Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Looks blue to me. How old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

iRend posted:

My boy having a kip with his girlfriend (who has since been removed as he was getting a bit crazy)

e: I've just seen a ceres image and it's quite possibly my boy is a girl

Pretty sure that's a boy. Do you have a UV light of any kind?

I've made a huge mistake: one of Yoshi's "toys" is my old, dead i-phone, and one of his favorite games is me moving it towards him like I'm chasing him, and whistling the "Pac Man eating dots" sound. Now once, and only once, he screamed and screamed when I wasn't paying attention to him, then flew over to the phone and made that sound with whistling. I can't get him to do it again, and I really want to show my wife!

Also, he's taken to trolling me: when he's on my shoulder and I take a few chugs of anything, he makes his "running water" sound at me.

e: iRend, is he part English? I don't know why, but I'm somehow guessing he's a tall budgie. He's soooo puff. :shobon:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 10, 2017

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I think I might have a bird obsession/problem.

I went to see Neil Gaiman in Wolf Trap yesterday. He sort of plans his shows around index cards from the audience with questions and requests. My index card said, "What is your opinion on birds?" with the underline and everything.

Anyhow, near the end of the show, from a list of what he said were 600 questions, mine got picked. His response? "I think they are a good thing."

On the other hand, someone asked him to recite The Jabberwock and he did so from memory, so we're all strange humans, I think.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone know where I can find a cover that would fit what I believe is the smallest version of this cage, playstand included? The largest Prevue branded cover does not fit according. Bonus points if it ships to Canada. I'm trying so hard to stick to 12/12 for the birds (it's still plenty light late in the evening this far north). Bradbury seems fine but Mochi gets so testy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone else have spider birds that love to hang on your door frames?

They have 20 other places to perch but they love to fly up to the door frames and Horus is usually afraid to come down on his own.

I got them a pair of nice standing perches recently and they're taking to them nicely.

Bonus 1 and a half birds

e: more birds. I need to get a new camera or something because they always stop whatever cute thing they're doing when they see my phone.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 10, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Inglonias posted:

I think I might have a bird obsession/problem.

I went to see Neil Gaiman in Wolf Trap yesterday. He sort of plans his shows around index cards from the audience with questions and requests. My index card said, "What is your opinion on birds?" with the underline and everything.

Anyhow, near the end of the show, from a list of what he said were 600 questions, mine got picked. His response? "I think they are a good thing."

On the other hand, someone asked him to recite The Jabberwock and he did so from memory, so we're all strange humans, I think.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19081-birds-are-the-last-of-the-dinosaurs-tiny-velociraptors-with

quote:

“Birds are the last of the dinosaurs. Tiny velociraptors with wings. Devouring defenseless wiggly things and, and nuts, and fish, and, and other birds. They get the early worms. And have you ever watched a chicken eat? They may look innocent, but birds are, well, they're vicious. ”

the scars on my fingers can confirm

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Tiny????

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Literally cannot be real :3:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Birds: dinosaurs and living pompoms simultaneously somehow

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dang they're cute

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Tsaedje posted:

Birds: dinosaurs and living pompoms simultaneously somehow

Or they evolve into dinosaurs from pompoms with legs

Baby cassowaries :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

Or they evolve into dinosaurs from pompoms with legs

Baby cassowaries :3:

baby murderbirds are so cute

not all baby murderbirds, mind you, but baby cassowary-style murderbirds are incredibly cute

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Not all murderbirds have cute kids, but all birds are murderbirds.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Ok, weird question but maybe you might know.

WHY does Cricket grab her vegetables (for instance atm its Zucchini spears) in her foot and spend 5 minutes kissing at it and waving around like a classical conductor? It seriously looks like she is conducting a symphony on her perch...

Is it playing? Or is there a hidden meaning I have not figured out yet....

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Disco Salmon posted:

WHY does Cricket grab her vegetables (for instance atm its Zucchini spears) in her foot and spend 5 minutes kissing at it and waving around like a classical conductor? It seriously looks like she is conducting a symphony on her perch...

It's playing

Honey has a thing she does where she likes to dance around her toys and chirp at them enthusiastically while re-arranging the hanging parts. It really, really looks like a kid playing pretend, so I can only assume that's what she's doing

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

Mirthless posted:

It's playing

Honey has a thing she does where she likes to dance around her toys and chirp at them enthusiastically while re-arranging the hanging parts. It really, really looks like a kid playing pretend, so I can only assume that's what she's doing

Thank you...I feel better.

