Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Can someone tell me in a vague sense what my priorities should be during my first spring?

Growing potatoes. Mine, gather wood, forage and fish after watering. Upgrade your tools asap but make sure you're going to upgrade the watering can when it's going to rain the following day and after you've watered your crops. That way the rain day falls on the day you can't pick up the can from Clint, and you can the following day and then water your crops.

I recommend always upgrading your pick first, since it makes it require less swings to break rocks and ores in the mines. After that it's up to you but make sure you get your axe to iron so you can access the hidden forest for a steady supply of hardwood.

After a few foraging levels you can craft all 3 tree seeds in to snacks that restore 45 energy and 20 health. Always be using these. When you need them. You can get more seeds by just chopping trees down or randomly by right clicking trees and shaking them out, which costs no energy to do so just hold down your right mouse button as you walk past trees.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Leal posted:

I know about checking the bundles from the start menu, but its tedious when I got summer crops and furnace turn ins and have to walk to both corners of the community center to turn them in. Kills almost an hour of my day.

There's a mod that lets you turn in it anywhere. I just learned about checking from the start menu though, that's neat.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Impermanent posted:

1st spring priorities:

"have fun"

Good tips though, although I completely neglected relationships and still am because my only friends are crops

E: oh whoops you were responding to someone

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Dumb question, but where is this mysterious smuggler? I can't find anything in the wiki about him easily.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Can someone tell me in a vague sense what my priorities should be during my first spring?
It depends.

(1) Making as much money as possible
(2) Nabbing all the springtime items for the community center turn-ins. I wouldn't worry about the 5 golden parsnips if it's too much to handle because you can just compensate for it in the summer/fall.
(3) Upgrading axe/pickaxe/backpack space at some point.

#1 is obviously complicated and I don't think anyone figured out how to optimize it. The first day I'd definitely forage, buy as many crops as I can, and then plant+water them all. In no particular order. Potato or Beans are the way to go. Not sure which. Potatos have significantly faster returns than beans allowing you to reinvest, but the earlier you plant beans the more money they're going to make. I'm not entirely sure how much money you can make in the first week to decide which to pick. You could do something like beans and then make money from fishing and more beans, and then after a certain point in the season just hit those potatos hard. But due to the snowball effect of potatos getting their returns faster it might be better to just do potatos.

When the mines open up they are a decent resource as well.

I wouldn't prioritize clearing the farm over getting a cash flow established. You can just clear a bit more as you need it, and there are far more pressing things to do if you want to be efficient and get into the part of the game where you aren't really strapped for energy or cash. But that's up to the individual. I know my first play through I wasted lots of time buying awful crops like sunflowers, not foraging enough, and clearing too much of my farm when I still had awful tools and no need for the space.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 3, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dragongem posted:

Dumb question, but where is this mysterious smuggler? I can't find anything in the wiki about him easily.

do you mean the traveling merchant chick in the cart? she shows up sometimes in the northwest part of the forest, past the weird tree and above the wizard's tower

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Dunno if everyone knows this, but the fridge in your house doubles as a chest that keeps the ingredients inside available for cooking, so you don't have to do inventory management.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dragongem posted:

The map south of your farm, with marnie's ranch, has the traveling merchant on fridays and sundays. With different stock each time. You just zone change south of your farm and go west/left. You can't miss her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So should I plant all the seeds you get for free on day 1, then head to town and buy as much seeds as you can and plant them all on the same day? I'm not far and was thinking of restarting anyway so this might work out.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Oh a tip I forgot. Seeding does not count towards days required for crop maturity. So take that in to account when you're nearing the end of the season.

Deified Data posted:

So should I plant all the seeds you get for free on day 1, then head to town and buy as much seeds as you can and plant them all on the same day? I'm not far and was thinking of restarting anyway so this might work out.

Yes, definitely. Use your free parsnips. Grab a single bean starter and cauliflower seed pack. These will just be used for your spring crop bundle. Everything else on potatoes and parsnips until you get the 5 gold quality needed for the Quality Crops bundle. Potatoes are really good. Arguably the best spring crop, since they're slightly better than strawberries in a vacuum.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 3, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, you can do that, but don't feel you must. This is a chill game! Chill.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There Is Literally No Way To Fail In This Game At All So Please Use It To Relax, Thanks

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I was given the choice of talking someone down or punching them.

I picked talk and the game trashed. Clearly a silent protagonist isn't to good at that sort of thing...

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
So I got up to 8 hearts with Abigail, and got a message asking me to come to her room at 8. Only I forgot to do it that particular day. Now whenever I go to her house she doesn't come home until like 11, and then she goes straight to bed, only giving her usual dialogue when I talk to her. Did I just miss that event forever?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gamerofthegame posted:

god winter is a piece of poo poo if you already cleared out the mines

You can run the bottom five floors over and over (and over and over and over) for extra cash if that's your thing.

Re: Abigail: Nah, she just only spends like two nights a week there at 8pm. Good luck!

