Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sagebrush posted:

e: here's a video of the sort of performance you can expect. interesting takeoff strategy this guy has (you're supposed to hand launch it and belly-land, though I'm thinking of printing some little nylon wheels and a tail skid for mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOGwIRbwvI
What the hell? Does that guy think that is how you are supposed to take off? I kind of wonder if he sits there thinking "Wow, how do guys do such smooth take offs in their rc planes?!?!"

Sagebrush posted:

Can RC helicopters really autorotate effectively? It doesn't seem like the rotor has enough mass to really pull that off.

e: well, whaddaya know. Looks like you can only do it for a few seconds, but if you time it right that's all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq8bk8ctTE

I've seen guys practicing their auto-rotation landings. I'm not much of a helicopter guy, but I did just get a 270 CFX to try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Is there anyway to build a multi-rotor that will compete with a phantom in ease of use? been thinking about picking up a phantom 3 standard, since they are pretty cheap now, but was wondering if something like a flame wheel 450/550 with a naza would be just as good, or better. Think it might be tough to beat though, as the FC and a gimbal can easily cost more then a P3.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I mostly wanted to get as far away from him as possible so I wouldn't be around him if he did end up crashing. I'm surprised he didn't get pulled aside, as there was a bunch of cops there and the police chopper was circling the place because of the event.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The problem I have with it is that DIY gets shafted hard, while RTF gets basically scot-free. Which is utterly backwards, considering what sort of drones are prominent in incident reports and which not.

It really put into focus how easy it is to get up and flying these days, and that it's fools with a ton of money that are more of a danger rather than the kit itself. Dude didn't even seem to understand what RFI is and what could cause it. It definitely made me rethink some of my opinions on legislation around UAVs, but I'm still not sure what a good solution would be. Maybe something like an amateur radio license for something over a certain size/weight, where you have to demonstrate understanding of the concepts and responsibility involved with building and operating these machines?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Can RC helicopters really autorotate effectively? It doesn't seem like the rotor has enough mass to really pull that off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCmcHlfH9Q&t=567s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Coxswain Balls posted:

It really put into focus how easy it is to get up and flying these days, and that it's fools with a ton of money that are more of a danger rather than the kit itself. Dude didn't even seem to understand what RFI is and what could cause it. It definitely made me rethink some of my opinions on legislation around UAVs, but I'm still not sure what a good solution would be. Maybe something like an amateur radio license for something over a certain size/weight, where you have to demonstrate understanding of the concepts and responsibility involved with building and operating these machines?
Yeah, the idea is that if you can muster up the necessary knowledge and skills to solder some poo poo together and configure it to fly, then you probably also have the sort of common sense to not do that poo poo that gets drones a bad rap in the news all the time. On the other hand, there's exceptions to everything. Seeing the dumb poo poo in dRonin IRC and the BrainFPV support group on FB once a while for instance... Either way, with a 250gr AUW limit, you might aswell scrap the models.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Unsane posted:

Is there anyway to build a multi-rotor that will compete with a phantom in ease of use? been thinking about picking up a phantom 3 standard, since they are pretty cheap now, but was wondering if something like a flame wheel 450/550 with a naza would be just as good, or better. Think it might be tough to beat though, as the FC and a gimbal can easily cost more then a P3.

No. I mean yeah maybe, a Naza can be pretty easy to operate, but you will spend a shitload of money to build a multirotor with it, easily double the cost of a used base phantom, with shorter flight times, no HD downlink, no sonar, and no optical flow. It makes zero sense to build your own aircraft to do what a Phantom does unless you enjoy the challenge/tinkering or are doing something that a Phantom can't.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Honestly, after looking into the FAA remote pilot certification to make my pending FPV shenanigans legal, I think the FAA is on the right track. It's really not a big deal - study, pass a $150 test that makes sure you know about airspace and flying rules, and you're all set. If you don't want to do that, putter around LOS in your back yard or at an AMA field.

