Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am going to set a table top RPG in the rich fantasy world of Macondo

I am a LVL 12 Sustenance Farmer with the power to turn turnips into children for barren wives

Actually sounds cool, but use Hillfolk or Heroquest please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what does that even mean?

An interest in rules and frameworks? So I think less of an interest in how life is, or in human relations, but in creating new rules for life so you don't have to understand the world you live in. Maybe. I'm guessing.

e: Yeah, treating literature as if it was RPG combat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lightning Lord posted:

I was being outrageously facetious

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
BorgesQuest table top d-12 campaign system with Aleph world expansion booklet

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was being outrageously facetious

No loving poo poo.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Worldbuilding in genre fantasy is usually "wouldn't it be cool if...", in lit it's more like "what if.."., I don't think anyone has problems with imaginative worlds per se. I mean, off top of my head: Infinite Jest is scifi, Against the Day (Pynchon) has steampunk stuff, The Road (McCarthy) has extremely trendy dystopian/apocalyptic setting and Jose Saramago could be called fantasy author. Borges and others too. They aren't poo poo tough and they sure as hell don't even know what worldbuilding is

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BorgesQuest table top d-12 campaign system with Aleph world expansion booklet
In one such world, the party came to the orcs' camp and slaughtered them all. In another, they arrived as friends and brokered peace. You must therefore award XP for all possible resolutions.
--The Garden of Forking Paths Module, Game Masters' Chapter

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
you're going to wish you all were more interested in world building when i throw your pasty asses into solitary confinement in nerd jail, and imagination is your only escape.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

you're going to wish you all were more interested in world building when i throw your pasty asses into solitary confinement in nerd jail, and imagination is your only escape.

That was Tolkien's reasoning for why the likes of the evil, cruel posters in this thread oppress the fantasy reader so terribly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Sci-Fi fans have kind of become a new form of Poe's Law after Abalieno I am afraid

I feel obligated to take all statements as sincere

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sci-Fi fans have kind of become a new form of Poe's Law after Abalieno I am afraid

I feel obligated to take all statements as sincere

That guy is the worst, I don't blame you.

I legit think a magical realism game in an RPG would be fun, but I also have no doubt that you were being 100% facetious and have no interest in that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Lightning Lord posted:

That guy is the worst, I don't blame you.

I legit think a magical realism game in an RPG would be fun, but I also have no doubt that you were being 100% facetious and have no interest in that.

The Player's Handbook of Laughter and Forgetting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Roll D20 to determine chance of crying tears that smell of your lover's breath

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
When I praise world building, I am praising the ability for the writer to show the 'world' without exposition dumps.

This is difficult for nerds, hence literature doesn't receive the same.

Almost every SFF manuscript I get sent has exposition for the first 10 pages.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You open the chest to find a pen that can write only the dreams of soldiers who died away from home +1

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

the_homemaster posted:

Almost every SFF manuscript I get sent has exposition for the first 10 pages.

I bet that stuff sells though right? (Assuming it's marketed as a world building fantasy masterpiece, vol 1 of 6)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ok, so I want to read some historical fiction. I'm thinking I should start with something by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Alternatively, I recently bought a copy of Ivanhoe at a yard sale. Also the guy who posts those long screeds about how Rothfuss is a literary terrorist is constantly championing a book called the Egyptian, by Mika Waltari. Any of you ever read this? Any other suggestions? Although I'm most in the mood for early modern period and before, anything's fine really.

Solitair posted:

The Player's Handbook of Laughter and Forgetting

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Roll D20 to determine chance of crying tears that smell of your lover's breath

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You open the chest to find a pen that can write only the dreams of soldiers who died away from home +1

So do you want additional mechanics credits, or...?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Ok, so I want to read some historical fiction. Any other suggestions?

So do you want additional mechanics credits, or...?

Admittedly I am not the biggest fan of historical fiction but my go-to is always EL Doctorow

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Admittedly I am not the biggest fan of historical fiction but my go-to is always EL Doctorow

I've actually always meant to read Ragtime.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I've actually always meant to read Ragtime.

Its really really good even though the historical "cameos" can be sometimes really obnoxious

Ta-Nehisi Coates did a pretty great tribute to the book when Doctorow died.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Since I just posted on it - for historical fiction, so far I can recommend Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber. Dickens whilst accepting that prostitutes have sex for cash and need to attend to ablutions.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Ok, so I want to read some historical fiction.

If Ivanhoe taints your vision of the Middle Ages 'The Name of the Rose' is a great antidote

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Solitair posted:

So where do I start on Richard Powers? I looked up all his books and it seems like Plowing the Dark and The Time of Our Singing interest me the most conceptually.

I have now discovered that Richard and Tim Powers are different people. :saddowns:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So it seems like The Vegetarian is pretty universally liked around here? Think I might pick it up next week.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Yo make some room in the Vann Van, I'm hopping in. Just finished Aquarium. So sweet and so savage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

knees of putty posted:

Since I just posted on it - for historical fiction, so far I can recommend Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber. Dickens whilst accepting that prostitutes have sex for cash and need to attend to ablutions.
I've heard that this is really bad and the few excerpts I've read from it are not encouraging

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Lightning Lord posted:

Ok, so I want to read some historical fiction. I'm thinking I should start with something by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Alternatively, I recently bought a copy of Ivanhoe at a yard sale. Also the guy who posts those long screeds about how Rothfuss is a literary terrorist is constantly championing a book called the Egyptian, by Mika Waltari. Any of you ever read this? Any other suggestions? Although I'm most in the mood for early modern period and before, anything's fine really.

How serious you want your historical fic? Sienkiewicz is good but he won't dazzle you, he's more like a proper old-school historian with some great writing chops instead of somebody like Amin Maalouf who cares more about entertaining the reader. I've been thinking about Waltari, but he seems to be all about re-creating history, i.e., worldbuilding, which is less interesting to me. Maurice Druon is the one for action-y novels of the era (ok, Hundred Years War) that still manage to rise above hack and slash.

Or, if you prefer historical novels that are really about something else, check out Kadare's The Siege and Pamuk's My Name Is Red. Ivo Andrič's The Damned Yard is really good, too, and unfortunately half-forgotten.

Also, in before Graves, Yourcenar and Renault gets mentioned.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lightning Lord posted:

please read hadji murad

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

So it seems like The Vegetarian is pretty universally liked around here? Think I might pick it up next week.

No it's terrible, read Malazan instead. There's far more elf wizards and sword fights and each one is 800 pages long!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

I've been thinking about Waltari, but he seems to be all about re-creating history, i.e., worldbuilding, which is less interesting to me.

Good "world-building" is just a tool for storytelling, and Waltari indeed never uses it anything but in service of the story. The Egyptian, for example, actually uses the ancient world to look at the 20th Century. When the book arrives at the ancient Hittite Empire, for example, it's a rather obvious stand in for Fascism:

quote:

“Have your gods nothing to say about this? In other countries it is often they who determine what is right and what wrong.”

“Right and wrong? Right is what we desire, and wrong is what our neighbors desire. That is a very simple principle that facilitates both life and statesmanship and that in my opinion differs little from the teaching of the gods in the plains. As I understand it, these gods hold that to be right which the wealthy desire and that wrong which the poor desire.”

“The more I learn about the gods the sadder I become,” I said dejectedly.

That evening I told Minea, “I have learned enough about the land of Hatti and have found what I came to seek. I am ready to leave, for there is a smell of corpses here, and it stifles me. Death broods over me like an oppressive shade while I remain, and I don’t doubt the King would have me impaled on a stake if he knew what I have discovered. Let us flee from this corruption; it makes me feel that I would rather have been born a crow than a man.”

[...]

We left the fearful ramparts of Hattushash, behind which lurked the world of the future, and rode on our donkeys past the blinded slaves who turned the thundering millstones, past the corpses of sorcerers impaled on either side of the road.

(If I get a non-Finn to read The Egyptian in tyol 2016 then my posting career is complete)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 9, 2016

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've heard that this is really bad and the few excerpts I've read from it are not encouraging

The reviews I've seen are positive, but I'm sure you're more on the pulse than me. So far I'm enjoying it for its ridiculing of Victorian man. I can see it being disliked for being puffed up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

knees of putty posted:

Making a feature of it seems to ignore the fact that any work of fiction creates a world.

Actually, no work of fiction creates a world

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

A human heart posted:

Actually, no work of fiction creates a world

Well OK, a work of fiction creates a simulacrum of the world.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Waltari was suggested to Nobel committee at his time but they pretty much laughed it off and considered him lovely entertainment for masses, like older Ken Follet and Bernard Cornwell

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Good "world-building" is just a tool for storytelling, and Waltari indeed never uses it anything but in service of the story. The Egyptian, for example, actually uses the ancient world to look at the 20th Century. When the book arrives at the ancient Hittite Empire, for example, it's a rather obvious stand in for Fascism:

(If I get a non-Finn to read The Egyptian in tyol 2016 then my posting career is complete)
That seems interesting, but the excerpt sounds like it's from a fantasy novel, tbh. Two of my (non-Finn) friends actualy read The Egyptian in the last couple of years, but they made it sound as if the best part was how believable was the world the author showed.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why does the excerpt sound like it's from a fantasy novel?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Enfys posted:

Why does the excerpt sound like it's from a fantasy novel?

Maybe the author reads a lot of fantasy novels and likes the style.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

Worldbuilding in genre fantasy is usually "wouldn't it be cool if...", in lit it's more like "what if.."., I don't think anyone has problems with imaginative worlds per se. I mean, off top of my head: Infinite Jest is scifi, Against the Day (Pynchon) has steampunk stuff, The Road (McCarthy) has extremely trendy dystopian/apocalyptic setting and Jose Saramago could be called fantasy author. Borges and others too. They aren't poo poo tough and they sure as hell don't even know what worldbuilding is

Really, all books are fantasy because nothing actually exists

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Watching you guys make fun of fantasy is like listening to the band kids make fun of the anime club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

blue squares posted:

Watching you guys make fun of fantasy is like listening to the band kids make fun of the anime club

that was my point on the last page but it seems to have gone over mallamp & co 's heads