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

So I got up to 8 hearts with Abigail, and got a message asking me to come to her room at 8. Only I forgot to do it that particular day. Now whenever I go to her house she doesn't come home until like 11, and then she goes straight to bed, only giving her usual dialogue when I talk to her. Did I just miss that event forever?

No, I think you just have to wait for a day where her schedule will allow it to fire.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

There Is Literally No Way To Fail In This Game At All So Please Use It To Relax, Thanks

This is true. But a lot of things are gated behind lots of resources or lots of gold.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can run the bottom five floors over and over (and over and over and over) for extra cash if that's your thing.

Yeah, the majority of my winter was spent bouncing between both mines, using the original to grind out loads of gold ingots to sell.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 3, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

This is all I actually needed to know but neglected to ask, thanks.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Kor posted:

No, I think you just have to wait for a day where her schedule will allow it to fire.

Good thing i have nothing better to do in Winter than stalk people, i guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Skaw posted:

This is true. But a lot of things are gated behind lots of resources or lots of gold.

You Can Easily Get These Things Over Time And Can Most Likely Have The Community Center Completed By The End Of Year 2 At The Absolute Latest

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My feeling for spring has been to just get money in my pocket. Since potatoes have a pretty good chance of yielding bonus potatoes when you harvest them, I feel like they're a good choice to spend most of your money on early.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
winter's a good time to preserve/booze up any leftover crops you have lying around or tucked away in chests you totally forgot about

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

but for real though as a person who comes from playing older harvest moon games and having to deal with incredibly aggravating systems, stardew valley is completely the exact opposite and you don't have to worry about loving yourself over. i mean, sure, if someone wants to plot out the most optimal way to get money, then have fun with that! but don't feel like you have to at all.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Really the only thing I dislike about this game is your character collapses at 2 AM.

Really, just give me a cold and a steep stamina penalty, I'm at my loving front door and I don't want to lose 2000 g.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I bought this game. I play it after work. It relaxes me and makes me wanna pet the catte.

It is a very good game.

I haven't done much, I don't even have all my tools to copper level come Summer.

I love the little touches.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I feel completely inept ATM but it's totally compelling.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

I was given the choice of talking someone down or punching them.

I picked talk and the game trashed. Clearly a silent protagonist isn't to good at that sort of thing...
This is a known bug. You have to pick the first option each time during the event or something.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I didn't even enter the mines until Summer. I assumed it wasn't open, but that was actually the entrance to the Spa/Railroad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks for the Iridium Sprinkler, pig caravan lady

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zodack posted:

Thanks for the Iridium Sprinkler, pig caravan lady

I always try to make sure I have enough cash on hand during caravan days just in case there's an Iridium Sprinkler handy. I have six now and have only actually crafted one.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

but for real though as a person who comes from playing older harvest moon games and having to deal with incredibly aggravating systems, stardew valley is completely the exact opposite and you don't have to worry about loving yourself over. i mean, sure, if someone wants to plot out the most optimal way to get money, then have fun with that! but don't feel like you have to at all.

Agreed. The no real time constraints on achievement is the games strongest point. But the first year is also 15 to 20 hours of game time alone. Pretty easy for someone to burn out before experiencing a lot of the content. And without certain things available to do during winter, it can become pretty dull.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Khorne posted:

This is a known bug. You have to pick the first option each time during the event or something.

wierd, glad i felt the urge to punch then, crash woulda been real annoying

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

I always try to make sure I have enough cash on hand during caravan days just in case there's an Iridium Sprinkler handy. I have six now and have only actually crafted one.

Yeah it's the tail end of Fall Year 1 for me so I have pockets full of money thanks to the cranberries.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
For cooking, are there any dishes that are actually worth more than the sum of their parts? Looking at the wiki it feels like cooking is only going to be there if you want to make dishes for people as gifts. Especially once you regularly get gold-starred crops, it makes more sense to pickle/brew them than make food to sell.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

For cooking, are there any dishes that are actually worth more than the sum of their parts? Looking at the wiki it feels like cooking is only going to be there if you want to make dishes for people as gifts. Especially once you regularly get gold-starred crops, it makes more sense to pickle/brew them than make food to sell.
I completely expect a rebalance on cooking prices, jam/pickled prices, and fertilizer pricers. Higher tier fertilizers are cheaper in the store than their components sell for. In the name of fairness and balance I've just been making my own fertilizers and not buying them at the store.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Apparently the Fridge selects items from the bottom up so my Super Cucumber Maki Roll better have been worth the accident

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah this is the big thing here

i enjoy optimizing games like this because i'm that level of colossal loving nerd. so yes, i got halfway through summer and restarted for no larger reason than 'i bet i can do spring a lot better'. but i would have missed exactly zero bits of content and experienced exactly zero regrets if i had never restarted and lived with all my :siren: SUBOPTIMAL!!!!! :siren:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Tortillas. Corn is 50g, Tortillas are 75g each.

Makes corn good.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fhqwhgads posted:

For cooking, are there any dishes that are actually worth more than the sum of their parts?

Cheaper fish like Carp should be turned into Sashimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I put up ugly wallpaper and flooring. How do I reset it to default?