Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Plus extra objectives at Kingsparrow and an entire extra area when you assassinate the Lord Regent.

I assume there's more but I forget what.

You get to have sex with Emily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I thought that swampy mansion was pretty dull.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You get to have sex with Emily.

*starts the dishonored download through the android steam app so it's ready when i get home*

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

i think the most fun ive had with dishonored was a no upgrade+powers run, since youre not buying anything or using relics it becomes effectively a low% speedrun and im convinced this is the true way to play the game

This is the best way for sure. Otherwise you are too overpowered.

I thought completing the main story without killing anyone would be hard, but not really.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

*starts the dishonored download through the android steam app so it's ready when i get home*
(USER WAS MADE A MODERATOR FOR THIS POST)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked Dishonored because I played it stealthy and nonlethal around the city guard guys you fight in most the missions and it was still a lot of fun but then the assassin cult guys showed up and I decided to let loose and it felt like I went super saiyan. It was kind of a proto-version of what I loved so much about MGSV in that stealth and assault were both equally fun while feeling like entirely different games and loving up and having to figure out how to salvage the mission when everything's going to hell around you was just as fun as completing the mission perfectly.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

:vince:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i believe that it is a bad game due to it being a first person shooter made in the last 15 years,and also published by bethesda. all of this seems to suggest a case of terminal aids. i will never buy it or pirate it to actually find out tho

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao

i just checked and thjey finally confirmed emily is corvo's daughter. thank god i thought it was extremely obvious but people were very resistant to the idea for some reason.

also re the outsider just being some sacrificed kid it wouldn't surprise me. the aesthetic of the game is good and really well executed but the actual writing was average.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who gives a gently caress about a games writing

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly the best video game writing in a decade was the black ops series

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

*raises Fury's Song*

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfapMy-mIXo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Honestly the best video game writing in a decade was the black ops series

There really needs to be a CoD that goes way further with the diverging paths and choices stuff. I was expecting that in BO3 and was kinda disappointed

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

The only time it really matters to me is things like crpg conversations or something. I like reading things. Legit thought blops3 campaign story was neat

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

There really needs to be a CoD that goes way further with the diverging paths and choices stuff. I was expecting that in BO3 and was kinda disappointed

Blops2 had diverging paths that relied on you playing the campaign mini game. I thought the bad ending was actually really interesting because the villain had every right to be angry with the portag side. The tactical game wasn't so well designed tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

writng only matters if its really good or really bnad oor if its a feels game, otherwise who ca res

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tfw in Modern Warfare 2 the mission briefing after Washington DC is attacked is just an emergency broadcast system telling everyone to get to their nearest shelter.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tfw manly tears at the ending of Bastion.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't care about how good a games writing is unless it makes the story a big deal, then the writing needs to be good. Like its ok that Halflife's story isn't amazing because even with unskipable cutscenes the story is only like 2% of the game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blops 3 biggest story issue was that it reveals the truth in those impossible to read fast moving sections in the loading screen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

blops 3 biggest story issue was that it reveals the truth in those impossible to read fast moving sections in the loading screen.

That was cool.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Tfw manly tears at the ending of Bastion.

Yeah I thought these games did really well by having a cool narrator constantly with you. Transistors story is super simple but having the sword narrate and the player character interact at certain points was neat. Imo best feels ending of the generation goes to shovel knight

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

That was cool.

true, once I got to the insanely cool ww2 section I was all "no way this is real" and googled it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

We all love feels, some are just afraid to admit it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Anyways uh Dishonored actually does seem like a neat game and I need to play more than the first hour sometime. Same with Sleeping Dogs

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sleeping Doges

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how if you pay attention at the VR training level like I did, the guy mentions that DNIs can cause insanely vivid hallucinations, and that the GI robots are controlled by a hive mind AI and it's impossible for a human to directly control. So at the level in the old lab you can immediately know that the guy in the CPU core isn't acting alone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

Sleeping Doges

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

I like how if you pay attention at the VR training level like I did, the guy mentions that DNIs can cause insanely vivid hallucinations, and that the GI robots are controlled by a hive mind AI and it's impossible for a human to directly control. So at the level in the old lab you can immediately know that the guy in the CPU core isn't acting alone.

Yeah it was cool that the tip off itself was that the campaign was too loving crazy lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my dog swam laps around the lead systems designer for this game so i got a credit in the special thanks section

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Nice job doxxing yourself. Wait til my homeboys at SomethingSensitive get a load of this.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

my dog swam laps around the lead systems designer for this game so i got a credit in the special thanks section

i think the dog should have got that credit

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

Good, good dog.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Anyways uh Dishonored actually does seem like a neat game and I need to play more than the first hour sometime. Same with Sleeping Dogs

These are two really good games in their own way, give them another shot

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

#CreditTheDog

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah like, its ultimately very silly that the game gives you a big sword and skullmask and then tells you "DONT USE THESE OR YOURE A BAD MAN" but i just thought of it as punishing you for taking the easy baby mode and murdering everyone with the OP weapons instead of tactically sneaking around, the problem is that both playstyles should be very challenging in their own ways instead of one being overtly easier and more fun

i feel if youre playing an action game and the story is enough to keep your interest and wonder what happens next they've done a gj w/ the writing, even if some elements of it are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

actually its good because if you kill lots of people the chaos goes up which means it gives you more people to kill

• Locked thread