Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

gay picnic defence posted:

What’s the best way of attaching moss to a chunk of wood? Just bind it on with some fishing line?

Yeah, I have used glue - its okay but not great. I've moved to cotton twine/thread, and it seems to be a good mix. What I do now is a bit of glue, and then the twine - seems to really anchor it well.

I need to move the 5lbs of java moss from my quarantine tank to my main one once the fish in there are good (later this week, its been a month, zero issues). Give something for my cory fry to really hide under/in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Holy poo poo the pump on the new tank jammed and filter was not running, maybe all day! Maybe all last night too, I'm not sure. I'm very thankful for the wavemaker I put in to keep circulation going even if the filter had nothing going through it. Pulled the pump to bits, nothing stuck in it, nothing broken, put it back together, works again so it is a mystery. Noticed one tetra looking a bit rough but not sure if thats from when I had the wavemaker pointing directly into the tank instead of at the wall, and the flow was a bit too strong I think. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Tomorrow will be final gudgeon and shrimp removal from the old tank, and since the new filter had a slight malfunction I will try to at least temporarily get the old canister on the new tank somehow, even if it looks ugly, just to ease everything along.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I’ve tried both super glue and cotton twine. The cotton seems to work better and it disintegrates after a few weeks. Fishing line is permanent though so it might do alright with moss species that don’t grab onto wood that well

So it should form a bit of a mat over the surface of the wood after a few weeks?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’ve found when tying moss onto stuff if you do it too thick the bottom layers die off from lack of light/circulation and it doesn’t stick. You only want a couple of layers at most. Cutting the moss up into smaller pieces rather than tying a big wad seems to result in bushier new growth later. For a leafy moss like fissidens I wouldn’t recommend cutting it up though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I started off gluing it on in small clumps the. As it got bigger I tied it onto branches and trimmed some to add to another part of the tank. The moss has been in there since the end I last year and it’s reaching a point where it’ll need a trim back to stop it taking over the tank. Some sections of the moss are getting close to 15cms long and I can tell the flow isn’t great cause the lower portions have algae. It doesn’t worry me too much though and the shrimp seem to enjoy it.
I still have got any baby shrimp from the ones that I got. The girls keep getting bigger and every time they get close they also moult and loose the eggs they where carrying. Haven’t seen any signs of eggs in the tank either just the discarded skin.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any reason why I'm seeing nitrates after a week of setting up my new 2.6g tank but no ammonia or nitrates?

Sprinkled in some fish food and had my ammonia at about 1ppm before the weekend. Came in to the office this morning to a bunch of brown algae and no ammonia whatsoever. I'm not cycled am I? Did takes a pretty gross sponge from another tank to seed and the tank is pretty small....

Here the tank after a heavy algae cleaning

Also, any issues with a Betta fish at work if I'm unable to feed it on the weekends? I can sort out a vacation if I'm gone for a week etc, but I'm wondering how it would handle not being fed for 2 or 3 days if it's a long weekend

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 1, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I still have got any baby shrimp from the ones that I got. The girls keep getting bigger and every time they get close they also moult and loose the eggs they where carrying. Haven’t seen any signs of eggs in the tank either just the discarded skin.

How long ago did you get the shrimp? When the eggs hatch the babies are the size of their mom's eye. Ridiculously small, and translucent to boot. It can take a month before they get big and bold enough to be seen as tiny shrimplets hanging out with the adults.

Oh, and check your filter if you haven't. They are teeny tiny little guys, so they can get past many intake guards and get into the filter, where they are perfectly happy eating bits of debris free from danger (as long as they don't get mulched by the impeller).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

w00tmonger posted:

Any reason why I'm seeing nitrates after a week of setting up my new 2.6g tank but no ammonia or nitrates?

Sprinkled in some fish food and had my ammonia at about 1ppm before the weekend. Came in to the office this morning to a bunch of brown algae and no ammonia whatsoever. I'm not cycled am I? Did takes a pretty gross sponge from another tank to seed and the tank is pretty small....

Also, any issues with a Betta fish at work if I'm unable to feed it on the weekends? I can sort out a vacation if I'm gone for a week etc, but I'm wondering how it would handle not being fed for 2 or 3 days if it's a long weekend

You took a hunk of filter media from a cycled tank and put it in your new filter? Yeah, could be cycled. You don't cycle a tank, you cycle a filter.

