Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neurolimal posted:

Not entirely related to gundams, but I'm surprised by how prolific Bandai model kits are becoming, at least among toy coverage/YT channels/nerds. I certainly wasn't expecting a random glowing review of one during Ashen's stormtroopers video (especially since he seems to only have the patience for lego wrt building stuff).

They're cheap!

...I'm actually getting into gunpla because I saw some of the prices for the kits I really liked and they were like 20$ on amazon, which is way more affordable than the 80$+ kits I saw in the past. ... I mean I'll work up to those I'm sure, assuming I dig making these kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Not entirely related to gundams, but I'm surprised by how prolific Bandai model kits are becoming, at least among toy coverage/YT channels/nerds. I certainly wasn't expecting a random glowing review of one during Ashen's stormtroopers video (especially since he seems to only have the patience for lego wrt building stuff).

From watching far too much Ashens, I've noticed he appreciates figures for detail, coloring and articulation, something you definitely cannot fault the wider Bandai model ranges for. Other than that I think the painting and gluing puts people off model making more than the basic assembly itself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of people remember old snap kits being lovely and yes, the hassle of glue and paint needed to make old kits look nice. Bandai is a whole other level from Revell on that front.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/sakkan69/status/916156088004657152

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Post that in the general Gundam thread too.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Dom and Jerry

e: Oh duh, that's the joke

DKD fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 8, 2017

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
I loved the SD Hi-Nu so much I went and got another SD, the SD Sazabi:

Painted: The monoeye, the beam effect(it comes orange like the tubing/funnel effect part), the end of the beam saber handle(comes with 4 grey stickers to use), and some of the vents yellow. There's a sticker for the tips of the feet to make it match the other shade of red but I really don't like how it looks due to it being metallic. I really like how these SD kits look and turn out.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I decided to go back and finish the MG Exia I had, jesus christ I hope the PG is more stable than this loving thing. Think im gonna decal it for repair mode and leave it like that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

asterioth posted:

So I decided to go back and finish the MG Exia I had, jesus christ I hope the PG is more stable than this loving thing. Think im gonna decal it for repair mode and leave it like that.

Considering how the RG Exia is one of the most stable RGs, it's a pretty solid bet.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neurolimal posted:

The greybeards are supremely loving hyped about the Bandai Star Wars line these-a-days.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I really want that Mechanicore Ziegler but I'm going to Japan in a month specifically to drop money on gunpla. Ugh.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

That Gobbo posted:

I really want that Mechanicore Ziegler but I'm going to Japan in a month specifically to drop money on gunpla. Ugh.

That's good because it's from HK, so you can have it shipped directly to you!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone have any experince with the new Mr Hobby "premium" flat top coat? Supposedly its better than the standard but I can't find any objective breakdowns.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

MJP posted:

That's good because it's from HK, so you can have it shipped directly to you!

$410 is a lot to drop on a plastic model kit...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Gobbo posted:

not really...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Warhammer fans need to stop paying for disgustingly overpriced nonsense.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That is the saddest thing I've seen all week.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bimmi posted:

That is the saddest thing I've seen all week.

The saddest thing I saw all week is how insanely well the gunpla girl figures are selling. The P-Bandai Fumina Command sold out within days and almost every other premium figure is on sale by lottery because they can't fill enough orders. So ya, like this guy says:

Guy Goodbody posted:

You'll get Rick Do Gyanko and you'll like it

We can expect to see many many more of these. :negative:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Went to the Gundam base in Odaiba and seeing the giant Unicorn Gundam was really awe inspiring. Huge.

The store on the 7th floor was insane. I wanted to get the RX78 kit that was like the original kits they made and... sold out. I did get the exclusive 'gloss' version that's slightly pearl white and 2 other kits, and my friend who doesn't even know what Gundam is grabbed both exclusive versions of the petitgguy (silver/gold) and one for her daughter. Apparently they were too cute to pass up.

The mini museum is just that, mini. But they had a cool model of the factory and seeing the molds used was cool.

Had a great time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

That Gobbo posted:

buy the kit

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be fair, while still hideously overpriced (like most GW stuff), those things are like a third the size of a person and have some pretty amazing sculpts themselves. If you ignore that Bandai knocks it out of the park WRT pricing and quality that's not the absolute worst enthusiast purchase :v:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Went to the Gundam base in Odaiba and seeing the giant Unicorn Gundam was really awe inspiring. Huge.

