Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Liked Black Legion more than the first book. Also got the audiobook and if you're enjoying the Helsreach videos, Keeble really seems to have a blast reading this one and does some of his best work. He voices Khayon closer to Ciaphas Cain than Ahriman and it's really fun to listen to. His Abaddon is great too, especially at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are the Warhammer Fantasy End Times and Age of Sigmar novels worth investing time into reading, or should I just pass on them?

Also, is there any word on the sequel to Pariah being written at any point in the near future? Or has that series essentially ended at this point?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Randalor posted:

Are the Warhammer Fantasy End Times and Age of Sigmar novels worth investing time into reading, or should I just pass on them?

Besides the ones listed in the OP? Chris Wraight is by far the best WHFB writer, I think. Josh Reynold's stuff feels frankly cartoony and not very mood appropriate. Anthony Reynolds' Bretonnia books are decent, if you like Bretonnia. If you're into Skaven at all, Headtaker by David Guymer is apparently pretty well-reviewed by Goodreads and at least one other BL author.

I'm reading the first End Times omnibus and made it through two short stories by Phil Kelly and Graham McNeil, neither of which was very good. I'm onto the first book by Josh Reynolds and it's pretty blah. The only appeal is you're dealing with major characters and an actual event moving to a meaningful end. I'm hoping "The Fall of Altdorf" by Wraight is better.

Can't say much about the Age of Sigmar books except that the only one I am interested in is The Gates of Azyr by Wraight. Pestilens by Josh Reynolds tempted me because I like Clan Pestilens, but the excerpt on the BL web site was... not good.

I would also suggest picking up this used on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tales-World-Warhammer-Marc-Gascoigne/dp/1844164527
An anthology of WHFB short stories, ranging from decent to great with a few stinkers.

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 25, 2017

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

It was good but gently caress man the whole ending I still find super underwhelming like come the gently caress on I know we spoke about it before but the hand crafted gene step brothers of the emperor forgot or never found out about a tunnel that leads right up his rear end in a top hat after spending 10000 years defending the same place..... smh

There was no direct tunnel. The Xenos used warp sorcery to bore a 200m long tunnel through the palace wall itself. They were on the very bottom levels upon which the palace was built. It wasn't guarded because nobody thought a Xenos could get to the Inner Palace wall and magic up a 200m tunnel through the best adamantium the imperium could make and then somehow make it all the way to the emperor's vicinity.

Not only that but the Xenos was purposefully brought to Earth to come see the throne and hopefully tell them how to fix it. Allegedly, even 1 to 3 of the high lords of terra were involved. They speculate on it in the last third of the book, and then at the very end it tells him there were (3) conspirators just before the Custodes kills it.

The person running the actual operations of the plan was an inquisitor herself, and even went so far and had the power to fabricate a highly respected and awarded Inquisitor who lived and worked in the highest ranks of the palace. Everybody had heard of this Inquisitor and his deeds and nobody had any idea he didn't exist. It really gives you an idea of the sheer scale of the palace and its occupants, that a famous person can be fabricated whole cloth and everybody just assumes they hadn't met in the vastness if the palace-continent yet.

So let's not forget that despite the presence of a peasant army, two inquisitors and their teams (one with 200 stormtroopers), a dark eldar, and 60 horrifically grotesque mutant versions of The Hulk the Custodes loving slaughtered the gently caress out of everything once they joined the defense and took no casualties themselves and there were only a few of them, like 6-8 at the most.

What isn't clear is how the Xenos would have been brought to the throne if it had not escaped. I don't think what happened was even close to their plan, but clearly it would have had to be done in secrecy since none of the conspirators were Custodes.

That being said, part of me wonders if the main Custodes character was actually the 3rd conspirator (the other two are rumoured to be the head of chartists and the Mars dude who ruled the giant Mars fortress the Xenos was brought in through.) And he had a change of heart (or didn't but still had to get rid of the Xenos once it escaped.) After all, the conspirators thought they were saving the emperor's and all of mankind's lives by doing whatever it took to fix his throne. A few of the main Custodes remarks and actions strongly hint there is something we don't know about his involvement. This doesn't fit other things though so it probably isn't true.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just finished reading Ghosts and Bad Shadows. What do you think Abnett was talking about in the preface about making a mistake with Kolea's children? I know he aged up Dalin slightly so he could join the ranks, but that's about all I remember.

