Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Do you feel lucky? I'd give it a wider berth if possible.

Edit: grab a piece of rebar and poke around to verify their markings.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

It's not really a tool, but as new homeowners my wife and I are quickly finding we need more space to store all of the tools and landscaping stuff we're accumulating. We don't have a garage and our crawlspace is a pain in the rear end to access.

We're looking for about an 8'x12' shed with a door or double doors that open on the wider 12' side. What I want to know is what everyone recommends in terms of material recommendations: metal (don't really want it), wood, or plastic/resin? Also, any suggestions for manufacturers or brands? We're not completely rigid on the idea of a 8x12 and would entertain other sizes as well, but at least 8' in one dimension.

It will be located against a ~6' wooden privacy fence in a heavily shaded area.

If there's a better thread for this sort of thing, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I recommend wood with exposed studs, I am in the process of putting French cleats everywhere to make my poor mans track storage system for all the crap you're talking about in my shed. Pro tip if you are likely to get a big mower deck in the future, a lot of the standard doors won't handle the bigger (like 54" wide) ones , so it may pay to plan for that or you're not gonna be able to bring home that sweet $16k garden tractor and store it in the shed. Sadly I have no experience with he other materials, the house came with the one we have. Oh also you will have mice in there, hope you don't mind your mower vaporizing a family of mice every spring.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Yep. Called them yesterday.

I'm still terrified of hitting a line that they didn't mark right. I had planned on digging the trench like 2 feet away from the existing line. Is that enough, do you think?

Don't worry, those things are always pinpoint accurate and

SoundMonkey posted:

i halfassed up a little pond at my old rental place. i hate pond liner, i think it looks like poo poo, so i went googling. turns out bentonite clay, aka loving walmart cat litter, makes an excellent pond liner when prepared properly

in other news, i was digging the trench to my shed to run power to it, and the gas line was in fact buried at 10", not 24" as specified on the drawings the gas company sent me when i got the dig permit. that's one loving spade thrust and you're hitting gas line. the gas company said "the ground may have shifted."

this is why i was using small hand tools only within 2' of where i figured the line was

it's hard to see in the picture but there's more than a foot of air under where that line runs to where they said it ran

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Don't worry, those things are always pinpoint accurate and

Oh you reminded me... the town has been digging up the road for a variety of reasons. They called out the gas company, who marked some stuff and indicated that the supply to our house was in one place.

A few months later we have the gas company out replacing the meter, which requires them to find the street-side shutoff. After about an hour of dicking around, they find the shutoff about 15 feet from where they had initially marked, which was a couple feet away from where the town dug a massive hole.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Dukket posted:

I know this is generally about new tools...

So for better or worse I picked up this old Craftsman table saw. I managed to bust the on/off switch in transport :( I'm guessing isn't that hard to fix, its just a light switch.

I'm not very tool smart so my terms may be a bit off, sorry.

So, I noticed that both pulleys are not spinning true. Upon further inspection I realized that they both are missing their keys. The pulleys and the shafts are a bit beat up, I'm wondering finding new keys would be enough to solve the problem or I need/should replace the pulleys as well. Sears still has some of the arbor pulleys in stock for $14 +sh, though I have a feeling that if I looked around a bit more I could probably find them for a bit cheaper. The outside of the pulley seems fine, its just the inside looks pretty worn.

I"m GUESSING that the used the same keys for many models.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any advice on cordless lawn tools? I need a hedge trimmer and I am sick of the cords. Weed whacker using the same batteries would be a nice addition.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

Any advice on cordless lawn tools? I need a hedge trimmer and I am sick of the cords. Weed whacker using the same batteries would be a nice addition.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo I could build a cart for it and wheel it down the hedges.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

shovelbum posted:

I have the Makita hedge trimmer and 36v weed whacker and they're both great for my heavily bushed half acre. The weed whacker is at about half battery when I finish trimming everything. They both take the same batteries (the weed whacker uses two at a time) and it's the same batteries as my drill, impact driver, and saw. I got the weed whacker kit that comes with two batteries, a dual charger, and an angle grinder because why not.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

shovelbum posted:

Bought the rayobi 40v stuff a few years ago. Have the weed whacker and jet blower. Both are fantastic. I can do 3 or 4 trim jobs on my .4 acre lawn on one charge. The jet blower is great as a quick handy tool, but no where near as powerful as gas.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got 18v Ryobi stuff (trimmer, leaf blower) and for my suburban .4 acres it's totally fine. The leaf blower was more powerful than I expected it to be.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm looking to get started; I don't have a "basic" tool set at all, only random poo poo like a hammer and pliers.

