Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I imagine all of the teleporting would be less jarring if the intro of every episode didn't consist of lavish panning shots of a map

it was within their power to decide westeros is small and all of these places are close together
they chose to keep the book geography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember how it took a month on the kingsroad to get from Winterfell to King's Landing back in season 1?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember it took exactly one episode, from the beginning of ep 2 to the beginning of ep 3.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Travel time, and to an extent the passage of time in general, is one of the examples where it is okay to tell and not show. But you still need to do one of the two; you still need to somehow convey to the audience that not only has time passed, but also give them a sense of how much.

As is, sadly, par for the course with this show over the last few seasons, the issue isn't that they didn't get things perfect or go down into minute detail, it's that they didn't even make a token effort. The last few seasons are just, increasingly, D&D going down a checklist of plot beats.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder what happens when an Iron Bank client defaults on a loan? It seems like everyone in the show is just borrowing freely from them with a few choice words. The bank's gotta have their own doomsday weapon or something, tucked away to punish late payments, or else the show is just making Mycroft look like an idiot for constantly backing the wrong horse.

It should probably be that they'll have the Faceless Men murder literally everyone who owes them money but the show has established that the Faceless Men consists of 3 guys who aren't very good at their jobs so eh

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The last few seasons are just, increasingly, D&D going down a checklist of plot beats.

It feels like they're rushing the story along, hitting all the major plot points and skipping everything else... Yet at the same time it also feels like they're adding dumb filler and trying their hardest to pad things out.

It's actually kind of impressive.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elman posted:

It feels like they're rushing the story along, hitting all the major plot points and skipping everything else... Yet at the same time it also feels like they're adding dumb filler and trying their hardest to pad things out.

It's actually kind of impressive.

Exactly.

We stampeded through seasons 1-4, and now all that's left is perpetually dragging this poo poo out just like GRRM has.

Stuff like the Red Wedding, Jon and Ygritte, Joffrey, etc. all happened over half the series ago. Now we're padding out Dorne and Samwise and the boring vikings to keep the story afloat.

It's basically like making a Batman vs Superman movie where the titular fight happens halfway in, it climaxes in a limp dick pushing rope, and then there's still an hour of runtime to fill with special effects that leave the audience numb because the budget went to a green screen battle instead of compelling human drama.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The previous simile misses the part in BvS where Batman spent 80% of his screentime casually dropping hints about why he became a bat while prostitutes cornholed each other.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think another thing that severely cripples the implied passage of time is the whole seasons gimmick of Westeros. When it's the same foliage for 5.9 seasons/ 4.5 books it gets really ambiguous about how long the story has been going on for.

My fiance is watching the show for the first time and the only real indication of time in season 1 was Dany's pregnancy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arcsquad12 posted:

..like, dude, it's hard to explain, but like, I met max von sydow in a tree, and he was the raven, but then I raped hodor's brain in the past, so I became the raven... and then uncle benjen was a zombie, and then I saw you have sex with Ramsay... you're really hot when you're getting raped sis... dude, Theon lost his dick...

Lol

Ancelm
Apr 10, 2016

You'll never take me alive, copper!
I tried to read the books, but the writing is just so dry. The show seems to eliminate that problem. Also, Bran is a terrible character and needs to die already.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It really feels like the show has utterly and totally jumped the shark at this point, and I'm barely even sure why I'm bothering to watch it anymore.

I mean... When they manage to make a scene as long-awaited and (supposedly?) significant as Dany and Jon finally meeting a dry and boring affair that seemed to go back and forth with very little point, well.. It just feels SAD. I wanted it to matter and seem important and it felt like it wasn't important and didn't really matter and the actors looked bored as gently caress and like they were mailing it in and the dialogue was really atrociously written and it was just... depressing.

What made the whole thing TRULY obnoxious is that even though they have made huge barriers like Travel and Communication not matter at all with people and armies transporting across the map and ravens being sent seemingly instantaneously, Bran arrives at Winterfell saying he "needs to talk to Jon" literally the episode after Jon teleports to Dragonstone. And you know that Bran's not going to send an Insta-Raven to Dragonstone to inform Jon of his parentage, or even use his magical powers to do it. It's gonna get dragged out until Jon and Dany get inevitably separated by politics/death/deus ex machina/whatever..