Is this a new short story? Google is not helping.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

There was no direct tunnel. The Xenos used warp sorcery to bore a 200m long tunnel through the palace wall itself. They were on the very bottom levels upon which the palace was built. It wasn't guarded because nobody thought a Xenos could get to the Inner Palace wall and magic up a 200m tunnel through the best adamantium the imperium could make and then somehow make it all the way to the emperor's vicinity.

Not only that but the Xenos was purposefully brought to Earth to come see the throne and hopefully tell them how to fix it. Allegedly, even 1 to 3 of the high lords of terra were involved. They speculate on it in the last third of the book, and then at the very end it tells him there were (3) conspirators just before the Custodes kills it.

The person running the actual operations of the plan was an inquisitor herself, and even went so far and had the power to fabricate a highly respected and awarded Inquisitor who lived and worked in the highest ranks of the palace. Everybody had heard of this Inquisitor and his deeds and nobody had any idea he didn't exist. It really gives you an idea of the sheer scale of the palace and its occupants, that a famous person can be fabricated whole cloth and everybody just assumes they hadn't met in the vastness if the palace-continent yet.

So let's not forget that despite the presence of a peasant army, two inquisitors and their teams (one with 200 stormtroopers), a dark eldar, and 60 horrifically grotesque mutant versions of The Hulk the Custodes loving slaughtered the gently caress out of everything once they joined the defense and took no casualties themselves and there were only a few of them, like 6-8 at the most.

What isn't clear is how the Xenos would have been brought to the throne if it had not escaped. I don't think what happened was even close to their plan, but clearly it would have had to be done in secrecy since none of the conspirators were Custodes.

That being said, part of me wonders if the main Custodes character was actually the 3rd conspirator (the other two are rumoured to be the head of chartists and the Mars dude who ruled the giant Mars fortress the Xenos was brought in through.) And he had a change of heart (or didn't but still had to get rid of the Xenos once it escaped.) After all, the conspirators thought they were saving the emperor's and all of mankind's lives by doing whatever it took to fix his throne. A few of the main Custodes remarks and actions strongly hint there is something we don't know about his involvement. This doesn't fit other things though so it probably isn't true.

Thank you for the cool and good post

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is this a new short story? Google is not helping.

Ghosts and Bad shadows was in the Sabbat Worlds anthology that came out last year, maybe 2015

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Thank you for the cool and good post

I just finished Carrion Throne a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I only started getting into 40k a few months ago and I am loving it so far. It is just such a cool universe. So far I have read Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, first two Gaunt's Ghosts, Titanicus, Brothers of the Iron Snake, and now Carrion Throne. Just started Horus Rising. I love the lore so getting to see Terra, and especially the palace, up close is awesome.

Any other good books set on Terra? Any other good Inquisitor stories? Also, what is the best book that deals with Orks and/or a WAAAAGH! I would like to read something about them because I havent yet.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I just finished Carrion Throne a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I only started getting into 40k a few months ago and I am loving it so far. It is just such a cool universe. So far I have read Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, first two Gaunt's Ghosts, Titanicus, Brothers of the Iron Snake, and now Carrion Throne. Just started Horus Rising. I love the lore so getting to see Terra, and especially the palace, up close is awesome.

Any other good books set on Terra? Any other good Inquisitor stories? Also, what is the best book that deals with Orks and/or a WAAAAGH! I would like to read something about them because I havent yet.

See if you can find a reprint of Draco, or the original Inquisitor novel. That's some good, old 40k on Terra.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

Also, what is the best book that deals with Orks and/or a WAAAAGH! I would like to read something about them because I havent yet.
Helsreach, but Orks are just the antagonists. Get Deff Skwadron if you're into comics.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Immanentized posted:

See if you can find a reprint of Draco, or the original Inquisitor novel. That's some good, old 40k on Terra.