Does this (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-a-main/ville-de-montreal/malette-a-outils-70-pieces/1269901393?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) look like it would be worth 40$?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Colonel J posted:

I'm looking to get started; I don't have a "basic" tool set at all, only random poo poo like a hammer and pliers.

Does this (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-a-main/ville-de-montreal/malette-a-outils-70-pieces/1269901393?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) look like it would be worth 40$?

Depends what you're going to do, looks like you've got most common things you could need there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colonel J posted:

I'd personally rather spend a little more for a better quality set. Who knows, I've never heard of that brand (maybe it's fine?) and it looks like cheap china stuff like most in that price range anyway. There's usually deals at costco for a decent set for under ~$70. Not sure what that means in canuck bux and what's available there, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel J posted:

You can get most of that stuff at a dollar store for cheaper.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I got my kids a starter toolbox toolbox set almost exclusively made up of Stanley stuff from Wal-Mart and grabbing sales at Ace hardware, and they have a much better setup than that thing for about $50 USD. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I picked up the 24" EGO hedge trimmers and weed whacker today. They were the same price as Ryobi (on sale?) and seem to have better reviews for battery life - I guess we'll see.

edit: I also got a 6 foot fiberglass step ladder, I have no idea how I was getting by without one and decided to pick one up. 16 ft aluminum extension ladder is probably gonna never see anything but gutter cleaning again.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 4, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Colonel J posted:

Hey what will you mostly be using the tools for, also?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Hey what will you mostly be using the tools for, also?
So far nothing too concrete, I wanted to start working on my bike brakes and I need long nose pliers (which I don't have) and a something-sized wrench (don't know the size). Instead of buying only the specific I thought there might be value in looking for a premade base kit, as I've bought "just the tools I've needed" in dollar stores before and it's kind of annoying as they tend to be real cheap and I don't like having just part of a full wrench kit for example, makes keeping track of what I have harder. Now I have more money, time and space than I used to, so I'd like to invest a bit for stability.

I went and bought a set of Mastercraft wrench/pliers from Canadian Tire, (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-6-piece-wrench-plier-set-0584790p.html#srp), theyr're rebated at like 75% so seems like a good deal. Thinking of supplemting with something like http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-wrench-set-30-pc-0589153p.html#srp,, heavily rebated too, but that might be overkill, or finding a cheaper set might be easier.
edit: actually thinking of it I have a 30$ rebate at CanTire lying about. I'll probably just spend it on that.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 5, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Trip Report:

Was in the market for a weed wacker, and I was sick and tired of cheap Toro/BD corded ones. Big Orange was running a promo where buying the Milwaukee cordless trimmer gives you a free ~$120 tool or battery. So for $299, I got the trimmer, 9Ah battery, and a 5Ah battery. (https://slickdeals.net/f/10105432-milwaukee-string-trimmer-with-free-tool-for-299#commentsBox)

So far, I'm in love. Even the slow setting is enough to clobber my small yard, and I think the 9Ah battery would easily last over the hour they claim. The bump feed works, and the included string lasts suprisingly well doing edging. Overall, the tool feels high quality and well-built. Not as powerful as gas, but it spins up instantly, and it's quiet.

The $300 tag feels steep, but I have a Milwaukee drill and driver, so the batteries will come in handy. I also didn't want to deal with a 2-smoke wacker, as I think I've pulled my shoulder many times before trying to start stubborn (sat for more than a month) ones.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Katosabi posted:

Definitely buy a Honda over anything else if you can. Husqvarna can't compete with them for walk behind mowers, just look at the things like the height adjusters and the handlebars side by side if you can. Honda uses a 1 piece handlebar that doesn't ever get loose, where Husqvarna uses a 2 piece design that will. Not to say the Husqvarna is bad, it's just not as good; typically the Honda is worth the $100-120 extra and every piece of the Honda is that more robust.

Briggs are ok, but like Husqvarna they're just ok. I'm not a fan, but they'll cut grass and have all the same fuel issues a Honda will.

