Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
$300 for a 6GB 1060? :bang:

I think I'll just wait for 1070 prices and availability to stabilize and try to get one for $400 and not have to worry about upgrading my GPU for 3-4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Newegg just got new EVGA stock!

FLY YOU FOOLS! FLY!!!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

SweetBro posted:

FLY YOU FOOLS! FLY!!!

Annnnd sold out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This had to be done by disassembling the iMac almost completely, a very painful process with this model.. the card was in MXM format

quote:

Edit 3: Apple did a recall on NVidia cards too... jeez: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203254

Not exactly 'cards..' the 8600GT was soldered to the logic board on those particular laptops, so it involved switching out entire logic boards just for the bad GPU.. and Apple usually required you to return the original board with the bad 8600GT.

Presumably they collected the bad boards, counted them, and dumped them on nVidia corporate's front lawn, then told nVidia "Ok, give us credit for these 80,000 (or whatever) boards"

nVidia's response was probably to give Apple a few hearty middle fingers, which is likely why there's not a single nVidia GPU on any Apple hardware sold today.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 1, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

Annnnd sold out.

08G-P4-6183-KR is still in stock.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

"Even" a GTX970 is twice as fast in games as a 660ti. And then a 970 is only 60%~ the power of a 1070. So you're looking at "Do you want to double your FPS, or almost quadruple your FPS?" for 1920*1080 gameplay.

If you were actually able to buy a 1070 at 399$, it's about as much performance per dollar as you can get right now. Definitely beating the 970, and matching the RX480 extremely closely.
At the 50$ common markup, it's a little bit less of a great deal, but it's also much faster in absolute terms, so there's always that, too.

I'm running a 650 Ti Boost now and am leaning towards the 1070 as well as I want to go 4k soon. I'm in no rush though so I want to see how the 1060 turns out. The 480 would've been a great solution if I wanted to stick to 1080p though (power issues excluded). But then it'd also be quite lame to only get as much performance as I could've had two years ago for only $100 more.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

SweetBro posted:

gently caress YOU EVGA!

You send me a loving notification that the FTW is in stock, I rush over to your lovely site and by the time I'm done deal with all the loving retarded redirects you kept on throwing at me that poo poo is sold out. God fuckingn drat your site is garbage, how loving hard is it to have a god drat pay with paypal button, ship to paypal address. Why the gently caress do I have to log in and make a loving account, holy loving poo poo if you're going to make me jump through your garbage onboarding process at least make your site not loving poo poo.

jkeluje kglamngioalwbkryhnwpoifen wyjmh9 p8gtz2hj67myn -g3ts789yubmn890gefwvmnyhaiuonumghj8apbojm giop4wanhy g bpioz

:negative:

You too eh? Such a terrible website.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm running a 650 Ti Boost now and am leaning towards the 1070 as well as I want to go 4k soon. I'm in no rush though so I want to see how the 1060 turns out. The 480 would've been a great solution if I wanted to stick to 1080p though (power issues excluded). But then it'd also be quite lame to only get as much performance as I could've had two years ago for only $100 more.

The 1070 is not enough to max out 4K. In fact, nothing available on the market right now is. Maybe the 1080 Ti when it comes out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone ever actually done a graphics card recall?

Nvidia got class actioned for murdering laptop GPUs back in the day and settled/lost.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Twerk from Home posted:

Where are you getting OSX drivers, given that Apple hasn't ever used a 9xx series nVidia GPU in their machines? Apple's all AMD right now, and speculation is that the Macbook Pros / iMacs are going to get refreshed with AMD Polaris based GPUs.

Yes and it's speculated that Sierra will add support for the 480, but that won't be out until the fall.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wicka posted:

welcome to the "i spent $400 on a video card and will use it as an excuse to spend $1000 on a monitor" club

It's a good excuse, though even having dropped $666 on an XB271 I still think going ultrawide is kinda crazy because you nearly double the price for a little more width.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nvidia got class actioned for murdering laptop GPUs back in the day and settled/lost.

