Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sephyr posted:

Pfft. We've been friends a while and if we have watched tommy wiseau's The Room and von Trier's Antichrist without issue, I think it'll be fine.

I used to know a girl who'd insist on watching Salo with new dates. Let's just say her love life wasn't idyllic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GannerOne posted:

Anyone else that is troubled by Howland Reed not playing any part in the R+L=J-reveal? When reading the books I always figured out that since Howland Reed is the sole survivor after the Battle of the Tower of Joy, and has only been sitting in the Neck producing and drinking sap-moonshine ala Gatormen-shows on discovery channel, he'd be playing some part in the whole reveal. I was kind of betting that it would be a combination of Sam finding out poo poo in the Citadel, Bran's visions and Howland Reed popping out of his shack saying; "Yeah I was there... this is how it all went down..." - confirming Jon's ancestry. D&D kind of botched that opportunity

I don't know what's up the crannogmen in the show. They barely been mentioned, and the Reed siblings are about as written out in the show as one could be. I suppose Meera could pop out with her family and their people to join up in the last great battle, or she'll never be mentioned ever again.

Instead we got Bran dreaminng about Arthur Dayne playing Anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones, confirming that Bran likes the prequels.

lol if you think Gurm had something planned better than what happened on the show

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man we've been doing this since before it was popular but Vice has pretty graphics.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/qvvx83/game-of-thrones-by-the-numbers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cornflakes posted:

I bet he'd do a great Olenna.

Considering the idiotic decisions they've made across just 2-3 generations, I don't know how the hell the Starks have managed to hold the north for millennia

The big secret is that the rest of the north are just as idiotic as the Starks. The Boltons were by far the smartest because they said screw honour and started scheming instead. Probably the only reason Roose didn't stage a coup earlier is because the rest of the Northern lords would still follow the Starks. Once things fell into chaos, the Boltons made their move.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Boltons are people who have a flayed human being as their sigil, have a known psychopath for their heir, and live in a place called the Dreadfort.

Seem like a trustworthy lot to me!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't say they were trustworthy, just that they were smarter than the rest of the northern lords.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't say they were trustworthy, just that they were smarter than the rest of the northern lords.

And now they're extinct. :v:

Being ambitious and scheming doesn't always mean you're particularly smart, and being smart isn't always the thing that makes you most fit for survival. Perhaps in the North, being an honorable, loyal, hotheaded soldier-type is the only way to command the requisite respect for long term lordship.

Also, I frankly don't think they were that smart. Roose was clever enough to take advantage of the situation when things started going belly-up for Robb, but the Red Wedding was more Tywin's brainchild than his. Roose was also pretty dumb to not have Ramsay's throat cut the instant his trueborn son was born. You'd have to be an idiot not to guess how Ramsay would react. Ramsay was also an idiot, for that matter, though they made him more clever in the show. You could say his use of tactics in the battle of the bastards demonstrates his intelligence, but frankly those were pretty standard military tactics given the weapons involved (although he did do the completely idiotic, but oft-employed-by-movie-badguys "shoot arrows into our own men" tactic)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Domeric Bolton sure was a genius.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I used to know a girl who'd insist on watching Salo with new dates. Let's just say her love life wasn't idyllic.

Ok, yeah, that's kind of a high mark.

My worst experience was when a girl I was meeting in a blind date picked 'Precious' as a movie for us to watch. Cue 45-minute fit of body-wracking grief sobs on her part with me there patting her on the shoulder.

I mean, that usually happens only -after- I take off my clothes! :rimshot:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Stephen Dillane was great.

He played him as warrior accountant, and it was great.

The show's casting has generally been great as veteran character actors like Iain Glenn, for instance, finally get a character they can sink their teeth into.

Fhate posted:

And now they're extinct. :v:

Being ambitious and scheming doesn't always mean you're particularly smart, and being smart isn't always the thing that makes you most fit for survival. Perhaps in the North, being an honorable, loyal, hotheaded soldier-type is the only way to command the requisite respect for long term lordship.