Fish can go a while without eating. One fish group I was in years ago recommended that if your vacation was less than 2 weeks you just let them ride it out, because they were less likely die from starvation than from their tank be fouled by those vacation feeders or a well-meaning helper dumping in way too much food. That of course depends on the variety of fish and other factors, but most pet fish are overfed and won't be hurt by a 2 day fast out of every 7.

Food may not be the biggest hazard for office fish though. Many offices will turn down the heat or air conditioning on weekends or at night to save money, because an empty office going down to 60F or up to 90F is no big deal. Fish really don't like sudden temperature swings like that though. So while a betta can survive at normal room temperature without a heater, he may not survive a winter where the night time room temp drops to 60F and his little tank would really need a heater. Not sure what you could do for summer heat waves if they turn the air con off on weekends though, it might be best just to take him home with you during extreme weather events. So something to look into.

Oh, and make sure that if you have heaters or pumps or whatever plugged in that they aren't likely to be unplugged when the janitor does the floors.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

The tanks got a 25watt hydor so I'm not too worried there. Heat shouldn't be an issue as the building is a pretty accurate heavy office tower.

I'm thinking I add some food tommorow and see if there's any change in a couple days. Fully considering just getting the Betta and going with it as well. I'm gonna be doing weekly water changes and im in front of it every day of I really need to up that schedule.

Also I'll be hiding the fish food for the fucker because that's definitely my first concern

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Nitrates or Nitrites? typically the bacteria that processes nitrites is slower to grow than the one that processes ammonia. So its normal to be out of ammonia but not nitrites at first, and then you have to top up the ammonia to make sure the ammonia bacteria doesn't starve while you're waiting for the nitrite bacteria to establish. It took about 2 weeks for my fry grow out tank to be fully cycled, and that was using a preseeded filter that I moved from a different tank (but it was new and not sufficiently seeded to use outright). I kept testing and adding a little more ammonia every couple of days until today there was not a trace of nitrite, then I did a water change and was ready to go!

Tank looks nice, what's that plant called that you're using for a carpet? I see it fairly often in aquascapes online and I'm pretty sure its some kind of Marsilea but the species I see here are like a pond plant that grows four leaves and has long stems to the surface.

A lot of people give their betta a no food day once a week, and it probably would be fine for a couple of days but by day 3 I don't know what would happen. You could always get an autofeeder, they do seem to make ones that are sized for bettas. Bettas like it warm so especially in a small tank, I'd be worried about a heater malfunction cooking or freezing your fish with no one to check it for 3 days. For an office tank that might be unattended I think neocaridina shrimp might be a safer bet, they don't really need a heater and they don't need feeding every day since they are happy picking at biofilm. But that's just my bias, I've been burned too many times (no pun intended) by heater failures. They seem to be the most unreliable part by far.

Shrimp get better at motherhood as they get older and bigger and their egg storage zone gets deeper. They also shed less often as they get bigger because they grow slower. If they're too warm they'll grow faster and shed more often, and this might not be giving their eggs time to develop. As long as you are seeing berried shrimp and there is lots of cover in your tank, you'll get babies eventually. If you don't have a sponge prefilter over your filter inlet the babies will go in there for sure!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The shrimp have been in there for close to six months all up and I’ve checked the filter but don’t see anything in it. I have noticed one of the gourami poking around the moss pretty consistently so perhaps they’re being born then not making it. Getting a few more couldn’t hurt either. I believe they’re Darwin algae shrimp so 24 degrees shouldn’t be too hot for them

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nitrates. Sponge is from a well established tank so I think it's related to that.

Carpet is glossostigma and I'm really likely it so far.

I have Monte Carlo in my tank at home and it's really nice but this stuff seems to level out really nicely and almost vines along the bottom of the tank

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 1, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The shrimp have been in there for close to six months all up and I’ve checked the filter but don’t see anything in it. I have noticed one of the gourami poking around the moss pretty consistently so perhaps they’re being born then not making it. Getting a few more couldn’t hurt either. I believe they’re Darwin algae shrimp so 24 degrees shouldn’t be too hot for them