Yeah I remember that. A lot of the nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx(?) series laptop gpus would fail after a couple years. Usually in macbooks and mid tier gaming laptops.

Apple went to AMD for their laptops and never looked back.

edit: I think some 7xxx series ones as well. I got lucky that my old Asus G1 with a 7700 never suffered from the problem. Laptop lasted 4 or 5 years

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Funnily enough (or shittily enough) Nvidia managed to gently caress over the people in the suit by giving them a laptop of equal capability, not equal worth. So when the suit was over they were all getting 250 buck Compaqs and not hardware that they would pay $1,000+ for.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, bumpgate was no joke.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's a good excuse, though even having dropped $666 on an XB271 I still think going ultrawide is kinda crazy because you nearly double the price for a little more width.

Ultrawides are awesome for everything except gaming as well. The gaming ones new are a huge rip off though.

mobby_6kl posted:

It is 50% more, but that makes some sense.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That Adored guy points out that the 750ti pulls upwards to 250watts spike out of the PCIe slot and people don't lose their motherboards over it. The average consumption is lower though. He also thinks that the 8GB of memory is what's causing the power draw and shouldn't be a problem unless playing in high end games @ 4k res. fwiw

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mobby_6kl posted:

For primarily gaming use, I'd highly highly suggest the 2560 * 1440 144hz monitors over anything 4k. Screens are more expensive, but they take less GPU power to have a fantastic experience with. I've got one of each, and playing with high refresh rates (Even if your card doesn't crank out 120 fps all the time) is just a far better experience than 4k gaming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

That Adored guy points out that the 750ti pulls upwards to 250watts spike out of the PCIe slot and people don't lose their motherboards over it.

I too think that spiking 175W over spec for as little as 1/100,000th of a second (the resolution of Toms Hardware's test setup) is just as bad as going 5-25W over spec at all times.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

That Adored guy points out that the 750ti pulls upwards to 250watts spike out of the PCIe slot and people don't lose their motherboards over it. The average consumption is lower though. He also thinks that the 8GB of memory is what's causing the power draw and shouldn't be a problem unless playing in high end games @ 4k res. fwiw

The sustained average draw being over at stock is a bit worrying and I'd under no circumstances run one overclocked.

The 8 GB is probably a big contributor and is probably well worth considering when thinking about the power draw.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I still think the 4GB RX 470 is positioned to be a sweet card for everybody at 1080p. 4GB of VRAM, cheaper, lower power draw because it's OK to be somewhere near but under a 970 for $150.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I still think the 4GB RX 470 is positioned to be a sweet card for everybody at 1080p. 4GB of VRAM, cheaper, lower power draw because it's OK to be somewhere near but under a 970 for $150.

You're pretty much guaranteed to be right, it should be a massive, massive outlier in price/perf.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SweetBro posted:

FLY YOU FOOLS! FLY!!!

loving thing bitched about my address even though it was correct, and was gone by the time I finished checking out. Motherfucker.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
1080s are $750+ CAD. Cheapest 1070 is $560.

Guess I'll just keep rocking a 290 that can't overclock past 1050MHz at all or drivers have to be cleaned out and reinstalled in order for the computer to boot!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

For primarily gaming use, I'd highly highly suggest the 2560 * 1440 144hz monitors over anything 4k. Screens are more expensive, but they take less GPU power to have a fantastic experience with. I've got one of each, and playing with high refresh rates (Even if your card doesn't crank out 120 fps all the time) is just a far better experience than 4k gaming.

Phlegmish posted:

The 1070 is not enough to max out 4K. In fact, nothing available on the market right now is. Maybe the 1080 Ti when it comes out.
Agreed! But gaming is now less than 10% of my computer time and 4k would be definitely better for the other 90%.

