Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

24/7 no but if you blast it for like an hour while you're in there it'll be warm *enough*

Really? I could even swing a few hours. I just don’t want to gently caress up the finish since I have a 300 dollar cut of marble on top. It’s also my first time using poly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, poly doesn't take forever to dry. Worst case you have to sand it (not off, just smooth) and do a followup coat in the spring but meanwhile the wood is still protected.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Took almost 2 days to cut 32 gigantic mortises for loose tenons for this big table. I'd have done normal tenons, but I was severely limited on length and in such a big piece, loose tenons are just as strong.

Now I have to handcut normal tenons on the center stretchers, because they're way too long to do accurately on the tablesaw :v:

e: I have two 5 1/2" center rails that span between the vertical legs. I'd like to do a 4 3/4" tenon and either glue only the center 3"ish of tenon and drawbore, or do a twin tenon. I have no idea which is preferable. I've done lots of drawboring, but never twin tenons/haunched twin tenons.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 4, 2017

bred
Oct 24, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want to make a bench, like, the kind you sit on. I'd like the seat to be hinged so I can put storage underneath it. I'm sure there must be plans out there for stuff like this, but if you search for bench plans, you'll turn up tons of workbench plans, which is a completely different topic. I can design something myself that would probably work, but do any of y'all have plans you'd recommend?

Some keywords to help: shoe bench, mud bench, window seat storage, ceder chest, etc.

We have a window seat built in that we cut the lid out of the top in a U shape and added a piano hinge on the back. We made a cabinet carcass under the opening so the storage cross section is the same as the lid opening. Lost some storage there but it supports the span and keeps the shapes easy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bred posted:

Some keywords to help: shoe bench, mud bench, window seat storage, ceder chest, etc.

We have a window seat built in that we cut the lid out of the top in a U shape and added a piano hinge on the back. We made a cabinet carcass under the opening so the storage cross section is the same as the lid opening. Lost some storage there but it supports the span and keeps the shapes easy.

Thanks, this helps.

Hypnolobster posted:

Took almost 2 days to cut 32 gigantic mortises for loose tenons for this big table. I'd have done normal tenons, but I was severely limited on length and in such a big piece, loose tenons are just as strong.

That's cherry, isn't it? How much did you spend on lumber for this project, if you don't mind my asking?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Feenix posted:

Time got away from me (two small kids) and now I can’t poly my end table until spring because it’s 32 degrees in my unfinished garage and at best it’s probably not going to tip above mid-forties for any appreciable amount of time. :(

Sorry, just venting.

(I’m not sure leaving a heater on 24/7 is a good or safe idea either...)

Yeah, I'm in the exact same spot. I was more than halfway done pre-finishing my bookshelf with poly, but then I had to leave for a week for work, and now it's unlikely to get above the mid-30s until April. Sigh. I should probably move the parts indoors over winter, I guess.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks, this helps.

That's cherry, isn't it? How much did you spend on lumber for this project, if you don't mind my asking?

Bought about 150bdft, most of that being 8/4 for the top. I supplemented with some of my cherry stash that I've gotten over the years. I think about $700 total as roughsawn that I actually purchased. If I wasn't going for a really thick tabletop, or wasn't making it 42"x8', it'd be a lot cheaper.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Same story as always: still not enough clamps.

e: Found more clamps, game on!!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 5, 2017

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I got some pipe clamps recently and I gotta admit they work great. However, why go with the black pipe when they leave so much residue?

re: winterchat, I'm telling you get an unfinished basement that is concrete with drains in the floor and never look back.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Galvanized just costs more. I use black pipe, and a minute or two of sanding with 120, wipe down with spirits and then wipe on a coat of polyurethane with a rag. Glue pops off easier and it doesn't transfer any black stuff.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
Since were on the subject of clamps... I have severe envy of that amount of clamps. I need more clamps, but good Lord I feel like it's more cost than the some of the tools I have to just clamp something. What is everyone doing?

Pipe clamps? I'd like at least another half dozen of at least 24" capacity.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hypnolobster posted:

Galvanized just costs more. I use black pipe, and a minute or two of sanding with 120, wipe down with spirits and then wipe on a coat of polyurethane with a rag. Glue pops off easier and it doesn't transfer any black stuff.

This, the black stops transferring very quickly, or you can shortcut the process with a trivial amount of cleanup. I don’t bother putting anything on them though.

Bessey pipe clamp heads are on sale at HD right now, FYI. I know this because I went to buy more and they were sold out on account of being on sale. :/

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 5, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xwing posted:

Since were on the subject of clamps... I have severe envy of that amount of clamps. I need more clamps, but good Lord I feel like it's more cost than the some of the tools I have to just clamp something. What is everyone doing?

Pipe clamps? I'd like at least another half dozen of at least 24" capacity.

Denial. Just buy a couple every now and then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, the beauty of pipe clamps is that you don’t need to permanently devote the head to whatever size clamp. Just keep a stash of various lengths of pipe, and half a dozen heads.

Also, be sure to get heads that have feet on the back so they can stand in place on their own, like the bessey. That’s real nice.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

cakesmith handyman posted:

Denial. Just buy a couple every now and then.

Sigh... that's what I've been doing. I'm always on the look out for estate sales and old dudes who can't do woodwork like they used to. That's how I landed my band saw a few months ago, old dude hobbling around.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Also, the beauty of pipe clamps is that you don’t need to permanently devote the head to whatever size clamp. Just keep a stash of various lengths of pipe, and half a dozen heads.

Also, be sure to get heads that have feet on the back so they can stand in place on their own, like the bessey. That’s real nice.

Man I really want some pipe clamps now. I got a bunch of F Clamps for my birthday and I like them a lot, but storing them is a pain in the rear end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The only other advice I have is to try cranking the clamp down before you buy. Some of them have different style cranks. Not to swoon over bessey any more, but I like their style of crank handle more than, say, the kind with a rod hanging loose through the screw. Sure the loose rod lets you shift it from one side to the other which is nice in tight spaces, but the wide, fixed paddles of the bessey crank handle are a lot easier on the hands, and you can still get them PLENTY tight without the extra 3/4" of leverage, enough to visibly deflect a 24" long 1/2" pipe anyhow.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

You can get 3/4" black pipe free if you know remodels where they're upgrading the gas in older houses.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Our daughter just turned ten months old a week ago. She can use furniture to stand up, and she has been pushing this little piano toy around the living room by pushing on it. So I decided to make her a little toy walker with some room for a few of her toys.

I have no idea what kind of wood the body is made of. I got it from a beat-up dresser a neighbor put out on the curb with a sign that said "FREE." The wheels are made from pine plaque holders from the hobby store along with pine axles made for toy cars. I don't have quite enough patience to make fiddly little things like axles. The handle is a dowel from the hardware store. I goofed and the dowel is larger than my largest drill bit, so I spun the ends around over the top of my table saw to reduce the diameter for the parts that go through the uprights.

I finished it with some "natural" colored Danish oil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I find it productive to throw a $10 or whatever clamp in the cart whenever I spend $3digits on wood and supplies at a lumber yardd.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

PBCrunch posted:

Our daughter just turned ten months old a week ago. She can use furniture to stand up, and she has been pushing this little piano toy around the living room by pushing on it. So I decided to make her a little toy walker with some room for a few of her toys.

I have no idea what kind of wood the body is made of. I got it from a beat-up dresser a neighbor put out on the curb with a sign that said "FREE." The wheels are made from pine plaque holders from the hobby store along with pine axles made for toy cars. I don't have quite enough patience to make fiddly little things like axles. The handle is a dowel from the hardware store. I goofed and the dowel is larger than my largest drill bit, so I spun the ends around over the top of my table saw to reduce the diameter for the parts that go through the uprights.

:waycool:

You put a lot more effort in on your box joints than the dado I used for mine.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Hubis posted:

:waycool:

You put a lot more effort in on your box joints than the dado I used for mine.

He didn't do the box joints I believe. It was an existing drawer? It's a super cute and well finished though. Very simple and meaningful.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
No, I did the box joints. Three wood came from an old dresser, but I don't think any of these parts came from the drawers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PBCrunch posted:

Charming. Could be birch, or a fruitwood like pecan or hickory, but those are hardly used for drawers, imo.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

PBCrunch posted:

No, I did the box joints. Three wood came from an old dresser, but I don't think any of these parts came from the drawers.