I don't know why it even bothers me at this point, but it does.

I am wondering though if this season just feels lovely because every GOT episode has had to follow up a new Twin Peaks episode and it just feel pale and pointless by comparison?

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 3, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I sort of got what they were going for in that scene. Dany viewed each objection as a challenge to overcome before Jon would eventually give her fealty, until she realized he was serious about not joining. It would have been an interesting bit of political theater if they had ANY other audience but it was just them so it seemed like a lot of needless posturing.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder what happens when an Iron Bank client defaults on a loan? It seems like everyone in the show is just borrowing freely from them with a few choice words. The bank's gotta have their own doomsday weapon or something, tucked away to punish late payments, or else the show is just making Mycroft look like an idiot for constantly backing the wrong horse.

If you default on a loan with the Iron Bank then they bankroll your enemies so they can take you out, I believe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mad Hamish posted:

If you default on a loan with the Iron Bank then they bankroll your enemies so they can take you out, I believe.

It's some nightmarish mixture of a reverse Ponzi scheme and the current US Foreign Policy. Just keep arming more and more people so they can take out the people you previously armed who betrayed you.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Yeah, I think that the main assault had to happen in order for the sneak attack to work. You'd like to think that most of the Unsullied were in the castle rather than on the boats. I'd love to see Dothraki and dragons take out the rest of the Lannisters and Tarley.

That's next episode.

e:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 3, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just sit back and turn off your brain and enjoy the spectacle like the other 99% of the audience because it's the only ending you're going to get to this story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I legit can't tell if this is real or if it's someone summarising leaks we've known with snarky smug bullshit posed as real

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So how long do you think it'll take HBO and the the showrunners to realize that their Euron "more evil and hateable than Ramsay" Greyjoy is basically seen as the most alpha male ever by a lot of MRAs and similar shitlords?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He removed Dorne from the story so he's an immediate fan favorite.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
He killed some people who murdered an innocent little girl because they were angry at her parents. Is he not supposed to be the fan favorite?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Euron:
* Removed a despot who initiated a failed military campaign that left the iron islands impoverished and without allies
* Took the throne in a democratic procedure, through the undisputed express will of the people
* Rebuilt the iron islands fleet thus restoring the isles political power and probably reinvigorating their economy
* Captured the daughter of the former despot who stole a national military assets and treasonously handed them to the enemies of kingdom
* Defended westeros against a foreign invader, the daughter of yet another tyrant whose cruelty and tyranny spawned a massive civil war and threw the entire continent into political turmoil for nearly two decades
* Brought to justice the outlaws who've murdered the ruler of dorne and his heir and an innocent little girl.

Euron is a goddamn hero of the people. It's no wonder the King's Landing commoners gush all over him.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 3, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh and there are also signs that he's a generous lover as he's already concerning himself with how to please Cersei. He's also a goddamn gender equality warrior and he pursues his romantic interest by engaging Cersei directly and trying to find ways to endear himself to her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Euron:
* Removed a despot who initiated a failed military campaign that left the iron islands impoverished and without allies
* Took the throne in a democratic procedure, through the undisputed express will of the people
* Rebuilt the iron islands fleet thus restoring the isles political power and probably reinvigorating their economy
* Captured the daughter of the former despot who stole a national military assets and treasonously handed them to the enemies of kingdom
* Defended westeros against a former invader, the daughter of yet another tyrant whose cruelty and tyranny spawned a massive civil war and threw the entire continent into political turmoil for nearly two decades
* Brought to justice the outlaws who've murdered the ruler of dorne and his heir and an innocent little girl.

Euron is a goddamn hero of the people. It's no wonder the King's Landing commoners gush all over him.