I realize that the 1070/80 wouldn't max out 4k in most games but in those cases 1080p could be scaled up with crazy fps, so it's not all bad. And if things continue the way they had, there won't be any other option (except Titan or whatever but I mean at a reasonable price point) that would do 4k at 60+ fps in any game for years, probably

xthetenth posted:

It is 50% more, but that makes some sense.
Yeah 50% makes it sound a bit worse, but still it's not that much over two years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wicka posted:

"special handling section: deliver weekday"

they upgraded me to fedex next day shipping, which by default delivers on saturday, and then gave them special instructions not to deliver on saturday. unfuckingreal. done with newegg.

has anyone seen any a non-FE model that's consistently available on amazon or best buy or anywhere else? i would really, really like to return this one to newegg, if it ever arrives.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

SweetBro posted:

08G-P4-6183-KR is still in stock.
Received mine today and just tried it out with The Witcher 3 using max settings and Fast Sync on my 1440p 60Hz monitor.

It looks and plays magnificently.

What I don't understand is why the GPU is reaching 1936 MHz when the boost clock is set at 1847 MHz (normal 1708 MHz). It is using default settings according to the Precision OC X tool.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wicka posted:

has anyone seen any a non-FE model that's consistently available on amazon or best buy or anywhere else? i would really, really like to return this one to newegg, if it ever arrives.

At this rate it'll arrive after the return window. That's incredibly sucky.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't trust MicroCenter's website for a second.

Employee told me that there is often a 24hr delay between their actual stock and what the website shows. A truck came in this morning loaded with MSI TFs, ASUS Strixs, and numerous other Founders AIBs. I called because I saw a single Founders available according to their site, but when the CSR checked her in-store computer she said they had 10+ on the shelves that came off a truck this morning.

Naturally I rushed over and grabbed me a 1080 ASUS Strix. :pcgaming::hf::getin:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

His latest video is such a blatant fanboy traincrash that even r/amd called him out on it. PCPer updated their story specifically comparing to the 960 strix as well as testing in low VRAM situations, and basically confirmed AdoredTV was just talking poo poo.

He has stated he is going to try and kill a B75 motherboard using an overclocked 480 however, and that's interesting.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

wicka posted:

consistently available

wicka posted:

non-FE model

Pick one.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Inverness posted:

Received mine today and just tried it out with The Witcher 3 using max settings and Fast Sync on my 1440p 60Hz monitor.

It looks and plays magnificently.

What I don't understand is why the GPU is reaching 1936 MHz when the boost clock is set at 1847 MHz (normal 1708 MHz). It is using default settings according to the Precision OC X tool.

My Zotac 1070 does the same thing. I have never really bothered with overclocking before building this PC so I just figured that was typical. From what I've gathered the boost clock is guaranteed to be stable, but if your card can hit a higher number safely it will.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

1080s are $750+ CAD. Cheapest 1070 is $560.

Guess I'll just keep rocking a 290 that can't overclock past 1050MHz at all or drivers have to be cleaned out and reinstalled in order for the computer to boot!

We get absolutely hosed up the rear end for parts prices up here for some reason. Its why I was relying on AMD to mess with the GPU market so I could actually buy a new card. I built my PC in late 2011 (i5-2500k, Z68A-GD55) but I threw in the video card I bought a year earlier since it was still fine at the time. Its now 2016 and a 1gb HD5770 video card cries for the sweet release of death from inside my case every time I load up any game (and even some websites!) made in the last 2 years.

I know the rest of the parts inside are old now too and probably nearing the end of their lifespan, but I just dont have the money to do a brand new rebuild so Im going to start with the oldest parts first. GPU and monitor (a Samsung I bought in 2007 :corsair:).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SlayVus posted:

I spent $700 in a video card and bought a $1200 Acer X34 for $800 refurbished. I plan on buying a $600/$800 VR HMD then the inevitable $750/$800 1080 Ti when it comes out.