The store on the 7th floor was insane. I wanted to get the RX78 kit that was like the original kits they made and... sold out. I did get the exclusive 'gloss' version that's slightly pearl white and 2 other kits, and my friend who doesn't even know what Gundam is grabbed both exclusive versions of the petitgguy (silver/gold) and one for her daughter. Apparently they were too cute to pass up.

The mini museum is just that, mini. But they had a cool model of the factory and seeing the molds used was cool.

Had a great time.

Do they still have the Freedom upper torso and ceiling movie?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They can make all the plastic waifus they bloody well like, if it means better budgets for things I am actually interested in.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I want a whole line of plastic Gundam characters dressed up as the suit they use, with universal connectors for limbs and armor pieces. Don't just do BF stuff.

I want to make a Domuro or The Heer-O.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Jumping on the plastic waifu train: http://gundamlog.com/archives/50805346.html

As happy as I am to be getting an Aila Figure-Rise bust, can we please get the Char bust that was announced a year or two ago first please?

EDIT: Google Translate of page contents shows that it looks like they're begging Bandai to make it, so we can hold out for an official announcement that X more hours of engineering were dedicated to sculpting Aila's perfect visage instead of the HGFC Tequila Gundam.

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 11, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Azubah posted:

Do they still have the Freedom upper torso and ceiling movie?

No they didn't. The middle of the store is like a giant showroom floor so maybe they swap out whats there? Right now its everything Unicorn and theres a color changing LED Unicorn on display and some hand drawn art. The video they were playing on the ceiling was sort of a greatest hits showcase of different gundams with their names and series in the corner.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I want a whole line of plastic Gundam characters dressed up as the suit they use, with universal connectors for limbs and armor pieces. Don't just do BF stuff.

Char in a red speedo and beam umbrella giving zabi kids in various gimmick swimwear wedgies and ice cubes

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
getting close on finishing my MG Sazabi and am thinking about top coating it. Any tutorials/tips/advice? If im looking for a matte look, which top coat should i use?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

getting close on finishing my MG Sazabi and am thinking about top coating it. Any tutorials/tips/advice? If im looking for a matte look, which top coat should i use?

If you're going for a matte finish, just make sure you're doing it in a warm environment and that the topcoat itself isn't cold, otherwise you run the extreme risk of frosting. Also, I would recommend dismantling Sazabi into its main sections (torso, legs, arms, etc) rather than trying to topcoat the entire assembled model.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Definitely segment. You don't want to be trying out some new pose a few months down the line only to realize you exposed some unsprayed ankle or shoulder joint.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya i was defiantly going to take it apart. when you talk about frosting do you mean the spray gets cold as the internal pressure drops (like with compressed air cans)? should i wait a bit between sprays to let it warm back up?

also should i bother trying to mask clear plastic (the only one on the sazabi is the face visor) or does that not matter?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I tried out the new Vallejo Mecha Color matte varnish on my MG Dom and it turned out great. I assume the other line varnishes are basically the same.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Absolutely mask clear plastic.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

The greybeards are supremely loving hyped about the Bandai Star Wars line these-a-days.

I actually imagine that the greybeards must be quite impressed by Bandai's building quality. It must be like a whole new world for these guys.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Where's the Gundam sentai spinoff where the heroes wear their mobile suits as armour to fight evil sorcerers from outer space??? They could basically do one per timeline at this point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Where's the Gundam sentai spinoff where the heroes wear their mobile suits as armour to fight evil sorcerers from outer space??? They could basically do one per timeline at this point.

That would be the worst

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lemon-Lime posted:

IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!

Amuro: Nu!
Domon: God!
Heero: Wing!
Garrod: X!
Banagher: Unicorn!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

That would be the best

I agree.

Funky Valentine posted:

IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!

Hell, you can do Amuro/Kamille/Judau/Banagher/Char for just UC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Funky Valentine posted:

IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!

Harry: UNIVERSE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

I agree.

Hell, you can do Amuro/Kamille/Judau/Banagher/Char for just UC.

Wouldn't Char be better as the sixth ranger?