Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the poo poo in the norf!
the poo poo in the norf!
the poo poo in the norf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

IRQ posted:

Dragons seem pretty fuckin' easy to take down though.

Well, even in the last book a rando with a spear manages to pierce Drogon's hide and make him bleed, after lots of chapters of Tyrion and others basically saying that scorpion bolts and other heavy poo poo won't do anything if it doesn't find an eye.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, but it's Qyburn's special scorpion. Dany wasn't prepared for a special scorpion made by another named character.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Hello Wild Cards! Anything happened in the last 3000 posts? Some wintery winds maybe?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Sephyr posted:

Well, even in the last book a rando with a spear manages to pierce Drogon's hide and make him bleed, after lots of chapters of Tyrion and others basically saying that scorpion bolts and other heavy poo poo won't do anything if it doesn't find an eye.

Book Drogon in the pit scene is nowhere near the size of show Drogon or Aegon's dragons.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kellanved posted:

Hello Wild Cards! Anything happened in the last 3000 posts? Some wintery winds maybe?

You caught me I left the window open last night

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, but it's Qyburn's special scorpion. Dany wasn't prepared for a special scorpion made by another named character.

Yeah but a half hour after getting shot in the wing, Drogon was perfectly fine again and flew Dany back home, and didn't even seem bothered. I think he gets a healing bonus for toasting nobles.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kellanved posted:

Some dank fart winds, but always warm like a myrrish swamp.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
They're really hard to hit at all because they're airborne, moving very quickly and absolutely terrifying. In the book I recall Tyrion seeing the Yunkish wheel out scorpions and him thinking "lol that's not going to help".

Then, if you manage to hit them at all, their hide is very difficult to penetrate, at least when they're fully grown. Daenerys' dragons are basically babbies (even the show had arrows bouncing off Drogon). This is all strictly book logic, though. In the show, apparently Qyburn has managed to engineer a scorpion strong enough to penetrate dragonhide, which certainly seems like it should be possible, as they're not indestructible. The show also features archers (and Bronn) that are capable of accurately shooting a fast airborne target despite never having attempted anything of the sort in their lives. I actually do archery and the thought of trying to hit something flying very quickly that's also trying to incinerate me sounds drat near impossible, especially without practice.

The show's plotting has gotten fairly lax of late, though, so in show terms the dragons are indestructible until they're not, and unassailable until they're not.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 1, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I would think the way to take down a dragon is to go for the wings. Sure you're never going to pierce those scales but it looks like some arrows could easily tear through the wing membrane and ground them. Still an insanely difficult target though, but Bronn is a badass.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

esperterra posted:

If I were Dany I would use my dragons to light all my blunts.

This just makes me think of that Simpsons ep where Homer gets a gun and uses it do to things around the house

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Some filthy peasant killed a dragon with an axe.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Well the Dornish managed to kill one of the dragons that Aegon and his sisters had and I'm pretty sure that those were adult and grown ones. So killing dragons is hard but not impossible.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Infected posted:

Well the Dornish managed to kill one of the dragons that Aegon and his sisters had and I'm pretty sure that those were adult and grown ones. So killing dragons is hard but not impossible.

Scorpion shot through the eye. A surefire way to kill a dragon, but a 1 in a million shot to make.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc it was a ballista bolt to the eye, so yeah difficult but not impossible. There was another Targ dragon that died getting mobbed by peasants when it was grounded, too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't know if they hover in the books like Skyrim dragons, but they do in the show. So an eyeshot isnt really one in a million in that circumstance, I'd think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder how resistant to heat the Dragons actually are. The Season 8 spoilers had Drogon killing the remaining main characters and itself with Wildfire by mistake but considering it breathes fire, and unless that fire is buffed if someone casts turn undead on it, that fire is hot enough to destroy the wall, it's kind of hard to reconcile that the actual fire aspect of Wildfire could kill Drogon. There's the concussive shock of it I guess but maybe that would be dampened by dragon scales?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 2, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder how resistant to heat the Dragon's actually are. The Season 8 spoilers had Drogon killing the remaining main characters and itself with Wildfire by mistake but considering it breathes fire, and unless that fire is buffed if someone casts turn undead on it, that fire is hot enough to destroy the wall, it's kind of hard to reconcile that the actual fire aspect of Wildfire could kill Drogon. There's the concussive shock of it I guess but maybe that would be dampened by dragon scales?