That might be your problem right there, if I remember their young have a planktonic stage, they might need brackish conditions to survive. So much like amanos they eat algae and don’t breed well in captivity. Native shrimp from coastal areas tend to have this lifecycle, if I recall Darwin red nose shrimp also have planktonic young, and coastal riffles require brackish water too. I’ve bred native chameleon shrimp before and paratya seem to breed okay too but neither of those species are particularly into eating algae.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That does make sense actually. Maybe I can get some red cherry shrimp to add to the hoard. The ones that are in there are kinda cool though and they freak my partner out. She doesn’t like the egg fanning stuff at all.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So I might be getting 2 gold fish soon - My husband's work has 2 gold fish in a 10 gallon tank along with a Cory - So he might be coming home with them soon - put the 2 gold fish in my 30 gallon tank (I still think it's a little too small for 2 goldfish but it's better than 2 in a 10 gallon) and put the cory in my 5 gallon. - I told him to bring over some bleach so I can completely clean out both of the tanks.

He doesn't know much about fish but he knows that tank is way too small for the fishies. I tried to explain to him why a cory should not be with goldfish - he doesn't understand why they they don't go together well, tried to explain it to him and his response was they are friends after half an hour of telling him why they shouldn't be in the same tank ----- Fortunatly I'm the one who cares for the animals and not him

----now that I am thinking about it I have never seen the tank - I hope what he is calling a cory isn't a pleco.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have suggestions for riparian ferns? I'm going back to growing crap out of HOB filters because I love the look and my tank gets great morning sun in the new place.

I'm thinking two cheap HOBs, one with a fern and one with a flowering plant, probably peace lilies but I'm open to suggestions there too, really.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any complaints about having a nerite snail with a Betta in a 2.6g fluval spec 3?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Any complaints about having a nerite snail with a Betta in a 2.6g fluval spec 3?

Always an interesting experiment to find out how cranky your betta is. If you get a female nerite (if I remember correctly they aren't hermaphroditic) you'll get hard white infertile eggs all over everything. Nerites'll eat the algae and look pretty though, if your betta approves of the company.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cool, Betta in a 9g at home with some shrimp no problem. Mainly concerned about enough food to passively feed the nerite and not having too much bioload

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for riparian ferns? I'm going back to growing crap out of HOB filters because I love the look and my tank gets great morning sun in the new place.

I'm thinking two cheap HOBs, one with a fern and one with a flowering plant, probably peace lilies but I'm open to suggestions there too, really.

I don't know about terrestrial ferns but does water sprite work emersed? There are probably some good plant lists for plants that can survive being very wet if you look for info on paludariums. Bog plants would possibly work. Personally I've been looking for plants that stand up once they reach the water/air interface instead of flopping over, I want to try running something that's more aquatic than a paludarium but is still heavily planted. Not too many ideas yet.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my aquarium is really hot right now (80) bc we haven't had AC until literally just this afternoon. my fish have seemed fine the last couple of weeks with the living room temperature being between 75-85, but a few minutes ago i found one of the larger cory cats (so possibly one of my very old ones) laying on their back??????? just hanging out like that. i took the cory out but need to get a clearer container if i want to study it and take pictures. it doesn't look very abnormal to me so i have no idea what's going on, since the rest of the fish seem fine.

gonna do a water change and gradually get the temperature down over the next day or two with the AC on.

e: if there was something up with my water i would've assumed the betta or tetras would be the first to show it

snoo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 4, 2018

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't know about terrestrial ferns but does water sprite work emersed?as yet.

I've grown it a few inches above the surface. An inch or so is okay, but then it started to dry out if it was still underneath the lights. Routing outside the lights worked for 3-4", and would probably work for more.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

The Snoo posted:

my aquarium is really hot right now (80) bc we haven't had AC until literally just this afternoon. my fish have seemed fine the last couple of weeks with the living room temperature being between 75-85, but a few minutes ago i found one of the larger cory cats (so possibly one of my very old ones) laying on their back??????? just hanging out like that. i took the cory out but need to get a clearer container if i want to study it and take pictures. it doesn't look very abnormal to me so i have no idea what's going on, since the rest of the fish seem fine.

gonna do a water change and gradually get the temperature down over the next day or two with the AC on.

e: if there was something up with my water i would've assumed the betta or tetras would be the first to show it

I haven't dealt with having a tank in an area that hot in a while - but I used to keep a couple frozen bottle waters on top of the tank so the cold sinks and doesn't leave just one extremely cold spot with it floating in the water. But the lid on my tanks are all mesh - it might not work very well with a regualy solid plastic tank topper.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

80 degrees really isn't hot, that's in the normal range for tropical fish. It's common to raise the temps to 85-90 to combat ich, and I've had tanks sit at that temp for several weeks with no ill effect to the fish. Just make sure you have plenty of water movement and surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I did read that they can tolerate up to 85 degrees but their usual temperature is 70-75 depending on the season. I wanted to float ice bottles but we were using them all to keep our rats cool since they will probably die above 82 degrees.