Also, I frankly don't think they were that smart. Roose was clever enough to take advantage of the situation when things started going belly-up for Robb, but the Red Wedding was more Tywin's brainchild than his. Roose was also pretty dumb to not have Ramsay's throat cut the instant his trueborn son was born. You'd have to be an idiot not to guess how Ramsay would react. Ramsay was also an idiot, for that matter, though they made him more clever in the show. You could say his use of tactics in the battle of the bastards demonstrates his intelligence, but frankly those were pretty standard military tactics given the weapons involved (although he did do the completely idiotic, but oft-employed-by-movie-badguys "shoot arrows into our own men" tactic)

"Forming a huge, thin box with spearmen around the enemy while they hold perfectly still like their controllers ran out of batteries' isn't really standard. It was easily the dumbest part of that battle. Even more than 'ride the cavalry straight at the other cavalry' and 'drop your bows, lads'. It takes a pike phalanx, already a not very manuverable formation, and makes it less so. The annoying thing is, phalanxes are already scary. There's an account by a Roman general that an advancing Greek phalanx was the scariest thing he ever saw in battle.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The big secret is that the rest of the north are just as idiotic as the Starks. The Boltons were by far the smartest because they said screw honour and started scheming instead. Probably the only reason Roose didn't stage a coup earlier is because the rest of the Northern lords would still follow the Starks. Once things fell into chaos, the Boltons made their move.

There are very strong hints in the book that Roose doesn't really care about anything. He not shrugs off Ramsay killing his heir, he basically admits that he will also kill all of his other kids with his new wife. He also says Ramsay is not going to rule after himself, which is weird because if he has any plans in that regard, they have not been shared with us.

All points to him basically just wanting run poo poo into the ground for as long as he can for his amusement, which is not really a smart thing to do. It will make you go for every opportunist gambit but will also send you tumbling really fast. Since he's an older guy in a world where he doesn't expect to be alive after the next long winter, he doesn't give a toss. He gets to die fat, happy and maybe even with a King in the North crown if he fancies just to spite the Starks, and whoever comes next can reap the whirlwind.

So yeah, they are not really the smartest. Just the ones best able to benefit from the mess and with less fucks to give than the others.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Boltons are people who have a flayed human being as their sigil, have a known psychopath for their heir, and live in a place called the Dreadfort.

Seem like a trustworthy lot to me!

tbf there's also castles with names like Hellholt, Grimston, Corpse Lake and Gallowsgrey, & the people who live there are all chill

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also ned being a loving retard might not actually be a stark trait. his idiocy could be from his time in the vale. he was supposed to be the second son right. Brandon was not like him at all by all accounts

edit: and his sons are all similarly retarded die to being raised just by him, which is super dumb. non of the named noble children at book start foster anywhere

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
One of the major themes of the whole series is the degeneration of once really cool things. To the point that it became a meta narrative affecting the actual books.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

violent sex idiot posted:

also ned being a loving retard might not actually be a stark trait. his idiocy could be from his time in the vale. he was supposed to be the second son right. Brandon was not like him at all by all accounts

On some points maybe but when it comes to dying like a goon by his own fault, well...

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

in the society they live in aerys' actions were basically unthinkable, but yeah I guess

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I've decided I am rooting for margaery to survive the series and marry Jon at the end (after she marries Aegon and he is killed by....Dany? Jon Snow? JonCon's greyscale?)

not really for shipping reasons
I just think it would be fun to keep inflating marge's marriage stats
gotta pick up #5

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Roose's actor is also perfectly cast.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The only casting that was bad was Littlefinger, and that may not really be Aidan Gillen's fault but good lord whatever the gently caress they did with him was a mess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pilou Asbaek as Euron isn't bad, but he's not book Euron. He's great as a shithead metalhead pirate dudebro.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Show Euron could be great if he'd had more time to establish himself. It'll be weird if they make him into a big baddie in the final season when all the characterization he's got so far is "rear end in a top hat who loves fighting and loving".

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I always felt that the Lannister family had, hands down, the best actors in the series and the first few seasons that focused on Kings Landing had the best concentration of good actors -- especially when the hound was bombing around with the Lannister clan. Forget the red wedding, the death of Twyin was the saddest part of the series for me. Charles Dance was hands down my favorite actor on the show and I can't help but feel that once he made his exit things started to fall apart. The man just owned every scene he was in and elevated the actors around him (like when Arya was his serving girl at Harrenhal).

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 9, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah george knocked down a few too many of his dominos. Tywin got what was coming well clear from battle, like robb I guess, but the....villainy suffered without him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least we have such amazing characters like Areo Hotah, Quentyn Martell, Arianne Martell and Jon Connington to fill the Tywin shaped void.