It's stupid enough to be in the show though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
When someone is using a blowtorch, the tank isn't actually full of fire. And if you use a blowtorch on another blowtorch's tank, you'll cut through it (and if it's not totally empty, this is an unwise course of action). So dragons breathing fire doesn't necessarily translate to dragons being impervious to fire.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

that fire is hot enough to destroy the wall,

The wall is magical, so I think the undead dragon fire was more of a "magic" vs "magic" thing - than a fire vs wall thing. I dunno - the mechanics of fake things is hard to make sense of. Do dragons burn fire through a physical process? Or is it just "magic lol" in which case - it makes perfect sense that they can cast fire spells, but also be torched by fire. They aren't like.. elemental or something. but who the gently caress knows. to copy from someone earlier in the thread "they are immune to fire, until they aren't".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I forgot the magic aspect of the dragons actually, cos they're just animals really.

Kylaer posted:

When someone is using a blowtorch, the tank isn't actually full of fire. And if you use a blowtorch on another blowtorch's tank, you'll cut through it (and if it's not totally empty, this is an unwise course of action). So dragons breathing fire doesn't necessarily translate to dragons being impervious to fire.

A blowtorch is metal and not a living creature though, where Dragons are flesh and blood, so their insides at least have to be extremely fire resistant or they'd kill themselves. }

Eh, too much logical thought being put into bad fake spoilers about fictional creatures in a bad tv show.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 2, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm super dumb and just realised it's called a sept because they worship the seven.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Same.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

wow

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
When there were only 6 gods, they called it The Sex, and the Sextum was way more fun.

Seriously though, it doesn't just mean seven - it also is like a dividing space, or a branch of a family. It is clever that the name carries so many appropriate meanings.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I bet if they dropped a god attendance would improve tenfold.

e: ^^^^ :argh:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

But actual IRL churches have sextons, or am I missing the joke here?

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just japes about sexing the sept.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

But actual IRL churches have sextons, or am I missing the joke here?

The Stranger doesn't have priests, maybe?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Everyone can be a priest of the Stranger. You have but to sit on your hand for five minutes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And then kill an Arab.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I wonder how resistant to heat the Dragons actually are. The Season 8 spoilers had Drogon killing the remaining main characters and itself with Wildfire by mistake but considering it breathes fire, and unless that fire is buffed if someone casts turn undead on it, that fire is hot enough to destroy the wall, it's kind of hard to reconcile that the actual fire aspect of Wildfire could kill Drogon. There's the concussive shock of it I guess but maybe that would be dampened by dragon scales?

Dragons lived in volcanoes before they all erupted in the Doom, and the fact that they can breath hotter-than-a-forge flames and not burn their mouth/throat or cook themselves in the process, I'm going to go with Dungeons and Dragons Red/Gold Dragon-tier fire resistance->immunity. Like maybe smaller or baby dragons can get burned by larger adults but they are either immune or near-immune to heat equal to their own flames.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The real question then becomes which is hotter: wildfire or dragon flame.

Prob dragon flame, I assume it's how Valyrian steel is forged. Either with that or fuckin magma.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

I always assumed Valyrian steel somehow incorporated dragon scales. Dragon scales being immensely strong but surprisingly light is a thing in lots of fantasy, and those are two well known qualities of Valyrian steel. Maybe it's like 1.5% carbon and like 2.5% dragon scale powder or dragon blood or some such.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Quenched in dragon's blood, hilt wrapped in dragon flesh. Dracogladius ex Valyrium.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just japes about sexing the sept.

And now i'm thinking of one of the many worst things Cersei did in her miserable life

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cersei is my kween

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ah yeah I love the miserable drunk

Tragedy is foreplay for me

buuuut still that was a very cruel jape she played on septa whateverhernamewas

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Unella? I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

Unella? I think.

Trapped in a room being wedgied and noogied by The Mountain for all eternity.