I quarantined the catfish but it doesn't seem to be improving. it'll swim around if I nudge it but it just kinda sinks back to the bottom. I really can't see anything physically wrong with it in comparison to the rest of the catfish.

I don't know if it's one of my original 3, or one of their larger children (which are all over 4 years old at this point) but since I'm not seeing any other similar problems, I'm not sure how to proceed. I did a 1/3rd water change in the tank and cleaned the filter bc I think it was a bit blocked up with some rogue java moss.

everyone else looks fine except what I think is neon tetra disease, again, in one of my oldest tetras. lookin a bit bendy and chubby. I think my remaining two original tetras are 4 years old now, too. goddamn it

my catfish have been through 3 tanks, 2 different moves, at least half a dozen tank breakdowns or cycles, and my oldest girl went through a lot of trial and error and mistakes (and week-long hospital stays where no one took care of my tank and everything died but her) in my first aquarium when I was 16-17, so this is just really shocking to me.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shakenbaker posted:

Ever since I first saw photos here of people using big Aquaclears as plant containers, I've been wanting cheap and huge HOB boxes that aren't actually filters just for this kind of thing.
And what do you know, they already exist! Under Hagen's economy line, Marina. If the default airline setup is too slow-flowing for you, there's plenty of small water pumps that'll fit the intake tube.
As far as I can tell from photos, the actual physical HOB box on the Marina large is nearly identical to Finnex's HOB refugium, which comes with water pump and optional variations on lights.

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't know about terrestrial ferns but does water sprite work emersed? There are probably some good plant lists for plants that can survive being very wet if you look for info on paludariums. Bog plants would possibly work. Personally I've been looking for plants that stand up once they reach the water/air interface instead of flopping over, I want to try running something that's more aquatic than a paludarium but is still heavily planted. Not too many ideas yet.
I've had water sprite grow emersed on top of other water sprite in the space between the water surface and the tank lid in a severely overgrown tank. In fact, I believe the thinner, stiffer leafed form that water sprite tends to be sold in IS the emersed form - submerged and floating, it's always turned into huge wide fluffy leaves for me. Hell, a lot of non-bunch plants you can get in stores are actually emersed form - my understanding is they grow faster that way so can be produced at a higher rate.

As for further plant suggestions, I don't really know riparian ferns at all. Terrarium Selaginellas might work? Frog specialists will probably be good places to start looking.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

Water sprite could be worth a shot, but I feel like I'd forever be chasing floaters out of the tank because of the spores. Something to think about at least, thanks.

About things that will happily continue growing out of the water, the plants I've had that did that both tend to dry out. Ludwigia repens will absolutely grow from the bottom out of your tank, but the if it's in deepish water then the stems and leaves aren't suited to being out of the water. You can grow it in more shallow water and it does fine, though, or completely out of the water. I had a hygrophilia that I can't remember the specific name of that definitely grew from the bottom out of the tank, but again the stuff over the surface dried out pretty quickly.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Just saw a pic on facebook of someone's tank with peppermint growing out of it! I didn't think of herbs etc that can be grown hydroponically, they'd work in a HOB filter too I bet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys come admire my runaway snail infestation!

These are just the little fuckers I pulled from the top of my little shrimp tank. I'm probably overfeeding it but for the moment I want to make sure the 3 berried moms and already hatched babies aren't starving.

Would an assassin snail eat shrimp? That's the only solution I can see as the shrimp seem sensitive to any chemical warfare.

I also had to turn off the filter at least temporarily as I couldn't cover the filter with anything (it has inlet slots all-around with wadding on inside). I've seen shrimp tanks without filters at all so I assume that's not a big deal for them.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Figured the shrimp would just overpopulate to the extreme (because they were lol) so I got a "Tangerine Lobster" to hopefully act as a single predator.

https://i.imgur.com/dSYbJpl.gifv

Little shrimp are way too fast for Lobster to catch so it decides to just eat all my plants and go full lumberjack in the planted tank.

Now I've got an awesome female Tangerine lobster that gives piggyback rides to all the little shrimp it was intended to eat. :kiddo:

I also figured out that if I bundle all my plants together at the base, the lobster won't care about tearing them to shreds and eating them. I just let them float with the weights on the bottom rather than burying anything now.

https://i.imgur.com/jPNtlYK.gifv
almost got it!

https://i.imgur.com/MKy5fke.gifv
That's great, I might get a lobster or a crab too after these grow up a little!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

Just saw a pic on facebook of someone's tank with peppermint growing out of it! I didn't think of herbs etc that can be grown hydroponically, they'd work in a HOB filter too I bet.

Hmmm, I could give that a shot. There's a large pot of peppermint going in my back yard already, so it would be easy to see. Makes sense too, because peppermint is a hybrid of spearmint and water mint.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014

Shakenbaker posted:

I grow pothos out of my HOB, mostly because I already had a plant to take a cutting off of. It seems to be doing well, though it doesn't grow terribly quick. If your vine gets too long it'll flop over, though.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

seconding pothos!!

my catfish friend died overnight. i buried them in my tomato plant bucket. :rip: little buddy

the rest of my fish seem fine! so i don't know!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In my experience pothos does a little bit too well. I did some in the past and had to get rid of it because it attached to the wall when I wasn't looking.

As an outside plant I love it, though. Around here (Tampa bay) you'll see it running up the live oaks with leaves the size of a human torso.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

How long before superglue is aquarium safe? Thinking about gluing some moss and adding a Betta on the same trip

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

How long before superglue is aquarium safe? Thinking about gluing some moss and adding a Betta on the same trip

Instantly safe, it actually helps to set the glue if you dip it in the tank. Superglue gel is regularly used on live coral, it's totally safe (also great for closing up small cuts on your own self).

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That’s what it was designed for originally but in the field of battle to stop people bleeding out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I managed to break one of my filters tonight. I'm sure it still works, but I can't prime it. The primer button spring seems to be stuffed or half jammed, and there's a tiny bit of air in the intake line which I just can't shift, not even by pouring water up it or using various pump devices to try and force water into it. I worked on it for over an hour trying to get flow to start through the filter as I don't want to lose the cycled media but I think it's a lost cause. Haven't really got room anywhere to chuck the media either, dammit.

fake edit: worked out that if I take the prefilter off, the flow is just strong enough to overcome the bubble and break the airlock. So as its a secondary filter it's probably fine that the sunsun prefilter isn't needed. The seeded media is saved! Hooray!

I got 5 new rosy barbs from a friend! Traded some peacock gudgeons as she has kept some previously and the one survivor she has is doing really well in her community. She has seen the barbs eating her shrimp and suspects them of murdering fry (definitely possible). I had them in the tank while I was vaccing and doing a water change and they were biting the backs of my hands trying to eat the freckles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone here have or has had a native tank? My son wants to do one so I'm going to help him set it up and catch a few small fish from the local pond (Florida) was thinking a few little sunfish and killi fish, maybe some shrimp depending on what we find. Have just read up on cycling a new tank before putting in fish, should I use native plants as well?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Only one I know of is Dan Hiteshew on YouTube who I think is in Maryland. He has had golden shiners, rosy side dace, sculpins, and other fish that I've never heard of before and don't recall (sunfish maybe? Smallmouth bass?) plus feral fish like a Mayan Cichlid and a tilapia. He also gets some kind of crayfish. I imagine the stuff he catches in his local creek isn't going to match a Florida pond that well!

He had issues with flow and oxygenation due to the creek conditions he was getting his fish from, which probably won't be so much of a problem for a warmer florida pond, I would guess you'd be looking at conditions closer to typical tropical fish keeping there. Looks like there are dwarf crayfish native to Florida (cambarellus blacki) so if you find any they might be fun to keep too! I think plants are always a good idea in any tank where plants are possible.

I am always interested in this kind of thing because it's an opportunity to see fish that we just don't experience in the hobby as they are not commercially attractive for whatever reason. Good luck with it and please post pictures :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I know corey from aquarium co-op hasn't kept a full native tank but has gone collecting in Florida. I think a large number of common fish tend to turn up in various ponds and ditches around the place due to dumping and also some kind of flood action. I think there was some event earlier this year that might have killed a bunch though from what I've heard. It may have been an episode of real fish talk but I couldn't tell you which one other than it was before the studio got changed so late last year or early this year.