What is the title/author of the original inquisitor novel? I may or may not have obtained most of the BL through unsanctioned means so finding stuff shouldn't be too hard...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ian Watson, the trilogy was re-released as the Inquisition War omnibus. Weird, but is definitely closer to Warhammer 40k's "parody of grim darkness" roots than the current serious tone they've taken.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Helsreach, but Orks are just the antagonists. Get Deff Skwadron if you're into comics.

Deff Skwadron is great.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'll always recommend the Ciaphas Cain books. They were my first foray into the Black Library. Got a pretty unique and fun take on the setting. Sure, they get samey if you read several back to back, but they're an excellent light-hearted palette cleanser.

As for inquisitor stories, Atlas Infernal is a good one.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Started up on Ciaphas Cain while I wait for the one book in my Gaunt collection to arrive, and it really is impossible to read this without mentally assigning Rowan Atkinson's voice to the narration no matter how hard you try.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty decent casting for Cain since he's Blackadder by way of Flashman. I'm rereading Straight Silver and my image of Gaunt keeps jumping between the obvious Sean Bean parallels and Kevin McKidd for some reason.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty decent casting for Cain since he's Blackadder by way of Flashman. I'm rereading Straight Silver and my image of Gaunt keeps jumping between the obvious Sean Bean parallels and Kevin McKidd for some reason.

He's almost like a generic every-man who takes every chance to get drunk on amsec and avoid danger, tries to not get killed, but ends up in such insane situations not realizing how badass he looks to outsiders despite trying not to. One of his famous achievements is killing a chaos space marine with his chain sword and it was basically him getting stuck between 2 warring Chaos factions and having the chance to give a coup de grace to the only surviving traitor marine and a few seconds later all the nearby guardsman burst in to see him just chilling over their bodies as he asks them what took so long.

Needless to say, part of his permanent reputation after that point was "Effortlessly Killed a bunch of space marines with only his sword" but despite his claims otherwise according to Vail Cain was probably one of the best swordsman in that corner of the galaxy.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of the good inquisitor Vail, her footnotes peppered throughout the books just might be my absolute favourite thing in the series.
Like when in one of the novels Cain describes a plasma bolt missing his face with only a few centimeters, then in the footnote Amberley points out that if that had been the case, the heat surrounding the bolt would've given him third degree burns. :allears:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I do wish that more 40K books were like that.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

And also, paraphrasing;
"Cain once told me that the Guard loves their TLAs. That apparently stands for Three Letter Abbreviations. He might just have been messing with me though."

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

pentyne posted:

He's almost like a generic every-man who takes every chance to get drunk on amsec and avoid danger, tries to not get killed, but ends up in such insane situations not realizing how badass he looks to outsiders despite trying not to. One of his famous achievements is killing a chaos space marine with his chain sword and it was basically him getting stuck between 2 warring Chaos factions and having the chance to give a coup de grace to the only surviving traitor marine and a few seconds later all the nearby guardsman burst in to see him just chilling over their bodies as he asks them what took so long.

Well, now I know what to pick up next.

Only read Eisenhorn so far. This and Ravenor seem like obvious choices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
HELSREACH PART 8 RELEASED

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Helsreach, but Orks are just the antagonists. Get Deff Skwadron if you're into comics being cool and liking awesome things.

D-Pad posted:

Also, what is the best book that deals with Orks and/or a WAAAAGH! I would like to read something about them because I havent yet.
There isn't a lot, since BL has stated that they don't want to do anything from an alien perspective, so that's why we get a lot of IG and SM books (with a smattering of Eldar.) Baneblade and Shadowsword, if I remember correctly, are an IG perspective of an Ork invasion.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 28, 2017

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

IN AMAZING TECHNICOLOR!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am like 50% sure youre a bot who posts about helreach the instant a new episode is uploaded. Youre a very convincing bot.

e: mfw the grimaldus standard gets planted :woop:

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 28, 2017

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ran out of podcasts to listen to at work for the week so I decided to check out some of the audio books and dramas that've been put out, and aside from some weird pronunciation(scion as "sky-on") they're a pretty good time-killer so far. Plus, I finally get to catch up with Cruze, Garro, and Loken and see what the proto-inquisition is up to!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

funmanguy posted:

I am like 50% sure youre a bot who posts about helreach the instant a new episode is uploaded. Youre a very convincing bot.

e: mfw the grimaldus standard gets planted :woop:

If I am a bot, I just happen to have very good timing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mythicknight posted:

Well, now I know what to pick up next.

