Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dr Sun Try posted:

protip:
build your house out of stones and concrete and hang your stuff anywhere you want.

Lifehack: chain yor bike to your concrete dwelling - no extra block needed!

I grew up in a house built of stone, and mostly we ended up just not hanging anything that couldn't be held up by tape because my dad could never be bothered to dig out a drill for proper mounts. Studs at a pain in the rear end for hanging shelves and so on, but it's nice to be able to pop a nail in drywall to hang a picture.

As a side effect, I used to think that people in TV/movies were super strong because they would get mad and punch dents in their walls, which I assumed were quarried stone just like mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:coal:

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Jealous Cow posted:

In that case would you use a concrete anchor rated to at least 400lbs?

of course!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jealous Cow posted:

In that case would you use a concrete anchor rated to at least 400lbs?

And risk someone stealing my house AND my motorcycle? Are you nuts?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That's loving awesome and is hitting all of my NEPA nostalgia buttons.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

crazy fire hazard though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

crazy fire hazard though

Is it actually coal or just black-painted block?

Even if it is coal, coal's at least as hard to start burning as wood is. Anthracite won't even start to glow until 600 C. Even bituminous needs to get around 200 C hotter to start burning than wood does.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coal is probably gonna slowly give off toxic fumes if it's not perfectly sealed, though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No problems with black mold - the black lung will get you first.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Anyone seen a wolf around here?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I still want to build a straw bale house. I don't think I could get it past building code here as a primary residence, but as a cabin or playhouse it'd probably pass muster.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

http://www.garrettwade.com/stud-finder-gp.html

This is the only kind of stud finder I've ever seen...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds like a lot of extra work when you could just paint stripes on your walls where the studs are.

whenever my dad took up the carpet and/or floorboards to do any DIY work, he did this with the floorboards. He'd mark the joists underneath, wiring runs, pipes, conduit, everything, then polyurethane it.

i hope his painstaking work has helped later owners of my dad's homes not accidentally drill into a gas line. :unsmith:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

peanut posted:

http://www.garrettwade.com/stud-finder-gp.html

This is the only kind of stud finder I've ever seen...

That's definitely better than the technique I learned contracting. A 16d nail and a hammer.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

accidentally drill into a gas line. :unsmith:

Ive done this. My wife ran outside and left me to die.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

whenever my dad took up the carpet and/or floorboards to do any DIY work, he did this with the floorboards. He'd mark the joists underneath, wiring runs, pipes, conduit, everything, then polyurethane it.

i hope his painstaking work has helped later owners of my dad's homes not accidentally drill into a gas line. :unsmith:

16 years ago, one of my fraternity brothers was trying to steal cable. He was drilling through the wall between rooms a hole big enough to string some coax through. Imagine the angle you'd have to hit a 1/2" copper pipe at with a 3/8" drill bit and not deflect off the pipe. Some people can unnaturally beat the odds.

I was the house manager. It was a good thing I identified the main water valve for the entire house earlier when another brother thought "what's that thing on the ceiling in the stairwell?" and flicked a sprinkler head.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 3, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Leperflesh posted:

Coal is probably gonna slowly give off toxic fumes if it's not perfectly sealed, though.

Jaguars! posted:

No problems with black mold - the black lung will get you first.

Isn't it full of radioactive isotopes, too?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Isn't it full of radioactive isotopes, too?

Yes. So are bananas, brazil nuts and granite countertops.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Coal plants release far more radioactivity than nuke plants.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Coal plants release far more radioactivity than nuke plants.

Well, that's not hard to believe since most nuclear plants typically give off less radiation than ambient.

Hell to use a previous metric, nuclear plants give off less radiation to the the surrounding environment than a bunch of bananas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yes. So are bananas, brazil nuts and granite countertops.

You don't normally live in a house made out of bananas, though, so I'm still curious about the health implications of living in a house made of coal.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

You don't normally live in a house made out of bananas, though, so I'm still curious about the health implications of living in a house made of coal.
Don't act like you know what I live in, man.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Be much more worried about dust and heavy metals from it than from any radioactivity, personally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coal is approximately or less radioactive than granite, and other stones commonly used for construction. Coal ash probably concentrates radioactive elements (having removed the carbon which makes up the bulk of the coal), but it's still not a significant source of radiation.

