Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bogatyr posted:

The area is a convergence of horrible. Ticky tacky tract homes, horrible traffic, dairy farms are still around so, poop. IE heat and the 15 corridor is also where the Santa Ana winds bast drown from the Cajon Pass.

Housing is also 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of neighboring Orange and LA counties so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Did they mean to name the community the persevere? Because either the farmer is going to make a killing or the condos are going to be sold at tax firesale prices.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's small fry compared to the regular stuff here, but I never noticed how goofy this left over tap is at my parents' place. It's too close to the wall to turn over or turn on. Laundry is right there, I guess it was on the other side of the wall before things were renovated years ago.

(Or maybe this is totally reasonable, I'm no plumber)

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Do any of those 'upscale' houses have a garden?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FCKGW posted:

Hell yeah lets built our upscale, walkable community around an active dairy farm.

Once people move in and raise enough hell over the active dairy farm, they'll get it shut down and wow, more cheap land to develop on! Depending on the state, they could incorporate the township against his wishes, create a series of zoning laws, refuse to grandfather him in, then sue for failure to comply with the laws.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Living near a dairy farm was the least dystopian sounding thing about that whole mess to me. Though perhaps in america it has been industrialized to antihuman hellscape proportions than here were smaller farms are still the norm. I live around farmers myself, you smell cow dung now and then in the springs when they fertilize the fields. It's only natural, makes me feel anchored to the ground to know where the literal stuff of life comes from and that someone has to work to produce it, doesn't just appear in stores.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

His Divine Shadow posted:

Living near a dairy farm was the least dystopian sounding thing about that whole mess to me. Though perhaps in america it has been industrialized to antihuman hellscape proportions than here were smaller farms are still the norm. I live around farmers myself, you smell cow dung now and then in the springs when they fertilize the fields. It's only natural, makes me feel anchored to the ground to know where the literal stuff of life comes from and that someone has to work to produce it, doesn't just appear in stores.

Look carefully at that picture. So you see any pastures, or open areas of any significant size? It sure looks like a battery farm, ie industrialized hellscape.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Humans packed up tight to each other around animals packed tight to each other, what's not to like. This is what factorylifeexistence was meant to be. Do not disparage people for the american dream.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Look carefully at that picture. So you see any pastures, or open areas of any significant size? It sure looks like a battery farm, ie industrialized hellscape.

I'll have your milk if you don't want any.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Is there a DIY thread for small projects/questions? I need to set up a punching bag of the sort that hangs from the ceiling but have no idea how to go about doing it.

Use the fix it fast thread like Dave recommended. Still, that's a pretty simple project. Here's the quick version.

1. Find a ceiling joist
2. Buy a big eye screw
3. Drill a hole into the joist from underneath
4. Screw the eye bolt into the hole. Use a big rear end screwdriver or fixed wrench to turn the eye screw.
5. Hand the bag from the eye

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Use the fix it fast thread like Dave recommended. Still, that's a pretty simple project. Here's the quick version.

1. Find a ceiling joist
2. Buy a big eye screw
4. Screw the eye bolt into the hole. Use a big rear end screwdriver or fixed wrench to turn the eye screw.

Or you get lucky like me and have a brace that the previous owner built to hold motorcycle engines.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Once people move in and raise enough hell over the active dairy farm, they'll get it shut down and wow, more cheap land to develop on! Depending on the state, they could incorporate the township against his wishes, create a series of zoning laws, refuse to grandfather him in, then sue for failure to comply with the laws.

Eh, most farms in this area are voluntarily taking the multi-millions of dollars that developers are throwing at them and just moving to the Central Valley. There’s no good reason you need a dairy farm to be 30 miles from LA. This particular one just hasn’t had a good enough offer yet.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

1. Find a ceiling joist
2. Buy a big eye screw

I thought spanning two joists was generally a good idea for heavy loads like that? Or he could get something like this, which will screw into two joists without having to mess around with any cutting/measuring.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Goredema posted:

I thought spanning two joists was generally a good idea for heavy loads like that? Or he could get something like this, which will screw into two joists without having to mess around with any cutting/measuring.

That would be a pain the in rear end with a finished ceiling. The pivot point would be above the drywall, so you'd need a decent size hole so you aren't tearing into the ceiling with every swing. You could probably cut a smaller one if you have a bungie attached to the bottom of the bag to absorb the deflection. It's still going to be a bare hole into your attic. And if you have cellulose insulation... ugh.

It would work well in an unfinished basement. Or even a drop ceiling where you could remove a single tile to hang it.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

That would be a pain the in rear end with a finished ceiling. The pivot point would be above the drywall, so you'd need a decent size hole so you aren't tearing into the ceiling with every swing. You could probably cut a smaller one if you have a bungie attached to the bottom of the bag to absorb the deflection. It's still going to be a bare hole into your attic. And if you have cellulose insulation... ugh.

It would work well in an unfinished basement. Or even a drop ceiling where you could remove a single tile to hang it.

Yeah, it would only work in an unfinished garage or basement. With a finished ceiling, a joist-spanning sub-joist would be better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nah, eventually the operators of the farm will decide to cash out on their own. Sell the animals and equipment at auction and the land to a developer for crazy money. It’s essentially a retirement plan for them.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Goredema posted:

I thought spanning two joists was generally a good idea for heavy loads like that?
Yeah that's how I did it (also did it to allow more flexible placement), a beam was close so I figured why not attach to that too:

I tested it with over 200kg hanging off it (wanted to be sure it'd hold because I use it for a couple of cable excersizes too).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wouldn't it be better to use Z brackets so you don't put all the load on the screw threads? Or are those bolted all the way through?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

StormDrain posted:

Nah, eventually the operators of the farm will decide to cash out on their own. Sell the animals and equipment at auction and the land to a developer for crazy money. It’s essentially a retirement plan for them.

Oh, eventually that always happens, but sometimes it doesn't happen fast enough for the tastes of the people smelling cow poo poo all day.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Oh, eventually that always happens, but sometimes it doesn't happen fast enough for the tastes of the people smelling cow poo poo all day.

People. What a bunch of bastards.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Collateral Damage posted:

Wouldn't it be better to use Z brackets so you don't put all the load on the screw threads? Or are those bolted all the way through?
Yeah it would be but I happened to have the 4 brackets on sides left over from another project, the screws are pretty beefy (14g as I recall) and go almost the whole way through so I doubt it's a problem.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Industrial hellscape that smells like cow piss. Which you can detect from the highway a half mile away with your windows up and A/C on.

Collateral Damage posted:

#14 screw fails at 1390lb in shear in wood (against 14ga galvy steel) according to first source in google, 1277lb in tension. Multiply by 8. Seems good enough.

Value Engineering says he probably could have gotten away with #2 screws 3/4" long if he just wanted a 100% safety factor, instead of 2500%.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

In (presumably) fir, I'd expect the screw to wiggle around, egg out the hole, and pull out long before the steel failed. Heavy punching bags aren't a static load.

Disclaimer: I don't build houses; I do build wood furniture around heavy live loads like that. This may or may not be code compliant but it'd be strong as poo poo.

If I was gonna hang a heavy bag there it'd be a flat 2x6 on top of 4 beams (joists?), with stacked flat 2x6 filling the air gap between that and the drywall, all screwed together with big rear end wood/decking screws (like these but 5"), with a fat eye bolt through the whole thing. Like this:

I would also remove that 2" circle of drywall (I forgot to in the illustration) so the bolt is clamping down on solid wood; that spot is gonna get annihilated and need a patch if you move out, regardless. This spreads out the possibly 200+ pounds of swinging bag across four beams and all the screws + stacked pieces wedge the whole thing in there as tight as possible to prevent it twisting things apart up where you can't see it.

I might even use structural lags (example: here) instead of decking screws, but I don't know if that many quarter inch holes would adversely affect the strength of the joists, especially the middle two; decking screws don't worry me there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Javid posted:

Disclaimer: I don't build houses; I do build wood furniture around heavy live loads like that.
You sure do.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Slugworth posted:

You sure do.

:quagmire:

I have built essentially the thing I diagrammed up there for people. It works.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Javid posted:

In (presumably) fir, I'd expect the screw to wiggle around, egg out the hole, and pull out long before the steel failed. Heavy punching bags aren't a static load.
Yeah that failure mode is what came to mind I when Collateral bought up Z brackets. It would be unlikely to happen to screws on longer brackets (connecting timber to beam) because of flex in brackets, those on smaller brackets would cop it worse, though that piece of timber is very snug against the joists which restricts movement somewhat.

I guess it's probably worth revisiting once I've got time. Part of the problem is that I threw this up in a couple of hours and local hardware store didn't have eyebolts that were any longer than the one I used (as you can see I had JUST enough thread to put 2 nuts on end) and that meant timber piece had to be pretty much right up against the plaster.

Javid posted:

I would also remove that 2" circle of drywall (I forgot to in the illustration) so the bolt is clamping down on solid wood; that spot is gonna get annihilated and need a patch if you move out, regardless.
There's steel plate on both top and bottom of timber which eyebolt passes through, I did that to prevent bolt from wearing out the hole in timber and plaster beneath, and so far damage to plaster is limited to the size of the hole I drilled (it's my house and I'm good at patching plaster so not fussed really). If nothing else damage to plaster will indicate play in the mount (acting as a warning of sorts).

Edit: just a thought - what if I added another timber piece that sat atop the joists and used steel plate to brace the two together (screws would be used for this but they'd be in sheer, at least 4 screws per piece of timber on each side) would you see the holes ovalling out enough to matter anytime soon?

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 29, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Javid posted:

:quagmire:

I have built essentially the thing I diagrammed up there for people. It works.

There's a saying around engineering schools: Anyone can build a bridge to take a 10-ton load. Only an engineer can design-build a bridge that can take AT MOST a 10-ton load.

If you just overbuild the rear end out of something, it's possible that you're at 5% of max loading of every component and you'll never know because it'll never fail. If you go do the math on some stuff and find out that (engineering wise) you really only need eight screws and four l-brackets to have a 300% safety factor, then you just saved yourself maybe a couple of bucks in hardware.

Moral: For homeowners and DIYers, go crazy; you're building one, and build it to never, ever, ever fail. The difference in cost is negligible.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Me, I just call that "overkill is underrated".

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Why why why would you try and use this as a kitchen sink?

It's supposed to be a bar sink/wine cooler

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
A house made out of windshields.

and shipping containers?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 29, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Is that a set of blinds mounted externally?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Youth Decay posted:

Why why why would you try and use this as a kitchen sink?

It's supposed to be a bar sink/wine cooler

That doesn't look like it's placed in a kitchen to me. Looks like a sink in the bathroom of a bar or restaurant.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/DkrSsRg.gifv

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

There's a dish brush and soap for dishes there, which suggests it's a kitchen. I can't understand why anyone would possibly want to wash dishes in a sink that small though, plus the handwipes are a bit strange.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Between the wipes and soap dispenser, I would say a recently remodeled office kitchenette.

They probably said "we want a little sink here" and they got that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ruflux posted:

There's a dish brush and soap for dishes there, which suggests it's a kitchen.

Not really, it only suggest they might clean dishes off wherever that is. Could be a secondary eating area, that could be neat on my patio where sometimes i need to wash off a dish that had raw meat on it to put the cooked meat back onto.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Dave posted:

Not really, it only suggest they might clean dishes off wherever that is. Could be a secondary eating area, that could be neat on my patio where sometimes i need to wash off a dish that had raw meat on it to put the cooked meat back onto.

I'd rather have a regular bar sink that you could at least get your hand into to wash off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Dave posted:

While the things you say are plausible, but Occam's Razor and being aware of general human ignorance tells me that's used as a kitchen sink.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Goddamn, this precisely reflects my home-ownership experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah there's an invisible leak somewhere in my heating system and that's a little too close to home.