Even better. :D I interpreted your post to mean it was actually a drawer you pulled from the dresser. Simple and clean. People don't have toys like that anymore and it's a shame.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I’m thinking about getting the Rigid thickness planer. Any reason to get a different one that’s around the same price? Sadly the big dewalt one is out of my price range.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

coathat posted:

I’m thinking about getting the Rigid thickness planer. Any reason to get a different one that’s around the same price? Sadly the big dewalt one is out of my price range.

Same, I'm hoping to pick one up for Black Friday

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The DeWalt 735 drops to like $500 on Amazon with an extra set of blades and the feed tables every year around Christmas.

If that is out of your price range then the Rigid would be my second pick. I've never seen them go on Black Friday sale but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Don't forget about the used market.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Believe me I’ve been looking at used ones but all the good deals are usually too far away and get scooped up immediately. And everything else aren’t good enough of a bargain to pick a 2 blade used planer over something better and with a warranty.

Although there is a 18 inch wood master for sale for 1800 which would be awesome to have and be completely wasted on someone like me.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
It's totally OK and FINE to waste an old industrial machine's potential in your hobby-level shop.

I have a few Oliver and Walker Turner machines from around the '30s, and each one out-performs whatever I'd have bought at the same prices (including and rust removal, paint, new bearings, etc. they needed).

The well-supported old tools should be first on most hobbyist's lists, IMO. This includes Unisaws, Parks Planers, WT bandsaws (16" preferred, but 14" is still a monster), basically any jointer from 6" up, and tons of DP options. If you want to get weird add a scrollsaw or sander eventually.

Point is: All the contractor / pros will want the most recent Bosch saw, so skip the used market for those tools. If you don't need to travel with your tools, buy heavy and old, put them on wheels, and enjoy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Even if something is 'wasted' on you because you're an amateur or hobbyist, it's less wasted than if it goes in a landfill or sits in storage collecting dust and never seeing the light of day.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

How useful is a standalone jointer vs making a sled for a DW735? I guess you can't really edge joint boards with a dw735 (depening on the board), but that's the only downside I can think of...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If you've got room and money for it, why not get it? I have neither so I make do, but the correct machine for the task is almost always better.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you get on edge true you can use the planer to make the other edge paralell as long as it is narrower than the planners Max capacity. I do this all the time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tres Burritos posted:

How useful is a standalone jointer vs making a sled for a DW735? I guess you can't really edge joint boards with a dw735 (depening on the board), but that's the only downside I can think of...

A good joiner can square up material, straighten long boards, bevel.....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just found out about the Bosch Nanoblade. Not available in the US, yet. Any UK/Euro goons got one?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well, I got lucky today and stopped at the used tool shop downtown and he'd just gotten a Dewalt 734 in over the weekend so I snagged it for 200 bucks. It looks like it has hardly been used and it's working fine. I was really surprised since he hadn't had a planer come in for six months.

Now I've just got to move everything around and find a good spot for it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Dumping more pictures of this table because my long weekend is over and all I want in life is to be back in the shop cleaning up the base and getting a couple more coats of finish on it.

Prefinished everything with Armorseal

Drawbored the twin tenons on the long rails, mostly because I don't have any 6' clamps and ratchet straps aren't quite enough. Also out of paranoia and worry that the top may someday sag (it really wont), I did two quick rails at the top with dowels. Don't really need to be strong, just have decent shear strength.

e: VV hey there cherryfriend. That's mighty nice

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
^That table is coming together nicely.

Tres Burritos posted:

It's also way quicker running a board over the jointer vs shimming each board. I used a sled for a while for pieces bigger than my 6" jointer, now that I have an 8" jointer I only need to use the sled once in a blue moon when I find and need a piece wider than 8".

I got my mirror back from the glass shop, which means this vanity is complete. It's cherry with walnut drawer handles, and the drawer sides are butternut.

The stool.

With stool.

Because everyone loves dovetails.

Handle detail.