At the rate things are going, nVidia will SKU the 1080Ti for $899 with the stock cooling assembly and treat it like they're doing us a solid at that price. The AIBs will likely target $950-999 with custom cooling since people have already shown them they're willing to pay it.

The Titan will probably require you to undergo a credit check first.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The gigabyte 1070 fan issue I noticed apparently might be due to one fan pulsing on and off for whatever reason, while it was definitely bearing noise it only happened briefly under one condition. There was a suggestion to simply run the fan at 100% for a moment and it would go away, the loose theory being that you're "wearing in the bearings". A few hours it seems to have worked for now. There is a BIOS update for the 1080 to stop this fan behavior entirely but not for the 1070 yet

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Furnaceface posted:

We get absolutely hosed up the rear end for parts prices up here for some reason. Its why I was relying on AMD to mess with the GPU market so I could actually buy a new card. I built my PC in late 2011 (i5-2500k, Z68A-GD55) but I threw in the video card I bought a year earlier since it was still fine at the time. Its now 2016 and a 1gb HD5770 video card cries for the sweet release of death from inside my case every time I load up any game (and even some websites!) made in the last 2 years.

I know the rest of the parts inside are old now too and probably nearing the end of their lifespan, but I just dont have the money to do a brand new rebuild so Im going to start with the oldest parts first. GPU and monitor (a Samsung I bought in 2007 :corsair:).

I'm in the exact same position you are in, i5 3570 with a 5770. I've been wanting to get a new GPU for ages, but have never done so.

Just out of curiosity what would be the biggest and best I could get that won't bottle neck my cpu (w/16gb ram)

There's a small outside possibility that I may be able to snag 1 or 2 Titan X's of a friend once he gets his 1080's delivered, I know I have to upgrade my PSU as it only has 2 6 pin PCIE connectors, but two's going to murder my CPU yeah?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Puddin posted:

I'm in the exact same position you are in, i5 3570 with a 5770. I've been wanting to get a new GPU for ages, but have never done so.

Just out of curiosity what would be the biggest and best I could get that won't bottle neck my cpu (w/16gb ram)

There's a small outside possibility that I may be able to snag 1 or 2 Titan X's of a friend once he gets his 1080's delivered, I know I have to upgrade my PSU as it only has 2 6 pin PCIE connectors, but two's going to murder my CPU yeah?

If you *must* have one now: run, not walk when you see a <$400 GTX 1070 non-FE.

Otherwise this now is the absolutely worst time to buy a GPU for a long time with the RX480 customs, RX470, GTX 1060 just around the corner.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
About three months ago I lost my job. Sucks, and worried about finding a new one, but there was relief because the job sucked. Well, not totally; having it on my resume really helped out. I was getting more attention than usual. So instead of the usual long-term unemployment I've experienced in the past, I got a job in under two months. Best of all, I was getting paid far more than I ever have. I've never seen a paycheck like this.

That's why I just upgraded from a 970 to a 1080.

I was really impressed with the announcements from NVIDIA for Pascal. My 970 isn't two years old yet, but I was already planning to upgrade to the 1070, once I got a job. But when I landed a job making 40% more than the last, I realized I could do something I've never done before: buy a hardware upgrade that was the pinnacle of what is available. (The 1080 being $600 as opposed to last year's top dog, a $1000 Titan, also really helped.) On Tuesday, I thought I'd watch online stock. After my second try, I managed to get the EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming ACX 3.0. This is pretty much the exact card I wanted to get. Not an overpriced Founder's Edition, not the base level.

Got it today. Just in time for a three day weekend.

Whenever I make these kinds of upgrades, I like to do before and after benchmarks, thought I'd share with you guys. Especially because of my processor: the 2500K. Feels weird that I still don't have to upgrade my CPU yet, but that's what I keep reading. Still, was a little concerned about bottlenecking. Most people agree it's not going to happen, unless I play one of those weird RTSs, which I won't.