A little googling suggests that outgassing from coal is not generally discussed in terms of outgassing from a hunk of coal, but rather, outgassing within a mine shaft, which is very important to consider for maintaining a safe environment in a mine. Still, I found some discussion of coal weathering - which would relate to coal as a building material - that tells me that it depends a lot on whether the coal has been dried, and then, oxidization of the coal is a process that takes place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

Well, that's not hard to believe since most nuclear plants typically give off less radiation than ambient.

Hell to use a previous metric, nuclear plants give off less radiation to the the surrounding environment than a bunch of bananas.

That's true, so the comparison isn't that impressive. But coal plants burn a shitload of coal. Coal does contain trace uranium and thorium; uranium's present anywhere from 1 to 10 ppm of uranium and about 2.5 times as much thorium. The EPA examined a bunch of US samples and found an average of 1.3 ppm of uranium and 3.2 ppm thorium. Looking at how much coal we've burned and predicting how much coal we will burn gives for the period of 1937-2040 gives a total release from coal combustion of 145,000 tons of uranium, including 1000 tons of U-235, and 360,000 tons of thorium.

Total specific activity of natural uranium is 6.91E-7 curies per gram. Th-232's specific activity is 1.1E-7 curies per gram. That's about 91,000 curies (3.4 PBq) of uranium and 36,000 curies (1.3 PBq) of thorium. By comparison, Chernobyl released about 8200 PBq of fission fragments.

What toxic gases will a solid block of coal emit just sitting there? If you're in a confined and nonventilated space surrounded by coal you can get depleted of oxygen and asphyxiate because the atmospheric oxygen will react with the carbon to form CO2, but that's not going to happen in an above-ground building with exterior coal walls. It can have pockets of hydrocarbon gases which you can release if you break them open, and it will outgas if you heat it up, but big solid blocks of it sitting there at ambient temperature won't emit much of anything. I mean, yeah, it's got radioisotopes in it but so does the gypsum in your drywall and the granite in your countertops (10-20 ppm).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So what I am getting from that is that I should not plan to burn my drywall as a fuel source?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Even without the radiation, isn't coal one of those "welcome to cancer-town" substances like dioxins or heavy metals?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

there wolf posted:

Even without the radiation, isn't coal one of those "welcome to cancer-town" substances like dioxins or heavy metals?

Unless you've pulverizing it into a fine powder and inhaling it, no, not really. Burning a lot of coal and just letting the combustion products float off into the atmosphere is very bad. A solid block of coal sitting there on the ground is pretty innocuous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

there wolf posted:

Mostly only in dust form. It leads to lung cancer in the same way silicosis in people working long term with fine sand or smoking do. Like tar or silicon particles, the body can't do anything to remove coal dust from the lungs, so it builds up and can eventually cause fibrosis.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also note that coal's combustion byproducts are really nasty. Coal tar was one of the first substances to be recognized as carcinogenic, when doctors started paying attention to how chimney sweeps kept dying of weird cancers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: natural gas is so‐named because it was an alternative for coal gas, obtained by heating coal in an anærobic environment.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Fun fact: natural gas is so‐named because it was an alternative for coal gas, obtained by heating coal in an anærobic environment.

Coal gas heating systems also being common in homes, with combustion occurring in each room for heat and light. It's really a pity that they didn't manage to burn down every Victorian house with this system.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MMH has an especially ridiculous house this week.

The whole thing is impressively tacky, but that catwalk-staircase-indoor column forest thing is just plain weird and pointless since it blocks the light from all those ginormous windows. I wonder how many times the owners have accidentally bonked their head on it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love when mmh features one ridiculous house. I particularly liked that 90s time capsule.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ashcans posted:

As a side effect, I used to think that people in TV/movies were super strong because they would get mad and punch dents in their walls, which I assumed were quarried stone just like mine.

:hfive:

I grew up in a house made entirely of concrete block. Similar experiences on all counts.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Those "1987" drape things remind me of Bioshock. Also I think my kitchen has that tile. :negative:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So turns out the two outlets in my parents master bath are in series with the GFCI in the garage on the other side of the house :psyduck:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

So turns out the two outlets in my parents master bath are in series with the GFCI in the garage on the other side of the house :psyduck:

GFCIs are expensive!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

What kind of voltage does the third one see with a table saw and blow dryer going at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

devicenull posted:

GFCIs are expensive!

Oh god damnit I was wracking my brain trying to figure out WHY and now it makes sense. First receptacle in the series has to be GFCI, so I guess it technically meets the letter of the code but not the spirit.

Ugh.