Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

RG Full Burnen (Custom Metallic) https://imgur.com/gallery/8aaBS

Felt like taking some pics of this thing while painting my Hyakuri/Mack Knife abomination. Easily my longest project (in terms of hours put into it), i'm pretty happy with how it came out. The shield was destroyed in an embarassing accident I refuse to explain. In fact, there was never a shield, don't gaslight me.

Paints:
Alclad Candy Silver Base - all blue and red parts as the undercoat.
Tamiya Clear Red/blue - overcoat for the colored parts.
Gaianotes Star Bright Brass - Yellow parts
Mr. Metal Color Aluminum - white armor parts
Alclad Polished Brass - inner details
Model Masters Graphite Metallic - inner frame
Model Masters Anthracite Grey - Backpack

This didn't get near enough attention. This is a gorgeous build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

When did this...
...Become more attractive than this?

They're both Gundams, and therefore bad.

:colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're both Gundams, and therefore bad.

:colbert:

The Turn A and Barbatos are good, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, Nu, Hi-Nu, Barbatos, Exia, Heavyarms, Wing, Wing Zero, Deathscythe, Epyon, Unicorn, Ex-S, Xi, Penelope, Deep Striker...

:words:

:words:

...Woundwort, and Hazel are good, though.

:same:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

The Turn A and Barbatos are good, though.

Okay, I'll allow those.

I actually think the 00 and Exia look pretty good from the neck down, they just need to lose the Gundam fins/faceplate and have a monoeye/lens instead. :ssh: Oh, and not be painted in Tonka truck colours.

I'll also allow the Victory and Victory 2, with the same caveat.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 16, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

mikeycp posted:

It didn't. And it never will.

Exia Forever

:yeah:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I too think those things are great, and would be way better if they were made less fun too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like the Qant and Exia because of the nifty gem in the chest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
About to order the two Thunderbolt Master Grades. Hope this isn't a terrible idea.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Melraidin posted:

This didn't get near enough attention. This is a gorgeous build.

Thanks! It was the most complicated project I've done (due to the sheer number of parts and lacquer paints), and was basically a way to get metallic paints out of my system, as I had become way too reliant on them over actually shading and detailing kits.

Hyakuri-Elf AKA "I really need to build a lightbox" https://imgur.com/gallery/Wdwcx

Here's the promised better pics of my just finished project, going to keep the details in the imgur gallery so I dont feel like I'm spamming the thread with amateur projects and paint lists.

Amusingly enough, the parts that were the weakest joints of the project weren't the custom stuff, but the basic kit joints. It's admirable just how well this thing can keep those giant hyakuri legs in the air.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have a good guide to filling seem lines like these, on rounded parts? I've never done it before but I like this origin zaku enough that I'd like to try it, maybe practicing on some unused parts beforehand.

The problem is I don't paint, I just topcoat. If I understand correctly, scuff marks from sandpaper don't show up under a top coat, but stress lines clearly do.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Late to igloo chat but wow what a bunch of bad hot takes. Zudah is beautiful, tank boy is beautiful, little zeon pods are beautiful.

This dank rear end flip is beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jhhfyLnBEM

Edit for actual content:

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a good guide to filling seem lines like these, on rounded parts? I've never done it before but I like this origin zaku enough that I'd like to try it, maybe practicing on some unused parts beforehand.

The problem is I don't paint, I just topcoat. If I understand correctly, scuff marks from sandpaper don't show up under a top coat, but stress lines clearly do.

If you take some Tamiya extra thin cement, put it between the pieces, and clamp them shut overnight, when you sand you can totally get rid of the seam line. There's plenty of videos out there showing the process.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 16, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/908931174537379840

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

In a less than a month I'm going to be staring up at that thing and re-thinking my life decisions.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So the ZZ Ver.Ka looks kind of like an insane build:
https://twitter.com/ys_honten/status/908575183740354560

and the transformation:

asterioth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 17, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got some God Hand nippers in the mail today, and holy poo poo, does working with these feel amazing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Katoki deserves big props for making the ZZ gundam actually look solid and mobile.

How involved are the designers with the sculptors/kit engineers? As in, do the designers plan out how the joints work in concept, or are they entirely A E S T H E T I C. Just curious if I'm giving him too much credit that should go to Bandai's wiz kids.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

the ZZ is a beefy mess of a design and its pretty amazing they got that to even work

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

In fairness, the old ZZ MG also had a working transformation.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So they got the ZZ to work and be a good kit then, finally.

Now where's the FA set that is 200% going to be a P-Bandai exclusive?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I have a few extra bucks in this week's check and I'm starting to have a kit backlog. What model nippers should I replace the dulling ones with, since I feel like "repeatedly buying cat nail clippers is dumb as gently caress"?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I just got some God Hand nippers in the mail today, and holy poo poo, does working with these feel amazing

I saw those in a hobby store and while they did look pretty drat nippy the price tag was a little too much for a semi-casual snapper like myself.

Kuvo posted:

the ZZ is a beefy mess of a design and its pretty amazing they got that to even work

I really unironically love the ZZ and that actually looks good enough that I might want to drop the bucks on an MG.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

So I have a few extra bucks in this week's check and I'm starting to have a kit backlog. What model nippers should I replace the dulling ones with, since I feel like "repeatedly buying cat nail clippers is dumb as gently caress"?

If God Hand nippers are too pricy, Gundam Planet has their own nippers for $35, Tamiya $14, and Mr. Hobby has one for $22

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Dragon Momoko's Metal Build Exia is up for pre-order: http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-exia-repair-1234-gundam

and yes, the kit comes with everything you need to make either the standard Exia or its three Repair variants.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

Dragon Momoko's Metal Build Exia is up for pre-order: http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-exia-repair-1234-gundam
and yes, the kit comes with everything you need to make either the standard Exia or its three Repair variants.
Does it come with the R3's rifle thing? :ohdear:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

Does it come with the R3's rifle thing? :ohdear:

It comes with EVERYTHING

Personally, I'm gonna use it to make an R3 Repair, with the rifle and cloak

END ME SCOOB posted:

Get yourself some God Hands, and then find out you can never go back.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What's so great about those nippers?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It comes with EVERYTHING

Personally, I'm gonna use it to make an R3 Repair, with the rifle and cloak
That was pretty much my plan. :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What's so great about those nippers?

As shown on the product page, they're just really good at cleanly cutting plastic without mangling it or causing any stress marks, which make them great for people who display their kits unpainted.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
God Hands have basically let me not have to sand my kits anymore, which was my least favorite part of building. It's not 100% perfect but good enough for me.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

God Hands have basically let me not have to sand my kits anymore, which was my least favorite part of building. It's not 100% perfect but good enough for me.

This is the sort of reasoning I was looking for. Makes me consider getting them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This is the sort of reasoning I was looking for. Makes me consider getting them.

Give it two days and I'll give you my review, I just put in an order.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Look around and get a good price and dont pay like 60+ for them, they should run you around 40-50 depending on if you import them or not. I just ordered a pair off of usagundam for a little less than 45 after using a 10% off code, imported with slow shipping should be around 40-45 from what I'e seen. Places like amazon where they're 60+ normally. Gundam planet nippers are also good and seem to go for 35 on their site and amazon. One positive for GP nippers vs GH is Gp tends to have very good customer service and replaces broken pairs pretty regularly.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 18, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
My set of god hands were a gift, but I'm very happy with them and will probably buy another pair if these ever get to a point where they're not usable. I still sand and vpolish after clipping because I've got a big old perfectionist streak, but they definitely massively reduce the amount of work that goes into nub removal. I don't paint all of my kits, but I also don't feel like I need to in most cases. The only color that's super prone to stress marks even with careful clipper usage seems to be dark blue, and that's rare enough on most kits that you can deal with it when it crops up.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I invested in a set of semi decent nippers and a small file set that have an assortment of different shaped files.

Combine that with a set of those combo nail polishing pads and you can get a pretty good finish for straight snap builds.

The one thing I've found is to at least clean the polishing pads or use a different one for different colour pieces.

Nothing like sanding a white piece down with one you've used on a red or a blue to introduce the colour into it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sunrise running a poll on which MG ver.Ka they should do next: https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/09/gundam-info-polls-for-next-gundam-ver-ka.html

Disappointed the Barbatos is winning, since it's a good enough design that I don't really see what he could do for it. A Turn-A ver.Ka would be funny given how different (bad :v:) his redesign of it was, but I'm voting for the G-Self.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Everyone who didn't vote for the god gundam can go straight to hell

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sunrise running a poll on which MG ver.Ka they should do next: https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/09/gundam-info-polls-for-next-gundam-ver-ka.html

Disappointed the Barbatos is winning, since it's a good enough design that I don't really see what he could do for it. A Turn-A ver.Ka would be funny given how different (bad :v:) his redesign of it was, but I'm voting for the G-Self.

I think it's just that the Barbatos really needs a Master Grade. It's one of the few really substandard 1/100s. Mind you, the G-Self does as well.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw they're asking about the Lupus Rex, not the original Barbatos. Well, that could be interesting, and offers the most scope for artistic reinterpretation (that's not a stealth insult, it just seems like a design and concept that multiple artists could have interesting takes on).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 19, 2017

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
God Hands are real good. I still have to sand because I'm obsessive about nubs and seam lines, but its a little gross how smooth they can slice though plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm happy the Barbatos is winning, A. because I like the suit and B. because it keeps me from having to see the G-Self be acknowledged.

Also, you're being redundant :confused: