Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Craptacular! posted:

While it's cool that you have a 1080, you could probably reign in the humble storytelling about how you've landed into megamillions.

Why the hell is Tomb Raider (is this the sequel?) so problematic? A 970 isn't exactly a slouch, 20 frames just seems unreasonable.

Maxed out settings includes a pretty crazy Voxel-Based AO, which is very GPU intensive.

https://developer.nvidia.com/vxao-voxel-ambient-occlusion

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Hairworks is absurd

Rise of the Tomb Raider uses a customised version of TressFX, not Hairworks :ssh:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Should have waited for 1080 ti Titan to spend your ~Phat Paycheck~

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Palladium posted:

If you *must* have one now: run, not walk when you see a <$400 GTX 1070 non-FE.

Otherwise this now is the absolutely worst time to buy a GPU for a long time with the RX480 customs, RX470, GTX 1060 just around the corner.

Oh I'll be waiting for sure. It's not like I'm in dire need of one. I'll be waiting to see what is in store for the next month and their respective AUD prices.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Craptacular! posted:

While it's cool that you have a 1080, you could probably reign in the humble storytelling about how you've landed into megamillions.

Why the hell is Tomb Raider (is this the sequel?) so problematic? A 970 isn't exactly a slouch, 20 frames just seems unreasonable.

Set textures to High instead of Very High on 4GB cards and below.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

At this rate it'll arrive after the return window. That's incredibly sucky.

i REALLY do not want to give them money at this stage. like they go out of their way to downgrade fedex's shipping. fedex, by default, ships and delivers on saturday. they had to ask them to not do that. that's unbelievable. and i'm not aware of any other retailer that will just close their warehouse for two days, freeze all processing, and do nothing to mitigate that for the customer. it's all very silly.

SweetBro posted:

Pick one.

there are plenty of non-FE models that come up regularly on newegg. they sell out within a minute but they're still there. i've seen basically nothing on amazon.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Thanks everyone who gave me advice

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wicka posted:

there are plenty of non-FE models that come up regularly on newegg. they sell out within a minute but they're still there. i've seen basically nothing on amazon.
Pretty sure that's the definition of NOT consistently available.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty sure that's the definition of NOT consistently available.

i don't think being a pedantic gently caress was necessary. cards go on sale on newegg multiple times a day, they don't on amazon, there's a difference there regardless of what word you want to use.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The term 'paper launch' is derived from the wad of paper that sits under the scotch tape that you use to depress your your F5 key.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Palladium posted:

If you *must* have one now: run, not walk when you see a <$400 GTX 1070 non-FE.

Otherwise this now is the absolutely worst time to buy a GPU for a long time with the RX480 customs, RX470, GTX 1060 just around the corner.

Well then how long before the pricing and availability on those cards stabilize?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

At this rate it'll arrive after the return window. That's incredibly sucky.

Doesn't the return window start when the item is delivered to you?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

i don't know, but let's be honest, i'm not returning it unless i can get another one on the same day or sooner. i paid an early adopter premium to get a card that is overkill for my current setup. i am obviously not smart enough to vote with my wallet on this one unless i can have my cake and eat it too.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

1080s are $750+ CAD. Cheapest 1070 is $560.

Furnaceface posted:

We get absolutely hosed up the rear end for parts prices up here for some reason. Its why I was relying on AMD to mess with the GPU market so I could actually buy a new card.
From the previous page, but just so you guys know, some of the prices here are basically just the cost in USD converted to CAD. The exchange rate is just that bad right now, at $1.29 CAD to every USD. A $420 USD Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming is listed for $564 CAD on Vuugo (I have no idea if they're reputable), which is ~$20 more than the direct currency conversion, while the EVGA SC Gaming ACX 3.0 is $450 USD in the US and $590 CAD at Memory Express, which is ~$10 more than the direct conversion. It's the same deal with several GTX 1080s, as well. For others, though, it definitely seems like there's some degree of price gouging (mainly because they're out of stock everywhere else).

But basically, if the US gets screwed on prices, then we do as well because the exchange rate sucks and that seems to be how a lot of prices get determined here. It looks like it's generally around $650-700 USD for any given 1080, which should usually mean around $840-905 here. The cheapest I see at a cursory glance is $550 for a 1070 and $815 for a 1080, which pretty much matches the cheapest models you can find (constantly out of stock) on Newegg.com after conversion.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Subjunctive posted:

I was kind of joking.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm surprised that 1080s are harder to get then 1070s. Non FE 1070s seem to go on sale at least once per day while the 1080s have been scarce. And the 1080s were released first.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nvidia could poo poo in a bag, put a $999 price tag on it and it would sell out at this point.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm surprised that 1080s are harder to get then 1070s. Non FE 1070s seem to go on sale at least once per day while the 1080s have been scarce. And the 1080s were released first.

