doesn't love him back, which for a teenage boy is really lovely and makes you question your self-worth

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Mason & Dixon is the Pynchon book with Characters and it's really good.

Actually, the thing that makes Mason & Dixon good is the tangents on 18th century surveying techniques.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

I think Charlie is a well written obnoxious character. He's a teenager who's experienced a traumatic event and is lashing out rather than confronting it.

Yeah I am leaning towards this. I am glad they finally gave Amory a chapter because he was really poorly developed up until then but I still find his way of talking too explicitly villainous and less "this is a real dude"

Also the minor cop characters all talk like a 70s police show and I kinda roll my eyes at that

Its weird I keep nitpicking it like this when I really do really like the book but otherwise it would just be like "yup guys still really good"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm about 200 pages into A Little Life and I feel like this book is ramping up to wreck my poo poo, emotionally.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You have no idea

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

little life is next after ferrante vol. 2

god my soul is gonna get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah keep that avatar imo