If you buy a Lawn Boy and take it somewhere to be repaired, all of the technicians will judge you.

Thank you, Honda HRR2169 it is. $120 more than the Lawn-Boy thanks to a Honda promo and $70 more than a Husqy, all with the same motor.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
More recommendation time:

I need to get a power washer. I would prefer to get an electric one, but drat if they don't all seem like total junk.

Immediately it will be used to power wash the house prior to painting, and then used as normal for deck, driveway, house, etc...

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

I need to get a power washer. I would prefer to get an electric one, but drat if they don't all seem like total junk.

Immediately it will be used to power wash the house prior to painting, and then used as normal for deck, driveway, house, etc...

Pretty sure electric pressure washers are considered disposable. And way less powerful than gas ones. Not sure if you need the power of a gas washer though.

See if you can find a cheap second hand electric on Craigslist or a pawn shop maybe? I got mine on Amazon (it's blue, not sure of the brand) but for the amount of use I get from it, in future I'd just buy used and save some money.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
They can be comparably powerful to gas at almost half the price

I've had mine for years (blue also) and it's run great and served me well, it does well on concrete, decking, and siding. A high pressure gas, or the one I linked would go a lot quicker than the one I have (about 1200 psi) but they're awesome. Much lighter and less of a pain in the rear end than a gas one. Less to go wrong on them and break. They're cheap enough so that if and when they break i don't feel bad going out and getting a new one (hasn't happened yet, going on 5 years now with mild usage) and the few times I actually need a pressure washer, and I assume the few time the average homeowner does, they're way less of a hassle to use, and store. No oil to change, gas to keep, or big bulk lines to deal with. Unless you plan on using your pressure washer on a very regular basis for big jobs I wouldn't even consider a gas one. There's no reason to invest the money i something that will probably rust out before you ever got your money's worth.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
X-Post from the fix-it thread:

I'm installing new baseboard this weekend, and it's got me thinking about maybe getting a compressor and nail gun (since I've got so much I have to install...I could do it by hand, but it would take a while.)

Lowe's has a pretty good deal right now on a Hitachi 6-gallon pancake compressor WITH an 18-GA brad nailer for $150.

My concern is that 18GA brads might not be secure enough for baseboard. It's pretty standard size, 9/16" wide by 3 1/4" tall. It IS 'finger-jointed, pre-primed', though, so part of me wonders if 16GA finish nails might be too damaging? I've never worked with finger-jointed pieces before.

If I do need a 16GA nailer, there's a Bostich deal that's a same-sized compressor and comes with an 18GA gun, 16GA gun, and a stapler for $200. But I'd prefer not to spend that much since I'm already buying a miter saw for this (used, at least, but still costs money.)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DrBouvenstein posted:

X-Post from the fix-it thread:

I'm installing new baseboard this weekend, and it's got me thinking about maybe getting a compressor and nail gun (since I've got so much I have to install...I could do it by hand, but it would take a while.)

Lowe's has a pretty good deal right now on a Hitachi 6-gallon pancake compressor WITH an 18-GA brad nailer for $150.

My concern is that 18GA brads might not be secure enough for baseboard. It's pretty standard size, 9/16" wide by 3 1/4" tall. It IS 'finger-jointed, pre-primed', though, so part of me wonders if 16GA finish nails might be too damaging? I've never worked with finger-jointed pieces before.

If I do need a 16GA nailer, there's a Bostich deal that's a same-sized compressor and comes with an 18GA gun, 16GA gun, and a stapler for $200. But I'd prefer not to spend that much since I'm already buying a miter saw for this (used, at least, but still costs money.)

Having installed literal miles of that poo poo in my salad days, we always used 15 or 16 gauge nailers. If you use 2 or 2 1/2" nails, you can toenail down into the plate all the way instead of marking studs. On outside corners, I'd use an 18 GA pin-nailer to pop the corners together without them splitting.......*shudders*

That said, there's now CO2 nailers and battery ones which eliminate the need for hose and compressor, but I really can't say much on that.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't have one but I watched this vid recently where a pressure washer is made into a sort of water jet cutter, and the model he uses seems decent for the price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc

Link from his vid desc: https://www.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-Pressure-14-5-Amp-Electric/dp/B00CPGMUXW

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

That said, there's now CO2 nailers and battery ones which eliminate the need for hose and compressor, but I really can't say much on that.