GDDR5X is probably the bottleneck. The 1070 uses only GDDR5.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

GDDR5X is probably the bottleneck. The 1070 uses only GDDR5.
Ahem, that's G5X to you sir. :colbert:

HBM2 supplies are apparently also abysmal.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider uses a customised version of TressFX, not Hairworks :ssh:

I didnt know even know they were brand specific but , all hair poo poo seems to be GPU pounding

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I didnt know even know they were brand specific but , all hair poo poo seems to be GPU pounding

If it didn't the :smug: pcmasterrace will complain how games are ruined forever because there isn't any horribly unoptimized poo poo to tax their $1000 viddy cards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia could poo poo in a bag, put a $999 price tag on it and it would sell out at this point.

Some people would wait for the ti version.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

AMD should probably make some cards that are better than what Nvidia is offering if they want to get market share.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AMD should probably make some cards that are better than what Nvidia is offering if they want to get market share.

this is highly controversial

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

In a meeting at AMD you just know someone suggested binning higher performing 480 chips as a new model and factory overclocking them beyond the useful thermal limit, just like the FX 9590. He was sent to the core mines.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rexxed posted:

In a meeting at AMD you just know someone suggested binning higher performing 480 chips as a new model and factory overclocking them beyond the useful thermal limit, just like the FX 9590. He was sent to the core mines.

$349, 4 8 pin pci-e connectors, gtx980 performance

The Odd One
Dec 5, 2011

Stpuid
So I bought two RX 480's before the PCI-E power issue was revealed.

Is my motherboard in serious trouble or is this just overblown?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rexxed posted:

For all the signs so far, the funny and sad part is AMD could have easily pulled the old NV trick by binning and slightly downclock/downvolt lovely RX480 chips for OEM versions that nobody will see or care about, while optimizing the clocks/volts for the better retail ones and keeping every version under 150W TDP, if they couldn't afford to write off their already mass produced 6-pin cards. A ~5% slower RX480 with better TDP is still infinitely more appealing than a mobo killer regardless of everything else.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Odd One posted:

Crossfire is supported even worse than sli at this point

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kjIHgq2zBU&feature=youtu.be&t=11m00s

Look at that heatsink :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Odd One posted:

If you stop posting we'll assume you found your answer. :supaburn:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The Odd One posted:

Nobody knows yet unfortunately , we have crossed the "no its just misread or overblown stage" but we haven't gotten much more real information than that

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

The Odd One posted:

To be safe you should set a lower power target and under volt it if you intend to keep it. Hopefully AMD addresses the problem in the next few weeks and you won't have to worry about it any more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

The Odd One posted:

The consensus seems to be that even if the single card PCI-E power issues aren't that big of a deal, either overclock or running multiple GPUs would make problems far more likely/ serious

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rexxed posted:

How about putting a cooler that isn't complete garbage on their cards? How about just sticking an 8-pin or a couple 6-pins on the card if it draws over 150W so it does not start sucking more power through the mobo than it can handle? I don't know if this issue will just end up being a real thing but for now I honestly can't tell someone to buy one of these things knowing that it might fry their loving mobo. Nvidia charges too much, especially with the bullshit that is the "Founders Edition", but at least you know you are getting a decent product with them. If AMD wants people to buy their stuff they need to make products that are compelling in and of themselves, not just compelling because the price is really low.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How about putting a cooler that isn't complete garbage on their cards? How about just sticking an 8-pin or a couple 6-pins on the card if it draws over 150W so it does not start sucking more power through the mobo than it can handle? I don't know if this issue will just end up being a real thing but for now I honestly can't tell someone to buy one of these things knowing that it might fry their loving mobo. Nvidia charges too much, especially with the bullshit that is the "Founders Edition", but at least you know you are getting a decent product with them. If AMD wants people to buy their stuff they need to make products that are compelling in and of themselves, not just compelling because the price is really low.

Yeah, it's a shame. My last nvidia card was a 6600GT OC, then I had three AMD cards: 4850, 6850, R9-270X, then back to nvidia with the 970. I'll probably stay here for a bit or get a 1070 this winter or next year when all these crazy release prices have calmed down. I think I still have my Riva TNT2 but obviously I'm not brand loyal. I just wish AMD could compete a little better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wasn't the whole idea that you could drop one intro any lovely old system and get decent performance? Requiring extra connectors would pretty seriously curtail that.

I'd have thought they'd have been off clocking it a bit lower and accepting the performance trade off (still pretty good for the price).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized, my first GPU I purchased was an EVGA SC 8800GT, and now the first "good" card I'm buying since is an EVGA SC GTX 1070.

Eh, kinda poetic I guess.

So whatever happened to the 8xx series? And is this current naming scheme the same as the one that showed up after the 9xxx series? I remember it got weird, with rebadges and rebranding and using multiple hundreds at the same time and

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AMD making GBS threads the bed is whats allowing nvidia to jack prices up since theres nothing to compete or compare with. :argh:

Also Im a brand loyalist because the old ATI building was a 10 minutes drive down the highway from me and they sold poo poo out of a little warehouse on site super cheap and man I miss those days. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
8 got skipped for desktop cards and was really confusing on laptops (IIRC there were two completely different 860M models)