Tywin being a POV character would have been pretty sick

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

There are very strong hints in the book that Roose doesn't really care about anything. He not shrugs off Ramsay killing his heir, he basically admits that he will also kill all of his other kids with his new wife. He also says Ramsay is not going to rule after himself, which is weird because if he has any plans in that regard, they have not been shared with us.
I really like the idea that he is a shapeshifter / wears the skins of boltons, and will ultimately skin Ramsay and become him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

I really like the idea that he is a shapeshifter / wears the skins of boltons, and will ultimately skin Ramsay and become him.

In the books doesn't he tell Ramsay that he was going to have Ramsay drowned and his mother killed when she presented him, but didn't because he could see some familiar resemblance? Also that he raped Ramsay's mother shortly after hanging her husband for some reason, and did so under the tree he was hanging from?

Roose on the show was like a more evil Tywin with a giant blind spot for Ramsay's desire to kill him, but Book Roose was definitely some world class crazy.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

World class crazy.
Ramsay was sorta of the Buffalo Bill to Roose's Hannibal Lector.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Evil Fluffy posted:

In the books doesn't he tell Ramsay that he was going to have Ramsay drowned and his mother killed when she presented him, but didn't because he could see some familiar resemblance? Also that he raped Ramsay's mother shortly after hanging her husband for some reason, and did so under the tree he was hanging from?

I think those are both in the show. The show just didn't have the "rue the day" line.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Roose on the show was like a more evil Tywin with a giant blind spot for Ramsay's desire to kill him, but Book Roose was definitely some world class crazy.

This was definitely in the show, going through season 5 (help) with the fiance and we hit that episode the other night.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

The only casting that was bad was Littlefinger, and that may not really be Aidan Gillen's fault but good lord whatever the gently caress they did with him was a mess

Based solely on GoT and The Wire, Aidan Gillen is either a bad actor or just crippled by roles with non-Irish accents.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

Based solely on GoT and The Wire, Aidan Gillen is either a bad actor or just crippled by roles with non-Irish accents.

he was great in the wire, right? I was stoked when I saw he was chosen for the weasely littlefinger.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's ok in The Wire but being ok in that kind of environment probably means youre good

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's ok in The Wire but being ok in that kind of environment probably means youre good

Maybe he was great at the "weasely guy who is maybe also trying a bit to be a good guy" as opposed to littlefinger's "I'm the arch smarmy villain of all time who orchestrates chaos BWAHAHAHHAAHHAHAahahhahaha also I hosed your mom, your aunt and am super into you... but you know... not in a "weird" way."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

he never hosed catelyn that was lysa raping him while he was feverish from his wounds after Brandon dunked on him

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You know who I wanted to be littlefinger? That greasy turd from Lost who was leading the Others. The one with the spine cancer. I guess that's dumb. Why did I want that?

Aidan's kind of overwritten my mental image of the character but I wish he wasn't so bad at it, I wish his lines weren't delivered so bluntly, I wish he ever, ever, ever got to disinterestedly carve up a blood orange and give his clean hands speech.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

violent sex idiot posted:

he never hosed catelyn that was lysa raping him while he was feverish from his wounds after Brandon dunked on him

yeah but he thought he did, so... you know.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

yeah I guess. man him giving Sansa away is so loving dumb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Krinkle posted:

You know who I wanted to be littlefinger? That greasy turd from Lost who was leading the Others. The one with the spine cancer. I guess that's dumb. Why did I want that?

Aidan's kind of overwritten my mental image of the character but I wish he wasn't so bad at it, I wish his lines weren't delivered so bluntly, I wish he ever, ever, ever got to disinterestedly carve up a blood orange and give his clean hands speech.

lol yeah ben from lost would have been good

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

kcroy posted:

he was great in the wire, right? I was stoked when I saw he was chosen for the weasely littlefinger.

No, I'm saying he's bad in both shows. His line readings are so labored, with the weird, deliberate cadence of someone trying his hardest to speak in an accent different from his own. Dominic West sucked, too, but at least he just barreled forward, allowing his brogue to slip through. Dinklage's accent is awful, but he's good enough otherwise that you can write it off as "fantasy English".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Littlefingers writing on the show is a hindrance and whatever he's trying to do with the voice is bad and he's inconsistent with it too. When both arent being lovely you can see he could've been fine on the show but there's not a ton of those moments.