Only read Eisenhorn so far. This and Ravenor seem like obvious choices.

Pace yourself with the Cain omnibuses. There are a few interesting or unique parts from time to time but if you read the entire series back to back by the 6-7th book you start realizing you know exactly what is going to happen the second a new plot detail is introduced. There's not a ton of variety in plot or pacing but they are still a fun read for the characters.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arcsquad12 posted:

:black101:
Someone needs to make a master cut once the video series is done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something tells me he will do just that once he's done.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

pentyne posted:

Pace yourself with the Cain omnibuses. There are a few interesting or unique parts from time to time but if you read the entire series back to back by the 6-7th book you start realizing you know exactly what is going to happen the second a new plot detail is introduced. There's not a ton of variety in plot or pacing but they are still a fun read for the characters.
Yeah, this.
As much as I love Cain, and the fairly unique framing device in those books, they do get samey if you read too many back to back.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Alternative pants posted:

:black101:
Someone needs to make a master cut once the video series is done.

I'm sure he'll do that in 2057, since he anticipates this will run at least 40 episodes, if not more. From the interview, it sounds like this puts a great deal of strain on his personal life, so, as sad as it would be, I don't see this being finished unless GW steps in and pays the guy so he can justify his time.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm sure he'll do that in 2057, since he anticipates this will run at least 40 episodes, if not more. From the interview, it sounds like this puts a great deal of strain on his personal life, so, as sad as it would be, I don't see this being finished unless GW steps in and pays the guy so he can justify his time.

And GW will never do that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Alternative pants posted:

And GW will never do that.

No, but they would make a mint if they did.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
to make a mint they'd need to monetize it, and they cant do that without paying roalties to the people who made the models, valve for source film maker etc etc helsreach is doomed to never be finished.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to read The First Heretic. I'd never been all that into the traitor legions, but this is ADB so I figured it was worth a shot.

Holy poo poo, what a book. Lorgar was an incredibly compelling character for me and made it hard to not look at how the crusade was operated through the lens of my 21st century morals. Like, we know where the story for the traitors legions leads to and all of its horror but I surely can't blame Lorgar for what he did. Argel Tel's slow devolution was also really well written, if a little heartbreaking.

I honestly think ADB is the best author Black Library has by a long shot at this point, better even than Abnett.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ADB does heightened dialogue and description very well. While Abnett is fantastic at writing gritty, lower class povs with little respect for the niceties of high gothic, his space marines and even his inquisition types don't quite jive with the elevated jargon of 40k. Abnett writes about jobbers in the hell future, and it can sound weird coming from a marines mouth. ADB on the other hand dives into the weird poetic style of 40k and has a lot of characters with odd cadences or strange phrasings.

Both writers sell 40k very well but in very different ways. Abnett's blunt but clear writing style makes his books much easier to follow, while ADB can really emphasize the foreign nature of 40k by giving it a language all itself. Of the two I still prefer Abnett because the man's sense of geometry is unmatched when it comes to describing environments and the flow of combat. ADB is nowhere near as good at fight scenes, but his character dialogue and varying perspectives are amazing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hamshot posted:

to make a mint they'd need to monetize it, and they cant do that without paying roalties to the people who made the models, valve for source film maker etc etc helsreach is doomed to never be finished.

He does it all himself, including the modeling and mo-cap. Not sure about the software though, but he's in the game industry.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y&t=117s

I should try making a 'best of' reel of Rogal Dorn from these

Should I read Talon of Horus before Black Legion?

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any stories that show mechanicum characters going through the various alterations they make to themselves? Ive been wondering how a regular imperium dude ends up joining and becoming increasingly augmented to the point of the average magos.