Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I am just wondering what it would have been like had Jiren had Toppo's personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He probably would have been 30 to 40% less flamboyant I think.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Jiren would have looked better with a bushy moustache.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
So this interview pretty much confirms Toriyama hates Tien. Wonder how many ideas they floated by him only for Toriyama to go "No! This is how Tien goes out. In shame."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Them tossing in some filler wouldn't really necessitate us losing stuff, they would just need to compress some of the ToP a little, like not spending an entire episode on the stupid sniper poo poo and maybe not devoting an entire episode to U4's boring gimmicks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Slightly Absurd posted:

slice of life episodes are some of the best. so Marron punching a poacher into a fine mist could've been awesome

edit: speaking of, Marron should be like, crazy strong by dbz standards, right? Krillin is the strongest human, and 18 is above SSJ levels, using lamarckian dbz bullshit, that's gotta result in a crazy strong little girl. Chi-chi, Bulma, and Videl aren't that strong, so Marron should be on course for like, GoD+ level strong

Chi-chi trained a Super Saiyan by herself.

Chi chi is on Tier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chi Chi might honestly be stronger than Yamcha at this point

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Chi-chi trained a Super Saiyan by herself.

Chi chi is on Tier.

Not to diminish her, but Chi-chi basically gave birth to a super saiyan, like Bulma and Videl

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I am just wondering what it would have been like had Jiren had Toppo's personality.

That’s pretty much what happened with the Xenoverse 2 DLC.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Awesomesaurus posted:

That’s pretty much what happened with the Xenoverse 2 DLC.

Yeah the whole xenoverse 2 Jiren makes way more sense now

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
For the ending, please let Frieza extensively monologue, ohohoho and YOOOOO! as he beats the poo poo out of an exhausted Jiren only to finally ring him out with a gentle push and just as he is gonna get his wish he is pulled back to hell

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheHan posted:

So this interview pretty much confirms Toriyama hates Tien. Wonder how many ideas they floated by him only for Toriyama to go "No! This is how Tien goes out. In shame."

Probably zero. Nobody cares about three eyes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i love tienshinhan, and respect him as the strongest human.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Countblanc posted:

i love tienshinhan, and respect him as the strongest human.

Triclopses aren't humans, idiot

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Countblanc posted:

i love Krillin, and respect him as the strongest human.
Same.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sockser posted:

Triclopses aren't humans, idiot

Yeah but Krillin was born without a nose, making him a mutant at least.

Which of course means that the real strongest human is my man Mr. Satan.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well of course Mr. Satan is the strongest human. Do the words "World Champion" mean nothing to you?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I feel like I'd read at one point that Tien was toriyamas favorite character? He is wishy washy though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kanos posted:

Them tossing in some filler wouldn't really necessitate us losing stuff, they would just need to compress some of the ToP a little, like not spending an entire episode on the stupid sniper poo poo and maybe not devoting an entire episode to U4's boring gimmicks.

The gimmicks weren't necessarily boring, they just seem boring because they stuffed them all into one episode and dealt with them immediately.

Seriously, what's the total screen-time for Hologram Guy from introduction to elimination? 90 seconds?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well of course Mr. Satan is the strongest human. Do the words "World Champion" mean nothing to you?

Not anymore. Not when there is a universal champion!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheHan posted:

Toryiama was probably not specific at all about the build up so I'm still gonna pin that one on toei.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stairmaster posted:

Toryiama was probably not specific at all about the build up so I'm still gonna pin that one on toei.

That seems silly considering the interview is pretty clear he was very hands on for all that stuff.

Plus he is the dude who wrote Tien shows up to get owned by Buu part.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The gimmicks weren't necessarily boring, they just seem boring because they stuffed them all into one episode and dealt with them immediately.

Seriously, what's the total screen-time for Hologram Guy from introduction to elimination? 90 seconds?

I forgot that dude even existed

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It didn't help that Quitela was still all smug about his Universe, even after Jiren showed off how powerful he is. Like seriously, a weak invisible guy, a bug, and a weak illusion maker were gonna take down Jiren? Confidence can be a good thing, but that's just outright delusion right there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
on the flipside, Anilaza was amazing

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pureauthor posted:

on the flipside, Anilaza was amazing

Anilaza also had way better smug faces than Quitela.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
regarding the finale spoiler: I kinda hope Frieza wishes everyone back, so that Every Single Being In 8 Universes Owes Him Their Lives. Imagine how much free real estate he can manage when there's at least six gods of destruction tripping over each other to bow to him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That little blue guy had way too good of an "I'm secretly dangerous" design to end up a gag kill, goddammit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Tien was also world champion.

It's the superfight we all deserve to see (since we already got Satan v Goku).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Stairmaster posted:

They've built up some goodwill with me since it was their idea to bring back Vegito, and they created Best Character 2k17 Kale (which created Fan Favorite 2k17 Caulifla). And then there's the Yamcha Baseball episode. These writers are alright.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell most of the major issues are either confirmed or rumored to be by Toryiama so blaming Toei at this point for any story beat is insane.

Pacing issues on the other hand......

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the writing problems with this arc would be way better accepted if it was like half as long. You could take out the reaction shots alone and it would probably be most of the way there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheHan posted:

They've built up some goodwill with me since it was their idea to bring back Vegito, and they created Best Character 2k17 Kale (which created Fan Favorite 2k17 Caulifla). And then there's the Yamcha Baseball episode. These writers are alright.

tbf they created kale as a boring broly clone because shounen execs will never stop jacking off about broly

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

actually, kale was good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Momomo posted:

I think the writing problems with this arc would be way better accepted if it was like half as long. You could take out the reaction shots alone and it would probably be most of the way there.

Just cut the participating universes way down

the show cannot handle eighty loving characters in one arc and the idea of it was baffling to begin with

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

actually, kale was good

:hai:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Caulifla owned

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

actually, kale was good

kale was good but the first draft from toei was absolutely just broly again

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Just cut the participating universes way down

the show cannot handle eighty loving characters in one arc and the idea of it was baffling to begin with

or just have people be eliminated offscreen instead of giving every single fight screentime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

they could have even used quick cuts during other fights to show fighters like Toppo [or anyone else really] casually ringing out scrub characters from any other universe, so that it actually seems like fights are going on in the background