* Mended political ties with a former enemy in the face of a common enemy and repaired international relations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Euron is the best thing to come out of this season so far and the season is almost halfway over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually achieving things means you're one of the better characters on the show, really.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for those terrible Dornish ladies Euron captured? Like poo poo, they murdered Myrcella in cold blood, this is a barbaric society and I felt these were reasonable consequences considering the people we're dealing with here. I mean, Dorne is, was, and will always be bullshit, Ellaria was loathsome and I'm almost glad she got a comeuppance.

I was expecting another horrible rape by Ser Robert Strong and was pleasantly surprised.

Cersei has always been one of my favourite characters and it's nice to still enjoy her scenes even if she never properly had her Continuous Mistake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Euron is the prince that was promised

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mad Hamish posted:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for those terrible Dornish ladies Euron captured? Like poo poo, they murdered Myrcella in cold blood, this is a barbaric society and I felt these were reasonable consequences considering the people we're dealing with here. I mean, Dorne is, was, and will always be bullshit, Ellaria was loathsome and I'm almost glad she got a comeuppance.

I was expecting another horrible rape by Ser Robert Strong and was pleasantly surprised.

Cersei has always been one of my favourite characters and it's nice to still enjoy her scenes even if she never properly had her Continuous Mistake.

Agree, Ellaria was bloodthirsty as gently caress to a degree that was obviously self harmful to anyone everyone but her three daughters who were equally dumb. She reaped what she sowed.

Euron avoids this by never sowing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm a bit sad no one ever told Ellaria and her brats how disgusted and disappointed Oberyn would be with their stupid bullshit before she went away forever.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Yeah, with all of the mustache-twirling of Book Euron removed, I don't see what makes Show Euron any more evil than an average poo poo-kicker in this setting, like, say, the Greatjon or Bronn

well, he is a kinslayer I suppose, but nobody misses Balon
and that always seems like the most unenforceable of taboos, given that everybody in this incestuous hellhole is related anyway

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kinslaying is such a non issue on the show, anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Book Euron is arguably on the same level as Ramsey if you take The Forsaken into account but the worst thing he's done on the show is chew the scenery.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

rip victarion and his volcano arm though

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I wish they gave the monster arm to Jorah instead

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TOOT BOOT posted:

Book Euron is arguably on the same level as Ramsey if you take The Forsaken into account but the worst thing he's done on the show is chew the scenery.

Book Euron is a weird, crazy, mystical pirate badass.
Show Euron is a kinda shlubby Goonish looking guy who's basically done nothing exceptionally villainous for the show or setting, and in fact has only killed thus far the worst characters.

It's one of the biggest examples of how bad the show is. Book Euron is this weird and larger-than-life character who's full of flash and honestly would make awesome television. Mothefucker has an eyepatch! Instead the show has bafflingly, for once, gone subdued and cuts out everything and anything that makes Euron anything more than Generic Ironborn #2818

EDIT: Like, seriously, Book Euron is the sort of character D&D desperately and hamhandedly tried to make Ramsay into. He's the one thing they should have been able to handle perfectly, and they hosed it up completely.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Book Euron is a weird, crazy, mystical pirate badass.
Show Euron is a kinda shlubby Goonish looking guy who's basically done nothing exceptionally villainous for the show or setting, and in fact has only killed thus far the worst characters.

It's one of the biggest examples of how bad the show is. Book Euron is this weird and larger-than-life character who's full of flash and honestly would make awesome television. Mothefucker has an eyepatch! Instead the show has bafflingly, for once, gone subdued and cuts out everything and anything that makes Euron anything more than Generic Ironborn #2818

EDIT: Like, seriously, Book Euron is the sort of character D&D desperately and hamhandedly tried to make Ramsay into. He's the one thing they should have been able to handle perfectly, and they hosed it up completely.

Show Euron is Jack Sparrow as portrayed by The Funny Neighbor From Your Favorite Sitcom.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe the actor thought we would hate Euron more than Ramsay because we're only getting two shortened seasons of him and we'll be pissed off he wasn't in the show from the beginning.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The preview chapter for aeron makes euron look like a sick gently caress but show euron is just like, a guy from the islands who realized he didn't have to stay on the islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

Bankers going against high-minded principles to make some money? This show has jumped the loving shark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCdnkaEigjM