Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it would be pretty hilarious if the spirit bomb didn't even work on jiren because he's not evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

previews looked like the good poo poo animation

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Sorry to distract from spoiler chat. Just noticing, a lot of themes are reused between Super and Kai. I wonder for which they were composed but there's some themes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQx4Smzppg which is just a good theme for Shenron. or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SU0yomTdkM which, yeah is a leitmotif for the Kais.

There's a lot more too. Like god drat. I don't think it's a bad thing or anything like that, it's just kind of interesting that they decided to keep consistent musicality between Kai Final Chapters and Super.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ryaomon posted:

Frieze: *appears on camera for a single second*

Peanut gallery: HE IS CLEARLY PLANNING TO OVERTHROW THE GODS AND BECOME THE ABSOLUTE RULER OF EVERYTHING FOREVER

Like seriously guys calm down what the gently caress was that

This was the major drag. I've found that popcorn anime like Dragon Ball tends to have a really bad habit of over explaining jokes and subtle plot developments. That said, Beerus' panic was pretty funny. Overall a decent episode. Although the "twist" was predictable, Frost's final fate was not at all, so they balanced each other out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He totally is though

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TenCentFang posted:

This was the major drag. I've found that popcorn anime like Dragon Ball tends to have a really bad habit of over explaining jokes and subtle plot developments. That said, Beerus' panic was pretty funny. Overall a decent episode. Although the "twist" was predictable, Frost's final fate was not at all, so they balanced each other out.

I didn't expect the actual betrayal would come from Maximum Power. He could have done it golden form. But no, he let it play out. He let Frost Trust him. He made him really think Freiza saw him as some sort of useful thing compared to the Monkey Boy. And then, one little beam. One little shot and he's out. And it isn't even Frieza that kills Frost. He throws a final temper tantrum in True Frieza style and he gets iced by the Zen-Os.

This Episode played Frieza is dangerous in the best way it could. He got other Universes to cheer and hope on him. And then he swiftly gets rid of them and let's them endanger themselves by pissing off the Kings of Everything.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Half of Dracula posted:

Frost raging out at being thrown aside at the end was a lot like Freeza's rage after Goku spares him cut in half on Namek.

I think Frost was pretty cool (nice) and having his story end with such finality is a nice change of pace

Well if this arc ends with the erased universes or erased fighters being wished back, then Frost would presumably be brought back with them.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of which, I find it really odd they can't kill even though losers are erased anyway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TenCentFang posted:

Speaking of which, I find it really odd they can't kill even though losers are erased anyway.

The powerful ruling class is subject to different, less restrictive rules than the ones they hold lesser people to?

Tell me more, Comrade Toriyama-san!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

having to hold back makes for more interesting fights

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brother Entropy posted:

having to hold back makes for more interesting fights
Yeah otherwise the winning strategy would have been to grimly accept that Frieza's gonna Planet Destruction Ball the arena.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

Yeah otherwise the winning strategy would have been to grimly accept that Frieza's gonna Planet Destruction Ball the arena.

Death beam sniping would be more effective.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TenCentFang posted:

I thought Frieza would demonstrate this to be false so long as you do something in a cool way that the Zen-Os like. There's still time, of course. But I was thinking Freiza would really set the ToP ablaze by killing Frost and the Zen-Os Okaying it because it was sparkly and awesome technique to kill with.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If nothing else this episode shows there's pretty hard limits to what the Zen-Os will accept.

And as Nessus pointed out the no kill rule is an important story contrivance to keep someone from just blowing up the whole ring

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess it also rules out Freeza bleachers riot :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I am here for Frieza getting a redemption arc teased by helping Gohan instead of doing what everybody, including Whis, thought he was going to do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean Whis calling it out means he's absolutely going to do it. That's not a set up for a twist, that's just obvious foreshadowing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is it really foreshadowing when the intelligent aloof narrator character be like "yo, that guy is a bad apple"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
let me cling to the fantasy of a future tumblr post where Pan gives Frieza a mug that says "World's Best Horrible Space Dad"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I am here for Frieza getting a redemption arc teased by helping Gohan instead of doing what everybody, including Whis, thought he was going to do.

I don't think betraying your ally and calling him a worthless bitch qualifies as a redemption arc. If anything they're hinting he's going to try and usurp Beerus as the Universe 7 GoD, which I'm sure he'd enjoy.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What if freiza wishes for Goku to be made GoD and then fulfiles his desire to kill the GoD?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't know why people still spell it Frieza when in the show itself along with a crudely drawn sketch spelled it Freeza. At least the dub I1 watched spelled it the wrong way still.
The Japanese themselves are not consistent in how they romanize names, to include Goku's. I stopped worrying about Dragonball spelling more than twenty years ago.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I guess it also rules out Freeza bleachers riot :(
Maybe? Frost was erased by interfering with the game once he was ejected. There's a small chance mischief in the stands would be allowed.

Nobody is going to bet on that now, though!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Except they've always been super consistent on Freeza.

If you're going to spell it Frieza because that's what Funimation does so it's what you're used to that's fine but I dunno what's the point of saying "Well all the romanizations are bad, actually!" and then using a spelling that is equally as dumb as Gokou or Kylyln but without the excuse of having someone who doesn't know the english alphabet spelling it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's spelt Freaza

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's still pronounced the same drat way, unlike the millions of ways to render Krillin's name.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's still pronounced the same drat way, unlike the millions of ways to render Krillin's name.

the strongest human

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The romanisation of Frieza doesn't matter at all because everyone knows you are talking about Freeza when you use either. It's not like there's another famous as hell Freezer in anime.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The romanisation of Frieza doesn't matter at all because everyone knows you are talking about Freeza when you use either. It's not like there's another famous as hell Freezer in anime.

I just tried to google famous freezers and got pictures of bulldogs so that works out

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was just surprised that Jimeze is pronounced Jeemz. For some reason I kept reading it like a spanish name.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TenCentFang posted:

That Yardrat dude is definitely dead, he just didn't die until after frieza threw him out of the arena

I like how this episode brought back Gohan's acting skills after his brief hollywood stint

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Good ol' Jimmy Yardat

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder if God ki will come into play with the spirit bomb since that's essentially all there is to draw energy from.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

frieza is cool

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dango Bango posted:

I wonder if God ki will come into play with the spirit bomb since that's essentially all there is to draw energy from.

Can Goku draw on something he can't even feel?

e: Wait he can sense it now, right? I legit don't even remember

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 24, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

That Yardrat dude is definitely dead, he just didn't die until after frieza threw him out of the arena

I like how this episode brought back Gohan's acting skills after his brief hollywood stint

I was expecting universe 7 to toss him a senzu bean but nahhhh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

reignofevil posted:

I was expecting universe 7 to toss him a senzu bean but nahhhh

No point in helping someone you're about to kill anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Except they've always been super consistent on Freeza.

If you're going to spell it Frieza because that's what Funimation does so it's what you're used to that's fine but I dunno what's the point of saying "Well all the romanizations are bad, actually!" and then using a spelling that is equally as dumb as Gokou or Kylyln but without the excuse of having someone who doesn't know the english alphabet spelling it.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Speaking of which, maybe I missed something but how did Gohan even know that dude was a Yardrat? Not like Goku is known for giving detailed descriptions and I don't remember Goku commenting on the fact that guy was a Yardrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

my face is melting off like I just looked into the ark of the covenant