Sure, some of the regulations are not totally to my liking, but you can request a waiver any of the FAA regulations for up to four years for a specific location. I have no idea how forthcoming the FAA is with those waivers, but the paperwork made it seem like they have no problem providing them as long as you're not suggesting something crazy. If that's the case it seems eminently reasonable.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 3, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been studying with the asa prepare and that made me think a bit about the recent google promo of delivering a chipotle burrito. The FAA is pretty explicit in its assertion that you can't carry someone else's cargo on a drone out of VLOS (or pilot it while in a vehicle, or over state lines), and they specifically said that they would not be providing waivers for this.

Are they operating under a special exemption granted with an earlier 333 exemption, or is there something else going on?

edit: oh duh, they're only going across a lawn to an adjacent building. I think its real interesting how much they are against drones for delivering goods right now though.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 3, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

:canada: this is a huge no-no and if you want to be a vigilante narc that fucker out to Transport Canada.

And then watch nothing happen to them. Transport Canada doesn't have the manpower to actually enforce the rules. The number of people that have gotten fines in Canada is absolutely minuscule.

If the person doing it isn't a commercial operator there is even less chance that they will do anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'd bet that approximately 12 hours after the first successful commercial drone delivery, we'll hear about the first successful shooting-down of a commercial drone for its cargo.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Personally I'm building a heavy lift drone with a net underneath it so I can become a real sky pirate.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nobody cared who I was until I put on the net...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmKN-R0AuI

is this "gyro placement demo" supposed to be a joke

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hate everything about this video gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if the advice isn't coming from a moustachio'd twink i don't want it. :colbert:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thats not how I'd describe Bruce but ok

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Finalglideaus made a video with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulVcy7u-Zi8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I hate everything about this video gently caress

that guy's face is way too fat for his glasses

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Betaflight is really way above my pay grade. Every time I feel like I'm learning how to set it up and tune it, something else sets me back.

I've been having issues with my motors pulsing and vibrating along different points on the throttle, so today I went on to a local chatroom to try and figure out the issue. After going through every possible mechanical and software solution, someone realized I was using the current BF configurator with the not-current BF version. The result is my PID values being written at 100x what the configurator shows. So even though my PIDS were tuned against each other and the quad flew reasonably well, the ESCs and motors were literally (solder was flowing) burning up. :sigh: I'm expecting a huge improvement with some tuning once I take it out tomorrow, at which point I'll probably fly it full-speed into a wall.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Thats not how I'd describe Bruce but ok

oh yeah greybeard new zealanders too

also rofl at ~5:50 in that raceflight video you can just barely hear the guy recording say "...lets not show that one." when the guy secures the board with his hands and the seeds in the center start vibrating

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Betaflight is really way above my pay grade. Every time I feel like I'm learning how to set it up and tune it, something else sets me back.

I've been having issues with my motors pulsing and vibrating along different points on the throttle, so today I went on to a local chatroom to try and figure out the issue. After going through every possible mechanical and software solution, someone realized I was using the current BF configurator with the not-current BF version. The result is my PID values being written at 100x what the configurator shows. So even though my PIDS were tuned against each other and the quad flew reasonably well, the ESCs and motors were literally (solder was flowing) burning up. :sigh: I'm expecting a huge improvement with some tuning once I take it out tomorrow, at which point I'll probably fly it full-speed into a wall.
For all of that stuff step 1 of troubleshooting is always "are you running the latest everything"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmKN-R0AuI

is this "gyro placement demo" supposed to be a joke
:barf:

Oh god, these people piss me off soooooo much!

Before, them and their legion of lemmings kept boasting about how super loving awesome their firmware is, how it nips noise right in the bud, how supersmooth it'd make everything, and now they suddenly have to redo their flight controller because their dumbass super secret gyro picks up vibrations that their magic algorithms can't do away? Because the gyro is offset an (--edit:)half an inch? Most flight controllers they've made people run their betas on have similar offsets, and no one noticed? The irony in this is loving hilarious.

And suddenly there's this new RF1 codebase? Where did that come from? Been a year working on it? Why all this hullabaloo about this "regular" Raceflight, which was supposedly a complete rewrite, turned out not to be?