We have just watched her do it again and we cracked up wondering if this was an Ancient Conure Secret that must be done before eating said vegetable, or if it was just Ode to Zucchini in C#.She just kisses it so sweetly and murmurs sweet nothings to it before she throws it to the the ground violently then climbs down after it and tears it to shreds....

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tendai posted:

Literally cannot be real :3:

A good one to follow cassowary post as lovebirds are just as vicious and murderous as cassowaries. Their kill rate is lower only because lovebirds are tiny and only able to mutilate fingats. A lovebird the size of a man would be an apex predator.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Re: fuzzy huts and lovebirds: Crouton and Galbedir got theirs back after Crouton stopped sitting on her eggs and being less actively bitey. Within a week she was hissing out of it and they'd chewed a hole in it so the fuzzy hut has been confiscated again :mad:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Their kill rate is lower

I felt this needed less context

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Tiny????

wu tang cassowary aint nothing to gently caress with

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
http://blog.whyanimalsdothething.com/post/162868115113/what-the-hecky-heck-tinytiel-blizzard-loves

This Boy has Good Moves

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I just had one of my two budgies die.

Do I need to get another one so that my remaining budgie isn't alone? Or maybe give him to someone who already has budgies?

He gets out of the cage and rides my shoulder for about an hour every day, and his cage is centrally located in my home (so he does interact with my kids/wife/visitors/etc) is that enough for him to be happy?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Blizzard is a great name for a 'too

spacetoaster: sorry to hear about your loss, but the advice really depends on the bird. Lots of budgies are perfectly happy with just humans to interact with, others prefer the company of other birds. There's also no guarantee that a new bird will get along with your current one in the same way, so you need to be prepared to house them separately and introduce them slowly.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

a sneaky plot

https://twitter.com/vanilla_crow/status/884631319979753472

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
After some research I've learned that Samba's contact call is likely an alarm call, so he's pissed off, scared, or trying to warn me of impending doom when he does it. I just can't figure out what it all means. He's done it once when a bird flew past the window but the other times? Not sure. Do you think he'd start doing that call because his foraging toy was empty?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Testikles posted:

After some research I've learned that Samba's contact call is likely an alarm call, so he's pissed off, scared, or trying to warn me of impending doom when he does it. I just can't figure out what it all means. He's done it once when a bird flew past the window but the other times? Not sure. Do you think he'd start doing that call because his foraging toy was empty?

Could be, but don't fill it up or you'll reinforce the behavior that empty toy means scream until it's filled.

Wait until he's quiet to do so, reward quiet, not loud.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I love his little angry eyebrows at the audacity of the theft :mad:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/blakinola/status/884595947111690240

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

What type of parrot is that? I think I remember it mentioned quite some time ago here, but I don't remember.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Greater Vasa Parrot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_vasa_parrot

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Looks like an eagle in that picture

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yup, that's def something all African greys do.

"No no no, you are doing it all wrong. You don't just put it in your beak, you have to break it down to bits immediately. Look, just give me it and I'll handle it for you"

Now for your moment of zen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FYVZprK7U

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

[Dust intensifies]

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

spacetoaster posted:

I just had one of my two budgies die.

Do I need to get another one so that my remaining budgie isn't alone? Or maybe give him to someone who already has budgies?

He gets out of the cage and rides my shoulder for about an hour every day, and his cage is centrally located in my home (so he does interact with my kids/wife/visitors/etc) is that enough for him to be happy?

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( As Tsaedje said there are several factors in trying to produce an answer for your question, but looking at your boodge's behavior in the coming days might be helpful for you. If he seems particularly quiet, lonely, or stressed out consider getting him a cagemate; if he's doing well and continuing to enjoy his time with you he may not want or need one.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

One of my birds learned how to escape their cage...but ends up just sitting on top of it and wanting back in when the other one doesn't follow him out. Hopefully he doesn't break through my quick fix while I'm at work before I find something more permanent.

Also here's some pictures because there can never be enough bird pics

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Could be, but don't fill it up or you'll reinforce the behavior that empty toy means scream until it's filled.

Wait until he's quiet to do so, reward quiet, not loud.

So far I've been filling it up at more at specific times or if I feel like he wants it (but hasn't screamed for it)

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

One of my birds learned how to escape their cage...but ends up just sitting on top of it and wanting back in when the other one doesn't follow him out. Hopefully he doesn't break through my quick fix while I'm at work before I find something more permanent.

Also here's some pictures because there can never be enough bird pics

Such great pals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Testikles posted:

Such great pals!

They are...most of the time.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jc1xgh0