The battery ones, like most battery tools, are a big downgrade compared to the "corded" versions. They have an annoying "charge up" period where the internal piston is compressing air to fire the nail, where the air-based ones will fire as quickly as you can pull the trigger. They are also much more expensive than the air-based ones, since the gun has to have a motor, battery pack, electronics, etc. You basically make a tradeoff for everything (cost, speed, power, weight) for a single benefit: portability.

That said, they have their uses. If I was a handyman that did light work, I would hate to have to lug a compressor and hose around with me to a client's house to pin a few boards. If I'm at home, doing a fair amount of trim, I'll bring the compressor into the room, with a nice long hose, and rock on with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

peepsalot posted:

I don't have one but I watched this vid recently where a pressure washer is made into a sort of water jet cutter, and the model he uses seems decent for the price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc

Link from his vid desc: https://www.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-Pressure-14-5-Amp-Electric/dp/B00CPGMUXW

I have the feeling that this sort of "more power" hack will fail spectacularly, like something produced by Tim the Toolman Taylor. Jerry rigging a high pressure system sounds scary to me.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Thank you, Honda HRR2169 it is. $120 more than the Lawn-Boy thanks to a Honda promo and $70 more than a Husqy, all with the same motor.

No problem! Just keep clean oil and air filters in it and it'll last drat near forever. Also, if you ever have fuel issues, carbs are typically $25 so just chuck it and go buy a new one, it's not even worth cleaning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rutibex posted:

I have the feeling that this sort of "more power" hack will fail spectacularly, like something produced by Tim the Toolman Taylor. Jerry rigging a high pressure system sounds scary to me.

It's a race between him losing fingers, suffering a hydraulic injection injury or the pump exploding in his face.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to staple carpet to wood to make a cat scratching post. But the DeWalt "heavy duty" staple gun that I have isn't doing the job (this is the one I've got). The staples only go about 80% into the carpet/wood. And its penetration is inconsistent.

What're some better options for a staple gun? Am I headed into pneumatic staple gun territory, at this point?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

I'm trying to staple carpet to wood to make a cat scratching post. But the DeWalt "heavy duty" staple gun that I have isn't doing the job (this is the one I've got). The staples only go about 80% into the carpet/wood. And its penetration is inconsistent.

What're some better options for a staple gun? Am I headed into pneumatic staple gun territory, at this point?

Have you tried one of the hammer shaped staple guns, aka a hammer tacker? You may want to practice on some scrap until you get the swing right.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 11, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, a hammer stapler is the bomb. I did insulation for one year underneath old homes, and I had two hammer staplers on me at all times to tack up the tyvek before blowing in the insulation.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Aka a slapper, which is also brit slang. I was going to go for that joke, but couldn't be arsed

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If there's only a few not going in just follow them in with a hammer. I wouldn't have thought cat scratching part is "hundreds of dollars in new tools" territory ?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Then you lack ambition.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

If there's only a few not going in just follow them in with a hammer. I wouldn't have thought cat scratching part is "hundreds of dollars in new tools" territory ?

?

Also good to have if you ever reupholster anything. I had two of these: one company supplied, and one I bought myself, both Bostitch. Really handy, and I got good penetration with only sometimes 2 feet to swing the thing.

A $5 hammer works, too :v:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

I actually tried that, but then I noticed that the staples were getting damaged and just splintering off, exposing broken-off staples blades. And since our two fuzzy cats will be jumping all over the scratching post I didn't want to risk leaving those in. The staples are aluminum and DeWalt brand. Are there any of non-aluminum type staples that aren't complete poo poo, made-in-China quality that can stand up to a few whacks of a hammer?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, a hammer stapler is the bomb. I did insulation for one year underneath old homes, and I had two hammer staplers on me at all times to tack up the tyvek before blowing in the insulation.
I thought of getting one, and while it'll work on the longer parts of the post (like the main column), I still need something for the inner corners of the box-shaped perches.

All I wanted to do was re-carpet a scratching post. Dammit.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If staples are causing that many problems, dont use staples. Get some wood screws, enough washers for each screw, and screw the carpet on. Will last longer than staples, and will be easier to remove when you are done.