I'm trolling these idiots a bit, and their new argument is that this is supposed to be guaranteed new code, solely on the reason that it uses the STM HAL now instead of that home-spun device code. Like it's loving impossible to port existing code onto a new runtime. And why was there months of testing of the Cleanflight derived code, when it's practically made obsolete in a few weeks, by quasi untested code in comparison?

:psypop:

Also, their super secret gyro is a goddamn simple MPU6500-compatible Invensense gyro. Most people with experience with the Invensense range expect it to be as sensitive to high frequency noise as the existing range found on quads.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 5, 2016

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

For all of that stuff step 1 of troubleshooting is always "are you running the latest everything"

Yeah, it's frustrating for someone who doesn't naturally like to be constantly updating and early adopting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Yeah, it's frustrating for someone who doesn't naturally like to be constantly updating and early adopting.
I've got a gasser dyhedral balsa plane you might be interested in.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I've got a gasser dyhedral balsa plane you might be interested in.

Just as long as it keeps those drat kids off my lawn! :argh:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So... how does a generator simulate the vibration modes of a quad? Grass seed is a damping material. How does a sheet of plexi simulate FR4? I mean, if you've got an o-scope, a nail, and a peizo, you can "actually test the vibrations" on the board.

Jesus. *shakes head*

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Complete newbie checking in, just got a hubsan x4 h107c for my birthday. Learning to fly is harder than I thought. Practice practice practice time!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just don't fly it near any second story apartment roofs

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

just don't fly it near any second story apartment roofs

Am I missing a story or just being a dumb rear end crashing it on the roof and not being able to retrieve it?

I haven't even figured out trim, rolling, or pitch really yet -- only hovering and yawing to turn a bit. It barely gets 25 feet away from me before I set it down or crash -- no apartments in my future!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You missed the last ~ 15 pages apparently

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Duxwig posted:

Am I missing a story or just being a dumb rear end crashing it on the roof and not being able to retrieve it?

I haven't even figured out trim, rolling, or pitch really yet -- only hovering and yawing to turn a bit. It barely gets 25 feet away from me before I set it down or crash -- no apartments in my future!

'tis a sordid tale of legendary stupidity, alarmingly tall two story apartments and how hard it apparently is to get a ladder

look for my posts in this thread

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

So... how does a generator simulate the vibration modes of a quad? Grass seed is a damping material. How does a sheet of plexi simulate FR4? I mean, if you've got an o-scope, a nail, and a peizo, you can "actually test the vibrations" on the board.

Jesus. *shakes head*

precision machined baseballs

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Best Buy has the 3dr solo for $400 now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Best Buy has the 3dr solo for $400 now.
Is that a good price or something? I've had it on my radar for a few days now after the suggestion, and that just seems to be the going price on Amazon and such.

edit: hm apparently it's just been steadily dropping http://camelcamelcamel.com/3DR-SA11A-Solo-Drone-Quadcopter/product/B00ZPM7BOG

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It was $500 in abundle with the backpack a few months ago, that's just the first time I've seen it for $400. Maybe will drop for black friday.

edit: the $389 one on amazon doesn't have the gimbal.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

bring back old gbs posted:

precision machined baseballs

Massive balls to try to claim any of that demonstrates ~anything~. "our special gyro." f-off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The most hilarious section is the miniquad demo, fawning over how smooth the motors sound and "sync" (???). The gently caress? Any quad that has decent ESCs and no hosed up D-term and/or vibration issues just sound the same. And then they mention no oscillations, later they do a bunch of flips and every time they break the fall, the thing oscillates. It's like saying something makes it true or go away.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah that thing sounded jittery as gently caress. Also it's clear that the best way to capture the performance of a flight controller designed for FPV racing is LOS flying it filmed with a GoPro. :eng101:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BrainFPV announced availability of Betaflight 3 for the RE1 very soon. In case someone wants a nice flight controller, but doesn't agree with dRonin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got my capacitor soldered back on last night. Looks like a hot goddamn mess, I kinda want to redo it, but it's carrying voltage and seems sturdy enough--just looks rubbish, you can see the air gap under the cap because it doesn't sit flush. :shrug: