Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I had fun with my Brute but by level 5-6 I was basically a steamroller so I couldn't really see myself going up to level 9. Also I didn't want to complete too many scenarios, so that I could keep the game fresh by trying other classes. So even though I will miss him, I basically retired him as soon as was feasible. Still haven't tried my new class though.

I'm a level 3 scoundrel right now and am having a ton of fun being stabby man and have been actively avoiding going places that might have cultists or bandits because I almost retired on like scenario 2. I may take a "harder" retirement goal for my second character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

please knock Mom! posted:

I had to take a step back when I almost completed my goal. I mean, if you complete it you basically ax your character... and I want to use that tasty loving level 9 spellweaver card. 3 damage to everything in the room?!

Build another one later. Lol of you are on the starting 6 by no other options and not by choice.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nephzinho posted:

I'm a level 3 scoundrel right now and am having a ton of fun being stabby man and have been actively avoiding going places that might have cultists or bandits because I almost retired on like scenario 2. I may take a "harder" retirement goal for my second character.
Yeah level 3 is kind of too early to retire. I was lucky that my retirement goal was basically "play 12 scenarios" so I didn't need to worry about going for/avoiding specific scenarios. I think the only time we did specific scenarios for goals was when my partner's scoundrel was looking for retirement (which happened at the same time as my Brute), but even then she was like level 5 when it happened, and with 15 scenarios under our belt.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah don't forget that future characters start at the prosperity level of Gloomhaven, so you can retire a character, grind up prosperity and then come back later a higher level.

Or you could just say "lets build a level 9 party and go hog wild", Isaac Childres isn't going to bust through the wall and slap the cards out of your hands.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah don't forget that future characters start at the prosperity level of Gloomhaven, so you can retire a character, grind up prosperity and then come back later a higher level.

Or you could just say "lets build a level 9 party and go hog wild", Isaac Childres isn't going to bust through the wall and slap the cards out of your hands.

Yeah. Follow the rule of fun (in all games). If you dont and to wait 5 more scenarios to fight that last cultist. Well whatever we "replayed" a scenario. Retired. I like the campaign unlock loop in this game but sometimes you can RNG yourself into a corner.

I unlocked a support class that rarely ever attacks. His retirement options were to kill x things or kill x other things. It was thematically dissonant for the class and would have taken like 50 scenarios. Better believe I just drew 2 new cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My current goal/theme combo is really appropriate, and I picked it even though the other goal I had was easier/would have unlocked a class I wanted to try: (saw symbol and a specific goal card spoiler) my sawbones was given the Find the Cure goal, which seemed appropriate for a healer of the Great Oak

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean, the real measure of power is perks/items not level anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Well if you make a level 9 you get 8 perks and 135 gold

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

My current goal/theme combo is really appropriate, and I picked it even though the other goal I had was easier/would have unlocked a class I wanted to try: (saw symbol and a specific goal card spoiler) my sawbones was given the Find the Cure goal, which seemed appropriate for a healer of the Great Oak

I just finished that quest and it was pretty trippy!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Well if you make a level 9 you get 8 perks and 135 gold

+ the perk for every character you previously retired.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

+ the perk for every character you previously retired.

Yeah. Can't forget that!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now that people have gotten through a couple different characters (and seen their friends play others), what classes are people enjoying the most? Or the least? Which feels like it doesn't do its intended role particularly well? I know I've heard that Music Note is quite strong but I haven't personally experienced it. Scoundrel seems absolutely bonkers, especially once you get their kill card at level 4 (or was it 5?), but I'm sure that's at least in part because I've been playing in a full party. Cragheart's limited range and lack of movement has been frustrating at times but is still enjoyable when you get to drop a bunch of AoE damage or mitigate a shitton of damage from across the room with their party shield.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Now that people have gotten through a couple different characters (and seen their friends play others), what classes are people enjoying the most? Or the least? Which feels like it doesn't do its intended role particularly well? I know I've heard that Music Note is quite strong but I haven't personally experienced it. Scoundrel seems absolutely bonkers, especially once you get their kill card at level 4 (or was it 5?), but I'm sure that's at least in part because I've been playing in a full party. Cragheart's limited range and lack of movement has been frustrating at times but is still enjoyable when you get to drop a bunch of AoE damage or mitigate a shitton of damage from across the room with their party shield.

Lesse.

My favorite so far is Triforce, for sure. Level 7 skill is completely, utterly, stupidly nuts, and then I enhanced it to be even better.

My wife loved her cragheart, fell completely in love with Sun, and now is saying she didn't know she could love that much again since she is saying gritty helmet is her favorite.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I find the brute to be pretty vanilla right now (level 3), but I'm looking forward to some of the cool move - attack - move - attack - finisher combos that it seems like you can pull off at later levels.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

I find the brute to be pretty vanilla right now (level 3), but I'm looking forward to some of the cool move - attack - move - attack - finisher combos that it seems like you can pull off at later levels.

Brute is the simplest class. It's kind of explicitly kid class.

That is not to say it by any means useless or weak. Just the simple hit poo poo class. It you want to just hit poo poo...might think about retiring him asap. There's a lot in that box.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah...the thing that kind of sucks is that I also chose the goal to get 4 enhancements and I didn't realize that it was going to take a couple scenarios until that was even a possibility to me.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Any strong opinions on whether to unlock the saw or the moon?

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 11, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

Any strong opinions on whether to unlock the saw or the swirly circle? Not the concentric circles, the negative reputation one.

Ubisoft logo?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Oh sorry it's the moon class. Didn't have them in front of me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Saw, because moon you can unlock with -10 rep.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

That might be a party choice they aren't making though. Which will never happen then.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Moon class is rad. Saw is also cool, but moon is sweet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The only class I have seen i don't care for is ubisoft. And thats my aversion to its gimmick.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I don't know if anyone else has got to the point of wanting to start a new campaign yet, but my wife and I basically exhausted everything there was to do in the campaign and are wanting to reset and start over with a 'new game+' kinda thing. We had some particular issues with the campaign once we got higher prosperity and lots of retired characters as it seems like the game gets a lot easier with higher levels and specific items that become available, so we were explicitly wanting to make a few rule changes that make the game more challenging at higher levels, and hopefully more interesting/varied as well.

The main changes we're intending on using are
- No stamina potions
- We can only have a single copy of any given item between us
- Retired characters take their gear with them (so those items are no longer available)
- Make X regular enemies in each room elite instead, where X is the scenario level-1

Has anyone come up with any interesting thoughts for making the game more challenging/varied on a repeat play-through?

Also seconding moon class for unlocking, was one of my favourites on the first playthrough (albeit potentially a bit too strong)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
can anyone tell me why some of the level 9 cards have +exp on them? the game even explicitly says in the rules that theres no value in exp after you max out your level. is it just to make that one battle goal difficult?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Or the other possible?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah...the thing that kind of sucks is that I also chose the goal to get 4 enhancements and I didn't realize that it was going to take a couple scenarios until that was even a possibility to me.

Prioritizing enhancements isn't too hard, but you need to save your money. There are a few cheap ones, especially the +move enhancement, which is pretty useful for the brute.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verviticus posted:

can anyone tell me why some of the level 9 cards have +exp on them? the game even explicitly says in the rules that theres no value in exp after you max out your level. is it just to make that one battle goal difficult?

Keep the door open for expansions probably.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Afriscipio posted:

Prioritizing enhancements isn't too hard, but you need to save your money. There are a few cheap ones, especially the +move enhancement, which is pretty useful for the brute.

It's also worth noting on enhancements that at least one main track gives you 100 free money towards enhancements. I'd assume both do, but I've only done one track obviously

I'm probably retiring my first character on Saturday, the Tinkerer going out at level 6, being replaced with Triforce.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Verviticus posted:

There's a battle goal "Workhorse: gain 13 or more XP in the scenario" which could be used if you have the levels but maybe not all the perks unlocked.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It's also worth noting on enhancements that at least one main track gives you 100 free money towards enhancements. I'd assume both do, but I've only done one track obviously

I'm probably retiring my first character on Saturday, the Tinkerer going out at level 6, being replaced with Triforce.

That scenario was really fun. It was great to only put out a single map tile, until we realized we had to set up all 6 demons. The table spread looked pretty awesome though with them all lined up. Wouldn't have beaten that one without the music note, by far.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

That scenario was really fun. It was great to only put out a single map tile, until we realized we had to set up all 6 demons. The table spread looked pretty awesome though with them all lined up. Wouldn't have beaten that one without the music note, by far.

Yeah, that was great, by the end everyone was a tank and we sacrificed 2 of the 3 party member the last turn to win. Maybe my favorite scenario so far?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, that was great, by the end everyone was a tank and we sacrificed 2 of the 3 party member the last turn to win. Maybe my favorite scenario so far?

It only cost us one, and probably wouldn't have cost us that one if I hadn't brought Potent Potables and never got round to actually using it. I overestimated the need for healing by a lot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

It only cost us one, and probably wouldn't have cost us that one if I hadn't brought Potent Potables and never got round to actually using it. I overestimated the need for healing by a lot.

It was also the known end of the scenario so it was. Stand here and try to take this out. If not eat the hits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ross Perowned posted:

There's a battle goal "Workhorse: gain 13 or more XP in the scenario" which could be used if you have the levels but maybe not all the perks unlocked.

Also the converse one called Layabout I think, which is a 2-tick, 7 or less XP. The XP can be a penalty sometimes..

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

We're about to do 36 and it looks like it may be even more fun to some extent. Meant to do it first because of the lockout requirements so we're just pretending we are.

Edit: we steamrolled it, so maybe it wasn't the best.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 13, 2018

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

silvergoose posted:

Rep chat, minor non-specific spoilers:

Unless there have been changes in the 2nd printing, negative rep is extremely hard to do. My group made a conscious decision to go negative at the very start and it took a long time to hit -10. We had nearly completed the game before we got the maximum negative unlock, and that was largely from farming one specific city event.

Conversely, in an alternate party we got the +20 unlock super quickly.

The problem is that the game is littered with "mandatory" rep improvements from main scenarios and often rep increases are not well telegraphed on many event cards. Our journey to -20 was very much 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Actually, anyone know why scenario 36 (also discusses 27) gives The Rift Neutralized? The text doesn't actually imply that anything changes, and you can still then go to 27 and close it because there's no lockout on it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oozes + 2P + Two characters that don't deal enough damage = a frustrating experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Oozes + 2P + Two characters that don't deal enough damage = a frustrating experience.

Completely agreed. Describes what was probably one of my least favorite scenario experiences so far.