8GB RAM, SSD blah blah blah

Geforce 970
GTAV with PCSS - 24 FPS avg
Bioshock Infinite - 109 FPS avg
Rise of the Tomb Raider with max hair - 13 FPS avg

Geforce 1080
GTAV with PCSS - 48 FPS avg
Bioshock Infinite - 198 FPS avg
Rise of the Tomb Raider with max hair - 39 FPS avg

I'm surprised, this is double performance. Did not expect that. I was especially impressed with Tomb Raider. At the very beginning of the benchmark, all you see is Lara, with her beautifully realistic NVIDIA hair. On the 970, I was barely getting 20 frames. On the 1080, I was getting exactly 60. Then things settled down once the camera panned around and got the mountain in view.

Also, while testing the 970 with GTAV I didn't realize I missed the 'Advanced Graphics' settings, which were all turned off. I enabled all of them, got a 30 FPS average on the 1080.

edit: Oh, this is all 1440p at highest settings.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 2, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

mobby_6kl posted:

Agreed! But gaming is now less than 10% of my computer time and 4k would be definitely better for the other 90%.

I realize that the 1070/80 wouldn't max out 4k in most games but in those cases 1080p could be scaled up with crazy fps, so it's not all bad. And if things continue the way they had, there won't be any other option (except Titan or whatever but I mean at a reasonable price point) that would do 4k at 60+ fps in any game for years, probably

Yeah 50% makes it sound a bit worse, but still it's not that much over two years.

While I agree with Gwaihir on screen experience, I think you are right about upscaling. The next step from all the temporal AA stuff in TXAA, TAA, etc. is more intelligent upscaling from lower res rendering. Most scenes you don't need the fine detail of 4k (or at least not features at that frequency) but having a 4k display let's you get nice crisp text, etc. where you need it.

Puddin posted:

Just buy a 480 and it will give you a reason to replace everything else! :science:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While it's cool that you have a 1080, you could probably reign in the humble storytelling about how you've landed into megamillions.

Why the hell is Tomb Raider (is this the sequel?) so problematic? A 970 isn't exactly a slouch, 20 frames just seems unreasonable.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Revol posted:

About three months ago I lost my job. Sucks, and worried about finding a new one, but there was relief because the job sucked. Well, not totally; having it on my resume really helped out. I was getting more attention than usual. So instead of the usual long-term unemployment I've experienced in the past, I got a job in under two months. Best of all, I was getting paid far more than I ever have. I've never seen a paycheck like this.

That's why I just upgraded from a 970 to a 1080.

I was really impressed with the announcements from NVIDIA for Pascal. My 970 isn't two years old yet, but I was already planning to upgrade to the 1070, once I got a job. But when I landed a job making 40% more than the last, I realized I could do something I've never done before: buy a hardware upgrade that was the pinnacle of what is available. (The 1080 being $600 as opposed to last year's top dog, a $1000 Titan, also really helped.) On Tuesday, I thought I'd watch online stock. After my second try, I managed to get the EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming ACX 3.0. This is pretty much the exact card I wanted to get. Not an overpriced Founder's Edition, not the base level.

Got it today. Just in time for a three day weekend.

Whenever I make these kinds of upgrades, I like to do before and after benchmarks, thought I'd share with you guys. Especially because of my processor: the 2500K. Feels weird that I still don't have to upgrade my CPU yet, but that's what I keep reading. Still, was a little concerned about bottlenecking. Most people agree it's not going to happen, unless I play one of those weird RTSs, which I won't.

8GB RAM, SSD blah blah blah

Get out you scrub

But yeah, even a 1080 is infinitely better value than the Titan X aka 980 Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Craptacular! posted:

While it's cool that you have a 1080, you could probably reign in the humble storytelling about how you've landed into megamillions.

Why the hell is Tomb Raider (is this the sequel?) so problematic? A 970 isn't exactly a slouch, 20 frames just seems unreasonable.

Hairworks is absurd

Buy what you want if you can afford it!